Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159646 Mar 11, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That can often be avoided, well, almost always be avoided actually. Go ahead, dare you to find one case in which it cannot.
1929 main street.

Location hidden

#159647 Mar 11, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael Jackson is dead?
Really?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159648 Mar 11, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Well worded, but you cleverly ducked the question. You are paid to perform these tasks. My point is this, your worth should never be calculated by others based on pay. Thats sort of a J.P. Morgan philosophy of life.
My worth is NOT based on pay. My worth is based on past performances and fulfilling a project. Of course I get paid but thats not a reflection on my worth. Example, I have a choice between two composers to offer a commission. The pay is exactly the same so my choice is never based on payment but other factors. Creativity, attention to detail, reliability, and completion of the project in a timely fashion. If it's a performance then it's the same thing. I have a choice between two trumpet players, both will be paid the same. Other factor come in to play, but in the end I will be chosen because of my worth, not my pay check.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159649 Mar 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything beyond what it is enabled to detect.
That is anything beyond what the matter and energy we are constructed of can touch or see.
You can not touch or see space, yet it occupies most of our space. It is even within you. All you can detect is what matter isn't there. You can assume some things work though it, such as dark energy and dark matter, but you can't touch it or see it. But science says "they know its there". It has to be because their material observations don't add up with out it.
The very same thing happens with religious beliefs and spirituality.
Anything beyond matter and energy most probably does not exist. It is only imagined, much like your religious beliefs. I can't see oxygen or radio waves but science can prove they exist. Science can see the effects of things and know they exist. Dark matter can be detected by the effects it has on gravity. Gravity can't be seen but its effects are obvious.

We know the orbital period for Pluto even though we have NEVER witnessed one full orbit. I'm surprised at you for such a weak argument. Do better!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159650 Mar 11, 2013
Why I AM Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Logical Truths
Wrong on all three counts, keep trying!!!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159651 Mar 11, 2013
Why I AM Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Mathematics
Your answers keep getting more stupid, keep at it!!! When I find one worthy of comment I'll jump in.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#159652 Mar 11, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael Jackson is dead?
Really?
Elvis put a hit out on him because of that fiasco with his daughter.
bohart

Newport, TN

#159653 Mar 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Anything beyond matter and energy most probably does not exist. It is only imagined, much like your religious beliefs. I can't see oxygen or radio waves but science can prove they exist. Science can see the effects of things and know they exist. Dark matter can be detected by the effects it has on gravity. Gravity can't be seen but its effects are obvious.
We know the orbital period for Pluto even though we have NEVER witnessed one full orbit. I'm surprised at you for such a weak argument. Do better!!!!
Thats an interesting statement, anything beyond matter and energy probably doesn't exist.Why? Obviously something existed before the universe,which consists of matter and energy, what was it? The honest answer is no one knows, but logic says there was something.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159654 Mar 11, 2013
Which is why studying the natural causes is important rather than saying some goofy supernatural deity made it.
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats an interesting statement, anything beyond matter and energy probably doesn't exist.Why? Obviously something existed before the universe,which consists of matter and energy, what was it? The honest answer is no one knows, but logic says there was something.
Lincoln

United States

#159655 Mar 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Which is why studying the natural causes is important rather than saying some goofy supernatural deity made it.
<quoted text>
Possibly valid... throwing in the towel too early?
Definition of God and His powers varies. Atheism seems static

Location hidden

#159656 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly valid... throwing in the towel too early?
Definition of God and His powers varies. Atheism seems static
The definition of God and His powers has always been the same.

Unproven

Location hidden

#159657 Mar 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That can often be avoided, well, almost always be avoided actually. Go ahead, dare you to find one case in which it cannot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebb...

Its regretful that not always does everyone survive a bad situation.
But yes it it can be avoided, it should.
Sometimes the lesser of two evils is the right thing to do.
Lincoln

United States

#159658 Mar 12, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Unproven
The Tao.
The universe divided between what can be proved and what can not.

Atheist contribution that God is unproven leaves them no other comment.:-)

Location hidden

#159659 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Current thinking puts the creation of space/time in the event.
How could matter or energy exist in absence of time or space?
How can anything exist in absence of time?
There was no time for anything to exist in, before time.
So logic say's your assertion , makes no sense.
Unless you simply say , the universe has existed for all of time.

Location hidden

#159660 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tao.
The universe divided between what can be proved and what can not.
Atheist contribution that God is unproven leaves them no other comment.:-)
It will be proved.

To what end? I can't say.

I'll spend my life proving to people that my skills as a surgeon trump your prayers. When I get a count of the instruments and dump my bloody gloves, you can thank God that I was there to save your daughter, wife or grandson.

I'll go home and kiss my girlfriend, God willing, of course.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159661 Mar 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Michael Jackson is dead?

Really?
Yup.

Sorry for your loss.
Lincoln

United States

#159662 Mar 12, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be proved.
To what end? I can't say.
I'll spend my life proving to people that my skills as a surgeon trump your prayers. When I get a count of the instruments and dump my bloody gloves, you can thank God that I was there to save your daughter, wife or grandson.
I'll go home and kiss my girlfriend, God willing, of course.
Quote from a film, whose name I forget..this speech on youtube
Soldiers saved in battle by fellow soldiers...
Interesting, again proves nothing

Location hidden

#159663 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote from a film, whose name I forget..this speech on youtube
Soldiers saved in battle by fellow soldiers...
Interesting, again proves nothing
Random thoughts from a random thinker?

Interesting, again proves nothing.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#159664 Mar 12, 2013
Imaginary friends are notorious like that.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Unproven

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#159665 Mar 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebb...
Its regretful that not always does everyone survive a bad situation.
But yes it it can be avoided, it should.
Sometimes the lesser of two evils is the right thing to do.
Killing innocent people can be avoided.

Read my above sentence carefully, I am talking about willfully killing people who have done nothing wrong, and saying it "can" be avoided. I did not say it is avoided, I did not say criminals, I did not say idiots who place themselves in danger willingly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min eyeful 175,726
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Pokay 776,211
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 11 min lil whispers 605,146
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min onemale 265,265
US modern-day slaves 16 min UIDIOTRACEuMAKEWO... 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min June VanDerMark 559,808
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 36 min lovewithin 39,355
More from around the web