Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#158892 Mar 7, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
OK clever clog, know-it-all sheepy boy, what's your theory?
My 'theory'? My hypothesis is, there is only one or two trolls on here playing the part of several people. All they have to do to get attention is, deny science and hide in it's gaps. I don't think that these trolls are interested in learning science or about christianity, they are just interested in the fight.

Can you imagine the christ talking about a donkey punch or sloppy seconds? Only a troll would say such things.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158893 Mar 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Shhhhh...<looks from side to side - whispers> Dave knows thingies.
Or something like that.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158894 Mar 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't marry for love, legally.
Marriage has never been about "love". It has always been a breeding contract.

This "love" thing they like to push is bullshit pulled from romance novels.

Individuals can be fuzzy headed and survive. When society itself gets fuzzy headed, it will die.
Imhotep

Brandon, FL

#158895 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, sorry.
Oh, lo siento.¿Qué tal esto?
Deja de quejarte y cortar el césped de mierda, beaner.
Try harder RR

Você já se perguntou o que sua vida teria sido se você tivesse oxigênio suficiente no nascimento?
Imhotep

Brandon, FL

#158896 Mar 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are looking more at matters of doctrine than stifling science. Bringing the faithful under one roof in the areas they controlled.
It was Julius Caesar that caused the big fire at Alexandria. That was BC. There was another fire or two later, and that was to get rid of the blood sacrifice religions. You have to understand that blood sacrifices were not nice things. Would you like to still have them practiced widely?
As the Roman Empire collapsed transportation was no longer safe as little kingdoms and banditry became the norm. You had a powerful empire that kept order now crumbling around your ears. The storehouses of knowledge were isolated. Plus the Romans weren't known for science and math. It was the church that gathered old knowledge and created the first universities. It was their unification of Europe that got the ball rolling. Getting that all together took more than a week or ten days.
Quit listening to those stupid talking points which are designed to maximize a bad portrayal, and minimize the good they did.
If nothing else, the Catholic Church stopped ALL blood sacrifices.
The Coptics went their own way in Egypt. That was the earliest churches.
Extreme controversy surrounds any discussion of the Catholic Church's role in genocide and crimes against humanity. Several issues need to be highlighted in seeking to unravel this controversy.

First is the allegation that the Church was directly responsible for the drive toward colonialism in issuing papal bulls that commanded states such as Portugal to spread Catholicism. One might argue that these declarations led European nation-states to believe that it was their right to acquire territories abroad. The fact that crimes against humanity were committed during colonial conquest is uncontested.

A second criticism often leveled against the Church is that it has failed in its moral duty to condemn or guide leaders and populations in curbing genocidal tendencies. Such an argument claims that the Church, by virtue of its proclaimed aim of spiritual guidance, ought to have played a more significant role in the prevention of crimes against humanity and genocide.

The third and fiercest criticism of the Church, however, is that it has furthered genocidal tendencies. This remains the harshest criticism and goes beyond moral arguments to an examination of evidence suggesting that elements of the Church have colluded with forces perpetrating crimes against humanity and genocide.

http://www.enotes.com/catholic-church-referen...

http://devilthinking.com/catholic.html

Ah , the wonder of faith and gods <rolls eyes>

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#158897 Mar 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are looking more at matters of doctrine than stifling science. Bringing the faithful under one roof in the areas they controlled.
The history doesn't support that interpretation. For example, it was the *Christian* emperors that banned Plato's academy.
It was Julius Caesar that caused the big fire at Alexandria.
No, that was the *first* fire, but it was mostly at the ship docks nearby the library and was certainly not intentional on the part of Caesar.
That was BC. There was another fire or two later, and that was to get rid of the blood sacrifice religions. You have to understand that blood sacrifices were not nice things. Would you like to still have them practiced widely?
Again, incorrect history. The Christians were the ones that stirred up things against Hypatia, for example. The sacrifices there were not human sacrifices (the typical understanding of blood sacrifices) and were actually not common during the late 4th century. It shoudl also be understood that this was a way of distributing meat to the poor. It was Theodosius that later ordered the library sacked (although it lasted until the Moslems came along and finally destroyed the last remnants.
As the Roman Empire collapsed
You mean the Roman empire under the *Christian* emperors?
Plus the Romans weren't known for science and math. It was the church that gathered old knowledge and created the first universities.
Again, the universities were *much* later than the collapse of the Roman empire. They were a response to the knowledge of the Islamic lands, not of the fall of Rome.
Quit listening to those stupid talking points which are designed to maximize a bad portrayal, and minimize the good they did.
And you should quit looking at the apologetic sites and quit minimizing the harm they did.
If nothing else, the Catholic Church stopped ALL blood sacrifices.
And brought along a 500 year period of ignorance and chaos. That goes from the fall of Rome to the beginning of the translation movement.

Location hidden

#158898 Mar 7, 2013
These passing judgments on history to bolster arguments is bullshit. It is how you got here.

So is the rewriting history that goes with it.

Have a dying hard drive on this laptop. Would say more, but you can take the above as the truth.

Right now I am trying to pull a Lazarus.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158899 Mar 7, 2013
Why?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Would say more, but you can take the above as the truth.

Location hidden

#158900 Mar 7, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why?
<quoted text>
Because it is.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158901 Mar 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't marry for love, legally.
O_o

Then what, they can marry for money?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158902 Mar 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Just when I thought you couldn't be more stupid...
I see you have no thoughts.

Thanks for clearing that up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158904 Mar 7, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Try harder RR
Você já se perguntou o que sua vida teria sido se você tivesse oxigênio suficiente no nascimento?
Portugese, Spanish....

What's the difference.....
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158906 Mar 7, 2013
Is it an axiom?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it is.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#158907 Mar 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Einstein got his smarts from sitting in a patent office and reading the theories and applications that crossed his desk, then thinking and coming up with his own theories. Some of which is wrong. Why no grand unification theory.
He read. He thought.
You just read.
Yes and much of which is right, your sat nav would not work without his theories, television is an application of his theory of light. His musings helped to prove the existence of atoms and molecules.

Science is working an a unifying theory, your god is not so why no god magic?

I read an learn, read and learn and lets face facts here reading is far better than davesworld day dreaming

#158908 Mar 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
you just continue to make the blind assertion that you are correct in spite of this, that is a sign of delusion, you are incapable of admitting you are wrong.
That is the davesworld way.

#158910 Mar 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The infinite regression argument is invalid against existence of God, as it is stipulated as "eternal" - independent of time.
It works against items such as plants, animals, the universe, as they are not independent of time.
Where is the evidence of this, I would be very pleased to read it, as I am sure just about everyone else, god believers and otherwise would like.

In fact if you can provide such evidence I really think you would have it made, You would solve a millennia old quandary, people have been looking for thousands of years and no evidence found, anywhere. Just think you would be rich and famous beyond avarice.

Location hidden

#158913 Mar 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and much of which is right, your sat nav would not work without his theories, television is an application of his theory of light. His musings helped to prove the existence of atoms and molecules.
Science is working an a unifying theory, your god is not so why no god magic?
I read an learn, read and learn and lets face facts here reading is far better than davesworld day dreaming
That sat nav and most other thingies came about from building on existing technology and trial and error, not his theories. Those technologies were set up by others. Faraday for one.

You really don't know what you know. You are just too full of hate to think clearly.
Imhotep

Brandon, FL

#158914 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Portugese, Spanish....
What's the difference.....
English,Patois what is the difference?

What do you DARE to think?

Existe um Deus
¿Hay un Dios

It's that tower of babble that gas you confused.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158915 Mar 7, 2013
ChristineM is mildly dyslexic. Spell checkers don't catch everything.

btw, your last sentence doesn't even parse.
Lies Buster wrote:
<quoted text>Please learn to read before you write. I see that you have used commas, so I must conclude that you ran out of them, before you failed to utilize commas where needed.
Also, it should be "I read and learn", not "I read an learn".
Also, did you mean "Dave's world".
What is "Science is working an a unifying theory"? Did you mean "Science is working on a unifying theory.
If mathematicians are not working on solving 1+1 = 2 and why 1+1 is not = to 0, then why would God be working on a unifying theory?
What is 0 x %(infinity)- 1 /0 +(1/0)=?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158916 Mar 7, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
English,Patois what is the difference?
What do you DARE to think?
Existe um Deus
¿Hay un Dios
It's that tower of babble that gas you confused.
Eh?

Gas doesn't confuse me, you're thinking of dr shrink & Phil...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min who 264,930
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min UidiotraceuMAkeWo... 4,622
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min ChristineM 773,005
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min WildWeirdWillie 175,465
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Anthony MN 558,620
Moses never existed 12 min Khatru 701
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 20 min AnnieJ 604,724