Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158842 Mar 6, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You wish you were having sex.
Donkey punch is a slang term for a fictitious sexual practice supposedly performed during doggy style sex, particularly anal sex. The purported practice involves the penetrating partner punching the receiving partner on the back of the head or in the lower back to make the receiving partner's anal or vaginal passage tense up, thus increasing the pleasure of the penetrative partner.[1][2] In fact, there is no reflex in humans that would cause such tensing in response to a blow on the head, although striking a partner on the back of the neck or head could cause severe, even lethal injury.[3]
I see you've never tried it on Mrs TBS.....

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#158844 Mar 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, not the foggiest!
Phileas Fogg ?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#158845 Mar 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
LMAO.....I'M LOST!!
Check your map!

You're in Funky Town.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158846 Mar 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Who? future? u met future and he's a guy? that's sexist!!
It's sexist to be a guy?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158847 Mar 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I think I've already taken the joke one iteration past a mere statement of fact. Do keep up.
<quoted text>
So that's a no?

Location hidden

#158848 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
*explicit*, not explicate....
me derp
Wat are you babbling about now ?

Location hidden

#158849 Mar 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Seniors deciding dates? Sounds like carbon dating. Still, it's nice when people show an interest.
<quoted text>
Chicks dig the fossil ...lol

Location hidden

#158850 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a very detailed form of your relatives and life history used for security clearance background checks.
Darwin is not my god.
DNA studies, medical histories of families, and even simple old geneaology can get wackydoodled real good once gay marriage gets good and entrenched. Just imagine some kid looking at his family history with a great granddaddy who married 3 guys and had a surrogate mother involved in his birth with one of them. Who's his great grandmommy?
It's madness run rampant.
sounds like another Christ child to meh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158851 Mar 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Wat are you babbling about now ?
Something about exercise.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158853 Mar 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> sounds like another Christ child to meh?
Or maybe a grandchild?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#158854 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you've never tried it on Mrs TBS.....
Yeah, punching a woman is more of a redneck thing.

It does however, explain the bruising that I have seen on your sheep.

Location hidden

#158856 Mar 6, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, punching a woman is more of a redneck thing.
It does however, explain the bruising that I have seen on your sheep.
You were getting sloppy seconds?

Location hidden

#158857 Mar 6, 2013
I guess he was. That seemed to shut him up.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#158858 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The real problem was the Roman Empire, and its transportation and info sharing got fragmented. The Church was the one that gathered it together.
Time period is crucial here. The church of the 5th and 6th centuries (at the end of Roman times) was definitely NOT involved in pulling information together. If anything, it was actively attempting to destroy the 'pagan' learning at, for example, the library at Alexandria. By identifying the knowledge of the Greeks as pagan, the Christians cut themselves (and western Europe) off from the advanced made.

Much later, after the crusades, the church did bring together some of the Islamic knowledge and translated a number of important texts into Latin. After a while, Europe was able to extend the advances made in the Islamic lands, which eventually lead to the scientific revolution in the 16th and 17th centuries.
The excommunications may have been related more to exposure to a heretic religion than the information gained. Burned and banned books would have been those available to the general public, not those in the possession of the Church for study. Mass media control.
Even those in the church needed to agree with the overall tenets of the church. Even Thomas Aquinas was ex-communicated. Many texts were banned, even for monks and priests, until a doctorate of theology was obtained. Yes, indeed, it was information control. Not a good sign and a typical tactic of oppressors.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#158859 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Two males can get married. Once can himself the wife.
But they ain't gonna have any babies carrying both their genes. One might if he finds a woman to carry one for him. She is the only one that can play the role of momma.
Hey Dave, where did you hide Eagle12?

Location hidden

#158860 Mar 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Time period is crucial here. The church of the 5th and 6th centuries (at the end of Roman times) was definitely NOT involved in pulling information together. If anything, it was actively attempting to destroy the 'pagan' learning at, for example, the library at Alexandria. By identifying the knowledge of the Greeks as pagan, the Christians cut themselves (and western Europe) off from the advanced made.
Much later, after the crusades, the church did bring together some of the Islamic knowledge and translated a number of important texts into Latin. After a while, Europe was able to extend the advances made in the Islamic lands, which eventually lead to the scientific revolution in the 16th and 17th centuries.
<quoted text>
Even those in the church needed to agree with the overall tenets of the church. Even Thomas Aquinas was ex-communicated. Many texts were banned, even for monks and priests, until a doctorate of theology was obtained. Yes, indeed, it was information control. Not a good sign and a typical tactic of oppressors.
I think you are looking more at matters of doctrine than stifling science. Bringing the faithful under one roof in the areas they controlled.

It was Julius Caesar that caused the big fire at Alexandria. That was BC. There was another fire or two later, and that was to get rid of the blood sacrifice religions. You have to understand that blood sacrifices were not nice things. Would you like to still have them practiced widely?

As the Roman Empire collapsed transportation was no longer safe as little kingdoms and banditry became the norm. You had a powerful empire that kept order now crumbling around your ears. The storehouses of knowledge were isolated. Plus the Romans weren't known for science and math. It was the church that gathered old knowledge and created the first universities. It was their unification of Europe that got the ball rolling. Getting that all together took more than a week or ten days.

Quit listening to those stupid talking points which are designed to maximize a bad portrayal, and minimize the good they did.

If nothing else, the Catholic Church stopped ALL blood sacrifices.

The Coptics went their own way in Egypt. That was the earliest churches.

Location hidden

#158861 Mar 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dave, where did you hide Eagle12?
There should be a comma after Hey.

Didn't he live in Illinois? I think they got hit with a blizzard.

Location hidden

#158862 Mar 6, 2013
"Many scholars such as Jerome visited the school of Alexandria to exchange ideas and to communicate directly with its scholars. The scope of this school was not limited to theological subjects; science, mathematics and humanities were also taught there. The question-and-answer method of commentary began there, and 15 centuries before Braille, wood-carving techniques were in use there by blind scholars to read and write."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Orthodox_...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#158863 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There should be a comma after Hey.
Didn't he live in Illinois? I think they got hit with a blizzard.
Hey, Dave, yeah, blizzard.

Location hidden

#158864 Mar 6, 2013
This digital age allows you to sit and click and retrieve information that is beyond belief even a few decades ago.

But you have to read it. You have to understand it, and you have to have the right perspective. Which means toss out that indoctrination you have been getting from a few sources.

Wiki is a great place to get an overview. You can go for days clicking on related links from one subject. Sit down for a while one night and start investigating religion with fresh eyes. Get an overview and think for yourself.

So many on here are pushed by the herd, and those aren't the few theists or deists on here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Feds Are Playing A Very Dangerous Game 14 min FUNG 11
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min Rosa_Winkel 753,764
The Many Secrets Of Kay Hagan...Lindsey Graham.... 29 min FUNG 7
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 37 min bmz 96,462
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 39 min bmz 37,358
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 44 min Little Voice 174
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min marge 550,997
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 262,096
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr BenAdam 602,855

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE