Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257121 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#158742 Mar 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
...Gays can't marry ANOTHER GAY OF THE SAME GENDER in most states.
But you knew what I meant....
Looks like you're correct again, Aerobatty...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriag...
Same-sex marriage appears to be banned or 'not legal' in more than 30 states. What an embarrassment for the USA. It'd be better for the USA to lead the way than have to be led.
JMHO

I'm not up on US law on the matter, but maybe Pres Obama's statement indicates that the USA will now enter the 21st century in regard to gay rights and treat them with the equality they deserve. Now we just have to wait for the USA to catch-up in regard to atheists and regard us as well too....
From:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/...
"The latest survey, from June, found that 54 percent of those asked said they would vote a "well- qualified" atheist into the Oval Office¬ó the highest percentage since Gallup began asking the question in 1958, when only 18 percent said they would back a nonbeliever."
Only 54%? Still a long way to go.

Happily for all, there are signs that the USA is getting there. More young people than ever are 'non-religious' which is an advance. Let's hope more reject superstition altogether.

From:
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/ti...
"Despite changing attitudes, though, polls continue to show that atheists are ranked lower than any other minority or religious group when Americans are asked whether they would vote for or approve of their child marrying a member of that group."

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158743 Mar 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Ya that's why you get all that spam. I could care less what google sees. I actually looked up a recipe for cake mix cookies that wifey wants to make for her class :)
My neighbor's wife is a detective Dave! We have them over for dinner and go to their condo for board games and snacks weekly! Gasp!
<quoted text>
I don't get much spam at all.

She isn't authorized to dig into your business.

Moonshiners were the biggest contributors to temperance groups.

Lots of people in jail hobnobbed with politicians and police. They made a point of doing so.

You are the one that told everyone of your involvement in those activities. All over the internet.

Authorities are sensitized to pedophiles. Even in the Phillipines. Payoffs are only good on local levels.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158744 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>So they CAN marry...

Glad to clear that up.
I hope one of your boys is gay.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158745 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
But true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender
Nope. The very first line said:

"Gender is a range of physical, mental, and behavioral characteristics distinguishing between masculinity and femininity"

Note the word "physical" included in the list. You sure miss important details for someone so arrogant.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158746 Mar 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Want me to show you some good stocks for dividends Dave? Help get you started?
<quoted text>
You think that is a good front?

You stepped on your Johnson, big boy. If you are play acting on here, I would suggest you bury that role and find a new one. One with more class. If you are for real, well, who knows? Let's say you did damage to your real self you can't undo. Welcome to the digital age. Aren't many questions that can't be answered with a few keystrokes.

Why don't you just leave?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158747 Mar 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope one of your boys is gay.
Are you on the prowl?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158748 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. The very first line said:
"Gender is a range of physical, mental, and behavioral characteristics distinguishing between masculinity and femininity"
Note the word "physical" included in the list. You sure miss important details for someone so arrogant.
Boobs, makeup, and wigs on a guy? Butch cuts, swagger, and androgynous clothes on a woman?

The guy is male. It's in his genes. The woman is female. It's in her genes. That's what will be marked when they are buried.

Understand the difference now? Gender is role playing. Very temporary. Sex is hardcoded biology and physics, and lasts longer than the role playing as far as identity goes.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158749 Mar 6, 2013
""There was considerable scientific progress in the later Middle Ages, in particular from the 13th century onward," said James Hannam, an historian and author of "The Genesis of Science: How the Christian Middle Ages Launched the Scientific Revolution" (Regnery Publishing, 2011)."

http://news.yahoo.com/grotesque-mummy-head-re...

A little enlightenment for those "readers" on here about science and Christianity in the Dark Ages.

Go ahead, learn something. This is real easy. Won't take but a few minutes and you can congratulate yourself on how knowledgeable you are.

But Ahhh!. This may cripple one ot he Topix atheist talking points.

Oh, no, no, no. Don't you guys read it. It might hurt.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158750 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Boobs, makeup, and wigs on a guy? Butch cuts, swagger, and androgynous clothes on a woman?
The guy is male. It's in his genes. The woman is female. It's in her genes. That's what will be marked when they are buried.
Understand the difference now? Gender is role playing. Very temporary. Sex is hardcoded biology and physics, and lasts longer than the role playing as far as identity goes.
So you referenced a link which you disagree with to prove you were right? Okaaaay. Lol!

Anyway, I find gender in society to be a very interesting subject, especially since, particularly in the US, people get so insecure about it. What is "male" and what is "female" aside from biology is entirely subjective and cultural, no matter how much some people would like to think it was objectively defined the way they'd like. And even biology isn't entirely bipolar, given the presence of hermaphrodites and the fact that we can manipulate our bodies in ever more sophisticated ways. Which itself get's into argument about what is "natural", and the inherent assumptions about "natural" and morality.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#158751 Mar 6, 2013
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water......The insane mindset of Christians raises it's ugly head. The issue, Mother Teresa. Her mission to glorify suffering instead of relieving it was brought to the forefront in a report done my Canadian researchers. After looking at over 300 documents and reports it has discovered poor hygiene standards, shortages of medicine, supplies, and care at Mother Teresa's 517 "Homes For The Dying" It certainly wasn't for lack of funds, her organization The Order of Missionaries of Charity, received hundreds of millions of dollars in donations. It seems as thought the Vatican used Mother Teresa's supposed care for the dying as a means to boost popularity in the declining popularity in the Church.

Could it be that Mother Teresa eventually had her conscious catch up to her as she said that she LOST her faith toward the end of her life?

And still, because of the mindless adherence to their faith, regardless of how twisted it becomes, almost 250,000 showed up in Rome for her beatification. Go figure!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158752 Mar 6, 2013
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp... \03\01\story_1-3-2013_pg9_6

Hmm, about 2000 years old.

http://countrystudies.us/egypt/14.htm

Just a squib about Christianity arriving early in Egypt. No relation to the first article. Wonder how many official records left from there?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158754 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So you referenced a link which you disagree with to prove you were right? Okaaaay. Lol!
Anyway, I find gender in society to be a very interesting subject, especially since, particularly in the US, people get so insecure about it. What is "male" and what is "female" aside from biology is entirely subjective and cultural, no matter how much some people would like to think it was objectively defined the way they'd like. And even biology isn't entirely bipolar, given the presence of hermaphrodites and the fact that we can manipulate our bodies in ever more sophisticated ways. Which itself get's into argument about what is "natural", and the inherent assumptions about "natural" and morality.
So, why the big demand for "marriage" to satisfy role playing? The would just complicate the hell out of public records. And very expensively, that the public has to pay for. Which is overwhelmingly heterosexual and under the belief marriage is to breed and raise children, the next generation. Not to accommodate role players.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158755 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/d efault.asp?page=2013\03\01\sto ry_1-3-2013_pg9_6
Hmm, about 2000 years old.
http://countrystudies.us/egypt/14.htm
Just a squib about Christianity arriving early in Egypt. No relation to the first article. Wonder how many official records left from there?
Any archaeological evidence for the systematic enslavement of the Jews in Egypt? Or the mass exodus of millions of people out of Egypt through the desert? Or of the Egyptian army being buried in the Red Sea?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158756 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, why the big demand for "marriage" to satisfy role playing?
I have no idea. There is no demand for marriage to satisfy role playing...either heterosexual or homosexual role playing.
The would just complicate the hell out of public records. And very expensively, that the public has to pay for. Which is overwhelmingly heterosexual and under the belief marriage is to breed and raise children, the next generation. Not to accommodate role players.
Oh, THAT explains why those who can't or won't have kids have their marriages forcefully annulled. Thanks for explaining that. But it would not explain why gay people who do procreate could not get married. Hmmmmm....

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#158757 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Boobs, makeup, and wigs on a guy? Butch cuts, swagger, and androgynous clothes on a woman?
The guy is male. It's in his genes. The woman is female. It's in her genes. That's what will be marked when they are buried.
Understand the difference now? Gender is role playing. Very temporary. Sex is hardcoded biology and physics, and lasts longer than the role playing as far as identity goes.
Noun: gender
1. A grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives; in some languages it is quite arbitrary but in Indo-European languages it is usually based on sex or animateness
2. The properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles

WordWeb Pro 6.6

There you go, pops, quit looking foolish when you can avoid it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#158758 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
""There was considerable scientific progress in the later Middle Ages, in particular from the 13th century onward," said James Hannam, an historian and author of "The Genesis of Science: How the Christian Middle Ages Launched the Scientific Revolution" (Regnery Publishing, 2011)."
http://news.yahoo.com/grotesque-mummy-head-re...
A little enlightenment for those "readers" on here about science and Christianity in the Dark Ages.
Go ahead, learn something. This is real easy. Won't take but a few minutes and you can congratulate yourself on how knowledgeable you are.
But Ahhh!. This may cripple one ot he Topix atheist talking points.
Oh, no, no, no. Don't you guys read it. It might hurt.
Interesting article. I am curious what the history of that mummy is. There was an active medical school in Salerno from the 10th century, but whether there were dissections of humans there I do not know.

In regard to the development of science during the middle ages: it is well known that the contact with Islamic civilization during the crusades lead to a translation movement and a subsequent intellectual explosion during the 11-13th centuries. While it was often dangerous for those conducting such investigations (many were ex-communicated), it is also known that the foundations of the later scientific revolution were laid down at this time. The church played an ambiguous role: it promoted many of the translations (which were often conducted by monks--including one that became Pope), but it also strictly limited who could read the results and the conclusions that could be drawn from them. In many ways, the problem with the church came later, when Aristotelian philosophy became dogma as opposed to one path of investigation.

It should also be pointed out that the *real* collapse of learning that came between the Roman empire and the translation movement was due to the church's influence and active destruction of manuscripts containing 'banned' ideas. There was also a later decline due to the plague.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158759 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Any archaeological evidence for the systematic enslavement of the Jews in Egypt? Or the mass exodus of millions of people out of Egypt through the desert? Or of the Egyptian army being buried in the Red Sea?
Millions?

Slavery can be in different forms. Conscription of tradesmen for public works, which at the time the Pharaoh was the public, would be considered slavery by those tradesmen. They had to leave home and probably didn't get the highest wages they could have. Israel was a province of Egypt at one time, and even then, being so close, let's say they were handy for such things. The Jews had a tradition of being skilled workers in addition to agricultural pursuits.

There are lots of things that happened and got buried and you will never find. Considerably more than what they have found.

Surviving records are scarce from most any age, including just a few hundred years ago.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158760 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So you referenced a link which you disagree with to prove you were right? Okaaaay. Lol!
Anyway, I find gender in society to be a very interesting subject, especially since, particularly in the US, people get so insecure about it. What is "male" and what is "female" aside from biology is entirely subjective and cultural, no matter how much some people would like to think it was objectively defined the way they'd like. And even biology isn't entirely bipolar, given the presence of hermaphrodites and the fact that we can manipulate our bodies in ever more sophisticated ways. Which itself get's into argument about what is "natural", and the inherent assumptions about "natural" and morality.
For the most part, the animal kingdom displays many different variances in males & females. A lot of them act manly or feminine without a social construct like we have.

There are many clear cut deference a between males & females, I don't know why you'd write it as "male" and "female".....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158761 Mar 6, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Noun: gender
1. A grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives; in some languages it is quite arbitrary but in Indo-European languages it is usually based on sex or animateness
2. The properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles
WordWeb Pro 6.6
There you go, pops, quit looking foolish when you can avoid it.
I think WordWeb Pro 6.6 might just be your Bible....

A dictionary's definition of gender is:

noun
The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

the members of one or other sex.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158762 Mar 6, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Noun: gender
1. A grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives; in some languages it is quite arbitrary but in Indo-European languages it is usually based on sex or animateness
2. The properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles
WordWeb Pro 6.6
There you go, pops, quit looking foolish when you can avoid it.
Sonny boy, note the word "roles".

Can gay male "brides" have babies?

Also note that the term "animateness" has to do with expression of motion, and not with sex.

Keep going to skool. You may learn something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Just Think 658,401
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min nanoanomaly 974,630
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min X Pendable 183,443
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 20 min Poppyann 2,976
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 22 min nanoanomaly 70,080
bored 50 min hotasianpussy 1
hello guys 1 hr hotasianpussy 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Brian_G 282,869
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 2 hr lightbeamrider 4,931
More from around the web