Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257124 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#158680 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/ health/super-bug-bacteria-spre ading/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
That death rate alone from "hospital-acquired infections" is 3 times the rate of guns.
About 1.7 million get those infections per year.
Ain't science grand?
It is if applied right.
That's why Obama-Biden, along with banning guns, is also banning hospitals.(Obamacare)

This will necessitate, of course, that they require abortions to be done in gas stations and car washes.

Biden's hair plugs will be done in tattoo parlors.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#158681 Mar 6, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The "higher moral authority looking down while you are out of sight of the cops" - obviously hasn't been too successful so far, eh?
Worked better than things have since your atheism and liberal get your freak on push started a few decades ago. By a long shot.

You had a double whammy there. No religious morals, and strict letter of the law protecting a*sholes.

Ever read much about the old West and how things were really done? Bad behavior was tracked down and punished. Just following some basic guidelines.

Location hidden

#158682 Mar 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading a book won't fix the car, but it will help to give me the knowledge required to fix it. Learning what other people have discovered means I don't have to waste my time repeating the mistakes they made. Of course, it is good to do the experiments or demonstrations, but ignoring the work that others have done is, literally, ignorance.
Now, at the edge of knowledge, it works a bit differently: you provide your observations and hypotheses and others provide their and then you discuss to see which hypothesis fits best and how to test it further. You still need to read what others have done to keep up, but always with an awareness that they can be as wrong as you are and that we are all simply attempting to understand the universe.
The fact that you refuse to look at what others have done means you will always be behind. I can assure you that your heroes Faraday and Maxwell were very aware of the experiments of Ampere, Watt, Ohm, and others.
I hope you don't go the auto parts store and ask for an infinite length fan belt.

Location hidden

#158683 Mar 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets ask you the same questions
Where did god come from?
Where did plants come from?
Where did animals come from?
This is the mistake that godbots make, they assume that the hurdles they invent for science do not apply to themselves, like they are immune form fact or something.

The infinite regression argument is invalid against existence of God, as it is stipulated as "eternal" - independent of time.

It works against items such as plants, animals, the universe, as they are not independent of time.

Location hidden

#158684 Mar 6, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have one brain cell, and it is fighting for dominance or you could be possessed by a retarded deity.
One thing is certain - we all spring from apes, you just didn't spring far enough.
We all sprang from apes?

Have you told your mother?

Location hidden

#158685 Mar 6, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, "believe" as in, the evidence suggests that I should be able to follow instructions or do you mean, "I believe that I can close my eyes and pray to the one who inspired the book to be written, the one for which there is no evidence for, and he will fix my car"?
Let me see. What if I read the car manual like christians read the bible? I might change the oil filter and wonder why my tire is still flat.
I would argue with the cop saying, "The light is not out! You just have to believe in it to see it!"
Or maybe I would damned my mechanic because he didn't fix the car the way I would have.
No, when I say that I believe something, it is because there is evidence to support it and if I believe something and someone proves me wrong, I change my beliefs to follow the evidence.
When you say believe, you mean 'blind faith'. No evidence, no research, no questioning, and no listening to other points of view.
That's not what "believe" means.

You believe many things you don't know.

Location hidden

#158686 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. And we know how effective prayer is.
No. We do not.

Location hidden

#158687 Mar 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
A good school doesn't teach you what to think.
It teaches you how.
Your school has failed you miserably.
School teaches you how to think?

What was your brain doing before you entered a school - playing cards with your kidneys?

Lamar, CO

#158688 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. And we know how effective prayer is.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. We do not.
These clowns expect direct responses to direct requests. Poofing on demand because you requested. Plus they expect it with no payment. Shows the limits of their minds.

They ignore the roundabout ways prayers can get answered. Mostly because they lack the mental wherewithal to recognize such things.

Lamar, CO

#158689 Mar 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
A good school doesn't teach you what to think.
It teaches you how.
Your school has failed you miserably.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
School teaches you how to think?
What was your brain doing before you entered a school - playing cards with your kidneys?
He was playing with his brain. It was nice and squishy, like his doo doo.

Come to think of it...

Location hidden

#158690 Mar 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
*Raises hand*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-cDAqrywsHEXX
Atheism is not a belief. It's the realization that everything we were told as children was a lie. Probably not an intentional lie but a lie nonetheless.
Concluding that "everything we were told as children was a lie" is a belief. You cannot know it for sure, since you cannot even remember everything you were told as a child.

You mis-defined "atheism", but still could not remove the belief.

Atheism is the adoption of a belief. The belief is there is no god.

It is belief in the "no god" position.

It is amazing to watch how dishonest atheists are. They will say their position is "no belief", then proceed to state their belief.

Lamar, CO

#158691 Mar 6, 2013

Location hidden

#158692 Mar 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh certainly he suffered brain damage from being knocked loopy. At his age and frail state any trauma to the head would be devastating. But he wasn't from his own account near death.
I have read about boxers having crazy dreams or hallucinations when knocked out.
<quoted text>
NDE does not fit into the parameters of hallucination.

You know nothing about the subject.

Even more certain, you know nothing about the physics and physiology occurring in Dave's experience.

You talk through your ass. Ass.
Imhotep

United States

#158693 Mar 6, 2013
Tiago wrote:
Não, rsrs. Os ateus não precisam de fé. Só precisam de ficar céticos sobre alegações sem evidência.
Deuses são imaginários!

Simplória pessoas sem senso de realidade ou razão.

Eu encontrá-los levemente divertido porém. ;)

Location hidden

#158694 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that most theists have an allergy to facts. That's my hypothesis, now I can't prove it yet, but I'm close to accumulating enough evidence to submit for peer review at this point.
But that's not a belief, of course. Right?

Just because you said "I believe..."?

Location hidden

#158695 Mar 6, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree sort of...
TopixBibleThumpers™ are indeed allergic to facts and severely challenged by reality.
JesusRoaches™ on the other hand are too delusional and obtuse to consider.
Most theists keep it to themselves like good little sheep should!
It gives them something to do on weekends.
Friday for Muslims
Saturdays for Judaism
Sundays for Xtians
I can give you something to do on weekends.

...but make sure your dentist is open on Mondays.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158696 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you don't go the auto parts store and ask for an infinite length fan belt.
HA HA HA !!!

They're in between the muffler bearings and turn signal fluid.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158697 Mar 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Deuses são imaginários!
Simplória pessoas sem senso de realidade ou razão.
Eu encontrá-los levemente divertido porém. ;)
Quit yappin & finish that lawn!

Location hidden

#158698 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists don't get on here because they are intellectuals or looking to discuss the subject in an intellectual fashion. That is why you see the same scripts and same rants over and over and over and over.
They are disaffected people who got sucked into being used by an ideology. Again, you can tell by the scripts.
Mean and bitter because they can't find peace, and damned if they will let others have it. Say you have found peace of mind in your religion and see what happens if you don't believe me. That's all one has to say and they will go ape shit.
They most all seem to have one thing in common, and that is a literal mind, just like the fundamentalists they try to paint any theist or deist as. It's knee jerk.
If they can start thinking in allegorical fashion maybe a light will come on in them.
The simple fact is that you can believe you exist, I mean it all seems pretty real, but if you can really think in the abstract, you realize it is all an illusion of some kind, even if you believe in the Big Bang and evolution. Being flash in the pans is a universal concept. One of the biggest illusions of all is the belief that science will save your ass. This illusion came about because of the rapid developments in technology and shows like Star Trek. The 1800's were a bit like that, too. People get caught up in Utopian visions.
Topix atheists need to get into touch with themselves and find out who they really are, and not what they think they want to be. Build your life from there, and the hell with those that use your issues to their advantage. Take the manufactured by stickers off their brains and souls.
Spot on.

They do not deserve enlightenment.

They only deserve ridicule. They invite it.

It would be rude, actually, to not ridicule them.

Location hidden

#158699 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/brea kingnews/ci_22729461/woman-arr ested-after-waitress-handed-he r-own-id
Small world, isn't it?
For sure not infinite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min guest 658,507
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 59 min Thinking 70,427
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 1 hr Mr loaded 92
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Internet Reality 45,596
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 2 hr Ruby88 53,931
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Internet Reality 618,843
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 2 hr Poppyann 3,015
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr AussieBobby 282,923
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr nanoanomaly 974,676
More from around the web