Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,620)

Showing posts 152,381 - 152,400 of218,183
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who proposed "the fact" of evolution being hereditary change over generations.
You assigned conjugation as evolution!
Don't blame someone else, you moron.
No, I did NOT assign conjugation as evolution, Reddick did. I simply responded. Brush up on your comprehension skills, they are important!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I get it now, you're a TROLL.....wow, I never would have guessed. But given this last post, and the FACT that no one could be this stupid, leaves the only conclusion possible, you're a friggin troll. You not only pretend to NOT know what evolution is, but you now pretend to NOT know what a component is. Add to that your inability to understand how natural selection factors into the process of evolution, and we are left with either the most scientifically uneducated human on the face of the planet, or........a run of the mill troll, pick one!!!
You aren't understanding the finer points of what evolution is.

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your belief in science is well stated.
But when I read that a scientist like Theobald says "we're on the right track" makes me wonder his reasons. It makes me think of him as completely anti-God, and his "results" will undoubtedly confirm that.
I understand the concept of evolving, organisms changing, etc. But for any human to truly grasp the "billions of years" crap is hard to fathom. I see it a lot; Their best guess in 2013 is that the universe is 13.7 billion years old, give or take a few zeros.
Get real.
Fact is fact - unchanging.
Theory is theory - always changing.
You're kind of jumping to conclusions there - he didn't say he was an atheist or anti-god. I know lots of scientists who are also Christians. They just take a longer view than other Christians and tacitly assume God's plan involved abiogenesis and evolution. I suppose, if the universe is designed by your God (ha!- why not any of the others?), then the words should really be "apparent" abiogenesis.

RR, there are facts, yes, but our ability to understand them is not perfect. Facts, as you use the term, are phenomena left over from events in the past - the microwave background radiation from the Big Bang that we use to describe and study it, fossils, ancient rocks, etc. You know we get all of our understanding of Earth's early environment from ancient rocks?(and models based on predictions made in chemistry and physics).

So how good our science is at measuring, studying - even noticing - these "facts" is the limit of our ability to know the past.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Their problem is simply RELIGION aka Organized Superstition.
Some are literally obsessed with it.
The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.
A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.
The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.
Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.
Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.
Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.
Europe entered the Dark Ages.
“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens
Good post, and Theists often ask, "What is the harm done by religion?"

"I'm against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with NOT understanding the world around you."

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what you offered as the "fact of evolution".
Now you offer a new "fact of evolution".
See how it works? You offer your "fact"; it gets shot down, so you think of another one.
Natural selection cannot be both a "component" of evolution and at the same time be "evolution".
If natural selection is evolution, they are the same thing.
They are not.
Natural selection only means some of a population fail to survive, and others with a particular trait survive.
That involves NO EVOLUTION. It involves a population, a hostile environment, death, and then a population in which more members have the aforementioned trait.
No "evolution" happened there, unless you define evolution so loosely that it looses any identity.
And that is exactly what you want to do.
If only some individuals in a population survive and they do so because of a trait they have, and that trait is passed onto their offspring, that is evolution, Buck.

I really can't see how you're denying that natural selection is an evolutionary process. It is the mechanism by which adaptation evolves.

Genetic drift doesn't produce adaptation. Gene flow rarely does. It's natural selection, baby, all the way.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
One cannot prove or disprove the existence of God using the scientific method.
youd be correct IF you KNEW what god is

do you?

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Not to mention smallpox, cholera, and bubonic plague.
But on another note...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/...
Thanks, Aura - yeah, big news! One of my supervisors studies HIV/AIDS and will be excited to read this.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you keep your mouth and brain totally separated?
Is that a sexual thing?
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
I challenge any Topix atheist to prove ANY true chaos in this existence. Not apparent, which would just be a result of not knowing everything involved, but true unadulterated chaos.
YOUR mind!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Good post, and Theists often ask, "What is the harm done by religion?"
"I'm against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with NOT understanding the world around you."
What is to understand?

You make a living, you make babies, and you try to enjoy the limited time here.

Bubba, you ain't taking a damned thing you "learned" here with you. Right?

You live your life, let others live theirs.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a propensity to oversimplify things you wish were simple.
Tell me, since you are a temporary being, personality, experiencer of things, and future dust pile lost to history, just what does it add to your life experience "knowing" you are just a piece of stellar shit with no future, no past, no nothing but the right now? Anything you have done is already lost, they are just memories of yours that will expire when you do. Illusions.
Can you convey to us how that is better than our own illusions?
very simply..I don't lie to myself simply because it might make me feel all warm and fuzzy!!

And all of what you just said scares the shit out of you doesn't it? Your terror of ceasing to exist is written all over this post. You're not talking about me, you're reflecting on your own mortality. How very sad that you should spend your life, the only one you're going to have, draped in fear. I can understand that the only way you can get out of bed in the morning and face life is with the belief that you will never truly die, without that safety net, life would be unbearable for you. How incredibly sad.

The life philosophy I have is so much more courageous than yours. I know that this is all there is. We all have a turn, and then make way for those to follow. We have a responsibility to try and leave the the world a better place than when we entered. Try to leave something behind to enrich the lives of those to follow. It doesn't have to be much, anything. Build something, advance a discipline, contribute to the advancement of science or art. Knowing that this is all you get makes life so much more precious, you have a tendency to enjoy every moment. That fact that I am made up of the same stuff as the stars overwhelms me. I look at the night sky in absolute awe, knowing that I am part of that spender. When my time is up, I will graciously make way for those behind me, as they will eventually make way for this behind them, and so life continues, glorious and fulfilling. Filled with goals and challenges, with pure joy for those how understand what life is meant to be.

You just go right ahead and stick to your delusions, continue to live in fear, continue to be terrified of the dark and the unknown, your choice!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What is to understand?
You make a living, you make babies, and you try to enjoy the limited time here.
Bubba, you ain't taking a damned thing you "learned" here with you. Right?
You live your life, let others live theirs.
Goddidit.....look no further. As soon as you say Goddidit, any journey of discovery is over. As soon as you say "I don't know" then and only then does the journey begin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>very simply..I don't lie to myself simply because it might make me feel all warm and fuzzy!!
And all of what you just said scares the shit out of you doesn't it? Your terror of ceasing to exist is written all over this post. You're not talking about me, you're reflecting on your own mortality. How very sad that you should spend your life, the only one you're going to have, draped in fear. I can understand that the only way you can get out of bed in the morning and face life is with the belief that you will never truly die, without that safety net, life would be unbearable for you. How incredibly sad.
The life philosophy I have is so much more courageous than yours. I know that this is all there is. We all have a turn, and then make way for those to follow. We have a responsibility to try and leave the the world a better place than when we entered. Try to leave something behind to enrich the lives of those to follow. It doesn't have to be much, anything. Build something, advance a discipline, contribute to the advancement of science or art. Knowing that this is all you get makes life so much more precious, you have a tendency to enjoy every moment. That fact that I am made up of the same stuff as the stars overwhelms me. I look at the night sky in absolute awe, knowing that I am part of that spender. When my time is up, I will graciously make way for those behind me, as they will eventually make way for this behind them, and so life continues, glorious and fulfilling. Filled with goals and challenges, with pure joy for those how understand what life is meant to be.
You just go right ahead and stick to your delusions, continue to live in fear, continue to be terrified of the dark and the unknown, your choice!
You are full of shit.

Just another delusional Utopian.

I'm terrified of death, eh?

It's not a fun event. Nothing you would want to do for recreation. But I checked out before in a conscious state. You haven't. You are whistling past the graveyard.

If you are lucky your end will be very quick and final. A done deal. If you get sick and linger, I will guarantee you will go through some agony as that end approaches. Your whistling will stop. You will realize the illusory life you led. Reality really starts to set in. Good luck to you.

The difference between you and me and experience with that subject is I went through that emotional agony. You talk big. Let's say we see it coming and it is unavoidable, we can join hands and walk into death. I would just step from here to there, but likely to pause because I will have to pull you those last steps. Or I may just let you go.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Goddidit.....look no further. As soon as you say Goddidit, any journey of discovery is over. As soon as you say "I don't know" then and only then does the journey begin.
Your journey of discovery consists of reading books. Mine was breaking parts of my body in doing it. In addition to reading books.

Do you really think your blathering impresses me?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that a sexual thing?
Only when the bartender starts yelling "Last call!"
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your journey of discovery consists of reading books. Mine was breaking parts of my body in doing it. In addition to reading books.
You....are the last person on the face of the earth that I would care to impress.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Lmfao!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!

That's that's that's just.....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!!!

Having a senile moment Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are full of shit.
Just another delusional Utopian.
I'm terrified of death, eh?
It's not a fun event. Nothing you would want to do for recreation. But I checked out before in a conscious state. You haven't. You are whistling past the graveyard.
If you are lucky your end will be very quick and final. A done deal. If you get sick and linger, I will guarantee you will go through some agony as that end approaches. Your whistling will stop. You will realize the illusory life you led. Reality really starts to set in. Good luck to you.
The difference between you and me and experience with that subject is I went through that emotional agony. You talk big. Let's say we see it coming and it is unavoidable, we can join hands and walk into death. I would just step from here to there, but likely to pause because I will have to pull you those last steps. Or I may just let you go.
Should I become sick and know that I will linger in agony, I have the means for a quick and painless death should it come to that. I have no moral restraints as you do. Killing yourself is a sin right? I am not restricted by any such foolishness.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You....are the last person on the face of the earth that I would care to impress.
Good for you. Would disturb your comfort level if it was important to you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!
That's that's that's just.....
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!!!
Having a senile moment Dave?
<quoted text>
That man has some age, experience, and intelligence, and his blathering doesn't impress me.

Can you even grasp how less significant you are to me, or to anyone else?

I figure not. There is nothing in you but the noise you can make.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 152,381 - 152,400 of218,183
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

519 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Dang It 110,398
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Rosa_Winkel 683,052
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 14 min Ruby88 52,638
Windows Live XP Super SP3 2013 Free Download Fu... (Aug '13) 16 min Raghad Adel 24
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min Sister Kathryn Lust 168,975
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min RoSesz 513,528
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 51 min -Web 250,745
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 54 min BenAdam 596,818
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr EdmondWA 89,782
•••
•••
•••