Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,619)

Showing posts 152,361 - 152,380 of216,197
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what you offered as the "fact of evolution".
Now you offer a new "fact of evolution".
See how it works? You offer your "fact"; it gets shot down, so you think of another one.
Natural selection cannot be both a "component" of evolution and at the same time be "evolution".
If natural selection is evolution, they are the same thing.
They are not.
Natural selection only means some of a population fail to survive, and others with a particular trait survive.
That involves NO EVOLUTION. It involves a population, a hostile environment, death, and then a population in which more members have the aforementioned trait.
No "evolution" happened there, unless you define evolution so loosely that it looses any identity.
And that is exactly what you want to do.
Evolution is the change of a population due to genetic mutations and selected by natural selection. Learn you relationships in science or just give up, we know you're good at giving up.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They define atheism as "no belief".
So we all start as atheists, then some go astray.
Nice setup, huh? You can win any argument if you get to decide the meaning of terms, right?
My dog, Mongo, has no beliefs.
He eats his own shit.
I'm convinced, given this evidence, that he is an atheist.
Your dog...believes in you. If you taught him not to eat his shit you did something. Knowledge is power.

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I dont have a problem with crosses, they are good defense against vampires and such ...heheheh
No really wtf is the problem?
I don't know, man. A few aheists got all butt hurt by it and "demanded" for it to be removed. Then they enlisted the FFRC...

I really don't see the probelm, it DOES keep the vampires out of Riverside.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh?
"Life started from nothing out of the mind of a god."
...then...
"Still the same nothing out of nothing."
O_o
God isn't nothing...
Then please show me this god.
Jimmy

Northwich, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
See how it works? You offer your "fact"; it gets shot down, so you think of another one.
Natural selection cannot be both a "component" of evolution and at the same time be "evolution".
They are not.
Natural selection only means some of a population fail to survive, and others with a particular trait survive.
That involves NO EVOLUTION. It involves a population, a hostile environment, death, and then a population in which more members have the aforementioned trait.
No "evolution" happened there, unless you define evolution so loosely that it looses any identity.
Why are religious people so obviously stupid?
CunningLinguist

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever designed a disease-causing microbe?
Do you know someone who has?
If so, did it require intelligence?
You are a moron. Thus, I predict you will not design anything.
Unfortunately there is no vaccine for stupidity and in your case the wheel is still spinning but the hamster died long ago.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because their religion elevates stupid, making it seem like a good thing, so they latch onto the religion because they know they are stupid and couldn't find acceptance in anything else because of that.
CunningLinguist

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Their problem is simply RELIGION aka Organized Superstition.
Some are literally obsessed with it.

The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.

A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.

Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.

Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

Europe entered the Dark Ages.

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Please give me your objective evidence of how life began?
Again, the point you seem to be missing is that just because science is not omniscient doesn't mean it's wrong about what it does know. And religion doesn't "know" anything, it's all made-up mythology. I'll take science any day over superstition. If you want the latter, you are welcome to it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can say there is a following among theologians that believe, the Great Wh*re to be a power influential Church with a troubled history as described in Revelation 17.
You don’t have to believe it. I’m just sharing with you the thought of what many to believe is the Great Wh*re in Revelation 17.
Well, again, that just highlights the dangers of clinging to an ideology that is not founded in objective evidence. How can you prove or disprove what that passage in Revelation says? It ultimately comes down not to facts, but what everyone agrees is the most pleasing to them.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all religious people r stupid and not all atheists are intelligent!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all religious people r stupid and not all atheists are intelligent!
True.

But Fundamentalism of any kind does sorta tend in that direction.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really know how to define evolution, do you?
i have, dozens of times, you're apparently just to stupid to understand. Pitiful, really pitiful.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>True.
But Fundamentalism of any kind does sorta tend in that direction.
Yh, but we got too many crazy nuts in all directions!

Religious people who don't truly understand their religion are the nutters, but the thing is that MOST religious people don't understand, so that's why we got too many nuts in religion. But i still think they will always be nuts even if they give up PRETENDING to be religious. I think some people r just born with it!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, got it.
Now who is the mason that puts all the "blocks" together?
Amino acids made of atoms; carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen, some even have sulfur.
They are combinedby way of peptide bonds to form proteins.
But what good are amino acids without the help of nucleic acids?
In turn, what good are nucleic acids without amino acids?
Both are needed to have life as we know it.
Both are more complex than you can hope to understand.
And you think they are just random occurances?
Silly boy.
Make me a sammich.
No, they're obviously more complex than YOU can understand. "It's too complex and I can't understand it so it must have been made by my invisible god thingy." he whines!!!! Science is just a little bit ahead of you here, they actually understand things that you remain credulous over.

Nothing "random" about it. They combine in a very complex and exacting fashion. Either that or a magical being scooped up some dirt and blew on it and out popped a fully formed male.....hummmm tough choice here, but since I refuse to believe in magic, I'll take complex chemicals mixing in just the right environment, especially since many of those elements are what make up all stars. A star exploded, and strews its essence into the universe, over and over again, and you think life began with a scoop of dirt....REALLY NOW!!!!! HUMMMM
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude.....
"at least smart enough no to question me" ?!?
O_o
"goods for you" ?!?!???
'_'
And YOU are calling ME stupid?
Kettle, meet pot. You are both black.
"smart enough NO to question you.....really!!!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Indeed.

Btw just finished watching the Hitchcock movie, The Rope. It was filmed with only 10 cuts when they were forced to because of camera limitations. The camera seems to become you as an unseen actor. It happens in real time after a murder. If anyone hasn't seen it certainly give it a watch.

It's genius in it's subtle simplicity yet the suspense builds each moment. Hitchcock was truly ahead of his time.
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarcasm with style!
Using the old saying, "What you don't know can't hurt you," he's practically invulnerable.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not.
Oh I get it now, you're a TROLL.....wow, I never would have guessed. But given this last post, and the FACT that no one could be this stupid, leaves the only conclusion possible, you're a friggin troll. You not only pretend to NOT know what evolution is, but you now pretend to NOT know what a component is. Add to that your inability to understand how natural selection factors into the process of evolution, and we are left with either the most scientifically uneducated human on the face of the planet, or........a run of the mill troll, pick one!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That was not a rebuttal.
That was just more shit talking.
Care to try again?
Maybe answer a question or two?
In all fairness, I've answered tons of your questions...
No, this a plea for you to educate yourself on the facts of evolution so we can at least have something on the verge of an intelligent conversation. Right now it alike having a dialog with a hard boiled egg!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, they're obviously more complex than YOU can understand. "It's too complex and I can't understand it so it must have been made by my invisible god thingy." he whines!!!! Science is just a little bit ahead of you here, they actually understand things that you remain credulous over.
Nothing "random" about it. They combine in a very complex and exacting fashion. Either that or a magical being scooped up some dirt and blew on it and out popped a fully formed male.....hummmm tough choice here, but since I refuse to believe in magic, I'll take complex chemicals mixing in just the right environment, especially since many of those elements are what make up all stars. A star exploded, and strews its essence into the universe, over and over again, and you think life began with a scoop of dirt....REALLY NOW!!!!! HUMMMM
You have a propensity to oversimplify things you wish were simple.

Tell me, since you are a temporary being, personality, experiencer of things, and future dust pile lost to history, just what does it add to your life experience "knowing" you are just a piece of stellar shit with no future, no past, no nothing but the right now? Anything you have done is already lost, they are just memories of yours that will expire when you do. Illusions.

Can you convey to us how that is better than our own illusions?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 152,361 - 152,380 of216,197
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

646 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 min Naveen kumar 363
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min confrinting with the word 511,555
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Aerobatty 679,139
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min Porkpie Hat 250,248
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 30 min PetesaKe 109,339
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 32 min Dale_Harris 52,442
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 57 min USA-1 37,808
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 58 min devbrain 214
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Epiphany2 596,440
teen snapchat nudes 10 hr Oscar 102
•••
•••
•••