Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
152,181 - 152,200 of 224,019 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Imhotep

Hawthorne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Always couple these statements with the fact that, while atheists make up 8-10% of the population at large"
Wake up call!
"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
Continued:
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
July, 2012
“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”
A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.
Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...
Try harder...

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...

Christians always look for excuses...

(This list is sociological/statistical in perspective.)

Christianity: 2.1 billion (Catholic)
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So you advocate withholding factual information from children? The process of evolution is simply a fact, that debate has been over for sometime now. Why do you think withholding information from the young mind is a good idea?
I thought you were smarter than to think that evolution had anything to do with how life came to be, I guess not!!! You're scaring me now....you do know that evolution says NOTHING about how life came to be right???
The issue was teaching random abiogenesis as the sole reason for our existence. No deities or intelligent designers. All based upon conjecture.

I didn't think you would be smart enough to realize how that establishes an official declaration of atheism as the state religion.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama guard dog agency.
Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
I see about everything they do is in his defense.
I see them as another one of his weapons, but that's just my POV.
I also see some of the stuff they do is good, but there's a string of things they are doing like he has them on his team, which is understandable and how big politics work.
As resident Nanci Larsen put it, "I'm not here supporting a religious symbol, but an integral part of my community's cultural and historic fabric." - See more at: http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside-county...
Americans United for Separation of Church and State are a bunch of America-hating bastards.

I wouldn't piss on Barry Lynn's head if it was on fire.

What is so despicable is their hypocrisy - they pretend they believe in something.

They want this country to be China.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
I don't like slippery slopes. First, the cross on the hill. Next,...
The Constitution matters.
And yes, California IS a republic by the way.
The Constitution?

It prohibits that cross in no part.

If I'm missing a clause that prohibits crosses on public land, please point it out to me.

I think it is not there. I know I have never seen it.

Will you also knock down the crosses at Arlington?

Seems that is your duty, if you love the Constitution, and there is something in the Constitution that prohibits crosses on public land.

I think you are fudging. I think you will have to find such a prohibition somewhere OTHER than the Constitution.

Prove me wrong.
http://www.google.com/imgres...
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

And that's Walmart's job.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They want this country to be China.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue was teaching random abiogenesis as the sole reason for our existence. No deities or intelligent designers. All based upon conjecture.
I didn't think you would be smart enough to realize how that establishes an official declaration of atheism as the state religion.
Once again numbnuts.......the teaching of evolution says NOTHING about how life started. Why don't you know this????????/

Even IF that were the case on one hand we have abiogenesis a concept rooted in the physical world. On the other, ID, we have a concept rooted in the supernatural, a realm that can only be imagined. Now if you want to teach ID as a myth, like any of the other myths, include it in the class were mythical greeks Gods are discussed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the principle, the importance of ensuring compliance with the Constitution, as necessary.
What part of the Constitution was violated?

Explain.

Arlington National Cemeteryhttps://www.google.com /search?q=picture+of+crosses+a t+arlington+cemetery&hl=en &tbm=isch&tbo=u&so urce=univ&sa=X&ei=Z6o0 Uc-_Mqjq2AWlk4CICg&ved=0CD AQsAQ&biw=1008&bih=595 #imgrc=1BpU_aJ-2Lj7IM%3A%3BU2q _5raouX_iWM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%2 52Fwww.arlingtoncemetery.net%2 52Fcanadian-cross01.jpg%3Bhttp %253A%252F%252Fwww.arlingtonce metery.net%252Fcanadian-cross. htm%3B500%3B326

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
I know...what's wrong with me?
Wait...why do you spend a lot of time bickering with atheists?
They started it!
Uhm...you missed my point about them actually carrying out the Buddhist and Shinto rituals. So, no, they don't.
We have a very different understanding of responsibility than you do - ours is shared, not individual. That generally leads to less outright acts of intolerance and greater social punishment for difference (with a few people, like in America, snapping).

Wow. You see, that's an American thing. You guys are very individualistic, with individual rights held in the highest of esteem. That lets people think "hey, that cross breaks the rules by being on government property. I want it down! My want is more important than anyone else's want!"
That just couldn't happen here. We also have a different notion of history - that historical monuments are either extremely important and must be maintained or worthless, to be destroyed in the face of modernity. I suspect the cross would stay and people would ignore, ridicule or placate the loan complainer, depending on how charismatic they were.
Interesting.

Plus, you guys have anime & chopsticks.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Over the last 40-50 years a la la land has been created by nut case activists leveraging the political scene. The pandering for votes let them in. They are the driven ones who organize and scream and present a false picture of common thought or sense.

Their nut caseism has generated reactions, reactions that are larger than their actual numbers and power are.

They have been chipping away at the foundations that allowed them to come to power. We are entering a period where those foundations will crumble and they will get buried. It is unlikely to be real pretty.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What's being married like?
It's like a life long orgy with one person.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Once again numbnuts.......the teaching of evolution says NOTHING about how life started. Why don't you know this????????/
Even IF that were the case on one hand we have abiogenesis a concept rooted in the physical world. On the other, ID, we have a concept rooted in the supernatural, a realm that can only be imagined. Now if you want to teach ID as a myth, like any of the other myths, include it in the class were mythical greeks Gods are discussed.
First, even Hiding admitted abiogenesis is "necessary" for current evolutionary theory.

Second, ID is not rooted in anything supernatural.

In other words, something undiscovered and unknown to exist is necessary for evolution, but not for ID.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Annoying :)
First, the music starts as early as November, sometimes right at the beginning. It mostly signals a change in fashion seasons.
Then it gets better. The day itself is for couples. The boy takes the girl out to a really expensive restaurant, and then hotel where she returns the favor.
Ah, Christmas!
Similar here. We get the Christmas "season" now starting just after Halloween. The entire month of December is the same old Christmas music in every retail store. No one likes it, but they play it anyway.

Oh, then there's the lights, the lights, the lights, and then some more lights. The trees, presents, mistletoe, garland, wreaths, pumpkin pies, blah, blah, blah, blah.....

BAH!

Humbug!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you want children to learn? You want them to be not be told what the consensus of scientists is and what the state of the discipline is?
Evolution is the framework theory for all biological sciences. It the only scientific theory that unifies all disparate biological phenomena under one explanatory umbrella.
So...what should we tell them? Should we just lie to them and talk about magic?
Should we have Muslim biology after Creationist Biology? Alchemy after Chemistry? Astrology after Astronomy?
Should we teach them "yeah, scientists have these ideas about how planets orbit the sun, but there are competing theories about solar evolution that include God doing it 6000 years ago. Sure, it's a 17th century idea that is officially removed from Catholic doctrine, but we're going to teach it to you anyways. Equal time for all ideas! And now, class, on to the validity of Mayan human sacrifice instead of Easter."
How about they teach they *think* it happened this way.....?

I remember reading my science books in school & I've recently read my sons high school science books, they don't propose any other explanation other that "this is the way it happened". NOT "This is the way it could've happened".

It indocrinates the kids into what you believe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So you advocate withholding factual information from children? The process of evolution is simply a fact, that debate has been over for sometime now. Why do you think withholding information from the young mind is a good idea?
I thought you were smarter than to think that evolution had anything to do with how life came to be, I guess not!!! You're scaring me now....you do know that evolution says NOTHING about how life came to be right???
What fact are you talking about?

What is the "fact" of evolution?

It would help if, when claiming something is a fact, you could say what the fact is.

There are at least 9 definitions of evolution is scientific literature.

When you say it's a "fact", you have said nothing.

Some of the terms called "evolution" might be fact, but some clearly are not fact.

You are a moron. That's a fact.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
You love to put words in peoples mouths
I wanna do more than that.....

C'mon, big boy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
Riverside isn't selling the property with the cross on it to shut up anybody.
The sale is required so that the City doesn't run afoul of the U.S. Constitution.
Heard of it? First Amendment and all that?
Even Buck knows about that.
The FFRC hasn't been able to prove that the cross is representing a national religion - which would violate the 1st Amendment. In order to save worthless court costs due to a few bickering atheists, they decided to shut them up by selling the property to a private citizen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean it is a requirement in the People Republic of California?
It seems more a non-issue and a complete waste of time to argue about such trivial things.
It is a waste of time. And it's very selfish of the atheists to want a city landmark removed because it hurt their delicate feelings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

383 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Ar aR 720,209
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 min Rama Naicker 4,478
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 17 min derk 159
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min marge 532,440
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 30 min Catcher1 172,267
skype sex id luv to try it (Aug '13) 36 min bryan 50
Xcntrik InVidor is A Fool! (Jul '09) 41 min The Mask 62
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Insults Are Easier 256,381
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 8 hr John 53
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••