Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#157486 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You know what's funny fatboy? I mean other than watching you avoid green leafy vegetables and breaking chairs at the buffet?
When something actually exists we can show observable evidence for it and not rely on 2 penny philosophical word games to demonstrate it.
What time does the buffet open today fatass? I am sure they have bought some reinforced chairs for your big date with your future groom Dave.
<quoted text>
Wrong again, GiveMeLiverwurst.

Many things have existed for long periods of time while nobody could show observable evidence of it. Ever heard of the DNA double-helix? Did it begin to exist at the same time as the microscope?

FYI, I am not fat. I weigh 325 and have a lower body fat percentage than you, most likely. And I doubt YOU can bench 500 lb., either.

Location hidden

#157487 Mar 1, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is inquiry. Religion is presupposition. Reasoning people do not accept religious dogma without evidence. We may never know all the answers, but science has solved a great deal of the most important questions. Religion has an answer for everything, but solutions to nothing.
CHRISTIANITY 101
The most evil, vile, heartless, and inhumane massacres, genocides, and subjugation have been performed and instigated by none other then Christians and their imperialistic and racially motivated conquests.
It was Christians who nearly wiped out the entire Native American race by exterminating over 50 Million of them. It was Christians who have murdered 60-90 Million Africans, and tortured the rest for over 400 years, it was Christians who puppeted the Spanish Inquisition, Hitler and his entire staff were Christians themselves.
You people are the definition of the word hypocrite. You run up in other people’s countries, and brainwash the innocent into believing that their way of life is inferior to yours, and that if one does not accept "Jesus Christ" as their savior they will burn in Hell eternally. But I ask you who’s to say that Christians follow Jesus?
The bottom line is, the most evil actions ever performed on the face of the earth, are attributed to none other then European/American Christians, and their conquests in the name of greed and capitalism.
Christianity was always meant to be a bloody religion, as it was fashioned by Constantine who saw a cross in his dream and with it he read "In this sign we shall conquer".
All this and the simple fact is that Jesus himself did not even sanctify Christianity.
Nowhere in the bible did the word Christianity comes out of his mouth, as he instructed his disciples to keep the original commandments given by the most high.
Jesus never said "worship me", nor did he claim to be God. Jesus DID in fact state however that "Many in the future shall come in his name, but believe them not, for they are liars". Jesus was born a Hebrew, lived as a Hebrew, taught as a Hebrew, and died a Hebrew.
If Christians alone have the truth, then why is it that it was only they who believed that the Earth was flat, when the rest of the civilized world in fact knew it was spherical in shape, thousands of years before Jesus was even on the scene?
If Christians alone know the truth, then why is it that they thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, when the rest of the world knew that that was false?
Why is it that Christians had absolutely NO knowledge of astronomy, the stars, or outer space, when the rest of the world had advances astronomical knowledge complete with solar and lunar calendars?
Christians have not only been the most violent people on the earth, but they have also been the stupidest. And History will backs up that fact.
So please, spare us the BS, and the half-ass biblical recitals.
And they are not good dancers. You forgot that.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#157488 Mar 1, 2013
In the times of Jesus you paid homage to the gods of the Romans, of the god of the Jews, or the gods of someone.

Via the priests.

Failure to do so could bring castrophe upon your ass here, or in the hereafter.

Pay up.

Fear was induced.

Then along comes this figure known as Jesus. A real rebel. Bucking the religious establisment, and knowing he was going to get killed doing such. The boy knew how things worked.

His message was simple. Follow the laws of the land. That maintains society while you are here.

Another was you have a direct link with the creator of the universe. You don't have to support the priests and think the way they tell you to. Catastrophe befell his ass because of that last one. A catastrophe he foresaw.

To conquer death you only have to die. Believe what he says about a life hereafter, and you will have one. He was dying to either carve out a new section of existence, or the creator was reserving space for him and those who believed in him. Jesus was the ultimate spirit guide.

So he died.

This story is of a fellow human being with an unusual insight into existence and the faith in the creative force of existence to free men from fear in this existence. An escape from the tyranny of man over man.

This guy should really appeal to Topix atheists.

This appealed to lots of people of the time. It was defintiely something of a higher order than just slaving away your time to the material benefit of other men. This even appealed to men way up on the ladder, with something to lose if such anarchy got out of hand. But from this the ubiversal brotherhood of man arose. Brotherhood beyond your tribe or nation.

Unfortunately, a religion, with priests and livings to be had, arose from this over time, when the event was just something written down.

Jesus is a rather noble character. But what do Topix atheists do?

They don't show much class.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157489 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey Buck, RR, Geriatric Dave! Check out your hero!
http://www.creationtoday.org/journey-to-peru-...
Never heard of him....

Location hidden

#157490 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey Buck, RR, Geriatric Dave! Check out your hero!
http://www.creationtoday.org/journey-to-peru-...
Posing with those Ica stones as proof for your Genesis story!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ica_stones
In 1973 during an interview with Erich von Däniken, Uschuya stated he had faked the stones.[2] In 1975 Uschuya and another farmer named Irma Gutierrez de Aparcana confirmed that they had forged the stones they gave to Cabrera by copying the images from comic books, text books and magazines. Later Uschuya recanted the forging story during an interview with a German journalist, saying that he had claimed they were a hoax to avoid imprisonment for selling archaeological artifacts. In 1977, during the BBC documentary Pathway to the Gods, Uschuya produced an Ica stone with a dentist's drill and claimed to have produced the patina by baking the stone in cow dung. That same year, another BBC documentary was released with a skeptical analysis of Cabrera's stones, and the newfound attention to the phenomenon prompted Peruvian authorities to arrest Uschuya, as Peruvian law prohibits the sale of archaeological discoveries. Uschuya recanted his claim that he had found them and instead admitted they were hoaxes, saying "Making these stones is easier than farming the land." He engraved the stones using images in books and magazines as examples and knives, chisels and a dental drill. He also said that he had not made all the stones. He was not punished, and continued to sell similar stones to tourists as trinkets. The stones continued to be made and carved by other artists as forgeries of the original forgeries.
Way to go Eric! Your Daddy in prison and your absolute truth is a forgery made lieterally with bullsht! Hug that bullsht Eric! Cheese it up for the cameras!:))
My hero??

You have no clue.

I have no heroes - well, Ted Nugent and G. Gordon Liddy come close. Have to throw in Anthony Munoz. I was starting beside him in pre-season till I got high and got arrested in Miami with two shotguns and dynamite in my truck.

Don't ask.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157491 Mar 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My hero??
You have no clue.
I have no heroes - well, Ted Nugent and G. Gordon Liddy come close. Have to throw in Anthony Munoz. I was starting beside him in pre-season till I got high and got arrested in Miami with two shotguns and dynamite in my truck.
Don't ask.
My hero is Captain Picard.

No, Kirk...

No... Picard...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157492 Mar 1, 2013
Givemegaymen wrote:
Cheese it up for the cameras!
Is that what Papa told you to do?
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#157493 Mar 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My hero??
You have no clue.
Don't ask.
Just before the hockey season started, I was going to play on defense, my partners was going to be Bobby Orr, but got caught with a small nuclear bomb in my $200,000 Ferrari, bright yellow, and a couple of advanced laser weapons the government had been secretly working on. Yeah, I was also part of a secrete government organization that developed space age weaponry. I spent a couple of months is a secret government prison, but escaped after I kicked to asses of twelve highly trained guard, put 9 in the hospital. They eventually gave up looking for me as I was also a master of disguise. Missed getting to play with Bobby though. Oh well!!!!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#157494 Mar 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Many preachers etc are ok, it’s the sheep that have the problem
Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#157495 Mar 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And they are not good dancers. You forgot that.
Of course they are... you have forgotten the 'holy rollers'!
Err.. good at rolling, but they call it dancing or 'filled with the spirit'.

Not to mention the 'talking in tongues' groups or those snake handlers, and those 'overwhelmed' by the Jesus huckster as seen in countless faith healer TV programs.

"All religions bear traces of the fact that they arose during the intellectual immaturity of the human race – before it had learned the obligations to speak the truth. Not one of them makes it the duty of its God to be truthful and understandable in his communications." ~Freidrich Nietzsche

Since: Mar 11

United States

#157496 Mar 1, 2013
Nobody met him going by secular historical data we have no proof he ever existed. As far as what the bible says he did and didn't do? Depends on what version you get as it has been edited and radically changed with new adventures of Jesus being added even in the year 1100.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did not think he was God - not in any special sense.
He twice escaped stoning by declaring that he was NOT God.
He said we are all sons of God. He said those he left behind could do anything he did, even greater things.
It was Paul and the Roman church who put the claim of being God in Jesus' mouth.
Paul nor anyone in the Roman church ever met Jesus.

Westcliffe, CO

#157497 Mar 1, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they are... you have forgotten the 'holy rollers'!
Err.. good at rolling, but they call it dancing or 'filled with the spirit'.
Not to mention the 'talking in tongues' groups or those snake handlers, and those 'overwhelmed' by the Jesus huckster as seen in countless faith healer TV programs.
"All religions bear traces of the fact that they arose during the intellectual immaturity of the human race – before it had learned the obligations to speak the truth. Not one of them makes it the duty of its God to be truthful and understandable in his communications." ~Freidrich Nietzsche
You are born speaking the truth. You have to learn how to lie.

United States

#157498 Mar 1, 2013
Quiet fatboy the Cartman I'm just big boned excuse won't fly here :)

Your DNA example doesn't work because, first it's a natural occurrence and was mentioned only after being observed and properly documented unlike the god created during campfire tales of desert nomads who sacrificed goats while chanting about their deity.

If you weren't so fat, ugly and stupid you could tell the difference between the two.

Again the concept of DNA was presented after observable and testable data was produced. The concept of god was presented during animal sacrifices by desert nomads who thought the earth was flat and created during the Bronze Age.

Green leafy vegetables Buck, go buy and eat some.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, GiveMeLiverwurst.
Many things have existed for long periods of time while nobody could show observable evidence of it. Ever heard of the DNA double-helix? Did it begin to exist at the same time as the microscope?
FYI, I am not fat. I weigh 325 and have a lower body fat percentage than you, most likely. And I doubt YOU can bench 500 lb., either.

Westcliffe, CO

#157499 Mar 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Just before the hockey season started, I was going to play on defense, my partners was going to be Bobby Orr, but got caught with a small nuclear bomb in my $200,000 Ferrari, bright yellow, and a couple of advanced laser weapons the government had been secretly working on. Yeah, I was also part of a secrete government organization that developed space age weaponry. I spent a couple of months is a secret government prison, but escaped after I kicked to asses of twelve highly trained guard, put 9 in the hospital. They eventually gave up looking for me as I was also a master of disguise. Missed getting to play with Bobby though. Oh well!!!!
Shit, poor Buck.

He shoulda been born a famous trumpet player like you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157500 Mar 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
I spent a couple of months is a secret government prison, but escaped after I kicked to asses of twelve highly trained guard, put 9 in the hospital. They eventually gave up looking for me as I was also a master of disguise.
LMMFGDAO!

Ya, and my last name is Lamborghini, I fly them to the moon and scare off the alien invasion force.

Westcliffe, CO

#157501 Mar 1, 2013
Wish I could find that safe place I put things again.

Damned virtual safe places. They keep disappearing on me.

United States

#157502 Mar 1, 2013
Well he isn't the owner of your local buffet but you and RR have both posted links and arguments from his sites.

Isn't that awesome how he gets his picture taken smiling and hugging those Peru forged dinosaur stones? He says they couldn't be forged because there are 11,000 of them! And of course forging an insanely huge number like 11,000 would just be impossible! 1000 sure, 5000 would be difficult, 10,000 is the Hovind max number that something can be forged! Even though they have workers making batches of them when you visit the museum with the forged stones.

Lmfao!
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My hero??
You have no clue.
Don't ask.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157503 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well he isn't the owner of your local buffet but you and RR have both posted links and arguments from his sites.
Isn't that awesome how he gets his picture taken smiling and hugging those Peru forged dinosaur stones? He says they couldn't be forged because there are 11,000 of them! And of course forging an insanely huge number like 11,000 would just be impossible! 1000 sure, 5000 would be difficult, 10,000 is the Hovind max number that something can be forged! Even though they have workers making batches of them when you visit the museum with the forged stones.
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
I've never heard of the ica stones until today. But I've been reading up on them. The ones you can see being made at their museum are replicas for sale, like a replica Declaration of Independence, or a Mona Lisa. They aren't being advertised as the real deal.

They real ones have a natural varnish on them, caused by bacteria that takes a few thousand years to settle & turn into varnish, all of the "real" ones have that same varnish on the rocks and on the scrapings.

Until you've done exhaustive scientific research on them, it's only your atheist indoctrinated closed-mindedness that makes you scream "GODDIDIT!"

Westcliffe, CO

#157504 Mar 1, 2013
Got it!!!

That virtual safe place appeared again and I whacked it with a hammer. It ain't going no place anymore. One dead virtual safe place.

Real physics trumps math.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#157505 Mar 1, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It’s pretty clear what I said.
Either you are for freedom or you are against it.
It sounds like to me from you reponse you are anti-freedom.
You have a lot of work to do in changing the Constitution.
Talk about oversimplification. One is either for freedom or against it? You are for every freedom of every description? Want to restate that maybe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min kent 673,179
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Rider on the Storm 104,691
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min ffj 981,248
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 17 min Peter Ross 445,859
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 28 min ChromiuMan 6,187
News Michael Jackson Called A 'wonderful Humanitarian' (Jul '09) 2 hr Spotted Wee 7,660
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr LAWEST100 619,375
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Antonio Raviolio 184,619
More from around the web