Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#157288 Feb 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So you'd be willing to allow Hindu Prayers?
Buddhist prayers?
Jewish prayers?
Muslim prayers?
Wiccan prayers?
Satanist prayers?
You see, if all you allow is christian prayers, that is promoting one religion over all others,on the taxpayer dime, which is expressly unconstitutional.
That is indeed an excellent point. But we must not be afraid of a individuals right to freedom of religion or freedom of speech. A young person exerting their right to pray is not contaminating the entire population. It is an expression of their personal freedom so as long as it’s not disruptive.

Freedom is a good thing and not a bad one. We shouldn’t be afraid of it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#157289 Feb 28, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not kidding at all, nor do you seem to be paying attention.
Everything you listed are things we teach children, and prepare them for. There is no shame in any of that.
But you claim you would not be slightly embarrassed letting your kids watch you have sex with your wife?
I don't see it as appropriate to have sex in front of children. That doesn't make sex a bad thing. In fact, it is a very good thing that children tend not to understand. But I would be embarrassed if someone entered into the room unannounced while I was having sex, whether they are a child or not.
How about getting so drunk you vomit on yourself?
Unpleasant. I try to avoid this. But I see nothing wrong with having a drink in front of children.
How about getting stoned?
Not my taste, but I see nothing wrong with it in moderation.
How about letting them see an orgy with your wife? Or, seeing you have sex with someone else other than your wife, perhaps even another male?
We protect children because they are too young to understand the implications of many behaviors. That doesn't make those behaviors wrong. Sex is one of those behaviors that can be very disturbing to children because they often mistake it for violence. Even adults can be disturbed by the thought of their parents having sex.
Sorry, children are indeed a universal measuring stick for what society deems acceptable. You know I am right, but your ideology and beliefs are getting in the way, aren't they?:)
No, I simply think you are wrong. There are a great many things that children don't have the capabilities to understand. There are many things that are perfectly fine, but that children can become upset by.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157290 Feb 28, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the same God who supposedly wiped out the entire population of the Earth via flood? I'd say those numbers trump "ideological states" combined many times over. And in any case, if God's genocide numbers were lower, how does that make it morally OK?
See? This is exactly why critical thinking skills are important.
A point I would like to make. This same God who wiped out the population with a flood also provided them with a way to escape. I would say that trumps starving a entire population to death with no chance of escape.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#157291 Feb 28, 2013
Christianity is not proof that Jesus actually existed anymore than Islam is proof that the prophet Muhammad existed.

Lots of people throughout history have worshipped imaginary characters.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
The case for Jesus has been challenged, and successfully defended for 2000 years. It was attacked when Christianity was still fresh, and all failed to discredit it.
There is plenty of secular evidence. No Christian, EVER, had to defend his faith, or explain this to you. Only you have the burden of proving all the evidence false in history. Good luck!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#157292 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist Leaders and the number of deaths from wiki
Russia/Soviet Union
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (1870—1924): Marxist revolutionary and leader of the Bolsheviks. Lenin considered atheist and anti-religious propaganda to be essential to promoting communism.[18]
Nikita Khrushchev (1894–1971): Soviet General Secretary, 1953–1964.,[19][20]
Joseph Stalin: General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union's Central Committee from 1922 until his death in 1953.[21]
Leon Trotsky (1879–1940): Marxist theorist.[22]
Mikhail Gorbachev (1931–): Former Soviet president
Jiang Zemin (1926–): Chinese communist politician, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China 1989–2002 and President of China 1993–2003.[3] Mao Zedong (1893–1976): Chinese military and political leader, who led the Communist Party of China to victory in the Chinese Civil War, and was the leader of the People's Republic of China from its establishment in 1949 until his death in 1976. Under his leadership, China officially became an atheist state
the introduction, editor Stéphane Courtois asserts that "...Communist regimes...turned mass crime into a full-blown system of government". He cites a death toll which totals 94 million, not counting the "excess deaths" (decrease of the population due to lower than-expected birth rates). The breakdown of the number of deaths given by Courtois is as follows:
65 million in the People's Republic of China
20 million in the Soviet Union[3]
2 million in Cambodia
2 million in North Korea
1.7 million in Africa
1.5 million in Afghanistan
1 million in the Communist states of Eastern Europe
1 million in Vietnam[4]
150,000 in Latin America
10,000 deaths "resulting from actions of the international Communist movement and Communist parties not in power."(p. 4)
More than 123 Million died at the hands of Atheist Leaders!!!
Critical thinking test: show causality between each leader's atheism and those atrocities. Were they all done in the name of atheism, or is the leader's atheism unrelated?

Conversely, are atrocities committed by religious leaders in the name of their religion to be blamed on that religion's ideology?

San Francisco

#157293 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A point I would like to make. This same God who wiped out the population with a flood also provided them with a way to escape. I would say that trumps starving a entire population to death with no chance of escape.
What way of escape was provided? Noah only preached to those he had contact with. To the other 99.99% of the world the global flood would have come as a complete surprise.

Scottsburg, IN

#157294 Feb 28, 2013
So hitler killing all those Jews who he dubbed Christ killers was a good thing because of it's role in the reformation of Israel?

No atheist would say God may exercise his power to make something good happen out of a tragedy because atheists don't believe in any gods! Second of all you half wit if this god exercises his power to do such a thing that completely shatters your example of free will! If your god can exercise his power to help create that powder keg in the Middle East known as Israel why not exercise his power to save millions of Jews lives?

Wtf?!!
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently, I have to repost again, because you didn't read it the first time, or you are mentally challenged.
Typical ignorance.
Christianity 101. All that is evil can only exist by an act of free will. This does not negate the power God may exercise to make something good emerge from a tragedy.
Just as family members who might lose a loved one to cancer, to make something good turn out of it by starting a new cancer-aware program.
A logical atheists would know this, and would not make this error. A rational atheists takes the time to learn the theology, before making such foolish remarks.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157295 Feb 28, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not as if only an atheist would find the compulsion of a Christian prayer obnoxious to some degree. There are alot of other religions out there too, you know.
A Christian prayer is necessarily prosletyzing Christianity. Is that really difficult to grasp? What if you lived in a community of Scientologists who insisted on leading a prayer to L. Ron Hubbard to open every meeting? You might not find that offensive enough to complain about, or maybe you would. But I'm sure you'd resent it.
Why should we be afraid of freedom?

We should be afraid of an ideology that removes or stifles freedom.

Either we are for freedom or we are enemies against it.

E pluribus unum

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#157296 Feb 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yet when that Satanist soldier wanted a satanist head stone his family had a huge fight over that. Fair? It was his wishes and he died for our country so shouldn't the Christholes have shut up and let him have it?
<quoted text>
And they want to bring religion back into the schools.

I hope they'll be all understanding when some little kiddies start drawing pentagrams on the playground...

Scottsburg, IN

#157297 Feb 28, 2013
No they are not admissible.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
So the letters from the Apostles in the Bible are not admissible? the later sources do not confirm their writings?
That is far more evidence than necessary, we have less for the existence of Caesar himself, we have far less historical sources for most of Roman history than we do the events surrounding Jesus.
But you exclude the Bible itself, which naturally would be a collection of the most conclusive evidence, since that is what the religion is based on?
LOL!!!!!!

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157298 Feb 28, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Critical thinking test: show causality between each leader's atheism and those atrocities. Were they all done in the name of atheism, or is the leader's atheism unrelated?
Conversely, are atrocities committed by religious leaders in the name of their religion to be blamed on that religion's ideology?
Atheism was a common denominator. And Atheism was married to Communism.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#157299 Feb 28, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I would go wherever the objective evidence led me.
Exactly.

What do you call it when somebody goes where the evidence _doesn't_ lead?

Scottsburg, IN

#157300 Feb 28, 2013
And Christholes like you fought and denied his family his and their wishes. If you had any respect for the fighting men and women in the military you would support their wishes in such a matter.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
After you die the family is responsible for making the decisions in regard the remains. It’s a family decision.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#157301 Feb 28, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see it as appropriate to have sex in front of children. That doesn't make sex a bad thing. In fact, it is a very good thing that children tend not to understand. But I would be embarrassed if someone entered into the room unannounced while I was having sex, whether they are a child or not.
<quoted text>
Unpleasant. I try to avoid this. But I see nothing wrong with having a drink in front of children.
<quoted text>
Not my taste, but I see nothing wrong with it in moderation.
<quoted text>
We protect children because they are too young to understand the implications of many behaviors. That doesn't make those behaviors wrong. Sex is one of those behaviors that can be very disturbing to children because they often mistake it for violence. Even adults can be disturbed by the thought of their parents having sex.
<quoted text>
No, I simply think you are wrong. There are a great many things that children don't have the capabilities to understand. There are many things that are perfectly fine, but that children can become upset by.
Yeah you remind of the single man with a child dating a woman with children. Life begins ....when the kids go to sleep! And not a minute before then. LOL

Beside the trip to Disney anyway.

Scottsburg, IN

#157302 Feb 28, 2013
What escape path did your god give infants breast feeding or sleeping in their Mother's arms? What escape path did he give babies taking their first steps? What escape path did he give anyone thousands of miles away an on other continents from Noah?

Good grief you say some stupid things on here. Crazy ole Daffy always good for a laugh.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#157303 Feb 28, 2013
Apology accepted. She's a director of a large software company and I'm very proud of her.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch!
I am sorry.....

Scottsburg, IN

#157304 Feb 28, 2013
They hate it when you ask them this :)
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>

San Francisco

#157305 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Why should we be afraid of freedom?
We should be afraid of an ideology that removes or stifles freedom.
Either we are for freedom or we are enemies against it.
E pluribus unum
It seem like you are saying we should be afraid of Christianity. It is a religious ideology that certainly seeks to stifle freedom, in the extreme. I can't imagine you are talking about atheism, which is simply skepticism of religious claims for lack of proof. No stifling of freedom there.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157306 Feb 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
And Christholes like you fought and denied his family his and their wishes. If you had any respect for the fighting men and women in the military you would support their wishes in such a matter.
<quoted text>
It’s not my decision but the family of the deceased make those decisions. Not the government, not anyone but the family.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157307 Feb 28, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It seem like you are saying we should be afraid of Christianity. It is a religious ideology that certainly seeks to stifle freedom, in the extreme. I can't imagine you are talking about atheism, which is simply skepticism of religious claims for lack of proof. No stifling of freedom there.
It’s pretty clear what I said.

Either you are for freedom or you are against it.

It sounds like to me from you reponse you are anti-freedom.

You have a lot of work to do in changing the Constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Lonestar 92,466
Here they are Linda Kay 4 min Shakez5756 2
i can't stop thinking about my step-cousin (Feb '13) 8 min Treat959 15
BASAKSEHIR BOSCH Servisi (2I2) 2O2 62 33 OYAKKE... 12 min Mintz3376 2
mom sex wale gudgao only real 16 min Lollypop1781 3
Why does everyone claim that they are native am... (May '09) 20 min Tango8776 26
Anyone having sex with their step sibling (May '16) 25 min Flirts9578 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Michael 667,656
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 56 min trifecta1 979,343
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Lickz8951 183,615
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr truth 285,993
More from around the web