Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156759 Feb 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Told you guys! Lmfao! I called it.
<quoted text>
Proverbs 18:7

Amplified Bible (AMP)

7. "A [self-confident] foolís mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to himself"

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#156760 Feb 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it you are critical of lack of proof in science but not lack of proof in your religion?
Obviously he could say the same for you. I've had many opportunities in the past to chat with you and this has given me insight on your extremme lack of knowledge of the bible. To show everybody including myself I'll prove your lack of knowledge on the bible. When was the Catholic church and the Church of Christ established?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156761 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't. Not until you at least recognize there are two sides to the coin. All you atheists do is focus on negative, negative, negative... Without trying to understand why any scripture is written. You just cry out "GODDIDIT!"
The mind of many of these Atheist are maligned and deviant. They fight so very hard against something they donít believe in.

Like the man that claims thereís no fish in the sea yet he wrestles with a fish that is so huge he canít pull him in. Why fight the fish and try to reel him in if there is no fish?

They say God doesnít exist yet they wage war against God as if he does exist. Why fight something that doesnít exist? Unless of course he does exist.

If I didnít believe in God I would just go about my business. Why fight something you donít believe is real?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156762 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if the planet is the size of Jupiter and the tallest mountain only a few thousand meters high?
If earth was shrunk down to the size of a Q-ball it would be much smoother then the Q-ball. Could gravity be able to start it spinning that smooth?
Gravity works in straight lines, each tiny piece of mass to every other tiny piece of mass in the universe.

A perfect ball has a center of mass. Add a mountain and it is like a lever on that center, which then changes, BTW, because of the change in mass. In space you wouldn't have that fulcrum as you do on earth, but once the gravitational attraction starts the two balls moving you get all sorts of dynamics going, momentum, any EM attraction or repulsion, and a dance as the barycenter changes and has to work against that motion. The two ball example is oversimple. With other balls around you have the gravity force providing a fulcrum for the ball with the mountain to be levered on its axis. Theorectically it would just take a pile of dirt. Look up Newton's Theory on the effect of mountain on gravity. Mountains pull objects to the side because of their mass. Not a whole lot mind you, but it does. It has been proven. This mass in a straight line is also why you have gravitational anomalies on earth. Varying densities in its makeup. The strongest pull of gravity is diametric because of this, but you also have pulls to all the other mass, that one is just the strongest.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156763 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should research some stuff yourself instead of just being a follower.
It seems to me that asking Christians what they believe is a good way to find out what Christians believe.
I'm sorry for that. I've seen it on Topix a lot - more than I'd like to. I've known atheists that have very good moral sturctures and very good family values. Just because someone is atheist doesn't mean they're evil. In turn, just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they're good....
Thank you for that.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156764 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 2 dogs.
If that is an absolute truth then science has uncovered a lot and your bible fails at uncovering even a small fraction of what science has.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#156765 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Lets look at their myths
1) Big Bang when nothing exploded.
2) spontaneous self generating life.
3) one very week single cell life form
creating all plant and animal life that ever lived.
4) That atheism will replace God.
LOL!!!
Well, you know less about the big bang theory than I do, you should be ashamed of your ignorance.

You have life generated from non-life too, we just want to know how it was done. All you do is present a who, without any evidence, and expect that to be an answer. Well, you don't have an answer so there.

Third thing, makes no sense.

Last one, nope, however more people are ditching the religious nonsense for rationality and sanity every day.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#156766 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>An absolute truth is an unalterable and permanent fact.
For example?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156767 Feb 26, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
For example?
He said he said, He has two dogs.

Location hidden

#156768 Feb 26, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You know like you...the Taliban rejects science too.
You fundies hate science, because it shows you how wrong you are.
"You fundies hate science"

Thanks for telling me about what I like and what I hate. LOL

Why you're just like a fortune cookie!

LOL

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#156769 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as the future that you are eluding too.
What?

Eluding?

Too?

And no sentence either?

Location hidden

#156770 Feb 26, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>But, you are not taking any god's word for it, you are taking the word of the people who first wrote it down, then those who translated it, then those who edited it, then those who proof-read it, and finally those who print it.

You are taking the word of a lot of humans who could have, for any reason, said whatever they wanted.
But I am taking Gods word for it.
Unless you have proof to the contrary, feel free to button it.

Location hidden

#156771 Feb 26, 2013
These Topix atheist forums are highly amusing for one veru comical aspect.

Where else can you get acknowledged derivatives of stellar shit, pond scum, monkey orgies, and similar get on and assume a higher morality and purpose in life than those who believe we were designed by a higher intelligence and purpose beyond just having monkey orgies.

Their screeching at God's creations reveals their true identities.

A bit presumptuous of them, but they don't know no better.

Location hidden

#156772 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>F**k off.
"F**k off."

This from the "THINKER"

More like the "STINKER"

Location hidden

#156773 Feb 26, 2013
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/...

Big gap between what we know here and what we think we know.

Location hidden

#156774 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>We *know* that GR doesn't take into account quantum effects. The problem is finding a theory of gravity that *does*.

[QUOTE]Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.
"

And it is well known that GR will have to be modified in some way since it isn't a quantum theory of gravity. The problem is two-fold: 1) we don't have any current evidence specifically relating to quantum aspects of gravity, and 2) merging QM and GR has proven to be quite challenging. We have a couple of possibilities: string theory and loop quantum gravity. But because of the lack of evidence, we cannot test between these.

Second, in practice we still use Newton's theory of gravity in many cases: it is easier to use and gives very good approximations in most situations. So even if a quantum version of gravity is found and verified, GR will still be used for those situations where quantum effects are small and relativistic effects are significant.

But the expansion of the universe is NOT a quantum effect. The basic of the BB theory are not due to quantum effects. So GR works quite well until you get up to energies that are far, far higher than anything inside of stars today. The basic theory is still going to be valid even under a quantum theory of gravity.
Yup.

And String Theory fails too.

"If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false"

My new Theory "the Theory of Quantum Relativity Strings"

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156775 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>Even if the planet is the size of Jupiter and the tallest mountain only a few thousand meters high?

If earth was shrunk down to the size of a Q-ball it would be much smoother then the Q-ball. Could gravity be able to start it spinning that smooth?
Dave is batshit crazy.

What does he think.

The heavy side is going to fall down?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156776 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>The mind of many of these Atheist are maligned and deviant. They fight so very hard against something they don’t believe in.

Like the man that claims there’s no fish in the sea yet he wrestles with a fish that is so huge he can’t pull him in. Why fight the fish and try to reel him in if there is no fish?

They say God doesn’t exist yet they wage war against God as if he does exist. Why fight something that doesn’t exist? Unless of course he does exist.

If I didn’t believe in God I would just go about my business. Why fight something you don’t believe is real?
Religion exists.

God doesn't.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156777 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Gravity works in straight lines, each tiny piece of mass to every other tiny piece of mass in the universe.

A perfect ball has a center of mass. Add a mountain and it is like a lever on that center, which then changes, BTW, because of the change in mass. In space you wouldn't have that fulcrum as you do on earth, but once the gravitational attraction starts the two balls moving you get all sorts of dynamics going, momentum, any EM attraction or repulsion, and a dance as the barycenter changes and has to work against that motion. The two ball example is oversimple. With other balls around you have the gravity force providing a fulcrum for the ball with the mountain to be levered on its axis. Theorectically it would just take a pile of dirt. Look up Newton's Theory on the effect of mountain on gravity. Mountains pull objects to the side because of their mass. Not a whole lot mind you, but it does. It has been proven. This mass in a straight line is also why you have gravitational anomalies on earth. Varying densities in its makeup. The strongest pull of gravity is diametric because of this, but you also have pulls to all the other mass, that one is just the strongest.
You're an idiot Dave.

Deal with it.

You will never be as smart as you think you are.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156778 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if the planet is the size of Jupiter and the tallest mountain only a few thousand meters high?
The momentum in a falling body in orbit (curved path) changes it's angle of attack as it travels around the source of gravity holding it, causing an inertia shift .
This causes the spin of moons or planets , regardless of its shape.
This is called angular momentum. In physics from the very small to the very large, things have a natural tendency to spin and this is explained by angular momentum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min An NFL Fan 119,614
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 min andet1987 5,699
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min June VanDerMark 558,668
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Stilgar Fifrawi 773,100
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 5 min MADOFF Zionism 25
Bosch SERVIS NISPETIYE 342 OO 24 Bosch SERVISI ... 21 min faten22 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min Peace_Warrior 604,729
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min NEWS-FLASH 175,473
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 29 min Rick in Kansas 264,931