Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255927 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156853 Feb 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I believe souks exist. Who doesn't? ;)
<quoted text>
I've been in some of them, and even bought things in them. You have my testimony, brother.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#156854 Feb 27, 2013
If only there was an all powerful being somewhere that could have set things up differently.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You need a serious event in your life to demonstrate how one can hurt, and thus exist. Then you will observe a reality.

Westcliffe, CO

#156855 Feb 27, 2013
You can wear out a tape, you can wear out a record, you can even wear out a trumpet player. But can you wear out a digital recording?

Hmmm.... there has to be some profundity to that somewhere, somehow.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#156856 Feb 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are tuned to is your limitation. The process works. Also, don't forget harmonics. I thought you were a musician. You can tune another string on another register just by making a piece of paper vibrate when you hit the right harmonic.
Your playing affects other people? The playing on the universal scale affects you.
Yes, and you can shatter a glass with the right frequency, so what? I know al about harmonics and the overtone series. And yes, my playing does affect others, emotionally!!! How you jump from sound frequencies to something on a universal scale is speculative. Not sure just what point you are trying to make. Sand patterns on a dish? I told you how anyone can create whatever pattern they want using sound waves.

You can make that string vibrate using sound waves,but unless you physically divide the string into segments it will only vibrate to its original length. String players have to actually lightly "touch" the vibrating string to create a harmonic.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#156857 Feb 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Dearest Horn Tooter.
I mentioned the Grand Musician the other day?
That is something I became aware of almost 30 years before I even became aware of things like this video.
The demos start a minute into the video. Turn the audio off if you want. Just watch what happens. Sound, vibrations, creating forms.
EM is the basis for all of those vibrations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QUQj5Fh_550XX
There are other demos on the net if you want to look for them. This was just the first I ran across.
The only thing EM has to do with that is to produce the vibrations in the plates.

The particles merely make the peaks and valleys of the plate's vibration patterns visible. That's not EM, Dave. It's gravity.

Westcliffe, CO

#156858 Feb 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If only there was an all powerful being somewhere that could have set things up differently.
<quoted text>
Do not let your wish for a supreme daddy figure to set everything right confuse you about the reality of a deity and how it works. Particularly if it let you run loose on your own.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156859 Feb 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
How old are they now?

Let me know when they die.

That will be your proof.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156860 Feb 27, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I stole a motorcycle once and hid it.
I didn't want it to be found. But it existed.
I had a vial of crack cocaine in my room in the lock-down psych ward.
Didn't want it to be found, so I smoked it. Had no choice, but they didn't understand.
Yes, you didn't want it found, thus, your god could not exist or it would not want to be found, and therefore your bible is a lie.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#156861 Feb 27, 2013
So you're one of the "absent parent" believers?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not let your wish for a supreme daddy figure to set everything right confuse you about the reality of a deity and how it works. Particularly if it let you run loose on your own.

Westcliffe, CO

#156862 Feb 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So you're one of the "absent parent" believers?
<quoted text>
I don't really "believe" anything, but I am aware of a lot of things, especially how they more or less work. Processes.

All of this skydaddy stuff and the reaction to it is pretty much based on the human living experience. Babies, parents, authorities, etc. It is ingrained to think of this higher power, and to also believe it has your best interests at heart. Let me give you an alternative possibility based upon our human expericence, and perhaps you can develop your own logic from this. This is a very, very real thing that happens in our existence.

How many billions of times a day do you think some human is decding the fate of a living organism? Be it in a petri dish, a greenhouse, a pasture, in a barn, or even on the streets of a city in the middle of conflict. Some of this life is as intelligent as any human being, as they are human beings.

The almost total amount of this life affected was enabled and nurtured by man. If man can develop life from scratch, he would do the same thing.

It is obvious that just because something exists isn't reason for it to continue. What is the defining thing that is used in the determination of these creatures under man's dominion being allowed to live and breed, or to be terminated forever?

Why would it not be done to us?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#156863 Feb 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you didn't want it found, thus, your god could not exist or it would not want to be found, and therefore your bible is a lie.
Your sentence is unintelligible.

Oops,...sorry -

un·in·tel·li·gi·ble
/&#716;&#601;nin&# 712;tel&#601;j&#601;b &#601;l/
Adjective
Impossible to understand: "dolphin sounds are unintelligible to humans".

Location hidden

#156864 Feb 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
If you hid the motorcycle so good, it couldn't be found by yourself
or by any means known to science. It may not prove theres a god but.... There are a whole bunch of people you could get paid really, really, really well, that would like to talk to you
I was only concerned that it couldn't be found by any means known to the police.

Location hidden

#156865 Feb 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, and you can shatter a glass with the right frequency, so what? I know al about harmonics and the overtone series. And yes, my playing does affect others, emotionally!!! How you jump from sound frequencies to something on a universal scale is speculative. Not sure just what point you are trying to make. Sand patterns on a dish? I told you how anyone can create whatever pattern they want using sound waves.
You can make that string vibrate using sound waves,but unless you physically divide the string into segments it will only vibrate to its original length. String players have to actually lightly "touch" the vibrating string to create a harmonic.
Like my nephew Andy:

Westcliffe, CO

#156866 Feb 27, 2013
Why would Adam and Eve eat of the tree of good and evil and suddenly think they were naked? And then hide from that which had created and nurtured and protected them?

Just what was it this tree did?

Somehow it separated them from this greater force. Perhaps a removal of trust in it because they glimpsed outside, or something in it warped their thinking.

Such occurs in our nature all of the time. A cancer goes its own way from the original DNA blueprint. All sorts of similar processes that cause an outgrowth of the parent body and gives it a sense of self, so to speak.

This Bible god created man for companionship, he walked and talked with him, and to do some work in the garden. But then man separated himself, so he had to go. But he was allowed to live if he could, and given a path back home if he could overcome this sense of separateness.

Weird stuff, this existence. You can just imagine all sorts of things, and still be wrong. But the biggest wrong is believing you just appeared magically out of a poof because someone tells you it happened that way because they were playing with numbers.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156867 Feb 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.
Bacteria that were brought back from the moon, after being deposited there by previous humans, were brought back to life.
Sources please.

Location hidden

#156868 Feb 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
How old are they now?
Let me know when they die.
That will be your proof.
How 'bout if I just kick you in the balls instead?

Would that be proof I exist?

No? Then how 'bout if I hit you under the chin and knock you out of your shoes? Or out of your wife's shoes, depending on which night it is.

Let me know.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156869 Feb 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:

No, blind faith is gullibility,
What is? Your assertion that God isn't real? I know.
Belief requires evidence, without evidence you are only hoping, and hope is not fact.
Then why do you believe God isn't real? You have no evidence of that belief.
The default position is that until evidence is presented then it does not exist
You don't exist on the "cutting edge", do you?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156870 Feb 27, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Sources please.
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156871 Feb 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Any god that hides that good, doesn't want to be found.
God DOES want to be found. I have found Him, so have billions of other people.
If a god cannot be found by any means of science, It doesn't exist
HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156872 Feb 27, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
And how many times do you need it explained to you that without any observable evidence there is no reason to accept something?
<quoted text>
8 million times.

Get started.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min VIKING 56,066
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min kent 649,836
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min Hangman 972,387
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 36 min Malone 70,226
Poll Is the price is right fixed for blacks? (Jun '12) 1 hr bagoonis 145
Leslie Van Houten's parole hearing August 2009 (Jul '09) 1 hr ted 1,585
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 281,473
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web