Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156676 Feb 26, 2013
Don't you have some animals to torture?
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-n-t old-atheists-face-discriminati on-around-globe-184534163.html
Poor atheists.
Topix atheists on here aren't just blasphemous. They express and incite religious hatred. They don't just disagree, they attack.
You can run afoul of laws in various ways.
Just saying.

Lexington, KY

#156677 Feb 26, 2013
Dave is due for 6 more of his random topix atheists dithering commentaries. Be prepared to scroll past them as usual.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists are under the impression their "non-belief" is license to mock and ridicule religions and their adherents for not sharing their "non-belief".
They are protesting discrimination and alleging persecution of their "non-belief". They should be protected from religious persecution, they proclaim.
They have no belief.
They think they are above the laws they seek to protect them, that they are allowed to engage in ridicule and to proselytize their "non-belief".
They won't be prosecuted for being atheists, but for expressing hatred for religions.
Topix atheists are stupid.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#156678 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
OK fine. You're accusing the ancients of either lying, being delusional or misinformed.
THAT burden is on you.
THAT is your claim.
They make statements that are absurd. People do not have the ability to walk on water or come back to life after 3 days of being dead, among other things.

We know that people lie. We know that people are delusional. We know that people can be misinformed. All of these options are far more likely than the claims being true.

Do you believe that aliens abduct people and perform experiments on them? I'm guessing not, despite the fact that the testimonies for alien abduction far outweigh the testimonies for Jesus performing miracles.

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#156679 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are just using the word without really knowing what it really represents? But it sounds intelligent, right?
AFAIAC I gave an answer which you deserved. The tone of your initial reply gave me the impression you were more interested in picking a fight than discussing evolution.

Anyway, evolution is change over time, within groups. This happens via genetics. The changes need to be such that they can be passed onto the next generation
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix atheists do that a lot.
It could be just a case of you not liking the answers they give.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156680 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolute truth is an unalterable and permanent fact.
Then you have two dogs is a lie.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156681 Feb 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
When will you start?
You are a comedians 'dream come true'.
Perhaps we can help with a few Redneck tips 4 ya!
1. Even if you're certain that you are included in the will, it is still considered tacky to drive a U-Haul to the funeral home.
2. It's considered poor taste to take a cooler to church.
3. When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way.
4. Do not lay rubber while traveling in a funeral procession.
5. Always offer to bait your date's hook, especially on the first date.
6. Be aggressive. Let her know you're interested:'I've been wanting to go out with you since I read that stuff on the bathroom wall two years ago.'
7. Establish with her parents what time she is expected back. Some will say 10:00 PM; others might say 'Monday.' If the latter is the answer, it is the man's responsibility to get her to school on time.
TWO REASONS WHY IT IS HARD TO SOLVE A REDNECK MURDER:
1. Usually the DNA is the same.
2. There are seldom any dental records.
Xtian's are as predictable as little children.
Zero cohesive thought processes and excuses galore.
We eagerly await your very next syllable.
A city boy thinks a cow goes "moo", a sheep goes "baa", and a pig goes "up against the wall, hands behind your back!".

Why are city folks good at basketball?
Cause They already know how to Shoot, steal, and run.

City folk fence off the river then toss their trash in it & tell people y'all can't swim in it.

Lexington, KY

#156682 Feb 26, 2013
I have had Christians tell me how Armageddon would start once something bad happened to Israel, like it being nuked and almost everyone there dead or dying. This would be what kick started the end of the world. They say that while their sacrifice would be sad, it would be for the good of all humanity.

So Jesus needs the death of millions in his name, again to start Armageddon, and this horrid act is meant to not only be celebrated by Christians worldwide it's actually eagerly anticipated.

Remember this whenever a Christian wants to talk about their absolute truth and absolute morality.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156683 Feb 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I have had Christians tell me how Armageddon would start once something bad happened to Israel, like it being nuked and almost everyone there dead or dying. This would be what kick started the end of the world. They say that while their sacrifice would be sad, it would be for the good of all humanity.
So Jesus needs the death of millions in his name, again to start Armageddon, and this horrid act is meant to not only be celebrated by Christians worldwide it's actually eagerly anticipated.
Remember this whenever a Christian wants to talk about their absolute truth and absolute morality.
{death of millions}

You are a day late and a dollar short standing at the bus station.

Deaths of millions has already occurred in WWI, and WWII. Not to mention the 200 million that died under Atheist Leadership in the last 100 years.

CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156685 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A city boy thinks a cow goes "moo", a sheep goes "baa", and a pig goes "up against the wall, hands behind your back!".
Why are city folks good at basketball?
Cause They already know how to Shoot, steal, and run.
City folk fence off the river then toss their trash in it & tell people y'all can't swim in it.
Now yer talkin RR :-)

Redneck Tips part deux

MANNERS
1.Never take a beer to a job interview.
2.Always identify people in your yard before shooting at them.
3.If you have to vacuum the bed, it is time to change the sheets.

WEDDINGS
1.Livestock, usually, is a poor choice for a wedding gift.
2.Kissing the bride for more than 5 seconds may get you shot.
3.For the groom, at least, rent a tux. A leisure suit with a cummerbund and a clean bowling shirt can create too sporty an appearance.
4.Though uncomfortable, say 'yes' to socks and shoes for this special occasion.

PERSONAL HYGIENE
1.While ears need to be cleaned regularly, this is a job that should be done in private using one's OWN truck keys
2.Proper use of toiletries can forestall bathing for several days. However, if you live alone, deodorant is a waste of good money.
3.Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a social no-no, as they tend to detract from a woman's jewelry and alter the taste of finger foods.

DINING OUT
1.If drinking directly from the bottle, always hold it with your fingers covering the label.
2.Avoid throwing bones and food scraps on the floor as the restaurant may not have dogs.

ENTERTAINING IN YOUR HOME
1.A centerpiece for the table should never be anything prepared by a taxidermist.
2.Do not allow the dog to eat at the table no matter how good his manners are.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#156686 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
{death of millions}
Deaths of millions has already occurred in WWI, and WWII. Not to mention the 200 million that died under Atheist Leadership in the last 100 years.
did you get dizzy dodging his point like that?
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156687 Feb 26, 2013
The number of apologies are limitless and though some may seem hollow and disingenuous, the RCC advises all apologies will sound very sincere.

What will the creators of the Christian myth do now?

Did mother Teresa contact the pope and tell him to split?

Recent blunders and the poor handling of festering scandals indicate Benedict may have been far too immersed in scholarship and theology over his nearly eight-year tenure when what the church needed was a CEO.

"There was a time when the pope was a kind of king, and then, more recently, a spiritual leader," said Alistair Sear, a church historian in Rome. "Perhaps now we will see an age of the pope first and foremost as an administrator."

Just two weeks ago, Benedict, soon to turn 86, announced that he would be the first pope in 600 years to resign.

In doing so, he departs a multibillion-dollar institution with hundreds of thousands of employees and a vast global network.

Yet the Vatican has struggled through public relations crises over financial ineptitude, criminal allegations, bureaucratic fumbling and age-old interdepartmental conflicts.

Among the latest developments challenging the church, and awaiting the next pontiff:

On Monday, Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien said he would not attend the March conclave to elect Benedict's successor as he denied charges of "inappropriate behavior" with priests.

Benedict accepted O'Brien's resignation, though the Vatican said it was because the cardinal was nearing the retirement age of 75 and not because of the allegations in the British press.

On Friday, a German financier was named the new head of the scandal-plagued Vatican Bank, nine months after former president Ettore Gotti Tedeschi was ousted by the bank's board. The bank has been under investigation for years on allegations of money laundering, and on Jan. 1 Italy's central bank said it would no longer process ATM transactions on Vatican grounds.

Last week, Italian newspaper La Repubblica said unnamed sources leaked a secret Vatican report that among other things discussed a sex ring among gay priests in Rome. The Vatican denied the claim, but the report remains confidential. The Vatican confirmed that Benedict on Monday met with three cardinals about the report, but the press office said the contents would be sealed until the next pope is named. During the meeting, Benedict acknowledged that the investigation revealed the "limitations and imperfections" introduced by the "human factor" in "every institution."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013...

Chicago, IL

#156688 Feb 26, 2013
Death of millions for Jesus again is what I stated note the again part as Hitler already killed millions for being Christ killers.

Again Christians eagerly anticipate this, hence there goes your absolute morality and truth.

What did you think of Dave confessing he purposely hurt animals as a child? You before had something to say about people who did that but let me guess when it's your fellow Christian you are okay with it yes?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
{death of millions}
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156689 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
{death of millions}
Why did you omit the planets greatest mass murderer?

What was his name? Do you recall? Sure you do!

Who could forget these truly amazing stats?

1- The entire population of the earth at the time of Noah, except for eight survivors.(Genesis 7:23)

2- Everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.(Genesis 19:24,25)
3- Amalek and his people.(Exodus 17:8¬16)
4- 3,000 Israelites.(Exodus 32:27,28)
5- 14,700 Jews.(Numbers 16:44¬49)
6- The people of Og. "So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land." (Numbers 21:33¬35)
7- 24,000 people.(Numbers 25:4¬9)
8- All Midianite males.(Numbers 31:6¬12)
9- The Ammonites.(Deuteronomy 2:19¬21)
10-The Horims.(Deuteronomy 2:22)
11-The Amorites. "…utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones." (Deuteronomy 2:33¬35)
12-The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. "... thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them;" (Deuteronomy 7:1¬5)
13- Everyone in Jericho but one family.(Joshua 6:20¬25)
14-12,000 people of Ai.(Joshua 8:19¬29)
15-All the people of Makkedah.(Joshua 10:28)
16-All the people of Libnah.(Joshua 10:29,30)
17-All the people of Gezer.(Joshua 10:33)
18-All the people of Eglon.(Joshua 10:34,35)
19-All the people of Hebron.(Joshua 10:36,37)
20-10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites.(Judges 1:4)
21-All the inhabitants of the land of Goshen "... neither left they any to breathe." (Joshua 11:12¬16)
22-The inhabitants of Hormah, Gaza, Askelon, Ekron.(Judges 1:17¬19)
23-10,000 Moabites.(Judges 3:29)
24-600 Philistines.(Judges 3:31)
25-All the hosts of Sisera.(Judges 4:16)
26-120,000 Midianites.(Judges 8:10)
27-1,000 Philistines.(Judges 15:15)
28-25,100 Benjaminites.(Judges 20:35)
29-50,070 people of Bethshemesh.(1 Samuel 6:19)
30-All the Amalekites. "Slay both man and woman, infant and suckling…." (1 Samuel 15:3¬7)
31-200 Philistine men, in order to obtain their foreskins as the price for buying a bride.(1 Samuel 18:27)
32-22,000 Syrians.(2 Samuel 8:5)
33-40,000+ Syrians.(2 Samuel 10:18)
34-The Ammonites of Rabbah, who were tortured to death by the great King David.(2 Samuel 12:29¬31)
35-70,000 people.(2 Samuel 24:15)
36-Every man in Edom.(1 Kings 11:15)
37-All the prophets of Baal.(1 Kings 18:40)
38-127,000 Syrians.(1 Kings 20:28¬30)
39-Moabite captains & "fifties." (2 Kings 1:9¬14)
40-42 children, eaten by bears.(2 Kings 2:23,24)
41-185,000 Assyrians killed in their sleep.(2 Kings 19:35)
42-500,000 men of Israel.(2 Chronicles 13:16¬20)
43-20,000 Edomites.(2 Chronicles 25:11,12)
44-120,000 Judeans in one day.(2 Chronicles 28:5,6)
45-75,500+ people.(Esther 9:12¬14)

If there is safety in numbers - tell that to 6 million jews.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156690 Feb 26, 2013
Roland_Deschain wrote:
Natural selection and inheritance.
Oh, so only parts of ToE you agree with.

Got it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156691 Feb 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Both yes. Open a science book and look at the observable proof.
<quoted text>
"a science book"??

Just any ole science book wil tell me about the guess of the milisecond after BBT??

Dumb ass.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156692 Feb 26, 2013
The_Box wrote:
They make statements that are absurd. People do not have the ability to walk on water or come back to life after 3 days of being dead, among other things.
Nobody ever said that "people" could walk on water....
We know that people lie.
Don't put yourself above people....
We know that people are delusional. We know that people can be misinformed. All of these options are far more likely than the claims being true.
Oh. So you base your assumptions on circumstantial evidence?
Do you believe that aliens abduct people and perform experiments on them? I'm guessing not, despite the fact that the testimonies for alien abduction far outweigh the testimonies for Jesus performing miracles.
Difference is that modern day people claim all kinds of shit about aliens when nobody has photographed anything substantial. Considering every cell phone has a built in camera nowadays, you'd think somebody would've gotten a pic by now.

And considering in Jesus' times there were no cameras, hell there wasn't even real paper, documents, testimonies, art, literature, etc were all very hard to come by and to keep intact.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#156693 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody ever said that "people" could walk on water....
Yes, they do. The claim is that people saw a guy (Jesus) walk on water, magically turn water into wine, and resurrect from the dead, among other miracles.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Don't put yourself above people....
I'm not. I didn't say I've never lied. And I've certainly been mistaken about things.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh. So you base your assumptions on circumstantial evidence?
No. I base my stance on human knowledge.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Difference is that modern day people claim all kinds of shit about aliens when nobody has photographed anything substantial. Considering every cell phone has a built in camera nowadays, you'd think somebody would've gotten a pic by now.
There's no shortage of people with pics and video UFOs they claim to be spaceships.

On the other hand, we have zero physical evidence of Jesus' miracles.

You just helped my argument. Why believe in Jesus' miracles, but not alien abductions when the abductees have superior testimonies and superior physical evidence (however crappy)?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156694 Feb 26, 2013
What do you say when a Topix atheist starts blathering and asking stupid questions trying to put you on the defensive under the guise of intelligent discussion?

Nothing. You laugh at them.

Then they start giggling, ranting, and looking stupid on the sidewalk all by themselves, thinking they scored something.

Just say no to engaging the mentally ill.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156695 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to see where the Bible clearly states the Earth is 6000 years old. Please supply scripture reference.
What a Loser! Out of all that, the best you could do is That?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156697 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think God decides morality?
I do not think that. I said it was the Christian world-view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min atemcowboy 558,744
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 773,263
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 min MakeWOrldPEaceUID... 175,499
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min AussieBobby 264,955
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 18 min MakeWOrldPEaceUID... 4,665
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 21 min RiccardoFire 96,707
free phones 39 min vcsy 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 604,735
More from around the web