Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156661 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
I would love to see where the Bible clearly states the Earth is 6000 years old. Please supply scripture reference.
YOu know what's really funny? He knocks the Bible when he lied about the Bible saying the Earth is 6,000 years olg then he went on to bitch about the Great Flood, saying "There has been no such flood in the last 4 billion years or so."

4,000,000,000,000 years "or so".......

(with no evidence to support that hugemongous guess)

LMMFAO!

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#156662 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. It's fun to make you atheists look so stupid.
Of course probely the funniest thing to do on this website

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#156663 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
What we know now in science would be deemed absurd by ancients.
Right, because they lacked the knowledge we have and made things up in its place.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
You don't get to accuse the dead of anything. You have the burden to prove they were lying, or even biased.
No, you have the burden of proof to support the events with something other than highly questionable reports.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Almost all of the OT has been confirmed by outside sources and archaeology.
That's not true at all. Archaeology has debunked numerous stories like Noah's Ark and the Exodus.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Philo does mention it.
No, he doesn't.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
What is a superstitious era? Prove it.
One where people readily attach themselves to 'prophets'. You can look at the Bible alone and see it. Paul seems to be bitten by a snake while gathering wood. Oh, he just disturbed where the snake was laying, right? Nope, the locals say this means Paul is a murderer who the goddess is punishing. Paul doesn't immediately die. A modern person might think he didn't actually get bitten, or the snake didn't inject any venom, or it was a non-venomous snake, or Paul might have immunity to that venom. The locals? He's a god!
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Joseph Smith also has no witnesses. You now clearly show a lack of historical knowledge and the fundamental differences of the major religious claims.
That's simply not true. Joseph Smith had multiple witnesses who claimed they were shown the magic plates by angels and said they heard God's voice tell them it was all legit.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Variations among the groups is evidence of the overall truth. Had they all been exact, that would have been suspicious.
They should at least agree on the major tenets like Jesus' divinity.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Should be rejected without greater evidence? By what authority? By whose standards?
By any reasonable standards. The same standards you'd use against other claims. If I told you I used to be able to fly, there's no way you'd believe it on my word alone. You wouldn't even believe it if a couple of my friends told you they saw me do it.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
If your very dead great grandfather was accused of pedophilia, is the matter open for discussion? No, the dead are immune from accusations of falsehood, as they cannot defend themselves.
Of course it would be open for discussion. But you'd need to provide some evidence of it.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
You are accusing the ancients of lying. Only you have the burden of proof, otherwise you are a fraud and liar yourself.
They're not necessarily lying. They can be delusional as well, or simply misinformed. Given the complete implausibility of the claims, all 3 of these options are far more likely than the idea that the claims are true.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Your analogy of flying is absurd, of course I PERSONALLY would not believe in something that did not sound truthful. But if hundreds of witnesses testified to it, and a major social reform followed?
You don't have hundreds of witnesses testifying to it and social changes aren't indicative of truth.

Mormonism has better established witnesses and immediately resulted in a large community of believers which now number in the millions.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156664 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
It's weird that god can only live in the gaps of science.
You spend all you time arguing over scientific theories and hypothesis, but never once have I heard you mention where science got it right and the bible got it wrong. Why is that?
What is your god's cure for leprosy?
Yes, killing one bird, then dip another bird in the first bird's blood and then let it fly away.
Has this ever worked to cure leprosy? Why aren't we using it today?
Because it is absolute bullshit.
How old is the Earth?
Not 6,000 years, as the bible clearly states!
Was there a flood 5,000 years ago, which covered the entire Earth?
No. There has been no such flood in the last 4 billion years or so.
So, you stay in your ever shrinking gaps! You will not be missed.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to see where the Bible clearly states the Earth is 6000 years old. Please supply scripture reference.
Sheep shit is not cognizant or aware of the fact that is is the number crunchers and worshipers that studied the Bible and made those deductions, and were not written down as facts as he thinks. The Bible is allegorical, not literal.

BTW, those same kind of number crunchers and worshipers are now bringing him the new cosmology and "non-religion".

Westcliffe, CO

#156665 Feb 26, 2013
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
Well spotted. Where I come from they are used as a means of communication. I consider myself to be reasonably good at it. After all, we are using English, which is my mother tongue.
<quoted text>
Of course. I write something then you write something in reply and so on.
<quoted text>
Like fundies and apologetics?
So you are just using the word without really knowing what it really represents? But it sounds intelligent, right?

Topix atheists do that a lot.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#156666 Feb 26, 2013
Atheism isn't a religion, for me Christianity makes the most sense, jewish makes no sense to say jesus wasn't born yet but the rest is 100% correct, and catholic always makes me feel like it's a religion that people use just to participate in religion

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#156667 Feb 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I've been burned and felt all sorts of pain(S). I'm sure you have too.
If it's the same creature, it is almost literally, indescribable.
I'm glad(not that you were stung) that you have possibly ran across the same thing because when you try to relate what it was like it just comes across as whining or "it can't have been that bad".
It was. hahaa, KUDOS, Dave.
I suspect this may have been the culprit:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LyraEDISServlet...

I've seen them around, but had been forewarned.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156668 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:

What we know now in science would be deemed absurd by ancients.
The_Box wrote:
Right, because they lacked the knowledge we have and made things up in its place.
When we are "ancients", our descendants will likely say the same thing about us....

I understand that your athi-ego tells you that humans are at the peak of knowledge right now and we won't get any better.

But you're wrong.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156669 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
You are accusing the ancients of lying. Only you have the burden of proof, otherwise you are a fraud and liar yourself.
The_Box wrote:
They're not necessarily lying. They can be delusional as well, or simply misinformed.
Semantics.

OK fine. You're accusing the ancients of either lying, being delusional or misinformed.

THAT burden is on you.

THAT is your claim.

Westcliffe, CO

#156670 Feb 26, 2013
The lack of original thought in posts by the majority of Topix atheists reveals the likely reality of them being programs using algorithms and heuristics to simulate a real human. But that lack of flexibility, use of the same phrases and talking points, and lack of uniqueness people have in expressing themselves gives them away. Crude artificial intelligence.

Might be part of some scientific study instead of just advancing an agenda, who knows? Just advancing an agenda would be counterproductive, as they truly do look less than intelligent human beings.

The funny part is the true human atheists jump in and support them, which reflects a more emotional motivation than an intellectual one.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156671 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. It's fun to make you atheists look so stupid.
When will you start?

You are a comedians 'dream come true'.

Perhaps we can help with a few Redneck tips 4 ya!

1. Even if you're certain that you are included in the will, it is still considered tacky to drive a U-Haul to the funeral home.

2. It's considered poor taste to take a cooler to church.

3. When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way.

4. Do not lay rubber while traveling in a funeral procession.

5. Always offer to bait your date's hook, especially on the first date.

6. Be aggressive. Let her know you're interested:'I've been wanting to go out with you since I read that stuff on the bathroom wall two years ago.'

7. Establish with her parents what time she is expected back. Some will say 10:00 PM; others might say 'Monday.' If the latter is the answer, it is the man's responsibility to get her to school on time.

TWO REASONS WHY IT IS HARD TO SOLVE A REDNECK MURDER:
1. Usually the DNA is the same.
2. There are seldom any dental records.

Xtian's are as predictable as little children.
Zero cohesive thought processes and excuses galore.

We eagerly await your very next syllable.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156672 Feb 26, 2013
Daffy spent several posts talking about sociopaths being cruel to animals and such in their youth. Let's see if he condemns you for your cruelty.

You being a Christian most likely he'll let it slide.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I use to throw rocks at their hives and then run like hell back to the house with them chasing me. Sometimes I lost.

Lexington, KY

#156673 Feb 26, 2013
Both yes. Open a science book and look at the observable proof.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Observable proof...
OF what happened a milisecond after the supposed big bang thingy happened?
LMAO!!
Observable proof...
That all life came from one life?
LMMFGDAOOOO

Location hidden

#156674 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When we are "ancients", our descendants will likely say the same thing about us....
To some degree, but not in the same way. It's immeasurably harder to get away with false claims these days because nearly everything is documented and people are more skeptical.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I understand that your athi-ego tells you that humans are at the peak of knowledge right now and we won't get any better.
Of course we'll learn more. Where did you get the notion that I think otherwise?

Lexington, KY

#156675 Feb 26, 2013
Atheism mean you don't believe in any god. Much suffering on earth today is caused by people who believe in this delusion they call god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're under the typical atheist assumption that suffering is caused by God and not humans.
At least you believe that God is real, that's a good start.

Lexington, KY

#156676 Feb 26, 2013
Don't you have some animals to torture?
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-n-t old-atheists-face-discriminati on-around-globe-184534163.html
Poor atheists.
Topix atheists on here aren't just blasphemous. They express and incite religious hatred. They don't just disagree, they attack.
You can run afoul of laws in various ways.
Just saying.

Lexington, KY

#156677 Feb 26, 2013
Dave is due for 6 more of his random topix atheists dithering commentaries. Be prepared to scroll past them as usual.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists are under the impression their "non-belief" is license to mock and ridicule religions and their adherents for not sharing their "non-belief".
They are protesting discrimination and alleging persecution of their "non-belief". They should be protected from religious persecution, they proclaim.
They have no belief.
They think they are above the laws they seek to protect them, that they are allowed to engage in ridicule and to proselytize their "non-belief".
They won't be prosecuted for being atheists, but for expressing hatred for religions.
Topix atheists are stupid.

Location hidden

#156678 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
OK fine. You're accusing the ancients of either lying, being delusional or misinformed.
THAT burden is on you.
THAT is your claim.
They make statements that are absurd. People do not have the ability to walk on water or come back to life after 3 days of being dead, among other things.

We know that people lie. We know that people are delusional. We know that people can be misinformed. All of these options are far more likely than the claims being true.

Do you believe that aliens abduct people and perform experiments on them? I'm guessing not, despite the fact that the testimonies for alien abduction far outweigh the testimonies for Jesus performing miracles.

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#156679 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are just using the word without really knowing what it really represents? But it sounds intelligent, right?
AFAIAC I gave an answer which you deserved. The tone of your initial reply gave me the impression you were more interested in picking a fight than discussing evolution.

Anyway, evolution is change over time, within groups. This happens via genetics. The changes need to be such that they can be passed onto the next generation
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix atheists do that a lot.
It could be just a case of you not liking the answers they give.

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156680 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolute truth is an unalterable and permanent fact.
Then you have two dogs is a lie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Wyle E Coyote 808,533
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 18 min hojo 573,533
Whatsapp group Hot n Sexy for guys and girls 22 min Jay 36
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min RADEKT 268,762
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 41 min Qu_innocence 608,092
Chaitanya Holidays | Best Tour Planner in Mumbai 1 hr Chaitanya_Holidays 1
Any girls looking for some sexy fun on Skype? (Dec '12) 2 hr nuhomar1 27
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr DNF 97,844
More from around the web