Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
150,501 - 150,520 of 226,548 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#156587 Feb 26, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sort of.
You're not supposed to run into the wall, though.
You don't know me very well.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#156589 Feb 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know me very well.
Well enough to issue the caution.

Hehehe.
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#156590 Feb 26, 2013
A drive in theater is somewhere Dave goes to slash the seats.

He hasn't thought it through.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a drive in theater?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#156591 Feb 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirit is reality. What you see as reality is only a projected dream.
ďNothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of god.Ē
-A Course in Miracles
You just disproved god... well done.
allass

Voorhees, NJ

#156592 Feb 26, 2013
anyone who is a non white atheist is extremely dangerous..
only the white atheist has any morals..

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156593 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís weird, Atheist donít believe in God. Yet they believe all life just magically self created from sterile material and made this crazy run on the earth. We know thatís impossible because scientist have not been able replicate it in this modern era of science.
Then they point at us believing in a myth. But itís acceptable for them to believe in a myth. Even though science does not support their position. They say science will one day will come up with an answer for how it all started.
Science will come up with a time machine way before they figure out the genesis of life.
It's weird that god can only live in the gaps of science.

You spend all you time arguing over scientific theories and hypothesis, but never once have I heard you mention where science got it right and the bible got it wrong. Why is that?

What is your god's cure for leprosy?

Yes, killing one bird, then dip another bird in the first bird's blood and then let it fly away.

Has this ever worked to cure leprosy? Why aren't we using it today?

Because it is absolute bullshit.

How old is the Earth?

Not 6,000 years, as the bible clearly states!

Was there a flood 5,000 years ago, which covered the entire Earth?

No. There has been no such flood in the last 4 billion years or so.

So, you stay in your ever shrinking gaps! You will not be missed.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#156594 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it suggests that the deity in question created us.
After all, evolution also hates pretty much everything Christians do. Immoral people obsessed with petty desires are not desirable to the overall survival and expansion of the species.
:)
Oh, great! Another subset to the WAG family! "evolution also hates" How do you come up with this shit?
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#156595 Feb 26, 2013
F**k off.
allass wrote:
anyone who is a non white atheist is extremely dangerous..
only the white atheist has any morals..

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156596 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical ignorance.
Christianity 101. All that is evil can only exist by an act of free will. This does not negate the power God may exercise to make something good emerge from a tragedy.
Just as family members who might lose a loved one to cancer, to make something good turn out of it by starting a new cancer-aware program.
A logical atheists would know this, and would not make this error. A rational atheists takes the time to learn the theology, before making such foolish remarks.
You are neither rational nor logical, and you have no idea what those even mean. You are deluded into thinking your imaginary friend is real in spite of being unable to present any real evidence that it is more than imagination.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#156597 Feb 26, 2013
Italian jeans maker with trademark on 'Jesus' cracking down on US apparel companies

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/26/italian-...

"Attorneys for the company say their trademark is similar to the trademark owned by Nike, whose namesake is the winged goddess of victory."

How true. The god, demigod, son of god, whatever you want to call him, joins the ranks of other mythological gods we now use for marketing. I bet the christian churches are pissed! They have had exclusive rights to the marketing of the name,'jesus' for 2000 years!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#156598 Feb 26, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but was he coming or going?
I've been stung twice by them and both times I was so unconcerned about - them - I've no idea.

frikken intense pain. I've been stung or bit by all kinds of insects and critters numerous times.

Those are some really bad ones. Maybe I'm sensitive to those. All I know is I'd choose 10 hornet stings to just one of those if given the option.

They're like a jellyfish, all it takes is just a light "brush" against those spines, and it's done. It's delayed, too.

You glance against it, and think: "Oh, what an interesting looking caterpILLLARRRRRAAARRRGHHHHHOL YFUCAAGGGAGGGGA!" <shaking arm, dancing, hopping>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#156600 Feb 26, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You deny that truth is absolute?
I have no idea what "absolute truth" is.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#156601 Feb 26, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning God..
That's an absolute lie.

What is absolute truth?

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#156602 Feb 26, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an absolute lie.
What is absolute truth?
In the beginning was the curd, and the curd was with Gouda, and the curd was Gouda.

Cheesus Christ, what am I saying?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156603 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow a science nut admitting that GR is not a 100% working scientific theory.
We *know* that GR doesn't take into account quantum effects. The problem is finding a theory of gravity that *does*.
Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.
And it is well known that GR will have to be modified in some way since it isn't a quantum theory of gravity. The problem is two-fold: 1) we don't have any current evidence specifically relating to quantum aspects of gravity, and 2) merging QM and GR has proven to be quite challenging. We have a couple of possibilities: string theory and loop quantum gravity. But because of the lack of evidence, we cannot test between these.

Second, in practice we still use Newton's theory of gravity in many cases: it is easier to use and gives very good approximations in most situations. So even if a quantum version of gravity is found and verified, GR will still be used for those situations where quantum effects are small and relativistic effects are significant.

But the expansion of the universe is NOT a quantum effect. The basic of the BB theory are not due to quantum effects. So GR works quite well until you get up to energies that are far, far higher than anything inside of stars today. The basic theory is still going to be valid even under a quantum theory of gravity.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156604 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
If it's not intended for children, usually that means society is ashamed of it.
Thus, my point.
What is goof enough for children is actual a universal moral standard. Sociology 101. There is a reason why evolution makes us feel "ashamed" by certain actions.
You have *got* to be kidding. Many things are not intended for children: driving, drinking alcohol, drinking coffee, entering into contracts, etc. I don't have sex with my wife in front of children, but that doesn't mean I am ashamed of doing so.

Your 'universal moral standard' is laughable.

Location hidden

#156605 Feb 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That particular caterpillar has really painful sting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddleback_cater...
I've been stung buy all sorts of creatures and at least in my experience, it feels like someone smacked you with a red hot framing hammer.
I grew up in Miami and played with bugs for years. One day I was pruning a bush in the yard and got stung by a light green caterpillar we had down there that I had played with during that time and never got stung by. Didn't know they could even sting. That was absolutely the most painful sting I ever had in my life.
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#156606 Feb 26, 2013
I once saw someone get stung by a bee.

$20 for a pot of honey.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in Miami and played with bugs for years. One day I was pruning a bush in the yard and got stung by a light green caterpillar we had down there that I had played with during that time and never got stung by. Didn't know they could even sting. That was absolutely the most painful sting I ever had in my life.

Location hidden

#156607 Feb 26, 2013
Simple translation. Am math template was formed by math heads that they think the universe must conform to. Too much statistics and probabilities to be accurate, in addition to incorrect interpretation of events that created that template. But they won't let that stop them, The universe vill conform!!

They would do better if they started off with a plain piece of paper and used some basic math. After they resolve some basic issues between reality and math concepts. Theoretical points are one of those.

Circles and straight lines create quanta, and leave unaccountable spaces.

"The mathematical formulations of quantum mechanics are abstract. A mathematical function called the wavefunction provides information about the probability amplitude of position, momentum, and other physical properties of a particle. Mathematical manipulations of the wavefunction usually involve the bra-ket notation, which requires an understanding of complex numbers and linear functionals. The wavefunction treats the object as a quantum harmonic oscillator, and the mathematics is akin to that describing acoustic resonance. Many of the results of quantum mechanics are not easily visualized in terms of classical mechanics--for instance, the ground state in a quantum mechanical model is a non-zero energy state that is the lowest permitted energy state of a system, as opposed to a more "traditional" system that is thought of as simply being at rest, with zero kinetic energy. Instead of a traditional static, unchanging zero state, quantum mechanics allows for far more dynamic, chaotic possibilities, according to John Wheeler.

The earliest versions of quantum mechanics were formulated in the first decade of the 20th century. At around the same time, the atomic theory and the corpuscular theory of light (as updated by Einstein) first came to be widely accepted as scientific fact; these latter theories can be viewed as quantum theories of matter and electromagnetic radiation, respectively. Early quantum theory was significantly reformulated in the mid-1920s by Werner Heisenberg, Max Born and Pascual Jordan, who created matrix mechanics; Louis de Broglie and Erwin SchrŲdinger (Wave Mechanics); and Wolfgang Pauli and Satyendra Nath Bose (statistics of subatomic particles). And the Copenhagen interpretation of Niels Bohr became widely accepted. By 1930, quantum mechanics had been further unified and formalized by the work of David Hilbert, Paul Dirac and John von Neumann,[2] with a greater emphasis placed on measurement in quantum mechanics, the statistical nature of our knowledge of reality, and philosophical speculation about the role of the observer. Quantum mechanics has since branched out into almost every aspect of 20th century physics and other disciplines, such as quantum chemistry, quantum electronics, quantum optics, and quantum information science. Much 19th century physics has been re-evaluated as the "classical limit" of quantum mechanics, and its more advanced developments in terms of quantum field theory, string theory, and speculative quantum gravity theories."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanic...

Location hidden

#156608 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I once saw someone get stung by a bee.
$20 for a pot of honey.
<quoted text>
I use to throw rocks at their hives and then run like hell back to the house with them chasing me. Sometimes I lost.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min It aint necessari... 734,001
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 19 min Johnny 2,547
Judge Mathew J. Gary (Jun '12) 23 min Ghost 27
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min AussieBobby 258,212
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 27 min Sameer 769
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 59 min The Awakener 173,311
Calling Islam 'the religion of peace' was the D... 1 hr yon 8
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Black Thunder 42 600,201
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr JUDEletePete 118,132
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 539,557