Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156627 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many scientists are. But the good ones don't let their religious beliefs trump their science. None-the-less, the basic Christian world-view is based on middle Platonism and is, at base, wrong.
What do you consider the "Christian world-view" is?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#156628 Feb 26, 2013
Topix atheists are under the impression their "non-belief" is license to mock and ridicule religions and their adherents for not sharing their "non-belief".

They are protesting discrimination and alleging persecution of their "non-belief". They should be protected from religious persecution, they proclaim.

They have no belief.

They think they are above the laws they seek to protect them, that they are allowed to engage in ridicule and to proselytize their "non-belief".

They won't be prosecuted for being atheists, but for expressing hatred for religions.

Topix atheists are stupid.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156629 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
What makes that an 'absolute' truth as opposed to simple 'a truth'?
It's not permanent.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#156630 Feb 26, 2013
Wrong. I said "any all powerful god". You took that to mean your myth.

So humans are to blame for all cot death? All miscarriages? All childhood leukaemia? And your all powerful god just lets it happen?

Your belief system is really evil.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're under the typical atheist assumption that suffering is caused by God and not humans.
At least you believe that God is real, that's a good start.

Lamar, CO

#156631 Feb 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I've been burned and felt all sorts of pain(S). I'm sure you have too.
If it's the same creature, it is almost literally, indescribable.
I'm glad(not that you were stung) that you have possibly ran across the same thing because when you try to relate what it was like it just comes across as whining or "it can't have been that bad".
It was. hahaa, KUDOS, Dave.
I've experienced a lot of pains, including rabies shots. That sting left the most lasting effect on my psyche of any I have experienced. Makes you want to jump out of your body, but it won't let you. You just can't shut it off until it fades on its own. They should use it for interrogating terrorists.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156632 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider the "Christian world-view" is?
That there is a supernatural creator of the physical universe that decides morality and send 'his''son' as a sacrifice to save those who believe this story.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156633 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not permanent.
So your having 2 dogs is NOT an absolute truth? And would the statement 'You have 2 dogs on February 26, 2013' be an absolute truth?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156634 Feb 26, 2013
Asimov:

[W]hen people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
Siro

Australia

#156635 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Wrong. I said "any all powerful god". You took that to mean your myth.
So humans are to blame for all cot death? All miscarriages? All childhood leukaemia? And your all powerful god just lets it happen?
Your belief system is really evil.
<quoted text>
We serve God not vice versa Mr Entitlement.
Your last sentence shows you to be a maltheist
Imhotep

United States

#156636 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
What we know now in science would be deemed absurd by ancients. Legendary manner? There is no such thing.
No, I propose that Islam came from one man with no witnesses to his claims.
You don't get to accuse the dead of anything. You have the burden to prove they were lying, or even biased.
Almost all of the OT has been confirmed by outside sources and archaeology.
Philo does mention it.
What is a superstitious era? Prove it.
Exactly. Who would you go about proving the dead were liars?
Joseph Smith also has no witnesses. You now clearly show a lack of historical knowledge and the fundamental differences of the major religious claims.
Variations among the groups is evidence of the overall truth. Had they all been exact, that would have been suspicious.
Should be rejected without greater evidence? By what authority? By whose standards?
If your very dead great grandfather was accused of pedophilia, is the matter open for discussion? No, the dead are immune from accusations of falsehood, as they cannot defend themselves. The evidence must be overwhelming that any new accusations later in history are valid.
You are accusing the ancients of lying. Only you have the burden of proof, otherwise you are a fraud and liar yourself.
Nor does the truth of something depend upon us believing it. Your analogy of flying is absurd, of course I PERSONALLY would not believe in something that did not sound truthful. But if hundreds of witnesses testified to it, and a major social reform followed? Then my opinion has no weight ... and neither does yours now.
Wrong!

Moses and Jesus exist only in the Bibles each cult uses as 'proof'.

Both Roman and Egyptian history do not record these men of myth.

Supposed Jesus witnesses

Josephus - Born 37 CE
Phlegon - Born about 80 CE
Tacitus - Born 56 CE
Pliny the Younger - Born 61 CE
Suetonious - Born about 69 CE
The Babylonian Talmud - 200CE
Lucian - Born 125 CE
Phlegon - 2nd century

How exactly are these guys witnesses to something that happened before they were even born?

Hearsay isn't admissible in court for a reason.

--

Tacitus was born in 56 CE, more than two decades after the alleged execution.

In fact, his writings about Jesus were done in 116 CE. This cannot be anything but 3rd hand (if not 4th or 5th) retelling, and the historical validity of the tale is therefore nil.

Since he was the first to write about it, where did he get the info? Surely not from earlier writings, right?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156638 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
That there is a supernatural creator of the physical universe that decides morality and send 'his''son' as a sacrifice to save those who believe this story.
What makes you think God decides morality?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156639 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
So your having 2 dogs is NOT an absolute truth? And would the statement 'You have 2 dogs on February 26, 2013' be an absolute truth?
Arguing with atheists about God - absoute truth.

Lamar, CO

#156640 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
From which perspective to you look at that?

Would it be some separate and distinct entity dispatching another to be inserted into a collection of mass and energy, or would it be more on the order of say a body dispatching blood cells to regions of its own composition?

Can man and God be two separate and distinct objects if God created man?

You and your computer could appear as two separate objects, but your scientific knowledge tells you they are just aspects of the same entity, to wit, this universe.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#156641 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolute truth is an unalterable and permanent fact.
An absolute truth is whatever you believe it to be.

Enjoy.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#156642 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Asimov:
[W]hen people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
“One man's religion is another mans' belly laugh.”~Isaac Asimov

“Anger is the common substitute for logic among those who have no evidence for what they desperately want to believe.”~Isaac Asimov

Lamar, CO

#156643 Feb 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolute truth is whatever you believe it to be.
Enjoy.
Is that an absolute truth?
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#156644 Feb 26, 2013
Wrong. I don't believe in your evil god.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
We serve God not vice versa Mr Entitlement.
Your last sentence shows you to be a maltheist
Siro

Australia

#156645 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Wrong. I don't believe in your evil god.
<quoted text>
You say God doesnt exist and yet you say he is evil.
If you say that you have no faith/belief in God because he is evil, then you indeed are a maltheist
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#156646 Feb 26, 2013
No. I can say "That Voldemort's a bastard" without implying I believe in Voldemort.

Your belief issue is your own problem.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
You say God doesnt exist and yet you say he is evil.
If you say that you have no faith/belief in God because he is evil, then you indeed are a maltheist

Lamar, CO

#156647 Feb 26, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

Interesting story. One of many similar.

What really saved his ass?

Grizzlies, wolves, cougars, or any other predator didn't smell the blood, pick up his scent, or see his weakened condition, especially early on. They were around. Easy meal, but they didn't run across it.

Rabbits are every predator's favorite menu item, but many of them survive by chance just because a predator didn't get wind of them. They are around.

Predators are tuned and equipped to find prey. They are always hungry. They can see well, they can hear well, they can sniff the air and detect smells miles away. Not too many prey would survive more than one encounter with a predator. Yet so much prey lives to ripe ages. Mostly because they were hidden in a sort of way.

Why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min eternalrock 992,448
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 12 min positronium 53,354
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min Cooterbob 693,585
Can Chinese girls date foreign men? 32 min ezekiel11 1
Is God a "Bully" sometimes? 1 hr Past JW 53
Who are the most racist people towards inter-ra... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 15
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,474
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) Mon dirtyguy34 35
More from around the web