Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156470 Feb 25, 2013
Let us consider:

In the beginning a rockdidit...

Interesting claim that requires absolute knowledge, which clearly you do not have...

:-)
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#156471 Feb 25, 2013

Location hidden

#156472 Feb 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Which was first - sea life, dinosaurs or humanity?
What does your logic tell you?
GODDIDIT?
If she did she really made a serious mess of things.
Poor God had to kill off her entire 1st attempt at creation save a 900 year old man and his family of clever carpenters and boat builders.
Then instead of at least tossing them a nail or two, he leaves them to complete the boat thus not being able to account for those pesky marsupials and a host of other life unknown to God at the time.
You see... God was the 1st creator of Alzheimers and also the very 1st victim of his disease.
10 important questions to be asked by any rational person as a guide to the question of whether or not there is a Christian God.
1. If logic is the hallmark that separates man from beast, why is religion then a matter of “faith”, rather than rationality?
2. If something cannot be proved, then why do people continue to believe in it?
3. Why is your religion any more valid than other religions?
Catholic, Protestant (any of many sects) Islam? Judaism?
Buddha? Hindu?
4. If the Christian God is monotheistic how can it also be triune with Jesus & the Holy Spirit?
5. If God was the father of Jesus via the “immaculate conception”, wasn’t Mary technically raped & impregnated against her will?
6. If Jesus was born to a mother who was unwed doesn’t that make him a bastard?
7. If “Christ died for your sins on the cross”, how much of a sacrifice was it really, considering he’s immortal?
8. Why do people continue to believe in religion’s gods when promises made for thousands of years have yet to be delivered, whereas, science has shown us the earth is NOT flat, the earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around, medicine heals but prayers don’t, and although we can’t literally walk on water we can circumnavigate the globe underwater in a submarine and fly to the moon?
9. If God made the earth and then created a great flood to wipe it out, how could a perfect, infallible being make something needing to be destroyed and begun anew?
10. If God “gave his only son” to save us from our sins, then why do we have to do anything?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
Albert Einstein
I could of course take the time to deal with these internet cut and paste anti-theist arguments.

Or I could just ask you to account for Absolute Truth...

Your inability to do so, will reveal the truth of Gods existance.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156473 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Waste not, want not.
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Location hidden

#156474 Feb 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>It's really not that complicated. Despite your continuing attempts to shift the burden of proof.
Absent evidence, there's no reason to believe in a deity.
But here you have a problem...

As an atheist you cannot even account for reason...

Location hidden

#156475 Feb 25, 2013
An atheist listening for Gods voice and not hearing it concludes there is no God.

Then someone points out the earplugs the atheist is wearing and the atheist has to deny they even know what an earplug is...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156476 Feb 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying there is no absolute truth?
The word 'absolute' is redundant. There is truth.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156477 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning God...
How do we know this?
Because the One who knows everything revealed it to us...
And how do you know that? In particular, how do you know that the person who told you the Bible was revealed was correct?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156478 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
One does not need a deity to have reason. That is an account enough.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156479 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am making perfect sense.
Account for absolute truth.
Can you account for absolute truth?
The word 'absolute' is redundant. Truth is simply a statement of how things are. Since there is a difference between truth (how things are) and falsehood (not how things are), we have an accounting of truth.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156480 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's harder to take a pot shot at me when I am in the middle of all those cows.
i don't mean to take pot shots at you, even though you are an easy target, even when hiding amongst the cows. I enjoy the dialog we have, I think you try way to hard to impress others with your intellect. And I have a tendency to be a little rigid. Having said that, I can only wonder why you so resist complexity in music and art. if you are as intelligent as you try so hard to assert, why does complexity bother you? Why do you insist on supporting anything without evidence. Personally, I think you're one step away from being an Atheist. Take the step baby, step into the light of reason....come on....you can do it!!!! I'll even take you out for a cruise on my beautiful boat, we'll sail up to Gloucester.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156481 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not seen the big bang, neither has anyone else...
You have no evidence for it.
There is *plenty* of evidence for it, from the red-shifts of galaxies, to the cosmic background radiation, to the abundances of light elements in the universe. One need not have 'been there' to be able to see the evidence *left over* from it.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#156482 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The word 'absolute' is redundant. Truth is simply a statement of how things are. Since there is a difference between truth (how things are) and falsehood (not how things are), we have an accounting of truth.
Hey hey hey, no going outside mtimber's script. He doesn't like that.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156483 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I could of course take the time to deal with these internet cut and paste anti-theist arguments.
Or I could just ask you to account for Absolute Truth...
Your inability to do so, will reveal the truth of Gods existance.
Actually its your inability to answer even one of the questions.

Yours is a fantasy world, which is impossible to defend, let alone convince any reasonable person your fantasy is correct.

Faith is all you've got. Keep it to yourself, I have already rejected faith in favor of reason and fact.

You've abandoned your mind for dogma. Be content, the church likes your money too.

You should preach in Xtian forums where like minded sheep are willing to bleat along with your every musing. You might even get a enthusiastic 'Amen' err ba ba

Here is good example of this alleged 'love'... NO THANKS

"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26

Please take your superstitions elsewhere.
You are in the wrong forum.

SUGGESTION
You can redeem yourself and your faith.
You might even convert a atheist!
Jesus will give you a extra special harp or perhaps a Rolex.

If you expect to convince anyone of your faith you should be able to promptly answer these two simple questions.

If you cannot answer these, ask your clergy for assistance. Remember... they know the unknowable and can easily explain this... right?

1) Provide evidence your God is true in a way religions other than yours cannot do with their God.

2) Provide evidence your holy book is true in a way religions other than yours cannot do with their holy book.

"The arrogance is palpable.
And do you think that unto such as you;
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew:
God gave the secret, and denied it me?
Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too."
~Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#156484 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Let us consider:
In the beginning a rockdidit...
Interesting claim that requires absolute knowledge, which clearly you do not have...
Who's making that claim?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#156485 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Did that make sense before you hit "Enter"?

Only it doesn't now.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#156486 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth: Sometimes a head is really an ass.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156487 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say you love your parents.
Let's also say you assume that love is demonstrable.
Let's also say you "know it".
Prove it.
Actually, they can prove it. They can scan your brain and tell what you are feeling.{It is a bit more complicated than that, but I don't believe that I am qualified to explain it.}

That's how they know that Atheists' brains are not wired to be believers.

Now, why do you suppose a god would wire my brain in such a way that I would not believe in it?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156488 Feb 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did that make sense before you hit "Enter"?
Only it doesn't now.
He is a WAG troll puppet. He will say anything to get attention.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156489 Feb 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever existed.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The only real test of something is as what it is intended to be used for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bull and Boar - an 18th century Welsh tavern. 3 min Hatti_Hollerand 62
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min onemale 263,346
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Liam 554,528
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min It aint necessari... 763,304
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 7 min real 33,132
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min Lyndi 174,990
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 32 min Mandela 119,177
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 16 hr NATHAN 176

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE