Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#156270 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>HA HAHAHAHA, ROTFLMAO....Your total ignorance is startling!!!! You reach behind you, and pull shit out of your ass and fully expect people to think you know what you pulled out, too funny. Here, your stupidity for all to see...."They probably even has jazz and rock and roll styles." HA HA HA HA, demonstrated for al to see your complete lack of knowledge on the history of music. If your this stupid concerning the history of music what would make anyone think you know anything about history in general?
There you go again with your obvious problem with people with oversized egos. I do believe I detect some latent jealousy over anyone who has risen above the herd and contributed something to try and advance the art form. Is it because you are so emotionally sterile, have contributed nothing to humanity, observe from a distance those with creative minds?
"I dare say they had more than flutes and lyres to play" REALLY? Pulling more shit out of your ass? Show me some documentation on ancient instruments that shows there were more than just flutes and lyres. Pick your time in history,melts say before 2000 years ago. have at it. In the meantime, you might want to bone up on your music history as far as styles go. Start with the history of Jazz. Who knows you might even learn something about Americas ONLY true art form.
Appalachia would be a good place to start to see how people got creative and made their own music. Done all over the world.

You are stuck in a box. You think orchestras visited rural villages?

I am sure ancient Indian and Chinese had some sort of orchestral arrangements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_rock

If they do it now, they did it then.

Didn't you watch Ringo Starr in Cave Man?

Man does not have to wait to be trained by you to make his own music.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156271 Feb 24, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
if we are created from dust why is there dust left ?
If a Baker makes a cake, why is their flour left?

Obviously, the Baker didn’t need all the flour.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#156272 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, He has revealed Himself to humanity.
But humanity in general want to suppress that truth, so that they can continue to sin.
When, how and where did god reveal himself to humanity? Does he do it every few years so that everyone can experience it? How does this happen?

We'll wait.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#156273 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
They rely on.. God is real cause I said so! Lmfao!
<quoted text>
A Louisiana alligator, 10 feet long can bite your arm off.

Because I said so.

Lamar, CO

#156274 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>HA HAHAHAHA, ROTFLMAO....Your total ignorance is startling!!!! You reach behind you, and pull shit out of your ass and fully expect people to think you know what you pulled out, too funny. Here, your stupidity for all to see...."They probably even has jazz and rock and roll styles." HA HA HA HA, demonstrated for al to see your complete lack of knowledge on the history of music. If your this stupid concerning the history of music what would make anyone think you know anything about history in general?
There you go again with your obvious problem with people with oversized egos. I do believe I detect some latent jealousy over anyone who has risen above the herd and contributed something to try and advance the art form. Is it because you are so emotionally sterile, have contributed nothing to humanity, observe from a distance those with creative minds?
"I dare say they had more than flutes and lyres to play" REALLY? Pulling more shit out of your ass? Show me some documentation on ancient instruments that shows there were more than just flutes and lyres. Pick your time in history,melts say before 2000 years ago. have at it. In the meantime, you might want to bone up on your music history as far as styles go. Start with the history of Jazz. Who knows you might even learn something about Americas ONLY true art form.
For your listening enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Get some world music. The Global Meditation volumes 1-4 are good.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#156275 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So your evidence for the Big Bang, your direct empirical evidence, is what happened 1/2 a billion years later?
Thats like saying you witnessed the bank robbery because you were in the bank the next day...
Absurd.
That figure closes in on the actual event, and considering
we have seen over 12 billion years into the past it's a pretty good indication we know whats going on.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Northampton, MA

#156276 Feb 24, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
When, how and where did god reveal himself to humanity? Does he do it every few years so that everyone can experience it? How does this happen?
We'll wait.
We are reminded of this by the awesome forces of nature.

Puma Punku

Lamar, CO

#156277 Feb 24, 2013
A little removed from the older days, but I love this group.

Auralie ought to love this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfire_%28ban...

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#156278 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
A little removed from the older days, but I love this group.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OsXbDFf-PC4XX
Auralie ought to love this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfire_%28ban...
Not bad for the Rock-N-Rollers.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156279 Feb 24, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A Louisiana alligator, 10 feet long can bite your arm off.
Because I said so.
Then ask god to put it back on.

What do you mean that he won't do it!

Well, I can't fault you. It is an absolute truth that god will not replace a human limb! He cures unseen things much better than the seen things. It's just his absolute way have doing things.

Lamar, CO

#156280 Feb 24, 2013
A little observation on egos, notably the over developed kind.

It is like driving down a dark highway with your brights on. You can only see what your light shines on.

Education and other such training makes those lights brighter. It also make it harder to see the dark on the side. Your eyes adjust for that extra brightness.

You miss a lot, and assume a lot.

You get an educated and civilized person going into a more primitive, or educated and civilized in a different way, and they can develop a tendency to assume a higher station in life to these poor unfortunates that weren't educated their way.

Of course, they assume the locals can see such as a given. However, they have been doing pretty well their way for generations.

Some of them are nice and gracious by their customs. Others are eager to see what wealth they can get out them. They both smile. Up to a point anyhow. The problems come when the egos try to revamp the system they invaded.

It is very hard for a superego to see the world for what it is. It is even harder to see what lies beyond it. Anything they see will have to fit into their headlights.

Lamar, CO

#156281 Feb 24, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not bad for the Rock-N-Rollers.
Navajos are very interesting people. A language and number system way more complex than you would expect. Very sophisticated. Their roots go way back to something other than simple nomads.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Northampton, MA

#156282 Feb 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I can't fault you. It is an absolute truth that god will not replace a human limb! He cures unseen things much better than the seen things. It's just his absolute way have doing things.
It'd be nice if he start curing those giving into their homosexual tendencies but the brown decadent clown in the house has other ideas. He gives black people a bad name. A very bad name.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Northampton, MA

#156283 Feb 24, 2013
This govt has done away with the concept and vested interest of promoting the principles of morality anymore. You in part can thank many of the jew bastards for that since the opening of the federal reserve in 1913. Follyhood and the 60's sexual revolution.
Happy anniversary.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#156284 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
As an atheist, can you explain why art should be considered important?
Only a Theists could pose such a stupid question, absolutely stocking!! Explain what being an Atheists has to do with art. Do you think art is important and if so why? Do you feel that art in any form can only be considered important if religion is involved?

Art is one of the things that separates humans form the rest of the animals on the planet. Art is the result of an actively creative mind. Creativity is what has advanced our species in many different areas not just art. Science, medicine and the general understanding of the world in which we live. Creativity expands ones mind, moves you forward, opens doors you thought never exited. To create something, anything, that has never exited before, is more rewarding than you can imagine. No God or religion is necessary for any creative endeavors.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#156285 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Navajos are very interesting people. A language and number system way more complex than you would expect. Very sophisticated. Their roots go way back to something other than simple nomads.
It’s a shame we didn’t learn more of the Indian culture in School. I knew their language was so sophisticated, they used it in the military. I found that out after I was grown.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#156286 Feb 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I tell you what, I’ll make a deal with you. Let one of those gators tear your head clean off. And I’ll ask God to put it back on for you. The prayer would go like this:

“Lord if you have time, it’s a very low priority, put this Atheist head back on his body so we can bury his dumb a$$. If you don’t have time, no problem, we understand.”

Lamar, CO

#156287 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Only a Theists could pose such a stupid question, absolutely stocking!! Explain what being an Atheists has to do with art. Do you think art is important and if so why? Do you feel that art in any form can only be considered important if religion is involved?
Art is one of the things that separates humans form the rest of the animals on the planet. Art is the result of an actively creative mind. Creativity is what has advanced our species in many different areas not just art. Science, medicine and the general understanding of the world in which we live. Creativity expands ones mind, moves you forward, opens doors you thought never exited. To create something, anything, that has never exited before, is more rewarding than you can imagine. No God or religion is necessary for any creative endeavors.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/12/07/sy...

Take the time to watch the whole thing.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#156288 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank Ifield. I remember the song well.
You made some excellent points I was going to in that first paragraph, but would put them different.
Your "true" art is only appreciated by those trained in your school of "true" art.
That last song was commercial bullshit by "true" artists. The BS DJ's and record company artists.
Most people don't know what an arpeggio is, and don't care. They go by what stirs them, unless they have some effing expert telling them what they are supposed to like. What is currently "cool". Same goes with most "art".
You have art by induction, and you have real art that appeals naturally.
That is why people will prefer listening to Buckethead instead of your contrived and constricted method. It's natural.
BTW, this old hulk that has been floating on the ocean? That is because it is in tune with the ocean. It passed a message to me. The ocean would appreciate if it could find and tell that clown that toots his horn at the waves if he found someplace else, as it is disturbing the peace and tranquility of the residents thereof.
Get some Buckethead and develop some universal soul.
Soothsayer, of course, Aunt Suzie, and Look Up There for the singles,
The albums.
Colma. You will be forced to mellow out. No choice. It will flatten your ass.
Electric Tears, Electric Sea, and Shadows Between the Sky. You will be forced to reflect. No choice.
There is more, but the picking get slimmer because he does a variety of styles. Listen to them twice and you are hooked.
Oh, next trip out on the ocean. Play some Buckethead. Davy Jones loves it.
People prefer bucketed and other such trivial music because they are to lazy to expand their minds, to reach for the next level of musical literacy. I once taught a class in music appreciation. It was open to the general public and was attended by a wide variety of people. From those completely ignorant of any kinds of music, to solid rack and roll lovers, people who only listed to country music, and those who never really thought about music at all and just played it as background music. The transformation that occurred at the end of the 12 week session was astounding. Once people knew what to listen for, understood the principals that were being used, and more important,understood the history of the music, their interest skyrocketed. I had hard core rock fans weeping over a Puccini Opera, heavy metal fans with their jaws dropping as the heard the conclusion to Mahlers 8th symphony. Elderly women who suddenly understood Jazz. "Jazz always sounded like everybody warming up at the same time." But, when she understood the history, made the connection between form, harmony, and melodic phrasing, she could appreciate the music. She still didn't like listening to it, but she understood the music, she made an EDUCATED CHOICE.

People are inherently lazy when it comes to art, especially music, they, like you, listen peripherally, your what we cal "surface listeners" you only hear the obvious and just don't have the musical intellect to detect fine detail.

Humm, lets see, bucketed, or Symbiosis, and wonderful extended work by classical/Jazz composer Clause Olgerman that uses the great Bill Evans trio and a center piece....tough choice.....NOT REALLY!!!!!
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#156289 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank Ifield. I remember the song well.
You made some excellent points I was going to in that first paragraph, but would put them different.
Your "true" art is only appreciated by those trained in your school of "true" art.
That last song was commercial bullshit by "true" artists. The BS DJ's and record company artists.
Most people don't know what an arpeggio is, and don't care. They go by what stirs them, unless they have some effing expert telling them what they are supposed to like. What is currently "cool". Same goes with most "art".
You have art by induction, and you have real art that appeals naturally.
That is why people will prefer listening to Buckethead instead of your contrived and constricted method. It's natural.
BTW, this old hulk that has been floating on the ocean? That is because it is in tune with the ocean. It passed a message to me. The ocean would appreciate if it could find and tell that clown that toots his horn at the waves if he found someplace else, as it is disturbing the peace and tranquility of the residents thereof.
Get some Buckethead and develop some universal soul.
Soothsayer, of course, Aunt Suzie, and Look Up There for the singles,
The albums.
Colma. You will be forced to mellow out. No choice. It will flatten your ass.
Electric Tears, Electric Sea, and Shadows Between the Sky. You will be forced to reflect. No choice.
There is more, but the picking get slimmer because he does a variety of styles. Listen to them twice and you are hooked.
Oh, next trip out on the ocean. Play some Buckethead. Davy Jones loves it.
People prefer bucketed and other such trivial music because they are to lazy to expand their minds, to reach for the next level of musical literacy. I once taught a class in music appreciation. It was open to the general public and was attended by a wide variety of people. From those completely ignorant of any kinds of music, to solid rack and roll lovers, people who only listed to country music, and those who never really thought about music at all and just played it as background music. The transformation that occurred at the end of the 12 week session was astounding. Once people knew what to listen for, understood the principals that were being used, and more important,understood the history of the music, their interest skyrocketed. I had hard core rock fans weeping over a Puccini Opera, heavy metal fans with their jaws dropping as the heard the conclusion to Mahlers 8th symphony. Elderly women who suddenly understood Jazz. "Jazz always sounded like everybody warming up at the same time." But, when she understood the history, made the connection between form, harmony, and melodic phrasing, she could appreciate the music. She still didn't like listening to it, but she understood the music, she made an EDUCATED CHOICE.

People are inherently lazy when it comes to art, especially music, they, like you, listen peripherally, your what we cal "surface listeners" you only hear the obvious and just don't have the musical intellect to detect fine detail.

Humm, lets see, buckethead, or Symbiosis, and wonderful extended work by classical/Jazz composer Clause Olgerman that uses the great Bill Evans trio as a center piece....tough choice.....NOT REALLY!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Catcher1 104,947
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Ex Lesbian River 673,537
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 26 min bad bob 184,635
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr DrScience 981,421
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 286,297
Poll Bible - Written by Man - Edited by Man (Apr '09) 3 hr Jedi Master of All 1,933
Gay/bi Skype Sex ? (Mar '14) 4 hr Dom daddy for sub 21
More from around the web