Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,488)

Showing posts 149,741 - 149,760 of216,679
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This is silliness. I don't have to "assume" souls don't exist. You have no evidence that they do.
I gave you a perfectly reasonable argument.
- Various things that constitute 'you' are located in the brain.- When you die, the brain is destroyed.
- Therefore,'you' are destroyed.
Can you provide evidence for a mechanism by which 'you' are saved after death or not?
No, I cannot provide that evidence. I am not a scientist by any means.

But science hasn't ruled out the possibility of one day being able to detect our souls.

YOU cannot demonstrate that souls are non-existent, can you?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yours may have had a head start.
Ever copy a file over wireless?
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that process is well known.
Can you evidence the process by which a person's memory and personality are copied upon death?
That process was not well known 100 years ago.

People like would would likely discount it as "myth" or "legend".....

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
We may yet invent the possibility, but for now .
They do not exist.
We can't invent the possibility of having a soul.

Either we do or we don't.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

I just said he suffered a hallucination after he cut off his own fingers. He has obviously suffered irreversible brain damage from this.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You really enjoy the thought of someone going through pain.
It case you donít know. Sadism is outside the boundaries of what is considered normal.
From Wiki:
Sadism is the derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain, cruelty, degradation, or humiliation, or, watching such behaviors inflicted on others. Aspects of it include:

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
I just said he suffered a hallucination after he cut off his own fingers. He has obviously suffered irreversible brain damage from this.
<quoted text>
I think you like to see suffering and pain. You are the only one that keeps bringing up about this injury because the thought of someone else being in pain is like a feather tickling you in the ass.

Your sadist behavior is not normal. Iím trying to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I cannot provide that evidence. I am not a scientist by any means.
If there is no evidence of it, then my position that we are gone upon death is the most reasonable stance, right?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
YOU cannot demonstrate that souls are non-existent, can you?
No. I cannot demonstrate that I do not get a Karma Point for every time I said the word "Awesome" either. I also cannot demonstrate that we're not in The Matrix.

Ideas that are unfalsifiable generally aren't very useful.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing your belief.
Well, there is no doubt that decomposition happens after death. It is one of the signs of death, after all.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Seeing as how Dave has suffered irreversible damage to his brain is it any surprise he goes on these childish rants? During his NDE he had a vision of Jesus with magnets in each hand saying... These are the keys Dave you need string to bind it all together!
Dave replied.. You are real! Yes oh lord I shall carry on your magnet work! Can I have those magnets as proof I met you?
Jesus answered. No George Burns look alike for these magnets are closing the holes in my hands!
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
ďBrain damage,Ē here you go again being insensitive. There is nothing funny about brain damage. Itís insulting to families of those who have family members suffering from brain trauma due to accident or illness. Including many of our fine military who have been injured by IEDís.

That kind of talk is no longer acceptable. It went out in the late 70ís.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you like to see suffering and pain. You are the only one that keeps bringing up about this injury because the thought of someone else being in pain is like a feather tickling you in the ass.
Your sadist behavior is not normal. Iím trying to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.
Correction: Iím trying [not]to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Your worthless opinion has been duly noted Daffy. Yawn.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
That process was not well known 100 years ago.
People like would would likely discount it as "myth" or "legend".....
Why?

An engineer knowledgeable about computers could explain it to them and make references to existing technologies with similar principals like phonographs (recording of information) and radio (wireless transmission of information).

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends whose death it was.
If, say, the President dies, the VP becomes president.
If a husband dies, we have a widow.
There are lots of other possibilities, too.

Those are consequences of specific deaths.
Death in general just brings a change.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Refrigerated dirt?
hmmm.....
WTF are you trying to say here? This is a meaningless statement.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

We know many of you love nothing better than to insult but some insults go across the line of what is acceptable.

Calling someone ďbrain damaged,Ē is being so out of touch with the common populace. Both Atheist and Christians have friends and family members that have suffered some kind of brain trauma. Itís not a joking matter and shows insensitivity and disrespect to all people.

Fate has itís way of making it rounds and those of you who think brain trauma is funny. You just may get to experience it one day for yourself.

Donít be so disrespectful to the injured and suffering.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't invent the possibility of having a soul.
Either we do or we don't.
This is where you are wrong. It is within possibility, and may even become so. It is possible to save your thoughts, but to make your thoughts interactive after death. Of specifically to make them interactive after your death based on your decisions in life is within the possibility of modern science. It just hasn't been done yet.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/123485-mit...

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no evidence of it, then my position that we are gone upon death is the most reasonable stance, right?
Wrong. There are many things in this life and in this universe that we mere humans are unaware of. Just because there is no evidence of something doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
No. I cannot demonstrate that I do not get a Karma Point for every time I said the word "Awesome" either. I also cannot demonstrate that we're not in The Matrix.
Ideas that are unfalsifiable generally aren't very useful.
Since you can't demonstrate that souls neither exist or do not exist, why do you go by the assumption that they do not exist?

Is it because of evidence, or lack thereof?

Do you understand, or do you believe that science doesn't have the answer for everything right now?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there is no doubt that decomposition happens after death. It is one of the signs of death, after all.
That's it huh? You just turn off like a broken TV and get discarded? That is your assumption.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
An engineer knowledgeable about computers could explain it to them and make references to existing technologies with similar principals like phonographs (recording of information) and radio (wireless transmission of information).
Ha ha ha!

Do tell, what scientist 100 years ago new about wireless printing technology?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Then why can't you understand a soul, brain, or what have you can be translocated or transmuted to a different realm or medium?

Modern computer programs, the executables, can be copied across the universe. Pop them in a new machine, of even a different architecture if ported to it, and you can get the same thing, including all the saved data in it, and any new that may occur.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> WTF are you trying to say here? This is a meaningless statement.
Oh, here's a meaningless statement:

Atheists are smart.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 149,741 - 149,760 of216,679
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

571 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Double Fine 679,763
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min Sheilaa 109,502
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Dr_Zorderz 250,345
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 18 min Toby 89,495
Gay Snapchat Names 29 min Snapchat me 1,315
Esogoldsell.com: a competitive ESO gold and ESO... 48 min esogold 1
Tamriel: a great continent to explore 48 min esogold 1
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 49 min Josh 228
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 511,919