Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
149,721 - 149,740 of 226,341 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155785 Feb 22, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you like to see suffering and pain. You are the only one that keeps bringing up about this injury because the thought of someone else being in pain is like a feather tickling you in the ass.
Your sadist behavior is not normal. Iím trying to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.
Correction: Iím trying [not]to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#155786 Feb 22, 2013
Your worthless opinion has been duly noted Daffy. Yawn.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you like to see suffering and pain. You are the only one that keeps bringing up about this injury because the thought of someone else being in pain is like a feather tickling you in the ass.
Your sadist behavior is not normal. Iím trying to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155787 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
That process was not well known 100 years ago.
People like would would likely discount it as "myth" or "legend".....
Why?

An engineer knowledgeable about computers could explain it to them and make references to existing technologies with similar principals like phonographs (recording of information) and radio (wireless transmission of information).

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155788 Feb 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends whose death it was.
If, say, the President dies, the VP becomes president.
If a husband dies, we have a widow.
There are lots of other possibilities, too.

Those are consequences of specific deaths.
Death in general just brings a change.

Location hidden

#155789 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Refrigerated dirt?
hmmm.....
WTF are you trying to say here? This is a meaningless statement.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155790 Feb 22, 2013
We know many of you love nothing better than to insult but some insults go across the line of what is acceptable.

Calling someone ďbrain damaged,Ē is being so out of touch with the common populace. Both Atheist and Christians have friends and family members that have suffered some kind of brain trauma. Itís not a joking matter and shows insensitivity and disrespect to all people.

Fate has itís way of making it rounds and those of you who think brain trauma is funny. You just may get to experience it one day for yourself.

Donít be so disrespectful to the injured and suffering.

Location hidden

#155791 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't invent the possibility of having a soul.
Either we do or we don't.
This is where you are wrong. It is within possibility, and may even become so. It is possible to save your thoughts, but to make your thoughts interactive after death. Of specifically to make them interactive after your death based on your decisions in life is within the possibility of modern science. It just hasn't been done yet.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/123485-mit...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155792 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no evidence of it, then my position that we are gone upon death is the most reasonable stance, right?
Wrong. There are many things in this life and in this universe that we mere humans are unaware of. Just because there is no evidence of something doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
No. I cannot demonstrate that I do not get a Karma Point for every time I said the word "Awesome" either. I also cannot demonstrate that we're not in The Matrix.
Ideas that are unfalsifiable generally aren't very useful.
Since you can't demonstrate that souls neither exist or do not exist, why do you go by the assumption that they do not exist?

Is it because of evidence, or lack thereof?

Do you understand, or do you believe that science doesn't have the answer for everything right now?

Location hidden

#155793 Feb 22, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there is no doubt that decomposition happens after death. It is one of the signs of death, after all.
That's it huh? You just turn off like a broken TV and get discarded? That is your assumption.

Location hidden

#155794 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
An engineer knowledgeable about computers could explain it to them and make references to existing technologies with similar principals like phonographs (recording of information) and radio (wireless transmission of information).
Ha ha ha!

Do tell, what scientist 100 years ago new about wireless printing technology?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155795 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Then why can't you understand a soul, brain, or what have you can be translocated or transmuted to a different realm or medium?

Modern computer programs, the executables, can be copied across the universe. Pop them in a new machine, of even a different architecture if ported to it, and you can get the same thing, including all the saved data in it, and any new that may occur.

Location hidden

#155796 Feb 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> WTF are you trying to say here? This is a meaningless statement.
Oh, here's a meaningless statement:

Atheists are smart.

Location hidden

#155797 Feb 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where you are wrong. It is within possibility, and may even become so. It is possible to save your thoughts, but to make your thoughts interactive after death. Of specifically to make them interactive after your death based on your decisions in life is within the possibility of modern science. It just hasn't been done yet.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/123485-mit...
Souls are much more they our combined thoughts, they are our non-corporeal entity.

You think you can download it?

Location hidden

#155798 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Wrong.
How am I wrong? What position is MORE reasonable than mine?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Just because there is no evidence of something doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.
So? It is irrational to say that it DOES with no evidence.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Since you can't demonstrate that souls neither exist or do not exist, why do you go by the assumption that they do not exist?
Why do you go by the "assumption" that cars aren't powered by fairies? Why do you go by the "assumption" that your house isn't alive and mad at you for not vacuuming often enough?

Because you reject extraordinary claims that aren't supported, right?

Location hidden

#155799 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha!
Do tell, what scientist 100 years ago new about wireless printing technology?
You missed the point.

They would recognize it as plausible even if it didn't exist at the time.

Location hidden

#155800 Feb 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why can't you understand a soul, brain, or what have you can be translocated or transmuted to a different realm or medium?
I can understand the concept. There is no evidence that any such thing occurs.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155801 Feb 22, 2013
Hmmmm...

The difference between info, or most anything passed parallel and serial. Serial takes time, and has markers, such as dead space between expressions.

You can have a truck full of cows, but you have to unload them one at a time.

Location hidden

#155802 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
How am I wrong? What position is MORE reasonable than mine?

I guess none. You're the genius atheist....
So? It is irrational to say that it DOES with no evidence.
It's just as irrational as saying it DOESN'T exist with no evidence.

You keep missing that.
Why do you go by the "assumption" that cars aren't powered by fairies?
Because I know all about car engines, fairies aren't in them.(Except for the Prius)
Why do you go by the "assumption" that your house isn't alive and mad at you for not vacuuming often enough?
Because I know that wood, stucco, concrete, drywall, paint and glass are inanimate objects and cannot get angry.
Because you reject extraordinary claims that aren't supported, right?
No.

There's a difference between extraordinary claims and ridiculous extraordinary claims....

Location hidden

#155803 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point.
They would recognize it as plausible even if it didn't exist at the time.
It's doubtful that they could even comprehend it...

Location hidden

#155804 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I can understand the concept. There is no evidence that any such thing occurs.
But there is also no evidence that it doesn't occur!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min Aura Mytha 599,907
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min It aint necessari... 732,966
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min Strength and Honor 173,279
Last Word + 2 12 min Bev Jamison 502
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Robert F 538,948
China Sees Growth in a Web of Fast Trains (Feb '10) 16 min RayH 3
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 min WasteWater 257,996
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 1 hr Figaro 105
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••