Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155062 Feb 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Redneck doesn't like chess because the Queen is the most powerful piece on the board and the King can only move one space at a time unless he's Castled. That can only happen if the Queen moves out and takes her Knights and Bishops with her.
Ima chess master.

Besides, the King may be slow, but the Queen can die...

Ah sweet liberty.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155063 Feb 19, 2013
Poor humans and their illusions.

This existence right now is the most kickass virtual reality program you ever did play, It is so good you even think you are real.

At the end of the day, this is all that this existence can be.

Whether there will be saved characters or not is up to whoever created the program. Whether it is just a game or a production facility is also unknown to us. All we can do is enjoy the experience and see what happens next.

Your conscious "thinking" mind is the wild card in this scenario. This is your "free will".

Ever play a game or do most anything where you just kind of go on autopilot and everything goes well? From catching a fly ball to interacting with other people. You think too hard and you fuck up, you relax and it works.

The "conscious" mind is temporary, the "unconscious" mind behind it is eternal.

Location hidden

#155064 Feb 19, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
So it would take another couple hundred million years?
Give me a break.

Here, we know how to do it. Give us a bunch of money and big fat paychecks while we watch. If our modeling doesn't work in the first 100 million years, it might in the next. The probabilities say so. Our math doesn't lie.

That is true. Big fat paychecks add up over a 100 million years.

You can make extra income by selling snake oil, too.
bohart

Newport, TN

#155065 Feb 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Science does not support flies being created from nothing in corpses.
Which is the definition you are using from the 18th century when they thought it was so through spontaneous generation.
This has been explained to you, but you insist on saying it.
It only makes you look like a foolish troll.
Science supports the new meaning of the term, which is a chemical evolutionary origin of life.
Despite your denial and refusal to recognize it.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abio...
Ahh yes! the real theory of abiogenesis, why does it not work? and as usual theres no evidence that it ever did! faith is its engine.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#155066 Feb 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ima chess master.
Besides, the King may be slow, but the Queen can die...
Ah sweet liberty.
Only if she doesn't have a good hand.

Oh yeah, I cheat.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155067 Feb 19, 2013
6 foot 2, without the Guinness hat.
Leprechauns do have the best pot, but it's a bugger to find.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? How tall are you?
Is it true that leprechauns have the best pot?
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155068 Feb 19, 2013
No belief is growing faster.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, pal. Christianity is currently rising faster than the world's population.
Go fish.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#155069 Feb 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to confess I get a little peeved about your elitist "understanding math" routine.
I understand math very well. I do billions of calculations every second. As does 7 billion other people. Why we can drive to the gas station. It is built into us.
What is not built into us is the formalized training and indoctrination in a particular form dictated by someone long ago that you suffer from.
Have you noticed my tendency to couch physics in terms relating to motion and polarity? That is because they are the underpinnings of our physical existence. Not numbers. Numbers can be used to quantify some of their aspects, but they don't guide them, and even less so created them.
SMACK!!!!
Good God, man!! Snap out of it, you have been hypnotized!!
Wow.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#155070 Feb 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
6 foot 2, without the Guinness hat.
Leprechauns do have the best pot, but it's a bugger to find.
<quoted text>
I got the rainbow, dude.

We're a shoe in to win that pot.

Location hidden

#155071 Feb 19, 2013
What are some of man's oldest past times?

Play acting, games, and day dreaming.

What is the evolutionary need or pressure for such things?

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#155072 Feb 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
What are some of man's oldest past times?
Tell us.

Location hidden

#155073 Feb 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us.
I did, and I said some.

You have a dirty mind. When you gonna stop by?

Location hidden

#155074 Feb 19, 2013
Thinking creates a virtual reality of its own. The very act requires a projection of thought patterns and the logic within them. Our thinking is influenced and modified by reactions to those projections, an effect of a larger intertwined network.

We are born with a base pattern that gets modified. The base patterns are different, even before the process starts. This could be stored in the EM of genes, or it might not. It could be the projections of some minds created those genes.

There is an awful lot of relativity and quantum aspects of life, but relativity is the key. This is our base from which we explore. There is no way we can see the total from here, even as a collective of individual facets looking out and trying to discern what it all is. As Topix illustrates, there is too much noise to see through.

Or something like that.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155076 Feb 19, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh yes! the real theory of abiogenesis, why does it not work? and as usual theres no evidence that it ever did! faith is its engine.
Bring your creator god over and into the light where we can see it,
and I will concede. Until then all bets are off on exactly who will prove which theory is correct first.
BTW you had 3500 years and can't prove yours. Like poly said we been working on the real theory the last 50.

Location hidden

#155077 Feb 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Bring your creator god over and into the light where we can see it,
and I will concede. Until then all bets are off on exactly who will prove which theory is correct first.
BTW you had 3500 years and can't prove yours. Like poly said we been working on the real theory the last 50.
Just what would you do if Bible God did show up and said, I am here?

You read the book, you heard the stories.

Such would have to have a rather profound effect on your existence. No more mental masturbating about it. The real deal.

What would you do? What would you think then?
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155078 Feb 19, 2013
Good work!

I've always wanted to taste the rainbow of fruit flavours.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I got the rainbow, dude.
We're a shoe in to win that pot.

Location hidden

#155079 Feb 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if she doesn't have a good hand.
Oh yeah, I cheat.
Does your girlfriend know that?

Location hidden

#155080 Feb 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Good work!
I've always wanted to taste the rainbow of fruit flavours.
<quoted text>
There is no "u" in the word "flavor"......

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155081 Feb 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what would you do if Bible God did show up and said, I am here?
You read the book, you heard the stories.
Such would have to have a rather profound effect on your existence. No more mental masturbating about it. The real deal.
What would you do? What would you think then?
Of course I would see it and believe it, but careful how your prophesy says one will come and fool you.

I tend to think that is more likely than the real thing.
At any rate we haven't seen the prediction of either met yet now have we? The description is a bit unnerving though Dave.
If God comes back and as he passes all the dead rise up to follow him, will it be the Witch King Angmar or Sauron himself?

If the dead dig up and follow anyone, I'm loading my clips with zombie max ammo.

Location hidden

#155082 Feb 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I would see it and believe it, but careful how your prophesy says one will come and fool you.
I tend to think that is more likely than the real thing.
At any rate we haven't seen the prediction of either met yet now have we? The description is a bit unnerving though Dave.
If God comes back and as he passes all the dead rise up to follow him, will it be the Witch King Angmar or Sauron himself?
If the dead dig up and follow anyone, I'm loading my clips with zombie max ammo.
:-)

Tough talk.

Topix atheists all have the same weakness. They don't understand how this deity would work. They aren't "scientific" enough to read the book and see how it operates. They envision this huge figure in the sky, some sort of separate entity. Like Daddy was. Think more on the line of when part of Daddy met Mommy that resulted in you. A very subtle influence imparted through genes, perhaps.

You have portions of the Bible portraying this huge figure in the sky, which is rejected even by some theists, but for the most part you see things are done through men.

God doesn't move the mountain. He gets men and ants to do that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min Porkpie Hat 259,237
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min Buck Crick 738,859
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 54 min Rosa_Winkel 441,338
sex (May '13) 1 hr Lucky 74
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr JuDeLeTe15mins 118,226
Koe pakistani couple ya girl in sydney 2 hr Rainy clouds 1
I Am Not RACIST, But... 2 hr maid angela 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Epiphany2 601,032
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr hojo 542,147
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 17 hr Chlo-chan 149