Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154902 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Abiogenesis is where the evidence can be found of Godís existence to non believers.
Until the genesis of life is known. Atheist will be lacking the validation thatís needed to support their theory life can self start without a designer.
Itís encouraging to this poster in this modern era of science there is no answer. It remains unknown and I think it will remain unknown until eternity.
Good boy, WAG1! Stay in the gaps where your god can stand a chance!
Imhotep

United States

#154903 Feb 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a brief list of current religious conflicts:
http://funvax.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/curren...
Interesting link ;)

Religion divides.

It unites different groups into cults.
Each successive cult spawns anger at the others.

The Egyptian Book of the Dead is more entertaining than the Pentateuch Quran or Torah

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154905 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's keep it fair! How long has your religion been around? 2000 years. What did it take to last that long? Inquisitions and oppression.
How long has modern science been around? About 500 years and it has had to fight the church all the way.
<quoted text>
Not the dumbest statement that you have made, but it is close.
<quoted text>
Here's another runner up!
<quoted text>
Everyone does not follow.
<quoted text>
You're too much!
<quoted text>
Never said anything to the sort. If there is no evidence, then why waste time on nothing? Show us one bit of evidence that there is a god.
yawn

Want a cigarette?
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#154906 Feb 18, 2013
Is it uniform or random?

One of your sh!tter straw men.
Siro wrote:
So the atheists say that life came about because atoms somehow got together at random to form self repeating patterns uniformly at a random basis?
Whatever God haters.....
You know everything?
OK, explain this....The division of the sexes
Awaiting your diatribe,
Love Siro
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#154907 Feb 18, 2013
Sexual selection can beat asexual selection in the genetic arms race.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
So youre going to explain division of the sexes?

Location hidden

#154908 Feb 18, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/science/pro...

Cool. Let's start with Topix atheist brains. After that first couple of days this ought to really take off.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154910 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
yawn
Want a cigarette?
Great retort! Bloody brilliant!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154911 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02 /18/science/project-seeks-to-b uild-map-of-human-brain.html?h p&_r=0
Cool. Let's start with Topix atheist brains. After that first couple of days this ought to really take off.
I say, stop the studies and pray to god for understanding!
Oh dear

Madrid, Spain

#154912 Feb 18, 2013
Creationism is a fact.

How could evolution produce such stupidity?

Location hidden

#154913 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I say, stop the studies and pray to god for understanding!
A map of your brain would be like driving across Montana. Lots of space between points of interest. Good place for wind farms or billboards.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154914 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Quantum mechanics" is a mathematics attempt to interpret a process. It didn't create the universe.
What I have said about it is physics has started to worship the interpretation instead of the process or cause of such process. Your little fairy particles that drift in and out, and other magical thingies are a result of the worship of the math, and not true understanding of the process.
Such is evinced in your kneejerk quantummechaniscdidit.
No, quantum mechanics is a physical theory that uses math as its language. It hypothesizes about the processes and describes those processes mathematically. Furthermore, the use of mathematics means that the predictions can be tested and, if need be, the theory modified if it doesn't agree with reality. And *that* is how science is and should be done.

The math helps to understand the process. But, of course, you need to understand the math (and the physics) in order for it to be helpful.

No, quantum mechanics did not create the universe, but the universe *is* described by quantum mechanics, and the processes of the early universe require the mathematics to fully understand them. Without the precision of the math, the understanding is lessened, not increased.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#154916 Feb 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
The universe always was, and it did not need a god to create us.
You seem to be very sure of this.

Are you omniscient?

Location hidden

#154917 Feb 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> We have no other evidence, to rely on.
We can see nearly from the creation of the first stars till now.
There is nothing circular in this empirical observational and
recorded data. We can calculate using the Hubble constant and all other supportive data , nearly the precise moment of this universes creation. Plot its progression , to the creation of our own star and our solar system. We know how Earth formed and how( not exactly how life started) but how life started and progressed for the entire history of Earth.
What we do not see is an intervening skydaddy you so would love to present as the reason. There is nothing in our history that shows that to be so. Only your fanatical belief that the mythological and superstitious minds that deceived you are right in the book of historical fiction.
In short , you have been led around by your short sword.
What does hubble show, as far back as it can?

Fully formed Galaxies?

Are you claiming something earlier than that has been seen, I cannot see how you could, as there is no documented evidence of such that I am aware of.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154918 Feb 18, 2013
BibleGateway.com : A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions ...

Pick the one that suits your sect!

Over 100 versions of god's word? Shouldn't that give some of you a clue that something just isn't right?

Location hidden

#154919 Feb 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The physical laws of the universe did not exist until the universe cooled enough to allow them to exist.
The scale of temperature and pressures is not reproducible in any model, or does not make sense to the physical laws we are bound to.
It is like the extreme edges of quantum physics and what we know of
gasses at near absolute zero. They defy all reason, so at energy levels we cannot reproduce , we know very little.
There maybe another set of physical laws we are yet to understand at scales we cannot yet imagine.
So how did it form, if the physical laws were not there to form it with?

Your beliefs make no sense.

Location hidden

#154920 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, quantum mechanics is a physical theory that uses math as its language. It hypothesizes about the processes and describes those processes mathematically. Furthermore, the use of mathematics means that the predictions can be tested and, if need be, the theory modified if it doesn't agree with reality. And *that* is how science is and should be done.
The math helps to understand the process. But, of course, you need to understand the math (and the physics) in order for it to be helpful.
No, quantum mechanics did not create the universe, but the universe *is* described by quantum mechanics, and the processes of the early universe require the mathematics to fully understand them. Without the precision of the math, the understanding is lessened, not increased.
Did you read my post about the gallon of gas?

Why would you not make it to the station?

That is the difference between your empirical math formulas and reality. You are applying values to the overall universe you have no way of knowing the value of, and doing your calculations based upon those erroneous values. Then you work other formulas in to account for the mistakes, then more to correct those, and on and on. The next thing is you are in an infinite loop of incorrect logic.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154921 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Good boy, WAG1! Stay in the gaps where your god can stand a chance!
Your humor is like a square bowling ball, it's not getting the job done.

Location hidden

#154922 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read my post about the gallon of gas?
Why would you not make it to the station?
That is the difference between your empirical math formulas and reality. You are applying values to the overall universe you have no way of knowing the value of, and doing your calculations based upon those erroneous values. Then you work other formulas in to account for the mistakes, then more to correct those, and on and on. The next thing is you are in an infinite loop of incorrect logic.
I have to confess I get a little peeved about your elitist "understanding math" routine.

I understand math very well. I do billions of calculations every second. As does 7 billion other people. Why we can drive to the gas station. It is built into us.

What is not built into us is the formalized training and indoctrination in a particular form dictated by someone long ago that you suffer from.

Have you noticed my tendency to couch physics in terms relating to motion and polarity? That is because they are the underpinnings of our physical existence. Not numbers. Numbers can be used to quantify some of their aspects, but they don't guide them, and even less so created them.

SMACK!!!!

Good God, man!! Snap out of it, you have been hypnotized!!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154923 Feb 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What does hubble show, as far back as it can?
Fully formed Galaxies?
Are you claiming something earlier than that has been seen, I cannot see how you could, as there is no documented evidence of such that I am aware of.
Peering far back in distance, is seeing far back in time.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154924 Feb 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
I think you missed the point
Which religion or belief will the USA not tolerate?
We pander to many pseudo beliefs.
And... all religions are false.
That's because the USA is a tolerant country with tolerant people....

Your point?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Dave Nelson 775,495
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min hojo 559,587
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min Just Think 265,164
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 25 min duststorm 441,781
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 30 min Chris Clearwater 175,666
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 30 min pmscomputers 96,744
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 46 min YTubeHeadlines 605,035
More from around the web