Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Hyper Squid

San Francisco, CA

#154975 Feb 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide evidence that your God™ is the only true God™ in a way that Religions® other yours cannot do.
Provide evidence that your Holy Book© is true in a way that religions® other than yours cannot do.
What if there is a deity and you're worshipping the wrong one?
Checkmate!
You're dumb.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154976 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
No evidence? yeah I am sure.
Perhaps you can drown me with your vast evidence thats testable and repeatable.
If life didn't start from the primordial goo on its own, which science shows couldn't happen,then the whole starting point of the evolutionary theory is in peril.
I am not aware of the science community stating that life could not have started in the, "primordial goo". Could you share a link so that I can read up on it?

I know that you have been told many times, but I will tell you once more. The Theory of Evolution is about evolution, not about Abiogenesis.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154977 Feb 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
Lot's two virginal daughters get him drunk and each sleeps with him to "preserve seed" of their father. No disapproval of the drunkenness and incest is even hinted at.
That story is about incest & drunkedness and how to protect yourself against it happening to you.

It's strange that our society today has become much like the ancient society of Sodom...
Likewise, Jesus tells a parable about 10 virgins marrying the same groom on the same night. He utters not one word of condemnation about such an obscene situation, but rambles on and on about the lamps and the oil.
Matthew 25:1-13. Nowhere in that parable does it say the groom is marrying those 10 virgins. They are likely bridesmaids.

In fact, it doesn't even mention who the bride & groom are....

The parable is about preparedness, specifically regarding the 2nd coming of Jesus.
Damn - There goes the Xtian neighborhood again.
Too bad for you that your atheistic ego is in your way, you can't seem to learn.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154978 Feb 18, 2013
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-li...

They will probably encounter a few Topix atheist minds wandering around up there.

This blackness is something that has always intrigued me. You don't hear anything from astronauts about it. Black paper has about 2% reflectance. That should be even darker. Stars won't look the same, you don't have the filter or refraction of the atmosphere. Stars would have to be real pinpoints. That has to be a significant sensory experience, but you never hear about it. I can understand a certain stability inside capsules or suits that are lit, but to be out in the dark with no lights has to be a very weird feeling.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154979 Feb 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide evidence that your God™ is the only true God™ in a way that Religions® other yours cannot do.
Provide evidence that your Holy Book© is true in a way that religions® other than yours cannot do.
What if there is a deity and you're worshipping the wrong one?
Checkmate!
In order to have a checkmate, you must have a winning hand.

IOW - put up or shut up.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154980 Feb 18, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Good word salad sentences, Dave. Maybe the best of the day.
KUDOS.
You like that, huh?

And not once would you find hard on that post.

Got you excited there, eh?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154981 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't expect you to follow. Too many words.
The problem with your story is that this isn't The Flintstones...

This is real life.

Cute story, tough.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154982 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not aware of the science community stating that life could not have started in the, "primordial goo". Could you share a link so that I can read up on it?
I know that you have been told many times, but I will tell you once more. The Theory of Evolution is about evolution, not about Abiogenesis.
Abiogenesis is just a technical term for spontaneous generation.

Evolution, or The Theory Of, is hinged on spontaneous generation.

Without it, Darwin's version of evolution has nothing.
Imhotep

United States

#154983 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The power of prayers. You hear from the Topix atheists mocking that a lot.
Let me tell you about a time in our history. It was a time where the only real translation of theoretical physics was turned into technology.
Scientists created nifty things that could turn millions into toast in seconds. If you were a child of the 50's and early 60's you know what I am talking about.
Every night millions of little children and their parents prayed they wouldn't be toast come breakfast time, especially in this country.
The scientists? They lived the good life designing bigger and better toasters, and ways to deliver them. They had no way to protect against them, or to undo the lasting effects they would produce.
They certainly weren't the reason we survived that time.
Fifty years ago last November the efforts and contributions of those scientists to humankind almost bore fruit.
"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
bohart

White Pine, TN

#154984 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. There is no non-material 'activation' required. The chemical affinities of the atoms and they way they interact with light (for photosynthesis) are enough activation.
<quoted text>
No, again, it is not 'beyond science'. Science has been studying the details for the last 60 years or so. The 'activation' of life, if you will, comes from the light from the sun driving photosynthesis. That directly drives plant life and is what produces the oxygen that provides the chemical potential for animal life (including humans). The only exceptions are some bacteria at deep sea vents that get their driving potential from the sulfur in the vents.
<quoted text>
Except that we *know* that life is a chemical process and we know that the chemicals for that process are easily produced naturally in environments similar to the early earth.
I don't know whats worse ,an intelligent guy like you telling all those lies ,or just the total amount of denial in that post.

The activation of life if you will comes from the light from the sun driving photosynthesis?

Atoms and the way they interact with light are enough activation!

Neo wake up! this is Morpheous, you are in the matrix ! come out of the rabbit hole back to reality.

Perhaps you can send that theory into the Scientific American, I'm sure thay have a comic strip in the back.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#154985 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not aware of the science community stating that life could not have started in the, "primordial goo". Could you share a link so that I can read up on it?
I know that you have been told many times, but I will tell you once more. The Theory of Evolution is about evolution, not about Abiogenesis.
Perhaps you've heard of sciences objection to the goo, Biogenesis, do a wikipedia on it .After that do a little study and find out how many exceptions to this law have been observed.

Since the theories beginnings are wrong , it's conclusions can't be right,...well, only to the faithful.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154986 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is just a technical term for spontaneous generation.
Evolution, or The Theory Of, is hinged on spontaneous generation.
Without it, Darwin's version of evolution has nothing.
Nope.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154987 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know whats worse ,an intelligent guy like you telling all those lies ,or just the total amount of denial in that post.
The activation of life if you will comes from the light from the sun driving photosynthesis?
Atoms and the way they interact with light are enough activation!
Neo wake up! this is Morpheous, you are in the matrix ! come out of the rabbit hole back to reality.
Perhaps you can send that theory into the Scientific American, I'm sure thay have a comic strip in the back.
I love how Polymath spends so much time explaining things to you and all you can do to refute is this?
Imhotep

United States

#154988 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That story is about incest & drunkedness and how to protect yourself against it happening to you.
It's strange that our society today has become much like the ancient society of Sodom...
<quoted text>
Matthew 25:1-13. Nowhere in that parable does it say the groom is marrying those 10 virgins. They are likely bridesmaids.
In fact, it doesn't even mention who the bride & groom are....
The parable is about preparedness, specifically regarding the 2nd coming of Jesus.
<quoted text>
Too bad for you that your atheistic ego is in your way, you can't seem to learn.
Too bad you must make excuses for the inexcusable. Regrettable.

Into what context do you excuse incest, child murder, rape and slavery?

We can discuss the talking animals and reptiles later while babbling in the Tower of err... Towering in the babble... of organized superstition aka religion.

Other non believers may select a more rigorous mental workout - I credit this daily infusion of Christian nonsense with extending my lifespan and providing a good laugh.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154989 Feb 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
We had a workshop out in the back yard with a flat tin roof when I was growing up. One night the dog barked and wanted out the back. I opened the door and let him loose and turned on the light. On top of the tin roof was 8 to ten cats just sitting. A couple or three more on a rubber tree branch overhanging one corner of the roof, and a couple or three more on a step ladder and other high things about that building. They were having a meeting.

I walked out there and looked up at them and they just looked back at me, and my German Shepard. I told them to leave. They didn't. They just looked down at me and at each other. I looked down at my dog and he was just looking kind of bumfuzzled. He had stopped barking after I let him loose. So I said, Hokay, and me and the dog went back into the house and they went back to their business.

Animals can get strange every so often.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154990 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you've heard of sciences objection to the goo, Biogenesis, do a wikipedia on it .After that do a little study and find out how many exceptions to this law have been observed.
Since the theories beginnings are wrong , it's conclusions can't be right,...well, only to the faithful.
I see nothing since 1864. Now you look up Abiogenesis. Science is self-correcting.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#154991 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how Polymath spends so much time explaining things to you and all you can do to refute is this?
perhaps you can take up his flag and explain how light activated the first atoms to cause life?
Imhotep

United States

#154992 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to have a checkmate, you must have a winning hand.
IOW - put up or shut up.
We do have the wining hand.

Do you not read? Living in a cocoon?

Is religion losing its grip on the educated?
Are attendance numbers dropping?
If course it is... And yes they are.

It's in the numbers and they don't add like 1+1+1=1.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million

“Reason and faith are opposites, two mutually exclusive terms: there is no reconciliation or common ground. Faith is belief without, or in spite of, reason.”~George H. Smith

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154993 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
perhaps you can take up his flag and explain how light activated the first atoms to cause life?
How many ways can I say, "We {including you} don't know."?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154994 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is just a technical term for spontaneous generation.
Evolution, or The Theory Of, is hinged on spontaneous generation.
Without it, Darwin's version of evolution has nothing.
Wrong. The evidence that species change over geological time (i.e, evolution) is not dependent on abiogenesis. Even *if* life were started by the intervention of a deity, the evidence for evolution is still solid and shows that species do, in fact, change over time. It also shows the relatedness of all life on earth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min 72 names 987,310
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 13 min River Tam 31,087
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min PadMark 687,291
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 1 hr Johnny 25
My "thorn in the flesh" God won't fix....this s... 1 hr Satan 5
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Hang em high 286,561
Whose fault was it that O.J. Simpson beat murde... (Mar '16) 1 hr Johnny 49
More from around the web