Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243128 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154410 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya but I'm not Jesus. And Jesus didn't die, so.....
Keep tellin' yourself that, cupcake.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154411 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not!
Some christians would disagree with you.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154412 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That depends on who's paying for it.
If a citizen pays maybe $500-$2000, you can bet the government is "paying" $10,000.....
Do you vote republican?

I forget.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#154413 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't die?!?!? Then what did he sacrifice?
Your mythology has more twists and turns than any other that I have studied!
<Christian>"It's metaphorically and allegorically hyperbolical simile and rarely literal..."

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154414 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
But jesus had to die for us to be forgiven. god planned it that way and someone had to kill jesus for the rest of us to have a chance.
You sure don't know much about your mythology, do you?
That's why Jesus said Pilate had no real power.

The essential message of Jesus was you had eternal life if you believed it. He was the ultimate spirit guide to a different realm of existence. Instead of a faceless Creator people could never really get a handle on, the creative force put a face on a fellow human. Kind of an idol worship, something that man had a hard time getting past due to his material construction. Maybe the Creator kind of gave up, or realized the error he made in construction. You don't want to believe so, but your atheism is also built upon that material constraint as evinced by your perception of gods and how people worship. There is an intellectual aspect to that, a rising above a strictly active/reactive physical thing, but you are only halfway there in understanding.

Your intellectual concepts are from looking at the stars, not from looking between and beyond them.

There is always something over the next hill.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154415 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof Atheist need can be found “In the beginning.”
That’s the mystery that you need to resolve. It’s not in the theory of evolution but how everything started.
Self starting and self creation of life in the beginning is not possible. The reason I say that it has never been done by scientist, ever. It has not occurred on Mars.
This Earth is so unique we have founding nothing like it in the solar system that is remotely close to where we live. Scientist don’t have a clue if there is life elsewhere.
I tend to believe there is life elsewhere but like the Earth they had a designer or life architect. The bible does talk of a new heaven and a new Earth.
We have yet to develop self sustaining fusion, yet we know it happens.

Our sun is but one example.

Does that mean fusion is not possible?

Hopefully you see the absurdity there.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154416 Feb 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
I recall Rick Perry's urging fellow Texans to three days of prayer to alleviate the 2011 drought. All those people locked in prayer, pleading with god for much needed rain and they received - nothing. I wonder how many people thought this will show the world that god does indeed exist? Bet there was a lot of head scratching and doubt after that debacle.
And you know what those idiots forgot? That praying for rain is ineffective. They should know that God doesn't answer prayer that way.

You are stuck in a drought.
You pray to God for it to rain.
Instead God offers you knowledge of how to live through a drought or move to an area where there is no drought.

Those people ignored God's knowledge.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154417 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you vote republican?
I forget.
Yes.

You?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154418 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Jesus didn't die?!?!? Then what did he sacrifice?
No, He didn't die.

That's why we can still pray to Him.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154419 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep tellin' yourself that, cupcake.
Careful with the pet names, Dave might start hittin on you....

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154420 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't die?!?!? Then what did he sacrifice?
Your mythology has more twists and turns than any other that I have studied!
Here, let me help -- their deity turned himself human just so he could pretend to sacrifice himself to himself so that he could forgive his creations of the wrath of himself.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154421 Feb 15, 2013
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22597511/di...

The things you have to deal with in life.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154422 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
We have yet to develop self sustaining fusion, yet we know it happens.
Our sun is but one example.
God is able to develop that.

Oh, I mean nature.....

Because humans can't do it, it HAS TO be able to happen naturally.....
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#154423 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know what those idiots forgot? That praying for rain is ineffective. They should know that God doesn't answer prayer that way.
You are stuck in a drought.
You pray to God for it to rain.
Instead God offers you knowledge of how to live through a drought or move to an area where there is no drought.
Those people ignored God's knowledge.
Why wouldn't he answer prayer that way? He could have ended the drought and showed that, yes, miracles do actually happen. A win-win situation all the way around. Instead, he gives tips on how to survive the drought? My god doth commandeth me to run through the sprinkler... Typical christian cop-out.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154424 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
You?
No.

Who do you think profits from your, and my, tax dollars paying $10,000 for an assault weapon?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154425 Feb 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't he answer prayer that way? He could have ended the drought and showed that, yes, miracles do actually happen. A win-win situation all the way around. Instead, he gives tips on how to survive the drought? My god doth commandeth me to run through the sprinkler... Typical christian cop-out.
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.

That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....

Where would humanity be if God fixed all of our problems for us?

We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.

That ain't what God wants for us.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154426 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Who do you think profits from your, and my, tax dollars paying $10,000 for an assault weapon?
Crooked politicians.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154427 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.
That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....
Where would humanity be if God fixed all of our problems for us?
We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.
That ain't what God wants for us.
My irony meter just broke.

You just described a deity who appreciates skeptical scientific thinking more than belief on blind faith.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#154428 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.
That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....
Where would humanity be if God fixed all of our problems for us?
We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.
That ain't what God wants for us.
You say this, and yet if it had rained during those three days of prayer, you'd be throwing your hat in the air along with hundreds of thousand of believers declaring that god answered their prayers by providing a miracle. Don't tell me you wouldn't.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154429 Feb 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You say this, and yet if it had rained during those three days of prayer, you'd be throwing your hat in the air along with hundreds of thousand of believers declaring that god answered their prayers by providing a miracle. Don't tell me you wouldn't.
I wouldn't.

Because I know God doesn't work like that.

He allows us free will, if He started interfering with our day to day lives, no more fee will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Gods r Delusions ... 595,879
The Christian Atheist debate 10 min -Alan S Shole- 746
White Lives MATTER 10 min Poov 5
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 11 min juts fooky 444,116
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min -Alan S Shole- 853,698
Sex with demon possessed doll 32 min Burt Wagner 42
Will the world end in the middle of 2016? 39 min andet1987 16
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 53 min Marvelous Marve 100,698
More from around the web