Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154256 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:

If an Atheist is responsible for mass murder itís perfectly fine according to Atheist.[position X]
If itís someone masquerading as a Christian then itís horrendous. This is why they never mention these Atheist Leaders you mentioned. Theyíre ok with it.
wilderide wrote:
Straw man arguments like that just show the poverty of facts [position Y] on your side.
Person A (Eagle) has position X.
Person B (wilde) presents position Y.
Person B attacks position X.
Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed....

You are the one making the straw man fallacy, Wilde.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154257 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, the "theory" of intelligent design is nothing more than a hypothesis.
And its only "evidence" is that we haven't figured out exactly how life started yet.
Evolution doesn't even address abiogenesis, but you've already been told this a thousand times, so I don't expect you'll ever get it.
You are on the retarded side, aren't you?

Find me a computer that wasn't made by man. Find me a Philips No. 2 screwdriver that wasn't made by man.

Maybe could haves don't cut it, poopsie.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154258 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
And its only "evidence" is that we haven't figured out exactly how life started yet.
HA HA HA!!!!

Can you explain how the human eye could've randomly evolved from a single celled organism.

(Just the eye is fine)
Evolution doesn't even address abiogenesis
Yes it does. I've showed you that a hundred times...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154259 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
All life is evidence of abiogenesis. Only the process isn't known.
Oh boy.... Didn't you JUST ridicule ID as being only a hypothesis? And now you defend abiogenesis as if its fact?!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#154260 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two types of Topix atheist. Generically speaking.
There is only one type of Dave Nelson. Geriatrically speaking.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154261 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
All life is evidence of abiogenesis. Only the process isn't known.
HA!

Check it out:

All life is evidence of intelligent design. Only the process isn't known.

Location hidden

#154262 Feb 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you like to know?
Why are magnets magnetic?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154263 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, the "theory" of intelligent design is nothing more than a hypothesis.
Evolution doesn't even address abiogenesis, but you've already been told this a thousand times, so I don't expect you'll ever get it.
The proof Atheist need can be found ďIn the beginning.Ē

Thatís the mystery that you need to resolve. Itís not in the theory of evolution but how everything started.

Self starting and self creation of life in the beginning is not possible. The reason I say that it has never been done by scientist, ever. It has not occurred on Mars.

This Earth is so unique we have founding nothing like it in the solar system that is remotely close to where we live. Scientist donít have a clue if there is life elsewhere.

I tend to believe there is life elsewhere but like the Earth they had a designer or life architect. The bible does talk of a new heaven and a new Earth.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154264 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They could be, but they're not.
As long as idiots like you and buck and Dave refuse to acknowledge the existing evidence of evolution, religion will remain the enemy of science.
Eh?

I acknowledge the *existing* evidence of evolution. But it's so full of holes, patches & guesswork, we can't call ToE fact.

It is a fact life organic life forms can evolve.

It is not fact that all organic life has evolved from a single common ancestor (or even multiple common ancestors).

That's the bullshit you've been fed, digested, but haven't shut back out yet. You'd just live it if people like Buck, Dave & I would just follow along & play sheep with you mindless morons.

Do NOT call yourself a freethinker, Aero.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154265 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
When somebody advocates putting the Ten Commandments of Casper in a school or government building, I'll be all over them. So far, it hasn't been a big problem.
When Casper helps to form the most powerful, happiest & prosperous country in history - then you might just enjoy the Casper Commandments every now & then....

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154266 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Life on Earth originated and then evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
Sounds like evolution's theory is dependant on the origin of life...
Life being on this planet is dependent on the origin of life. Duh. The question is, was it through biochemical interactions or supernatural magic.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154267 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"when" we find life on Mars?
You are no skeptic. You are no free-thinker. You're indoctrinated.
I didn't say we would. I asked what your reaction would be. So, show us you have such an open mind. What would your reaction be assuming we actually did find clear evidence that there has been life on Mars?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154268 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the blind one.
That post is proof of that.
I'm an optimist.

You're apparently a pessimist.

I like to believe that Americans are indivisible. We are ONE nation, ONE people & most of us have the same goal in life - to be happy, healthy & worry free.

But go on, keep fighting the good fight to separate us as much as you can.

Be a good little sheep atheist.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#154269 Feb 14, 2013
Moist is a good word.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154270 Feb 14, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you guy(s) got us! Atheism is a religion. We have faith that there is no god. You guy(s) are so smart.
Lookie here, folks.

An honest atheist.

**checks the sky for flying pigs**

Location hidden

#154271 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
We are everywhere, sweetness.

Gee, it's raining outside. Pretty rare here anymore.

No wonder my bones are aching.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154272 Feb 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Actually evolution is a fact...and a theory.
But since we quit naming facts laws , there is no law of evolution.
But scientifically there's no difference between from Newtons second and the observed fact of biological evolution.
Don't confuse the sheep.

That biota on this planet changes over time is a fact. Our current understanding of the mechanisms that drive this change is a theory.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154273 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
he

hehehe

HA HA HA HA !!!!

(gotsta give credit where credits due)

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154274 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are no doubt an intelligent man. Why does it bother you that Christians and others choose to live free and believe in religious freedom?
What do you hope to accomplish here?
You have the right to believe how you want and we want you to have that freedom.
Yet you seem to be bothered that we are enjoying the same air your breath.
Christianity is not imposing upon you. No one is making you do anything. Actually Atheism has done more for Christianity than you can image. By enforcing separation from Church and State. Other non Christian faiths are prevented from gaining a foothold in our governments and schools. That Sir is a blessing in disguise.
Now if we could get the schools to throw out the occult and Greek Mythology we would be doing much better.
I, and probably most atheists, don't really care what most theists believe.

We care about actions they take premised on those beliefs. When 19 theists, inspired by their belief in god and their interpretation of how god wants them to behave, murder over 3,000 people by flying planes into tall buildings, atheists care about what theists believe. When theists insist on having myths taught in school as science, atheists care about what theists believe. When Muslims treat women like property, engage in honor killings, prevent women from getting educations, and generally limit their ability to achieve their full human potential, atheists care. When Christians try to prevent women who may or may not share their religion from deciding whether to have a child, and even want to prevent women from having access to contraceptives, atheists care. When the religious state of Israel and the theocratic state of Iran threaten mass destruction because of their beliefs, atheists care. When theists insist on public prayer being included in non-religious activities, atheists care. When theists insist on having the government enforce their religious dogma as laws applicable to all, or demand government endorsement of religion, atheists care.

BUT, when theists gather in their churches to pray, atheists don't care. When theists pray before meals in their own homes, atheists don't care. When theists pray silently to themselves in school, atheists don't care. When Theists raise their own money to build new churches, atheists don't care. When theists erect nativity scenes on private property, without public funds, atheists don't care. When theists go door to door to pass out religious literature, atheists don't care. When theists erect billboards with religious messages on them, atheists don't care.

BUT, while atheists respect your right to believe what you want, and practice your religion freely, we do not feel bound to respect the actual absurdities you believe, any more than you do the beliefs of followers of other religions, and we retain our own free speech rights to laugh at you. When you come here and post the 1,000,000th iteration of Pascal's Wager, thinking it is some profound new insight you just thought up, we reserve the right to howl in derision, roll our eyes, or simply point out all the holes in your logic (or all three).

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154275 Feb 14, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hedonist , saw where you were talking about the standard of science being met, and if you don't its the same as voodoo. Lets talk abiogenesis, it doesn't have a testable hypothesis and it isn't repeatable, therefore according to science its as provable as voodoo...But of course you could still believe in it.
Who said I do?

"Belief" isn't even the right term for science. "Confidence" would be more accurate.

I have confidence in science is direct proportion to the amount of available independently verifiable evidence there is to support a given scientific position.

As far as abiogenesis is concerned, we have a long way to go to say there is a high level of confidence in any particular working hypothesis, but every working hypothesis has a thousand percent more evidence that any supernatural magic explanation, since magic has 0 available evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Tide with Beach 773,249
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min confrinting with ... 558,735
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min Johnny 4,663
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Rick in Kansas 264,952
free phones 14 min vcsy 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 28 min Lyndi 175,497
anyone up for a bbm swap of pics ;) (May '12) 31 min ben1979 358
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 45 min Peace_Warrior 604,735
More from around the web