Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
147,961 - 147,980 of 224,655 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Afa-e9aT1-0
Buckethead on bass.
Be nice if he was actually playing something instead of slapping meaninglessly.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Atheism belief I must bet it all in one life.
ďIĒ represents Atheist.
I must be a raging as*hole.
I must be angry all the time.
I must deny Christians their civil rights.
I must be a member of the communist party.
I must not give to the United Way.
I must not give to charity.
I must not be kind to others.
I must always think about me.
I must be rude and crude.
I must be mean to children.
I must not have any morals.
I must be deviant.
I must twist the truth.
I must destroy the truth.
I must encourage hate.
I must blame everything on Christians.
I must lie.
I must cheat.
I must steal.
I must beat the neighbors dog.
I must be disrespectful.
I must believe religion is the source of all evil.
I must be evil and wretched.
What are the odds? 1 in 80 million Atheist donít adhere to the above?
Okay, ya got me. In my defense, I don't beat the neighbor's dog.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk... ;)
Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
My favorite top 10, good job. From Sam Harris, I love it...."If you saw my muttering some words over my pancakes in the morning, thinking that they would change into the body of Elvis, you'd call me insane. But if I do the same thing over a cracker, I'm just a Catholic."
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím going to take up for those military musicians. They provide a service to their country. Not everyone can do what they do and they have a history going back into the American Revolution. Musicians were no sissies but played a vital role in military battlefields.
Today their role is no less than it ever has. Thank you Doctor for your service you provided to your country.[Salute]
At the time I was young and thought actually fighting was the right thing to do. In retrospect, I could have joined a military band for the duration of my service. Although I had some very good friends who were killed in the Nam and were in a band. Marching down a road to pay some major off his chopper when they stepped on a mine, it wiped out the first two row, mostly trombone players.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sober yet?
I'm going to speak real slow. See if you can keep up and understand what I am explaining.
I posted that animated link demonstrating what a barycenter is. It was a large circle being orbited by a smalll circle, representing two bodies of mass which then wobbled due to them orbiting the center of gravity between them. They are the same mass, but portions separated by distance. Keep in mind that is a most significant aspect of the whole phenomenon of existence, but I will not try to explain it now.
This distance between sections of mass creates that center of mass that both bodies spin about. This is where the "attractive forces" of each cancel each other out and they become one, so to speak, to other distant bodies, which are all parts of the same original mass. To a third object, you have a gravitational force between it and those two separately, however the orbiting varies it on a periodic basis. But the barycenter is more stable because it is in the middle. But as the gravity force pulls everything closer together, these distances close, thus increasing the cumulative force in all relationships. The barycenter moves closer as the periodic variation of the orbiting bodies does too.
This happens on the atomic scale. This is how gravity becomes additive with mass. However, you have other forces at work keeping them from colliding, such as the EM skin. You wind up with a ball of matter compressed as tight as it can be without going nuclear. Fusion, fission, etc. All from this relatively close contact between mass particles. This is a 3D process, happening in all directions except the surface, where it is down, sideways, with the potential of acting on far distant objects upwards.
You can call that earth if you wish.
You have other bodies formed from the same process scattered around the universe. Like asteroids, planets, stars, etc. They have this same surface potential as the earth, but due to distance, this potential is felt only from the direction those objects face each other, and a cross sectional factor is introduced because of the sizes of the bodies involved. The gravitational attraction is more like a beam now than the all encompassing activity of the ball that formed from roughly the same process on the aomic scale.
As creatures formed on the surface of this ball, their molecular construction was guided by the relatively strong force of this ball, which as I mentioned works downward and sideways. All of the gravity beneath your feet are beams similar to between those distant objects, but it is concentrated and magnified because of that 3D action of those barycenters. All of the ground you see below the horizon on this ball is also working on you. When you leave the planet, you are existing and being continually rebuilt outside the design you were created in. This is a relatively slow process, but essentially foreign and incomplete materials are now being manufactured by your body for replenishment. Your body has to have the existing gravity field and signature to manufacture the products needed. It doesn't magically produce that from within. Those beams from space are insufficent not so much because they are beams, after all, some are strong enough to hold this solar sytme in orbit, but in the local redistribution. The angles it works from. You will run into the same problem with centrifuges because they are very directional.
Until you can unify gravity and EM, which can be done, you don't want to leave far from home for very long. It will be a one way trip.
Yawn, all that to explain to me why you're off balance and out of this world? You could have just said ya dizzy.

But we already knew that Dave :)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the big deal?
Why are you always on Eagle's ass about grammar?
For some reason, I feel a responsibility to help the poor slob.

Hey, do you think somebody has earned the Dorner Million? If so, who?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're, not your.
Your grammar is absolutely atrocious.
You're embarrassing.
Try to figure out the difference, PLEASE !!
"You're, not your."

That sentence didn't make a bit of sense. Shouldn't that be it is you're, not your?

Why the space after PLEASE?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"You're, not your."
That sentence didn't make a bit of sense. Shouldn't that be it is you're, not your?
Aha, very good.

I placed a space after please to give a bit more stress to the exclamation points.

Otherwise, they were a bit lost, adjoining the last letter of please in capital letters.

Good catch!

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly, it would not surprise me if the tele-evangelists were closet atheists, laughing all the way to the bank! You can ordain yourself. Tax free.
True believers would not extort money for Jesus - it would be damnation of the highest order..
Billy Graham got to better parties by shrewdly moving from fundamentalism to evangelicalism.
"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven." Ė Matthew 19.23.
<sigh>
Amen, and Amen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Be nice if he was actually playing something instead of slapping meaninglessly.
Tsk.

If you can get something out of some of that stuff you think is good, you can certainly get something out of that. We spoke about the Topix atheist ability to create their own reality.

I must confess I am having a hard time understanding how a trumpet player can be a music critic. They are notorious for blowing hot air and making noise. Something all brass instruments entail. It takes woodwinds, flutes, and stringed instruments to elicit emotions from other human beings. Non-Italian opera voices, also. Bells can be very good, too. I love the celesta.

I thought brass bands were created solely for the purpose of providing employment for blowhards after high school.

One can not be a trumpet player and have the sensitivity to impart true emotion into their renderings. Or to have those imparted to them.

Ever hear The Apricot Tree by Djanov Gasparyan? Armenian duduk. Very soulful. Have it played at your funeral. Everyone will cry, even those that didn't know you. And perhaps some of those that did.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Atheists are fighting against something they don't believe exists. It's like writing blogs against Caspar the Friendly Ghost or Bilbo Baggins. Why would you bother?
2. Atheists spend more time writing on Christian blogs than they do on their own. Just more gas on a nonexistent fire.
3. Atheists love to act intellectual until you catch them doing something illogical and then they scream profanities cause that's really intellectual.
4. Atheists have the word theist in their name. Every time they say who they are they call attention to God.
5. Atheist condemn all that's wrong with Christianity and yet can not produce one work of art, literature or sacrificial deed done in the name of atheism. Even they realize it's not worth dying for.
6. Atheists only believe in what their senses tell them unless its Darwin telling them things that happened billions of years ago, then they have more faith than a Catholic at First Communion.
7. Atheists believe in science unless the scientist believe in God, then they denounce the scientist and call him a moron.
8. Atheists believe in their fellow man, unless their fellow man believes in God then they denounce their fellow man and call him a moron.
9. Atheists believe in the great atheists of the past like Andrew Flew unless they change their mind and become theists then they denounce them and call them morons.
10. Atheists don't believe in morons unless they are atheists and then they embrace them and call them intellectuals.
If anyone has ever hit the nail on the head you certainly have.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it was a "Combo."
Pizza pretzel? I like cheese pretzel.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aha, very good.
I placed a space after please to give a bit more stress to the exclamation points.
Otherwise, they were a bit lost, adjoining the last letter of please in capital letters.
Good catch!
Typical Topix atheist, taking liberties with the English language to suit their own purposes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn, all that to explain to me why you're off balance and out of this world? You could have just said ya dizzy.
But we already knew that Dave :)
I'm not dizzy, Orrie. I learned spotting a long time ago.

Life is just a bowl of levers.

I should write a song.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/14/us-...

Interesting. Remember when it couldn't possibly have caused the fire that burned up all those men, women, and children at Waco?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"You're, not your."
He makes blunders all the freaking time. Yet he is trying to assert himself as being this grammar authority. I just quit responding to him. Heís shallow, boring and too freaking weird for me. His role playing as women is not normal. I wouldnít be surprised if he is a cross dresser.

Thereís creative writing courses he could take and learn how to actually say something. There are a lot of lawyers that canít write for sh*t. I think he is one of them. He does have some command of the language but not enough to express an in depth opinion. Heís always hanging around the shallow water.

His average word count is about 10 words. Thatís real damn impressive writing for sure.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, ya got me. In my defense, I don't beat the neighbor's dog.
You get points for being a good sport.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
He makes blunders all the freaking time. Yet he is trying to assert himself as being this grammar authority. I just quit responding to him. Heís shallow, boring and too freaking weird for me. His role playing as women is not normal. I wouldnít be surprised if he is a cross dresser.
Thereís creative writing courses he could take and learn how to actually say something. There are a lot of lawyers that canít write for sh*t. I think he is one of them. He does have some command of the language but not enough to express an in depth opinion. Heís always hanging around the shallow water.
His average word count is about 10 words. Thatís real damn impressive writing for sure.
Dude!!

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Pizza pretzel? I like cheese pretzel.
I like mine with butter,:)

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You get points for being a good sport.
Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

589 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 5 min Blue Walker 115,639
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min feces for jesus 722,228
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Charlie Sheen 256,983
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min June VanDerMark 533,616
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 12 min drDouchebag 38,485
GMO foods and you! 14 min Hidingfromyou 4
Producer Chris Diodati Planning More Remixes of... (Jan '14) 15 min jenstannick 2
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 53 min rahx 124
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••