Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
147,661 - 147,680 of 226,503 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153662 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said they weren't laws.
You're acting like just because something is written in the Bible, it's a 100% Christian law that all Christians MUST obey. You're wrong.
The 10 Commandments ARE laws for all Christians, now you're chaanging it up.
Is it against your belief to read the bible or you like being stupid?

Exodus 19

King James Version (KJV)

19 In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai.

2 For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount.

3 And Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;

I don't see the word christian anywhere in there, do you?

I know. You are just a troll and you don't care what the bible says anymore than I do.

That or you are incredibly and willfully stupid.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153663 Feb 12, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Crom is a Cimmerian god from the Hyborian age.
He was an indifferent god.
He was created by Robert E. Howard.
He was killed by Howard in 1936. Bullet to the head killed them all.
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split,
as a general thing.~~ Robert E. Howard
Yes, I was going for the stealing each others' holy days bit. Like the christians took over the Pagan holy days.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153664 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
...You can not duplicate that [gravity] on a spacecraft....
Burt you can simulate it's effect on the body. Ever hear of centrifugal force?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#153665 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Funded by ARPA, so you paid for it. Oh, and it does work, but I can fully understand it might be beyond you.
<quoted text>
I kind of figured you didn't really understand it when you made the erroneous comment about LEO (low Earth orbit) being 90% less gravity effect than sea level.
At sea level the pull of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2.
At leo it's 9 m/s^2.
Freefall is just that - falling.
No different that skydiving EXCEPT
1. there is no atmospheric drag (okay, some on the orbiter, but not on the people inside); AND
2. the forward momentum of the vehicle is great enough to miss hitting the Earth as it constantly *falls* around the Earth (about 7.8 km/s).
"Even low earth orbit is deleterious to a human's health. Bone mass loss and other things that go to hell when they are out of the gravity well they were constructed in. By just a tiny amount. The gravity is still about 90% where they hang out. Free fall is not real lack of gravity."

That is what I said. Where did you come up with the 90% "less"?

Big difference with skydiving. You are following the line of acceleration, lessening "weight". Standing on the ground arrests that acceleration, resulting in the "weight" the body mechanism adjusts to and was developed in. You still have that "weight" in free fall. That is a relative weightlessness. The fact is they suffer from deleterious physical effects even within that 90% of the surface pull. On a trip to Mars you would have to equal the pull of gravity on the Earth's surface in a small craft to duplicate. You can't do it.

Not only do you have that straight vertical effect of gravity on Earth, you also have the tangential pulls from the rest of the Earth. Horizon to horizon is mass pulling on you. Why Newton's theory about mountains affecting gravity is correct.

Location hidden

#153666 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Burt you can simulate it's effect on the body. Ever hear of centrifugal force?
An incomplete simulation. Read my previous post.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153668 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Even low earth orbit is deleterious to a human's health. Bone mass loss and other things that go to hell when they are out of the gravity well they were constructed in. By just a tiny amount. The gravity is still about 90% where they hang out. Free fall is not real lack of gravity."
That is what I said. Where did you come up with the 90% "less"?
Big difference with skydiving. You are following the line of acceleration, lessening "weight". Standing on the ground arrests that acceleration, resulting in the "weight" the body mechanism adjusts to and was developed in. You still have that "weight" in free fall. That is a relative weightlessness. The fact is they suffer from deleterious physical effects even within that 90% of the surface pull. On a trip to Mars you would have to equal the pull of gravity on the Earth's surface in a small craft to duplicate. You can't do it.
Not only do you have that straight vertical effect of gravity on Earth, you also have the tangential pulls from the rest of the Earth. Horizon to horizon is mass pulling on you. Why Newton's theory about mountains affecting gravity is correct.
Okay, I erad your 90% comment backwards. My bad.

As to the rest of your post. That is EXACTLY why we need a new commitment to such a goal. Permanent Moon base, L5, Mars. Anything that can stimulate our imagination, resourcefulness, and commitment.

This is how research creates the kind of spin-offs we need. And the challenges to this kind of goal will greatly improve our understanding (and technology) in human healthcare and ecology.

Again, Apollo's benefit wasn't Moon rocks, it was spin-offs.

Location hidden

#153669 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I erad your 90% comment backwards. My bad.
As to the rest of your post. That is EXACTLY why we need a new commitment to such a goal. Permanent Moon base, L5, Mars. Anything that can stimulate our imagination, resourcefulness, and commitment.
This is how research creates the kind of spin-offs we need. And the challenges to this kind of goal will greatly improve our understanding (and technology) in human healthcare and ecology.
Again, Apollo's benefit wasn't Moon rocks, it was spin-offs.
When it comes to manned flights, get the physics down right before experimenting with people. It is those subtle things that kill you. Wild hairs cost money and lives.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153670 Feb 12, 2013
I would have a better reason to accept there was a dude this Jesus of Nazareth. But not a mouth breathing apologetic. Just that he wasn't a totally made up myth.

Jesus Ben strada there is no reason to believe, we have actual secular historical proof he existed and was executed. We accept he existed because there is actual historical evidence from secular sources who watched him be executed. See the difference?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you'd start believing? Quote the atheist, you are.....
<quoted text>
Ah. You'll believe one story but not the other.
Huh...
Hypocrite.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153671 Feb 12, 2013
Do you are saying you prefer a guy with some extra pounds eh? This explains why you are so angry and confused all time! Your church tells you that your being gay is a sin and you try to fight nature but it eventually slips through as it has here.

Why not leave your church Dave go find man as you clearly state you want to do? I would wager RR and Daffy both are fatasses, more cushion less pushin for you eh? No wait buck is a fatass and he rambles on about incorrect pseudo science just like you!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Chunky, you make me so hot.
Male or female, or whatever you really are, reading your words just gives me a huge erection and the desire to share it with you to shut you up.
I bet you do that to all the guys.

Location hidden

#153672 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do you are saying you prefer a guy with some extra pounds eh? This explains why you are so angry and confused all time! Your church tells you that your being gay is a sin and you try to fight nature but it eventually slips through as it has here.
Why not leave your church Dave go find man as you clearly state you want to do? I would wager RR and Daffy both are fatasses, more cushion less pushin for you eh? No wait buck is a fatass and he rambles on about incorrect pseudo science just like you!
<quoted text>
Don't be coy, Chunky Punky. You know you want it. The last time I sweet talked you, you suddenly ran to your violet wand and didn't come back for a while.

Trading recipes. Yeah.

It doesn't matter if you are he/she/it, lovey. Your gonna get it the same place. My church tells me to give you what you deserve.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153673 Feb 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Salutations need not be complete sentences.
I thought you said common sense is better than education.
I took that to mean that you lack the latter.
In which case, you should at least show some common sense!
A proper salutation would've been "Eagle Baby,".

Not "Eagle baby".

Fine. I concede the sentence remark. It wasn't a propr salutation.

Location hidden

#153674 Feb 12, 2013
The_Box wrote:
It's not a good question. It's a question that's been answered countless times. And every time, the answer is ignored in favor of some pop-psychology or conspiracy theorist-type nonsense.
This'll be good...
Why do skeptics rail against Christianity?
Answer: Christian superstition is viewed as a negative influence on society [[[[SCREEEEEEEEECH!!!!]]]]
By whom?

Who, other than skeptics, view Christianity as a negative influence?

Surely not the millions upon millions that Christianity feeds & houses.......

Location hidden

#153675 Feb 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't.
I talk about religion and the insanity it promotes.
You do?

I've only seen your insane atheist rantings, nothing more.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#153676 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A proper salutation would've been "Eagle Baby,".
Not "Eagle baby".
Fine. I concede the sentence remark. It wasn't a propr salutation.
You should head up to Hwy 38, you're not far.

Location hidden

#153677 Feb 12, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it against your belief to read the bible or you like being stupid?
Exodus 19
King James Version (KJV)
19 In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai.
2 For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount.
3 And Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
I don't see the word christian anywhere in there, do you?
I know. You are just a troll and you don't care what the bible says anymore than I do.
That or you are incredibly and willfully stupid.
No, dummy. You don't see the word "Christian" in there, but you DO see "say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel".....

'_'

Location hidden

#153678 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I would have a better reason to accept there was a dude this Jesus of Nazareth. But not a mouth breathing apologetic. Just that he wasn't a totally made up myth.
Jesus Ben strada there is no reason to believe, we have actual secular historical proof he existed and was executed. We accept he existed because there is actual historical evidence from secular sources who watched him be executed. See the difference?
<quoted text>
Yes, I see the difference...

Secular source = good
Religious source = bad

Lol, you're such a moron.

Location hidden

#153679 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you thinking about a wager regarding my build?

Odd.....

Location hidden

#153680 Feb 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should head up to Hwy 38, you're not far.
I know!

My brother lives in Sugarloaf, about 1 mike from the 38.

Hell be fine, though. He's been stockpiling guns & ammo, too.

He & his oldest son (13) are watching their doors, shotguns loaded & ready.

I wonder if their gay, liberal neighbors will come over for protection....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#153682 Feb 12, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Of yes of course, jesus, lazarus and numerous undead saints roamed jerusalem as zombies (source - the bible)
"...and the dead arose and appeared to man."

Not a single historical reference to this wonder?

Surely somebody noticed!
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153683 Feb 12, 2013
I didn't expect you to say that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell be fine, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 733,694
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Freebird USA 173,299
do right by your woman 7 min pusherman_ 1
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 8 min Aadhi Thamizhan 5,351
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min Epiphany2 600,142
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 49 min yon 2,514
00971527721611 body to body massage full body m... 56 min COCO 3
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 hr JUDEletePete 118,091
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr hojo 539,402
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 19 hr Tiffany 107
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••