Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Siro

Australia

#153604 Feb 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us all with your mighty intelligence where it says that all atheists must commit genocide.
Exactly, you can't - you're full of sh*t and bitter at the fact you have no proof of god.
Remember, it's your mental illness, not ours.
Where it says???????
Its a given, as history books demonstrate.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153605 Feb 12, 2013
Ah yes the bandwagon logical fallacy argument, I expected as much.:sigh:
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought he was pointing out to us that we're always in spitting distance of a Christian.
I bet he'd then say something like "If you don't believe in god, why do you spend so much time talking about him."
Good ol' Dave.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153606 Feb 12, 2013
You dream about me being tied up and sedated? Well Dave when you have role played this in the past with young men I certainly hope they were willing participants.

Good grief BBsting and langoliers going on and on about my trouser snake and now Dave is dreaming about bdsm. Guys guys look I am flattered you are all wanting to line up to suck and swallow my load, but I am very happily married and wifey, the love of my life just won't share. Plus I am only into chicks, sorry just gotta let you three know.

Now Dave you were due to post a long rambling wall of text about god is magnetism right? That even though we have natural, observable, tested means of explaining magnetism you believe it's Jesus.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am having a vision of you in a sort of Jesus position.
Limbs restrained, but instead of vinegar and water, Haldol.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153607 Feb 12, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...I know what you mean.....
I'd probably be of the same opinion if I counted Stalin and Pol Pot as my brethren.
But keep strong Hedonist, your brothers need you.
Maybe you could draft up a petition to outlaw hell and present it to the U.N.
ad hominem and strawman fallacy in the same post. And absolutely nothing addressing the content you were supposed to be replying to.

Well, when you have nothing, try attacking with a bunch of BS. That seems to be about all you are capable of.

Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153608 Feb 12, 2013
Talking of error bars, Simon Singh corrected a Katie Melua song in his science blog in the Guardian. Katie was sporting enough to sing the amended version on BBC Radio 4.

www.youtube.com/watch...
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We can show that certain meteors are from Mars by comparing the chemical composition. Different planets (and asteroids) have different isotopic abundances and we can fairly easily determine the origin of some meteors from that. So the age of meteors from Mars together with the age of the solar system (as determined in other ways) does give an age for Mars. Are there uncertainties? Yes, of course. There always are. All scientific measurements come with error bars. So the age of Mars is 4.6+-.1 billion years.
Siro

Australia

#153609 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
ad hominem and strawman fallacy in the same post. And absolutely nothing addressing the content you were supposed to be replying to.
Well, when you have nothing, try attacking with a bunch of BS. That seems to be about all you are capable of.
Youre the one complaining about hell, I take that as you think good and evil should be equally rewarded.
That would be true for you as atheists have no sense of right or wrong because such things as morality are relative to you depending on your own personal desires at the time.
Your motto is 'If it feels good then do it and f*ck everyone else'

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#153611 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You dream about me being tied up and sedated? Well Dave when you have role played this in the past with young men I certainly hope they were willing participants.
Good grief BBsting and langoliers going on and on about my trouser snake and now Dave is dreaming about bdsm. Guys guys look I am flattered you are all wanting to line up to suck and swallow my load, but I am very happily married and wifey, the love of my life just won't share. Plus I am only into chicks, sorry just gotta let you three know.
Now Dave you were due to post a long rambling wall of text about god is magnetism right? That even though we have natural, observable, tested means of explaining magnetism you believe it's Jesus.
<quoted text>
You are so easy to get you to show your ass. Sure you aren't gay?

Chicks, huh?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153612 Feb 12, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
have no sense of right or wrong because such things as morality are relative to you depending on your own personal desires at the time.
Are atheists really saying that? I think we all agree morality is a good thing. Just whether to get that morality from a discredited book, or from our own natural sense of morals.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#153613 Feb 12, 2013
Annes wrote:
seems that the faith in atheism is just too weak.
Atheism no faith since ever

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#153614 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so easy to get you to show your ass. Sure you aren't gay?
Chicks, huh?
Chunky Poo, are you there?

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#153615 Feb 12, 2013
Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
you just illustrated why there is a hell for you to erode and perish in.
Stop stealing Norse religion punishment place hell

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#153616 Feb 12, 2013
Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
this is why i became a christian. i didn't want to become worthless like you.
Hatefull christian detected

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153617 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent my whole career in air and space sciences, you have no idea what you are talking about.
NASA has proven time and again that its main contribution is the technology that ‘spins off’ from the research they do. The Apollo missions generated about 1,300 documented NASA technologies which have benefited U.S. industry, improved the quality of life and created jobs for Americans. The Space Shuttle program has also generated more than 100 technology spin-offs.
Some of the Apollo program spin-offs include: 1) major improvements in CAT scanners, MRI, and kidney dialysis; 2) protective clothing worn by racecar drivers, nuclear reactor technicians, and shipyard workers; 3) physical therapy machines used by football teams, sports clinics, and medical rehabilitation centers; 4) cordless power tools and appliances; and 5) athletic shoe design and manufacturing techniques. NASA research has led to an extensive line of commercial products, from insulated outer garments to packaging for foods, from life rafts to candy wrappings. Water purification technology used on the Apollo spacecraft is now employed in several spin-off applications to kill bacteria, viruses and algae in community water supply systems.
The Space Shuttle program has some pretty impressive spin-offs, too. Space Shuttle medical spin-offs include: a new artificial heart; major advancements in the diagnosis and treatment of head injury, stroke, chronic dizziness, and central nervous system disorders; new blood diagnosis machines; and bioreactors that are being used to design therapeutic drugs and antibodies. The Ford Motor Company is using Shuttle developments in the production of natural gas-powered cars. A sensitive infrared hand-held camera that observes the blazing plumes from the Shuttle was used during the brush fires that ravaged Malibu, California in 1996 to point out hot spots for firefighters. There is virtually no area of daily life that has not been greatly enhanced by NASA spin-offs. Better roads, better food processes, better medical systems, better shoes – just name it, NASA has improved it!
I would agree with you on the benefits of NASA and it’s contribution to society and including national pride. On the down side the Space Shuttle Program came with a high price of human life. We know both of the shuttle disasters could have been prevented.

We have abandoned the Shuttle Program and we’re going back to the multi stage rocket deployments. I’m one who thinks NASA needs a new and more realistic long term goals. Going beyond Earths orbit with man space flight to Mars for example is a waste of tax dollars.

I have grown to love NASA’s unmanned space exploration. This should be the path NASA should continue to follow. The Hubble Telescope has been a magnificent tool for astronomy. The Mars Rovers have performed exceptionally well. Robotics is the future for NASA. Manned space flight should remain in low Earth orbit.

Southern Illinois

#153618 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
"being tied up and sedated"

Saddism being projected from you again.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153619 Feb 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't obvious to me. In fact, the exact opposite is obvious to me since time is required for causality. To talk about the cause of time shows a lack of understanding of the nature of causality.
The first line of the bible should be, "In the beginning, god created time."

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#153620 Feb 12, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Youre the one complaining about hell, I take that as you think good and evil should be equally rewarded.
That would be true for you as atheists have no sense of right or wrong because such things as morality are relative to you depending on your own personal desires at the time.
Atheism is just a category. As such, there is NO worldview or other general statement anyone can make beyond the simple idea that all atheists lack a belief in the existence of one or more gods.

Most atheists in modern society are generally Humanists, and Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

But you continue spewing your bigoted hate and let the other people reading this thread consider which philosophy they would rather be associated with.

Southern Illinois

#153621 Feb 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us all with your mighty intelligence where it says that all atheists must commit genocide.
Exactly, you can't - you're full of sh*t and bitter at the fact you have no proof of god.
Remember, it's your mental illness, not ours.
Among all of your malicious ramblings you have failed to prove there is no God.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153622 Feb 12, 2013
Agreed.

Oh, sorry, is quote mining only for believers?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no God.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#153623 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree with you on the benefits of NASA and it’s contribution to society and including national pride. On the down side the Space Shuttle Program came with a high price of human life. We know both of the shuttle disasters could have been prevented.
We have abandoned the Shuttle Program and we’re going back to the multi stage rocket deployments. I’m one who thinks NASA needs a new and more realistic long term goals. Going beyond Earths orbit with man space flight to Mars for example is a waste of tax dollars.
I have grown to love NASA’s unmanned space exploration. This should be the path NASA should continue to follow. The Hubble Telescope has been a magnificent tool for astronomy. The Mars Rovers have performed exceptionally well. Robotics is the future for NASA. Manned space flight should remain in low Earth orbit.
Reference post #153590 (" http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ;)

For gaining knowledge of planets, space, etc. Robots work well. For spin-offs that directly benefit humans, we need human involvement.

If you are really concerned about technology gain vs. loss of life. Let's stop all the wars and redirect some DoD money into actually helping our fellow man instead of just paying lip service to it. Oh, that's right, you love weapons of human destruction and training on how to kill people. Never mind.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153624 Feb 12, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah...I know what you mean.....
I'd probably be of the same opinion if I counted Stalin and Pol Pot as my brethren.
But keep strong Hedonist, your brothers need you.
Maybe you could draft up a petition to outlaw hell and present it to the U.N.
Don't have to outlaw what don't exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sharing my wife's nude pics to be exposed (May '14) 5 min justplainted 57
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 777,643
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min USA Born 560,302
John Lennon was an Atheist 19 min Icew 31
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 21 min Rick in Kansas 265,398
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 28 min Juan 410
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 57 min Remnant of 144000 605,298
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 11 hr hpcaban 441,809
More from around the web