Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247436 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153218 Feb 11, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I recall of the myth, Judas was a Jew. Just a detail.
Also, if someone says they are a Christian they are a Christian.
Really, have you heard of the true story of Frank William Abagnale, Jr. They made a movie about him based on a true story called,“Catch me if you Can.”

He claimed to have been a US Bureau of Prisons agent, a lawyer, Airline Pilot, and a Doctor. According to you he was all those things because he made that claim. The FBI didn’t buy, at least once they caught on to his game. He was even an emergency room supervisors over resident Doctors!

You might want to reconsider your requirements.

Frank William Abagnale, Jr.(pron.:/&#712;æb&#6 01;&#609;ne&#618;l/, Italian pronunciation:[aba&#626; &#712;&#626;ale]; born April 27, 1948) is an American security consultant known for his history as a former confidence trickster, check forger, impostor, and escape artist. He became one of the most famous impostors ever, claiming to have assumed no fewer than eight identities as an airline pilot, a doctor, a U.S. Bureau of Prisons agent, and a lawyer. He escaped from police custody twice (once from a taxiing airliner and once from a U.S. federal penitentiary), before he was 21 years old.[4] He served fewer than five years in prison before starting to work for the federal government. He is currently a consultant and lecturer for the FBI academy and field offices. He also runs Abagnale & Associates, a financial fraud consultancy company.[5]
Abagnale's life story provided the inspiration for the feature film Catch Me If You Can, a Broadway musical of the same name which opened in April 2011, and a ghostwritten autobiography also of the same name.

WIKI:

Southern Illinois

#153219 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can buy the events maybe as semi historical. But this still fails to answer the insanity of the bible. Contradictions, errors and absurdities abound.
3=1, jesus=wafer, hellfire, OT insanity, to name but a few.
You believe in the insanity because you want to believe and see it that way.

There are no contradictions in the bible. Only purposely misguided interpretations that fit the reasoning of atheist.

Southern Illinois

#153220 Feb 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes Tacitus and Josephus bth wrote several times about Hercules no matter how much you stomp your feet.
Show me where Tacitus says Jesus.
<quoted text>
How about you showing me that he didn't.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#153221 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which country are you from? Why do you have a chip on your sholder?
Seem like you have big chip on your shoulder, you take more from world then help, with your wars, plundering , rapes, killing... no wonder you nation is morally and financially bankrupt. Bloodly Ignoranus u war mongers.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153222 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed no reference to what Taticus wrote about Hercules. Did he write that he believed Hercules was indeed divinely real? Or as a historian was he recanting some of the folk songs of the time period?
Divine ancestors were considered a matter of course for upper class Romans of the time. So Hercules was believed to be a divine hero.
A historian writes about history and in that history is culture. It so happens when he is writing about Jesus and Pontus Pilate he is referring to a fire that actually happened. We are not talking fiction here but real events.
And what Tacitus relates is that the Christians at the time *believed* in a Christ that was put to death by Roman authorities. Tacitus also relays that Nero attempted to blame the Christians for the fire. In other words, he is relating the folk stories of the Christians in his description of the people Nero was attempting to blame.
Outside the bible there is proof and that proof is found in Taticus writing. He was not referring to a folk song as he did with Hercules but a historical event.
But the historical event he is relating is NOT the story of Jesus, it is that some people who believed in an executed leader were blamed for a fire. That is NOT the same as relating that Jesus was real.

United States

#153223 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which country are you from? Why do you have a chip on your sholder?
US warmongering nation! And you our losing Bloody war monger Imperialist Empire! kowtow you bloody old chap to Americano! MWBHAHAHAHAA!

United States

#153224 Feb 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Divine ancestors were considered a matter of course for upper class Romans of the time. So Hercules was believed to be a divine hero.
<quoted text>
And what Tacitus relates is that the Christians at the time *believed* in a Christ that was put to death by Roman authorities. Tacitus also relays that Nero attempted to blame the Christians for the fire. In other words, he is relating the folk stories of the Christians in his description of the people Nero was attempting to blame.
<quoted text>
But the historical event he is relating is NOT the story of Jesus, it is that some people who believed in an executed leader were blamed for a fire. That is NOT the same as relating that Jesus was real.
Today those right wing US christian represent wars and choas, not the true/pure christain we all know who stand not for peace but wars, plundering... Using as facade...

Since: Mar 11

United States

#153225 Feb 11, 2013
I can do better.

Tacitus was born decades after the supposed death of Jesus anything he wrote about him would be he said she said at best.

He was an imperial and would never refer to anyone as Christ in an official document. He never says Jesus. Ever. And we had dozens of Christ figures at the time if not hundreds. But again he would never write that.

Pilate was not a prefect and Tacitus would have known this.

The earliest reference of this Christ passage in Tacitus work appears in the 15th century earlier versions do not have this in it.

Even Christian historians including several priests and reverends have moved away from the Tacitus forgery.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you showing me that he didn't.

United States

#153226 Feb 11, 2013
oh yes it is ! but! PAradoxically IRONIC! Our American Sheeooople need to wake up US corrupted in power is ruining US AND WORLD WITH US WAR MACHINES!

This Is What our US right wing Christian nation stand for

US iNTERNATIONAL WAR CRIMES & CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY -

UNITED STATES WAR & INTERVENTIONS
MILITARY INTERVENTIONS, COVERT OPERATIONS, COUPS AND ATTEMPTED COUPS, ELECTION INTERFERENCE, REGIME CHANGE, COLOR REVOLUTIONS
Hiroshima and Nagasaki (Japan), Philippines, South Korea, Lebanon, Iran, Guatemala, Cuba, Congo/Zaire, Brazil,
Greece, Poland, Turkey, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Chile, Angola, East TImor, Nicaragua,
Grenada, Panama, Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Yugoslavia, Georgia, Ukraine, Argentina, Ghana, Venezuela, Bolivia, Hondoras,
Paraguay, Mexico, El Salvador, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen, Tunesia, Egypt, Libya, Syria,...

"If Nuremberg were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."
Noam Chomsky

Above is just tip of iceberg of US evils as Christian nation, not include are US wars since the inception of a US militaristic .US imperialistic Empire !
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153227 Feb 11, 2013
Ah, bless.
Acadia wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to put it in terms only an atheist could relate to. You're so low, putting it in a loving , kind way would have gone over your greasy head.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153228 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, have you heard of the true story of Frank William Abagnale, Jr. They made a movie about him based on a true story called,“Catch me if you Can.”
He claimed to have been a US Bureau of Prisons agent, a lawyer, Airline Pilot, and a Doctor. According to you he was all those things because he made that claim. The FBI didn’t buy, at least once they caught on to his game. He was even an emergency room supervisors over resident Doctors!
You might want to reconsider your requirements.
Frank William Abagnale, Jr.(pron.:/&#712;æb&#6 01;&#609;ne&#618;l/, Italian pronunciation:[aba&#626; &#712;&#626;ale]; born April 27, 1948) is an American security consultant known for his history as a former confidence trickster, check forger, impostor, and escape artist. He became one of the most famous impostors ever, claiming to have assumed no fewer than eight identities as an airline pilot, a doctor, a U.S. Bureau of Prisons agent, and a lawyer. He escaped from police custody twice (once from a taxiing airliner and once from a U.S. federal penitentiary), before he was 21 years old.[4] He served fewer than five years in prison before starting to work for the federal government. He is currently a consultant and lecturer for the FBI academy and field offices. He also runs Abagnale & Associates, a financial fraud consultancy company.[5]
Abagnale's life story provided the inspiration for the feature film Catch Me If You Can, a Broadway musical of the same name which opened in April 2011, and a ghostwritten autobiography also of the same name.
WIKI:
Then I guess the vast majority of christians are not christians.

That swings the argument from popularity wildly in our favor.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153229 Feb 11, 2013
His kingdom for a hearse?
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I say amnesty for the chap, on the parking tickets.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153230 Feb 11, 2013
Bollocks, you're sucking up apologists nonsense.
The church fights social progress tooth and nail, and you're part of the problem.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A servant is one who serves. This could be someone who is a hired employee or someone working for food and lodging. I’m not saying it couldn’t mean slaves but I would expect the scripture to have used the word slave versus servant.
Ephesians 6:5
King James Version (KJV)
5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;
1 Timothy 6:1-2
King James Version (KJV)
6. Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
2. And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.
I’m not Catholic. I could care less if the Pope stays or goes. He is just another man to me.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#153231 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Following my own path has nothing to do with gathering information.
You might want to stop throwing around words who's meaning you seem to misunderstand. TRUTH, that which is true in accordance with FACT or REALITY. You have NO truth about what happens after we die. You have a belief which insulates you and others from your fear of death. And fear is the motivator, the reason billion of people believe in a deity. Such a warm and comfy feeling to know that death is something to be embraced, something to actually look forward to. Without this belief you face a cold darkness, oblivion, NOTHING. Yes I can see very well why the fear of death spawns billions to worship a deity.
A little research will show that Atheist actually have an IQ greater than those who believe. Has to do with logic and reason I think.
I personally think religion is dangerous, dangerous to individuals and a danger to society. I think it is extremely unhealthy to harbor a belief without evidence, and to believe in something for no good reason. To believe simply because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Our beliefs inform our actions, we should have evidence for our beliefs.
Your thinking is based upon the gathering of a lot of misinformation. Don't forget those you get it from are the same that taught and preached religion in other times as a science.

You are not the first or only man in history with the passion and belief in their righteousness to stand on a mountaintop to rail against the Creator of all things. Such may impress other men, but not an entity on that level. It wouldn't even elicit a yawn from it. You are shooting your wad in the bathroom.

I have an IQ that will get me into MENSA, and have spent my life dealing in the physical world and cause and effect in the lower social strata. I haven't had the training of how to think like yourself, or the elevated position to limit my perspectives of reality. You have driven down the highway of life in the dark with your bright lights on, I have walked the side of the road. You would be amazed at what you missed seeing.

You are likely to not understand the significance of that allegory in your rush to judgments.

I have also had the experience of my consciousness being totally dissociated from my existence as a material being. Full consciousness that transformed. It went through the agony of separation. It got its pink slip from this grand production. It was suddenly unemployed. Yet during the entire event there was not the slightest hint or thought that its consciousness would cease to exist. Not in the slightest. No going to sleep for evermore. It actually found a new job and was waiting to step into it before getting a call from this one to return to work just seconds before committing itself.

It was a very vast, dark, and empty space it occupied. Not a soul to be seen, but an intelligent force it wished to avoid. It's only escape was the new job it had.

Of course it was still linked to this physical body, otherwise I couldn't remember the events. It takes meat to store those things. Spirits just wander and do things. But the experience definitely disproved the closing your eyes and going into eternal sleep unconscious you would like to believe. I was just hit by a large truck out of nowhere. Was not a drug or hospital thing where a stage was set.

There was a sense of gratefulness to humanity for pulling me back. But the subsequent events are another story. What you read of my saying we are part of a larger entity is a derived perception based upon that and a technological analysis.

You rant and rave about fear of death and such as the reason for religion. I experienced it. You haven't. I believe in a higher order of things.

There were other aspects of the event I don't have space to relate here.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153232 Feb 11, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
oh yes it is ! but! PAradoxically IRONIC! Our American Sheeooople need to wake up US corrupted in power is ruining US AND WORLD WITH US WAR MACHINES!
I actually agree with your point. But they way you put it reads like you are blaming all Americans and all Christians for the situation. And also reads like a paranoid nutjob, forgive my bluntness :) Its only the people in power that seek wars. Normal people dont want war.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153233 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no contradictions in the bible. Only purposely misguided interpretations that fit the reasoning of atheist.
There is no way you can be on this forum for as long as you have, and possibily believ this.

Just one example of dozens, just line up the geneology of Jesus in Matthew and Luke.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153234 Feb 11, 2013
"I have an IQ that will get me into MENSA" Really?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153235 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way you can be on this forum for as long as you have, and possibily believ this.
Just one example of dozens, just line up the geneology of Jesus in Matthew and Luke.
Instead of being a typical atheist & assuming everything, why don't you do a little research as to why there seems to be discrepancies.

Why does one say 41 generations and the other 76 generations?

Why was one written forward while the other backward?

Does the Levirate marriage tradition have anything to do with it?

You atheists CLAIM to be the smart ones but you have difficulty researching & understanding the simplest things.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153236 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your thinking is based upon the gathering of a lot of misinformation. Don't forget those you get it from are the same that taught and preached religion in other times as a science.
You are not the first or only man in history with the passion and belief in their righteousness to stand on a mountaintop to rail against the Creator of all things. Such may impress other men, but not an entity on that level. It wouldn't even elicit a yawn from it. You are shooting your wad in the bathroom.
I have an IQ that will get me into MENSA, and have spent my life dealing in the physical world and cause and effect in the lower social strata. I haven't had the training of how to think like yourself, or the elevated position to limit my perspectives of reality. You have driven down the highway of life in the dark with your bright lights on, I have walked the side of the road. You would be amazed at what you missed seeing.
You are likely to not understand the significance of that allegory in your rush to judgments.
I have also had the experience of my consciousness being totally dissociated from my existence as a material being. Full consciousness that transformed. It went through the agony of separation. It got its pink slip from this grand production. It was suddenly unemployed. Yet during the entire event there was not the slightest hint or thought that its consciousness would cease to exist. Not in the slightest. No going to sleep for evermore. It actually found a new job and was waiting to step into it before getting a call from this one to return to work just seconds before committing itself.
It was a very vast, dark, and empty space it occupied. Not a soul to be seen, but an intelligent force it wished to avoid. It's only escape was the new job it had.
Of course it was still linked to this physical body, otherwise I couldn't remember the events. It takes meat to store those things. Spirits just wander and do things. But the experience definitely disproved the closing your eyes and going into eternal sleep unconscious you would like to believe. I was just hit by a large truck out of nowhere. Was not a drug or hospital thing where a stage was set.
There was a sense of gratefulness to humanity for pulling me back. But the subsequent events are another story. What you read of my saying we are part of a larger entity is a derived perception based upon that and a technological analysis.
You rant and rave about fear of death and such as the reason for religion. I experienced it. You haven't. I believe in a higher order of things.
There were other aspects of the event I don't have space to relate here.
You can't argue with blacklagoon, Dave. He knows how old Mars is...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153237 Feb 11, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
This Is What our US right wing Christian nation stand for
US iNTERNATIONAL WAR CRIMES & CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY -
UNITED STATES WAR & INTERVENTIONS
MILITARY INTERVENTIONS, COVERT OPERATIONS, COUPS AND ATTEMPTED COUPS, ELECTION INTERFERENCE, REGIME CHANGE, COLOR REVOLUTIONS
Hiroshima and Nagasaki (Japan), Philippines, South Korea, Lebanon, Iran, Guatemala, Cuba, Congo/Zaire, Brazil,
Greece, Poland, Turkey, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Chile, Angola, East TImor, Nicaragua,
Grenada, Panama, Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Yugoslavia, Georgia, Ukraine, Argentina, Ghana, Venezuela, Bolivia, Hondoras,
Paraguay, Mexico, El Salvador, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen, Tunesia, Egypt, Libya, Syria,...
"If Nuremberg were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."
Noam Chomsky
Above is just tip of iceberg of US evils as Christian nation, not include are US wars since the inception of a US militaristic .US imperialistic Empire !
i see you are from the U.S. if you are so unhappy with all the good the U.S. has done for many countries, why don't you move? What is your nationality? Whatever it is, move back there, you'd be so much happier. The really nice thing about this country is that you can talk all this bullshit, and no one can stop you. Try that in some countries and you'd be hung. You don't realize how lucky you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min USaGlobalWarMongerer 879,452
The Christian Atheist debate 8 min messianic114 3,869
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 9 min RiccardoFire 8,108
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 11 min waaasssuuup 7,632
Prove there's a god. 12 min just saying 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 35 min confrinting with ... 603,293
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 37 min USaGlobalWarMongerer 177,874
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr Pegasus 272,895
More from around the web