Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254885 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#153241 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't argue with blacklagoon, Dave. He knows how old Mars is...
Actually, I am not really arguing with him. Just assisting him.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153242 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't argue with blacklagoon, Dave. He knows how old Mars is...
Education is truly a wonderful experience. Mars is 4.6 billion years old. Your entirely welcome!!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153243 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I am not really arguing with him. Just assisting him.
I see.

Good call...

Westcliffe, CO

#153244 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Personal delusional experiences do not count as evidence.
Your personal delusions gained from being propelled through time and space faster than you can see does?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153245 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Education is truly a wonderful experience. Mars is 4.6 billion years old. Your entirely welcome!!!!
I hope you understand that's only an assumption. There is no Martian rocks that we have been able to examine.....

Even if there was, who's to say that's accurate? How many rocks have been studied on earth and how many of those are totally different from each other?

You have no right to say that Christians "blindly believe", that's exactly what you're doing.

You're partially welcome.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#153246 Feb 11, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Both Josephus and Tacitus mention other biblically relevant occurrences that are not in dispute such as Pontius Pilate and the Crucifixion, or servile supplicium (extreme penalty). If Jesus wasn't the crucified "Christus", mentioned in Tacitus' historical account which translated means the annointed one, or the Messiah, who was? You don't have a clue, do you? Neither does the author of the posted babble you copied off some atheist website.
In his Annals, in book 15, chapter 44, written c. 116 AD, there is a passage which refers to Christ, to Pontius Pilate, and to a mass execution of the Christians after a six-day fire that burned much of Rome in July 64 AD by Nero.
"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind".
Oops! My bad! These comments were meant for the mentally deranged resident troll, gimmeliberty. Specifically his post #153195
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153247 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of being a typical atheist & assuming everything, why don't you do a little research as to why there seems to be discrepancies.
I am an agnostic/deist not an atheist. I have wasted way too much time already on the buybull, and know full well that book of contradictions. Its very clear without faith glasses, that it is not the work of any God. If YOU studied it properly the geneology in Matthew/Luke is a clear error. The excuses are ludicrous.

A more reasonable position for you would be to admit errors, and just stick to a watered down belief thin version of xianity. That way you could at least have some self worth and a defendable set of beliefs.

Westcliffe, CO

#153248 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Education is truly a wonderful experience. Mars is 4.6 billion years old. Your entirely welcome!!!!
Is that from the same sources that told you Mars was the same size as Earth? Mars is the size of the Earth's inner and outer core.

Now, Venus is roughly the same size. She is also doing a very slow revolution counter to ours.

But there was life on Mars, if not now. Nothing is truly "dead" in the Kingdom of God, just currently inactive.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153249 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an agnostic/deist not an atheist. I have wasted way too much time already on the buybull, and know full well that book of contradictions. Its very clear without faith glasses, that it is not the work of any God. If YOU studied it properly the geneology in Matthew/Luke is a clear error. The excuses are ludicrous.
A more reasonable position for you would be to admit errors, and just stick to a watered down belief thin version of xianity. That way you could at least have some self worth and a defendable set of beliefs.
So you haven't studied it at all. Great. That's all you had to say.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153250 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you haven't studied it at all. Great. That's all you had to say.
This is a very good article, which explains the issue fully.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/paul_c...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153251 Feb 11, 2013
A few key points:

They cannot even agree on who the father of Joseph was.

Long after Matthew and Luke wrote the genealogies the church invented (or more likely borrowed from the mystery religions) the doctrine of the virgin birth.

Of all the writers of the New Testament, only Matthew and Luke mention the virgin birth.

1. The gospel writers contradict each other.

2. The gospel writers rewrote history when it suited their purposes.

3. The gospels were extensively edited to accommodate the evolving dogma of the church.

4. The gospel writers misused the Old Testament to provide prophecies for Jesus to fulfill.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153252 Feb 11, 2013
The obvious conclusions.

1. The Bible is not the word of God.
2. Christianity is based on the Bible, so is not an inspired religion.
3. The evidence shows religions are man made and in the mind.

Westcliffe, CO

#153253 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
The obvious conclusions.
1. The Bible is not the word of God.
2. Christianity is based on the Bible, so is not an inspired religion.
3. The evidence shows religions are man made and in the mind.
Youngblood, don't feel angry that you were led down a false path. It wasn't as deliberate as your emotions in reaction to it would lead you to believe.

The very essence of "being" is an action/reaction thingy. Analogous to a flashlight being turned on in a dark room and suddenly it "sees" and tries to figure out what is and what ain't.

When you get into the nitty gritty of physics you will discover that what you see is all mirrors. It is in the nature of energy transfers. You can't see transmitted light, just what it bounces off of, or more accurately, what it stimulates to emit it's own light potential.

Look around, you are somewhere, you just don't know where.

You are in the funhouse with everyone else, lost in the maze and trying to find the way out. You will hear the voices of those who think they found the way, and maybe follow them. That is the voices of religion and science. People just as lost as you are, but they think they smell the entrance. They may have, but they aren't anywhere near the entrance, to see what is outside.

You are stuck in the funhouse until your batteries go dead and the mirrors you follow cease to be seen. Not a bit of sense in letting the hollers of others interfere with your experience and exploration and enjoyment while you can. Just remember the funhouse and the flashlight were provided for your amusement.

There may be a charge to get back out of it, though. Maybe just a simple thanks.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#153254 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed no reference to what Taticus wrote about Hercules.
Who?

Not Hercules, the other guy you mention here.

The writer.

Who is that?
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153255 Feb 11, 2013
He probably thinks the writer is a member of the plant family Cactaceae, within the order Caryophyllales. Yes, I'm sure of it.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who?
Not Hercules, the other guy you mention here.
The writer.
Who is that?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153256 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you understand that's only an assumption. There is no Martian rocks that we have been able to examine.....
Even if there was, who's to say that's accurate? How many rocks have been studied on earth and how many of those are totally different from each other?
You have no right to say that Christians "blindly believe", that's exactly what you're doing.
From Universe Today

How do scientists determine the age of a meteorite? Mainly by studying the minerals found within them, lead isotopes to be specific. Uranium has been found to decay into certain isotopes of lead on a predictable schedule. Uranium235 will decay into the isotope Lead207 every 7.13×108 years and is used in radiometric dating. Scientist also know that uranium238 will decay into Lead206 every 4.468×109(4.468 billion) years. The presence of the lead daughter isotopes gives scientists a clue into the age of a meteorite.

A relatively large number of meteorites have been found on Earth. Each has been tested along with various rocks that are original to our planet. Samples from the Moon were tested as well. The results all show an approximate age of 4.6 billion years. That has led scientist to state that all of the material(this includes planets) in the Solar System is 4.6 billion years old. So, by extrapolation, the answer to ”how old is Mars?” is 4.6 billion years old.

I'm going to have to start charging you the education I'm providing for you, since it appears your too lazy to learn o your own. I'll be nice this time....no charge!!!

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/14852/how-old-is...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#153257 Feb 11, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Believers try to chastise me for quoting the OT, but they, like you, do mind quoting it, when it suits you.
This is your god's way of curing leprosy.
Leviticus 14:49 And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:
50 And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water:
51 And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:
52 And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:
53 But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.
An ignorance of prophetic symbology is the issue you have here.:-)

Location hidden

#153258 Feb 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
First define what *you* mean when you say something is caused.
yes, the empirical evidence shows that causality, as typically defined (a cause necessarily implies the effect) is false. Look at Bell's inequality and the experiments supporting it.
Are you pointing to Bells theorem of inequality as empirical evidence?

Location hidden

#153259 Feb 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong yet again.
My point is that every caused event has a *physical* cause. This is supported by all the evidence. So any initial cause is a physical, uncaused event. I separately, and independently of this argument, claim that quantum events are examples of physical, uncaused events.
You are arguing for an infinite regress.

Yes/no?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153260 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't see the difference do you!! The difference between accepting what hard working scientist have discovered, and Theists who's best evidence is personal delusional experiences. I've asked you this before, but don't think you answered. Do you "blindly trust" medical science when you have a serious Illness? I believe you are the one who also mistrusts doctors. So your choices would be, seek medical help or stay home and pray, which one would you chose?

As a side note.....science and scientist ALWAYS deal with the real world, the discover, test, evaluate, categorize, subject there finding for peer review. I'm smart enough to trust what mainstream science tells me is true, at least its true in this moment in time. It may not be true tomorrow as new discoveries are found, but I accept the fact that this is how science works, this is how we advance in our understanding of the world around us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min It aint necessari... 28,357
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 8 min Paul is dead 3,607
sex (May '13) 28 min shann 263
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 39 min Ooogah Boogah 968,719
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 48 min Huijiadelujiudaole 637,255
See What Joan Rivers Said About The Obamas B4 S... 1 hr LMAO 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr truth 181,900
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve 44,121
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 11 hr truth 37,988
More from around the web