Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#153203 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If they find life on Mars like on the Vegas Strip, with neon flashing lights. I’m going to say,“I’ll be damn.”
Yeah, you probably will.
Thinking

Cullompton, UK

#153204 Feb 11, 2013
You, for one. But I did not say jesus owned slaves, I said jesus was OK with slavery.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.(1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

Fancy being the next pope?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide the names of the slaves Jesus owned and the scripture reference where he said he was ok with slavery.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#153205 Feb 11, 2013
Judas is a mythological work of fiction like the green goblin.

Even the name Judas Iscariot is a slap in the face of Jewish people basically meaning Jewish assassin or Jewish liar. Obviously it is a made up fictional character.

Wow you are really bad at this Daffy.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you would count Judas Iscariot a example of Christianity too. Even though history see’s him as the betrayer.
If I may use your words,“hallucinatory raving of an utter lunatic.” That phrase of yours would fit Denis Rader and you very nicely. Christianity requires more than occasional attendance but obedience to Christ teachings.
It doesn’t matter how the average infidel defines Christianity. It’s how God defines it.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153207 Feb 11, 2013
Acadia wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a weak atheist coward, he won't be able to do it.
Slavery in the Bible
http://www.evilbible.com/Slavery.htm

And remember if you believe Jesus is God incarnate, he is the one dishing out the insane and barbaric old testament laws.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153208 Feb 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
We have secular proof for Pilate and many Pharaohs but zero for Jesus and Moses. Josephus and Tacitus both wrote several times about Hercules so are you saying he existed?
The Josephus Jesus passage btw was forged into his work centuries later.
Outside the bible we have zero historical proof for Jesus or Moses. These are the stone cold facts. I know you don't like them but that doesn't change them.
So your bible god condones and even orders slavery, rape, genocide and putting every infant to the sword. Are these moral actions?
<quoted text>
I noticed no reference to what Taticus wrote about Hercules. Did he write that he believed Hercules was indeed divinely real? Or as a historian was he recanting some of the folk songs of the time period?

A historian writes about history and in that history is culture. It so happens when he is writing about Jesus and Pontus Pilate he is referring to a fire that actually happened. We are not talking fiction here but real events.

Outside the bible there is proof and that proof is found in Taticus writing. He was not referring to a folk song as he did with Hercules but a historical event.

Scottsburg, IN

#153209 Feb 11, 2013
Ephesians 6:5
1 Timothy 6: 1-2
Luke 12:47-48

Not to mention all the slavery he ordered in the OT and Paul commanding a run away slave to return to his Christian master.

Anything else I can humiliate you on Daffy?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide the names of the slaves Jesus owned and the scripture reference where he said he was ok with slavery.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153210 Feb 11, 2013
It has been about a year since I deconverted. I had a realisation yesterday. Kind of obvious really. But the idea fundies have that nearly everyone will burn in eternal hell fire is completely insane and truly evil. Fundies are psychopaths and very sick people. To say you are saved is actually to admit that you are a psycho.

I am beginning to rethink whether people I knew at church actually believed this stuff, or just paid lip service to it. Cause its frightening that any person today could actually believe in the eternal torture of the damned. You are fed only half a story.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#153211 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironic how people who don’t believe in God define who is and isn’t a Christian. As if to say you are some sort of authority on the subject.
Under your analogy Denis Rader known also as BTK was a true to the core Christian since he attended a Lutheran Church. Never mind that he was a mass murder. To you he was a fine example of Christianity.
I guess you would count Judas Iscariot a example of Christianity too. Even though history see’s him as the betrayer.
If I may use your words,“hallucinatory raving of an utter lunatic.” That phrase of yours would fit Denis Rader and you very nicely. Christianity requires more than occasional attendance but obedience to Christ teachings.
It doesn’t matter how the average infidel defines Christianity. It’s how God defines it.
From what I recall of the myth, Judas was a Jew. Just a detail.

Also, if someone says they are a Christian they are a Christian.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#153212 Feb 11, 2013
LOL! You our if t you are true /pure US Christians (?) who stand for love and peace(?) need to do something to save nation - it is ruining our US because of those US Right WING CHRISTAINs Wars on other countries. So, u have any thing to say?

FYI!

This Is What our US right wing Christian nation stand for

US iNTERNATIONAL WAR CRIMES & CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY -

UNITED STATES WAR & INTERVENTIONS
MILITARY INTERVENTIONS, COVERT OPERATIONS, COUPS AND ATTEMPTED COUPS, ELECTION INTERFERENCE, REGIME CHANGE, COLOR REVOLUTIONS
Hiroshima and Nagasaki (Japan), Philippines, South Korea, Lebanon, Iran, Guatemala, Cuba, Congo/Zaire, Brazil,
Greece, Poland, Turkey, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Chile, Angola, East TImor, Nicaragua,
Grenada, Panama, Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Yugoslavia, Georgia, Ukraine, Argentina, Ghana, Venezuela, Bolivia, Hondoras,
Paraguay, Mexico, El Salvador, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen, Tunesia, Egypt, Libya, Syria,...

"If Nuremberg were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."
Noam Chomsky

Above is just tip of iceberg of US evils as Christian nation, not include are US wars since the inception of a US militaristic US imperialistic Empire
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153213 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
not referring to a folk song as he did with Hercules but a historical event.
I can buy the events maybe as semi historical. But this still fails to answer the insanity of the bible. Contradictions, errors and absurdities abound.

3=1, jesus=wafer, hellfire, OT insanity, to name but a few.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153214 Feb 11, 2013
Acadia wrote:
<quoted text>
You should never be trusted. You spent your life filled with shaping it to serve satan. You are just too embarrassed to admit it.
Thanks for demonstrating how the "simple" mind works. Two choices exists for you. Serve God, or Serve Satan. Your thought process has been reduced to "pick on and spend your life in servitude." And this is what religion has done to, at one time, a perfectly good mind, shameful. I always thought the bridge to expanding awareness and intelligence was to NOT restrict ones scope of understanding. To NOT pigeon hole our thoughts, but seek open spaces for knowledge. I can see how wrong I was, LOL. I, like you, should reduce my thoughts to, pick one and serve. Every time I see a post like yours, I am overjoyed at NOT having a belief that reduces me to a mere servant. And I might add, a servant to a vicious, cruel, baby killer. Poor you!!!!

Scottsburg, IN

#153215 Feb 11, 2013
Yes Tacitus and Josephus bth wrote several times about Hercules no matter how much you stomp your feet.

Show me where Tacitus says Jesus.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed no reference to what Taticus wrote about Hercules. Did he write that he believed Hercules was indeed divinely real? Or as a historian was he recanting some of the folk songs of the time period?
A historian writes about history and in that history is culture. It so happens when he is writing about Jesus and Pontus Pilate he is referring to a fire that actually happened. We are not talking fiction here but real events.
Outside the bible there is proof and that proof is found in Taticus writing. He was not referring to a folk song as he did with Hercules but a historical event.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#153216 Feb 11, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
Which country are you from? Why do you have a chip on your sholder?

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#153217 Feb 11, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You, for one. But I did not say jesus owned slaves, I said jesus was OK with slavery.
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.(1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)
Fancy being the next pope?
<quoted text>
A servant is one who serves. This could be someone who is a hired employee or someone working for food and lodging. I’m not saying it couldn’t mean slaves but I would expect the scripture to have used the word slave versus servant.

Ephesians 6:5
King James Version (KJV)

5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

1 Timothy 6:1-2
King James Version (KJV)

6. Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

2. And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

I’m not Catholic. I could care less if the Pope stays or goes. He is just another man to me.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#153218 Feb 11, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I recall of the myth, Judas was a Jew. Just a detail.
Also, if someone says they are a Christian they are a Christian.
Really, have you heard of the true story of Frank William Abagnale, Jr. They made a movie about him based on a true story called,“Catch me if you Can.”

He claimed to have been a US Bureau of Prisons agent, a lawyer, Airline Pilot, and a Doctor. According to you he was all those things because he made that claim. The FBI didn’t buy, at least once they caught on to his game. He was even an emergency room supervisors over resident Doctors!

You might want to reconsider your requirements.

Frank William Abagnale, Jr.(pron.:/&#712;æb&#6 01;&#609;ne&#618;l/, Italian pronunciation:[aba&#626; &#712;&#626;ale]; born April 27, 1948) is an American security consultant known for his history as a former confidence trickster, check forger, impostor, and escape artist. He became one of the most famous impostors ever, claiming to have assumed no fewer than eight identities as an airline pilot, a doctor, a U.S. Bureau of Prisons agent, and a lawyer. He escaped from police custody twice (once from a taxiing airliner and once from a U.S. federal penitentiary), before he was 21 years old.[4] He served fewer than five years in prison before starting to work for the federal government. He is currently a consultant and lecturer for the FBI academy and field offices. He also runs Abagnale & Associates, a financial fraud consultancy company.[5]
Abagnale's life story provided the inspiration for the feature film Catch Me If You Can, a Broadway musical of the same name which opened in April 2011, and a ghostwritten autobiography also of the same name.

WIKI:

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#153219 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can buy the events maybe as semi historical. But this still fails to answer the insanity of the bible. Contradictions, errors and absurdities abound.
3=1, jesus=wafer, hellfire, OT insanity, to name but a few.
You believe in the insanity because you want to believe and see it that way.

There are no contradictions in the bible. Only purposely misguided interpretations that fit the reasoning of atheist.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#153220 Feb 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes Tacitus and Josephus bth wrote several times about Hercules no matter how much you stomp your feet.
Show me where Tacitus says Jesus.
<quoted text>
How about you showing me that he didn't.

United States

#153221 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Seem like you have big chip on your shoulder, you take more from world then help, with your wars, plundering , rapes, killing... no wonder you nation is morally and financially bankrupt. Bloodly Ignoranus u war mongers.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153222 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Divine ancestors were considered a matter of course for upper class Romans of the time. So Hercules was believed to be a divine hero.
And what Tacitus relates is that the Christians at the time *believed* in a Christ that was put to death by Roman authorities. Tacitus also relays that Nero attempted to blame the Christians for the fire. In other words, he is relating the folk stories of the Christians in his description of the people Nero was attempting to blame.
But the historical event he is relating is NOT the story of Jesus, it is that some people who believed in an executed leader were blamed for a fire. That is NOT the same as relating that Jesus was real.

United States

#153223 Feb 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
US warmongering nation! And you our losing Bloody war monger Imperialist Empire! kowtow you bloody old chap to Americano! MWBHAHAHAHAA!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 8 min Chalupa Batgirl 36,725
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min Seentheotherside 688,651
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr quiveringanusredn... 988,433
Does anyone else hate being around white women? 1 hr hmmmm 25
Main causes of bullying 1 hr Wise above all 3
How did black people get here ( economically) 3 hr Johnny 70
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr Wisdom of Ages 6,545
More from around the web