Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153141 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
You Topix atheists don't want anyone to define you, yet you feel free to define the powers and intents of a god to the theists that believe in it.
Where do you get your information? Where do you get the gall to do such a thing?
I get all my information from Theists who claim their deity has given them free will. Free will to choose good over evil. They miss the logic of such a belief, that logic that shows their God knows what they will do before they do it, thus making the concept of free will, totally bogus.

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#153142 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Hmmmm...

I wonder if changing the bulb in Topix atheist's head to more energy efficient types will help? Maybe get enough light out of the low wattage available to them to see beyond themselves.
I don't think you can get that much light out of that low of wattage.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153143 Feb 10, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Atheists KNOW God is REAL. They just CHOOSE to be STOOPID.
Theist know that due to the complete lack of evidence combined with reason and logic, that their imaginary friend cannot exist, they are just to embarrassed to admit it. I would be to, if I spent my life shaping all my action to please this myth.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#153144 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
I doubt that we are going nowhere! From most reports, Atheism is growing very rapidly. I am guessing that the internet, with forums like this, is one of the main reasons.
That's because everyday people are wising up and getting smarter. No time for fairy tales just because someone "told you" to believe them.

http://theweek.com/article/index/226625/the-r...

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#153145 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I get all my information from Theists who claim their deity has given them free will. Free will to choose good over evil. They miss the logic of such a belief, that logic that shows their God knows what they will do before they do it, thus making the concept of free will, totally bogus.
Where does it say God has eternal pre-cognizance of individuals actions that it gave free will?

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#153146 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your beliefs are imaginary.
So are your's.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153148 Feb 10, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor, let us say, so far there is absolutely no evidence of life on Mars. Now we must be clear when we say “life” we are talking plants and animals of various sorts.
Having lived in a desert myself. I can tell you that it is beaming with life. A different kind of life perhaps but life indeed.
Mars was very much Earth like at one time including rain showers. Lots of evidence of water but absolutely no evidence of life, so far. I know this is a disappointment to Atheist. It would be a grand slam home run if there were signs of life. We have been studying Mars not just this decade but for decades. And the scientific thought is at this time, that there’s no life there, in the past or present.
As far as manned missions to Mars. I’m completely against it. Mainly because of the cost factor. I would prefer to explore Mars in the most scientific economical way. We are doing that right now. We don’t have to send mankind to Mars when we can bring Mars to us.
Until life or remains of life is revealed on Mars. It will remain an example that life can’t simply self spawn from sterile material. The pendulum swings toward creationist Doctor when it comes to Mars.
The two mars rovers primary mission was to examine and send back data on rocks and soil samples. They originally were to function for 90 days. Spirt was stuck in loose sand for nine months and became inoperable and now is used as a platform for observation. For all of the time these robots have been on Mars they have investigated a mere 11 miles of the planets surface. Considering how long Mars has been a dead planet and considering how difficult it is right here on earth to find long dead organisms, I think it's a little too soon to say that Mars has no evidence of past life. We have yet to investigate the two polar ice caps which contain liquid water.

There is NO pendulum and there is simply too much evidence on our own Planet that fully supports the facts of evolution, to entertain the science-less claims for creationism.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153149 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say God has eternal pre-cognizance of individuals actions that it gave free will?
So are you saying your God is NOT omnipotent, and omniscient? An omniscient God KNOWS everything including what will happen in the future, correct? Either your God is ALL KNOWING,,,,ALL POWERFUL or he's not. Are you saying there are certain limitations that God has? He can't know of future events?

Lamar, CO

#153150 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So are you saying your God is NOT omnipotent, and omniscient? An omniscient God KNOWS everything including what will happen in the future, correct? Either your God is ALL KNOWING,,,,ALL POWERFUL or he's not. Are you saying there are certain limitations that God has? He can't know of future events?
You are saying and assuming those things. I haven't got a clue what it's capable of. Other than whipping my ass, or yours.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153151 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying and assuming those things. I haven't got a clue what it's capable of. Other than whipping my ass, or yours.
I can only go by what the "experts" on the subject say. I have a complete lack of belief so I have to abdicate to those who are experts in the field, same as I do for science. I guess that the way it works, we can't all know everything. People come to be and ask my expert advice, or seek information, i do the same. This is the doctrine that most Theists swear by, an Omniscient, Omnipotent being who created them and has granted them free will. Maybe you have some different information I should know about concerning this God thing?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153152 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I'll be to concern over getting my ass whipped by an imaginary thingy!!! Is that the same as having the Troll come up from under the bride and eat me?
bohart

White Pine, TN

#153153 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Define:
"happiness"
"fairness"
As you claim there is only subjective morality, please explain why you make appeals to absolutely moral standards like:
"happiness"
"fairness"
You see, you have been caught in the cookie jar here.
You are denying absolute moral truth, whilst appealing to it, to make your case.
Revealing that your anti-theist position is in fact illogical and contradictory.
You prove yourself wrong...
All I have to do is point that out to you, in the hope you will start to think logically and turn to God, so He can help you think straight.
He would do well to read C.S. Lewis, he lives under a spiritual law of morality ,then denies it exists.

Lamar, CO

#153154 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I can only go by what the "experts" on the subject say. I have a complete lack of belief so I have to abdicate to those who are experts in the field, same as I do for science. I guess that the way it works, we can't all know everything. People come to be and ask my expert advice, or seek information, i do the same. This is the doctrine that most Theists swear by, an Omniscient, Omnipotent being who created them and has granted them free will. Maybe you have some different information I should know about concerning this God thing?
You follow the herd, or you follow your own path.

You will know the truth a couple minutes after your heart stops.

In the meantime, why do you feel so compelled to tell others they are wrong? 7 billion is over 200 years worth of seconds. That is just the people alive today. Why do you think the vast majority of them choose to believe in a deity? I will guarantee a large portion of them were more intelligent or educated than you think you are.

Lamar, CO

#153155 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think I'll be to concern over getting my ass whipped by an imaginary thingy!!! Is that the same as having the Troll come up from under the bride and eat me?
No, its not.

It's more like the gardener putting you in a pot or on the floor.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153156 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The laws of classical logic:
"The Law of Identity: Metaphysically, this law asserts that "A is A" or "anything is itself." For propositions: "If a proposition is true, then it is true."
The Law of the Excluded Middle: Metaphysically, this law asserts "anything is either A or not A." For propositions: "A proposition, such as P, is either true or false." We also refer to such statements as "tautologies"
The Law of Noncontradiction: Metaphysically, this law asserts:: "Nothing can be both A and not-A." For propositions: "A proposition, P, can not be both true and false." "
So an omnipotent entity would actually violate the laws of logic as there can be no entity either real or imagined which could make an object so big that even this being could not move it.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#153157 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You will know the truth a couple minutes after your heart stops.
So will you.

Boy won't you be disappointed, LOL....

Lamar, CO

#153158 Feb 10, 2013
Behind every pair of eyes you look into lies a soul. Physical bodies are just glorified filters and devices interfacing. What goes on behind the eyes has to go through that filter to express itself. There is complex linkage within that filter that can block that soul's expression, and affect the processing of what it receives. Things get mistranslated.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, but these Topix atheists don't seem to understand that. They are strictly cause and effect of the physical world. If they weren't told Stephen Hawkings was brilliant, they would hold him in much less regard because he can't communicate so well.

They have the same problem.

Lamar, CO

#153159 Feb 10, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>So will you.
Boy won't you be disappointed, LOL....
:-)

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#153160 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Behind every pair of eyes you look into lies a soul. Physical bodies are just glorified filters and devices interfacing. What goes on behind the eyes has to go through that filter to express itself. There is complex linkage within that filter that can block that soul's expression, and affect the processing of what it receives. Things get mistranslated.
You can't judge a book by it's cover, but these Topix atheists don't seem to understand that. They are strictly cause and effect of the physical world. If they weren't told Stephen Hawkings was brilliant, they would hold him in much less regard because he can't communicate so well.
They have the same problem.
Hey Dave,

It's almost spooky reading a post like this one.

It's almost as if you feel that you're in your deathbed.

Dude, one day at a time!!

Lamar, CO

#153161 Feb 10, 2013
Goodnight, everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Redeemed Jersey P... 996,561
Faculty of Dentistry, Dalhousie University Hal... 21 min Case File 1
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 40 min Grunt56 223,082
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 49 min science is god 88,515
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr PadMark 703,824
Are women from USA scared of marriage? 6 hr stupdwmen 20
Are Ukraine women naturally prideful? 6 hr stupdwmen 4