Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244640 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#152841 Feb 10, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to get some of you guys to actually think about religion and its inherent contradictions, instead of parroting religious dogma is nigh on impossible it seems...
Account for Truth.

No?

Didn't think so.

The most basic failing of atheism.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#152842 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
An appeal to an arbitrary biased authority...
That proves it.:-)
They point out some typical mistakes people make when talking about the 'Laws of Logic'. I notice that you make many of those mistakes yourself.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#152843 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I can plan. I can plan because I am intelligent.
But your plans won't work unless those virtual particles allow them. Random little buggers, ain't they?

Location hidden

#152844 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
To strike a spark requires substance and momentum.
You will get more light striking butter with a plastic knife than striking a standard Topix atheist's brain with reality.
Which of course the Bible states is the case.

This behaviour is to be expected.

Good job, because you would go mad if you did not know they are not capable of anything else, unless they repent and turn to God.

When the Bible states they cannot do anything other than suppress the truth, then it gets a little less frustrating.

They are singing the song they have no choice to sing.

They cannot escape it, only God can deliver them from it.

But as they are at war with God, it is a difficult situation for them to be recovered from.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#152845 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you state that any moral system is a failure, if you do not have a basis for defining morality?
Which you clearly do not...
It's a failure by YOUR BASIS. How many times do I have to tell you that?

You keep trying to pass the buck, but it won't work.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#152846 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<
You do it here, by insisting you have "a purpose", but you cannot ACCOUNT for why you would have a "purpose" when you are an smear on the windscreen of the universe...
I have a purpose because I can plan and I *decide for myself* what my purpose is. It is not a 'cosmic purpose', so being a 'smear' is irrelevant. I don't have an ego large enough to think that anything I do is relevant for the universe as a whole.
HOW DO YOU ACCOUNT FOR PURPOSE IN THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE?
Humans are intelligent and can plan. Their purpose is what they *decide* it is according to their plans. It is a local purpose, not a cosmic purpose. it is personal, having to do with their own plans.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#152847 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
But your plans won't work unless those virtual particles allow them. Random little buggers, ain't they?
I'm going to start ignoring you until you actually learn something and begin to make some sense.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#152848 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Account for Truth.
Truth is a simply a shortened form for 'how things are'. There is no 'accounting for truth'; if things were different, the truth would be different.

Location hidden

#152849 Feb 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
In this age of information sharing , morality is well defined by a worldwide set of definitions.
Long ago this was not possible , so morality was regional, or even dictated locally. In the end morality is defined by the consensus within a group. What the accepted terms of morality are, depends on the group defining them. So absolute morality would be what was decided by the largest set of people. But there could never be a true absolute morality, not as long as two sets exist.
Really.

So you are arguing that society at large has the consensus?

So during the dark ages, you would have been a practicing peasant farmer attending the local church because society dicated morality to you.

And you would have been morally bound to accept the world is flat.

Basically you are arguing that morality is an activity of the herd and wherever the herd goes, you are morally incumbant to follow...

And the only thing that defines your absolute morality is the herd you are born into.

So what makes one "herd" morally superior to another "herd"?

That is not a question you can answer I suspect...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#152850 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Account for Truth.
No?
Didn't think so.
The most basic failing of atheism.
Although they make a lot of noise, atheists have no proof and/or evidence demonstrating that atheism is accurate and correct. They have nothing. Zero. Game over.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#152851 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets test your claim:
Homosexuality is abominable, spiritually, socially and morally, this is absolutely true.
Now what is your reaction to my statement of truth?
To say you are wrong.
Have I "sinned" against humanism.:-)
Sin is a religious concept. Being wrong isn't a sin. It is simply being wrong.
Will the followers of humanism be offended at this statement and decree I deserve death?
No. They will either attempt to argue with you and hope you learn, or simply ignore you as a ranting fundy.
Will they count this as a moral "sin".
Again, sin is a religious concept. Yes, you are showing your lack of morals. We can hope you eventually learn how wrong you are.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#152852 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
And the present worldwide morality is defined by Christian ideals. A universal brotherhood of mankind and individual rights because it is "the right thing to do".
The Romans weren't too good at that until they got religion. You won't find such advanced much in any other religion, including those Eastern ones.
Jesus 1
Atheists 0

Hogwash.
The largest set is nondenominational.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.sht...

Location hidden

#152853 Feb 10, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
See, here's your problem.
You make these statements that are completely and wildly inaccurate and then base the rest of your argument on the belief that what you start with is true - which it isn't.
This is why everyone mocks you.
So then, if that is case, if you do the same, you should be mocked?

You obviously do not understand that every worldview is based on pre-suppositions.

That includes yours...

(arockdidit)

And those pre-suppositions are always assumed.

That being the case, all worldviews should be mocked perhaps?

Including yours?

You condemn yourself to be mocked...
Imhotep

Inverness, FL

#152854 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Define:
"happiness"
"fairness"
As you claim there is only subjective morality, please explain why you make appeals to absolutely moral standards like:
"happiness"
"fairness"
You see, you have been caught in the cookie jar here.
You are denying absolute moral truth, whilst appealing to it, to make your case.
Revealing that your anti-theist position is in fact illogical and contradictory.
You prove yourself wrong...
All I have to do is point that out to you, in the hope you will start to think logically and turn to God, so He can help you think straight.
He?
Who was his mother and father?
Were there any aunts, uncles and grandparents?

Philosophy has questions that may never be answered.
Religion has answers that may never be questioned.
Religions takes everything that your DNA naturally wants and makes it wrong.

;)

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#152855 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you are at war with this truth.
I deny it is a truth.
It is evident in your desire to have it removed from society.
Only in the way I want ignorance and superstition removed from society.
It is evident in your rage filled vitriolic attacks against those that do hold it.
The war is plain to see.
But the standards of truth, which are self evident, reveal you are on the wrong side in this matter...
Your 'self-evident truths' are mostly falsehoods. Perhaps if you pulled yourself out of your superstitious nonsense, you would see the errors you make. it is an end fervently to be desired.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#152856 Feb 10, 2013
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Although they make a lot of noise, atheists have no proof and/or evidence demonstrating that atheism is accurate and correct. They have nothing. Zero. Game over.
Atheism is the default position. Theists have the burden of proof to support their claims.

Location hidden

#152857 Feb 10, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn. If the truth (at least the version of the truth of which you are speaking) were, in fact, self evident, there would be no atheists.
However, not only is that truth NOT self evident, it does not exist. Your religion itself says as much as it is completely based on faith. Not facts, faith.
There is not now, nor has there ever been any proof of any god's existence.
Not at all.

Christianity expects atheism.

In fact it even prophecies the modern rise of atheism.

So your premises are totally unsound.

Location hidden

#152858 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I can plan. I can plan because I am intelligent.
Yes, I understand your arbitrary claim:

I purpose, because I purpose.

But for that claim to be valid, you have to be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.

You see any absolute truth claim, has to be made under those conditions.

And as it is clear you are none of the above, your claim falls flat rather quickly.

Location hidden

#152859 Feb 10, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
If god's existence is self evident then why do you need faith?
Good question, you are starting to think now.

Define "faith", that definition will help you answer the question.

But you will have to abandon your pre-suppositions, so that you do not presuppose it to mean what you have already decided it means...

Which would be a very subtle form of equivocation.

Location hidden

#152860 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. It is far from being self-evident. In fact, it is most likely false.
<quoted text>
Which is observation of the universe.
<quoted text>
Your claim. No proof.
The First Cause, caused.

That is self evident.

All mankind, using logic and reason, must come to that simple conclusion.

The only way out of that is to deny logic and reason, which is self refuting...

The truth is self evident, and the contrary is absurd, supporting the fact the truth is self evident.

Do you understand the argument?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate 5 min ChristineM 1,898
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min It aint necessari... 863,669
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Pegasus 272,398
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 31 min Halle Berry Sister 2,762
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 34 min dollarsbill 6,336
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 37 min RiccardoFire 40,843
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 38 min andet1987 6,287
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Tony17 599,312
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 612,885
More from around the web