Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152626 Feb 9, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Despite the odd f**k up like you, we do OK.
<quoted text>
Dave's OK.

Just sayin

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#152627 Feb 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave's OK.
Just sayin
Just point and unhook the leash.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152628 Feb 9, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You may find solace in the fact that you are so short on proof of god, that you are practically invisible.
Where's your proof?

Southern Illinois

#152629 Feb 9, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
Oh! and by the way Napoleon was short.
No sh*t Einstein, you are brilliant.

Southern Illinois

#152630 Feb 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Certainly not but it seems you are confessing what you did as a child.
<quoted text>
Itís pretty evident that you are a sadist by what you have written. You seem to enjoy being abusive and cruel. By your reaction to my comments we must have struck a chord with you.

Thatís good because your behavior is anti social and not considered normal by no means. This sadism is something Jeffery Dahmer had and other mass murders including BTK.

The recent case of this man taking a kid hostage after murdering his bus driver. Then keeping this 5 year old hostage in a bunker is also another example of sadism. The man had reported beat one of the neighbors dog to death with a pipe.

Anti social behavior is not good, not at all. You have some real deep seated issues and you need to get help. I have no way to know if you have harmed others in a physical sense. If you have you need to turn yourself in.

Southern Illinois

#152631 Feb 9, 2013
Sadists like to inflict pain because they find suffering, both corporeal and psychological, amusing. They torture animals and people because, to them, the sights and sounds of a creature writhing in agony are hilarious and pleasurable. Sadists go to great lengths to hurt others: they lie, deceive, commit crimes, and even make personal sacrifices merely so as to enjoy the cathartic moment of witnessing someone else's misery.

Sadists are masters of abuse by proxy and ambient abuse. They terrorize and intimidate even their nearest and dearest into doing their bidding. They create an aura and atmosphere of unmitigated yet diffuse dread and consternation. This they achieve by promulgating complex "rules of the house" that restrict the autonomy of their dependants (spouses, children, employees, patients, clients, etc.). They have the final word and are the ultimate law. They must be obeyed, no matter how arbitrary and senseless are their rulings and decisions.

Most sadists are fascinated by gore and violence. They are vicarious serial killers: they channel their homicidal urges in socially acceptable ways by "studying" and admiring historical figures such as Hitler, for instance. They love guns and other weapons, are fascinated by death, torture, and martial arts in all their forms.

http://www.healthyplace.com/personality-disor...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#152632 Feb 9, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an American a**hole. I donít care for Europe and neither did my ancestors. Thatís why they left the damn place and came to America. Europe can deal with their own dismal history.
You are an a**hole! Finally, we agree on something!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#152633 Feb 9, 2013
bigtruths wrote:
i no longer have actual faith in my religion I believe it like the guy who wrongly asked god to give him powers simon..
because I have physical tangible reproducible proof..
prayer doesn't work but doing stuff to or for people that way God prolongs your life span to fulfill his prophecies is a complete reality..
prayer was never meant to work the bible said do not pray because God already knows what you want..
Why would jesus say this then?

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#152634 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>No I do not have your belief in god, bring him over so that I can believe it is real. Until then between us , it is your belief alone.
You can't answer this question?

Do You believe there is no God or gods?

If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?

You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.

Sorry but you lose.

Location hidden

#152635 Feb 9, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Hint, creation websites are full of BS. When you grow up you will come to realise this.
Just call me Pan!

Peter Pan.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152636 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you lose.
I do not believe in gods you do.
You tell me there are a god , I don't believe you.
You cant bring one for us to see, so I think you are crazy.
You believe in god, I don't have this belief.

Since you can't show me this god I not only think you are crazy,but I think you are stupid too. For believing in invisible things you have no ability to see touch taste or smell.

Location hidden

#152637 Feb 9, 2013
Does that answer your stupid question?

Location hidden

#152638 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Dictionaries are fantastic tools, as long as you know how to use them. I won't be exampling the words - "religion" or "faith" - since they do not apply to atheism, as you'll see.

I'm going to look at the word meaning for - atheism - since that's what is in dispute here. I'll be using the Merriam-Webster definitions, too, like you did, no?

Let's look....

Definition of ATHEISM
1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Origin of ATHEISM
Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a-+ theos god
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ath...

You said you used Merriam-Webster for the definitions you supplied? This is what you supplied.

Langoliers wrote: Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Imagine that. The definition you supplied, and that you said came from Merriam-Webster doesn't match. Let's look at this word from Merriam Webster.

You might be unaware of what it means.

Definition of DECEITFUL
: having a tendency or disposition to deceive:
a : not honest <a deceitful child>
b : deceptive, misleading <deceitful advertising>

Synonyms: crooked, fraudulent, defrauding, dishonest, double-dealing, false

^^^ That^^^ is^^^what^^^deceitful^^^means^ ^^.

Anyway, let's continue. Did you notice that the word from Merriam-Webster used the word - disbelief - in defining atheism? Disbelief is key to understanding what atheism means, and is used in defining atheism in Merriam-Webster for obvious reasons. We should look at that word in more depth.

Definition of DISBELIEF
: the act of disbelieving : mental rejection of something as untrue

Examples of DISBELIEF
She stared at him in utter disbelief.
<their story explaining their absence was met with frank disbelief>

Synonyms: incredulity, nonbelief, unbelief

Related Words: discredit, distrust, doubt, mistrust, skepticism, suspicion, uncertainty; denial, rejection, repudiation, unfaith
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis...

Notice it uses "nonbelief" and "unbelief" as synonyms, and also related words are "rejection" and "unfaith". Huh ... nonbelief and unfaith are related to - disbelief. That rules out religion or faith being a component of - atheism.

I figured we should probably look at the root meaning for the prefix - dis. This will clarify - disbelief - even further, and, what the fnck, I've got 4000 characters to burn here.

Plus, you said :
Langoliers wrote, " LOL. You'll have to do better then that."

*Then*, I guess I must, yes?

Continuing.

dis-/ not, not any / disbelief, discomfort, discredit, disrepair, disrespect
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0907036.html
^^^Look^^^ at^^^ that^^^.

It means - not, not any. So, when you combine the prefix "dis", with "belief", you get, in an actual meaning, not metaphorical, allegorical, simile or parable.....

...NOT - BELIEF, NOT ANY - BELIEF.

BTW the root meaning for "a" is not, without.

So, atheism means - NOT THEISM, WITHOUT THEISM.

One last definition from Merriam-Webster - the dictionary that you prefer.
http://tinyurl.com/6f8ghk
I think it and "deceitful" applies to you in this instance.

Using Merriam-Webster to define the word, it's clear - atheism - isn't a belief, faith, or religion.
Merriam-Webster

Atheist not atheism.
Pay attention.

athe¬∑ist\ňąńĀ-thńď-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

Location hidden

#152639 Feb 9, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>Why would jesus say this then?

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
Key point that you do not understand

"any thing in my name"

You only ask in your name.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152640 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but you lose.
Catcher white sheet has been drawn.

You no longer exist.

Location hidden

#152641 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>I do not believe in gods you do.
You tell me there are a god , I don't believe you.
You cant bring one for us to see, so I think you are crazy.
You believe in god, I don't have this belief.

Since you can't show me this god I not only think you are crazy,but I think you are stupid too. For believing in invisible things you have no ability to see touch taste or smell.
Still You can't answer this question?

Sorry but you lose.

Location hidden

#152642 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Does that answer your stupid question?
No but nice dancing.
My question requires only a yes or no for an answer not a page of explanation in an attempt to avoid the trap that lays in wait for you. You have proven your positive assertion many times over.

Sorry but you lose.

Location hidden

#152643 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Still You can't answer this question?
Sorry but you lose.
Fundy logic doesn't equate to normal reality.
You said there is a god, now prove it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#152644 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Fundy logic doesn't equate to normal reality.
You said there is a god, now prove it.
LOL!!

Orrie don't believe nuttin'.

Langoliers doesn't realize he is talking to a fence post, does he?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#152645 Feb 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Catcher white sheet has been drawn.

You no longer exist.
Well, it's about time.

He's been really annoyingly stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min lil whispers 605,025
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min NEWS-FLASH 175,652
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Rick in Kansas 265,152
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Hidingfromyou 775,363
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Michael 559,514
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 17 min Marty Fong 17
Restaurant Service - Condiments 25 min Springs1 1
More from around the web