Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152570 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Do You believe there is no God or gods?
If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth? You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods.
The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you lose.
I don't have your belief.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152571 Feb 8, 2013
tabby wrote:
<quoted text>
“This hill, though high, I covet to ascend;
The difficulty will not me offend.
For I perceive the way to life lies here.
Come, pluck up, heart; let's neither faint nor fear.
Better, though difficult, the right way to go,
Than wrong, though easy, where the end is woe.”
- John Bunyan
"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so
is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
A sudden little river cross’d my path
As unexpected as a serpent comes.
No sluggish tide congenial to the glooms;
This, as it froth’d by, might have been a bath
For the fiend’s glowing hoof—to see the wrath
Of its black eddy bespate with flakes and spumes.

So petty yet so spiteful All along,
Low scrubby alders kneel’d down over it;
Drench’d willows flung them headlong in a fit
Of mute despair, a suicidal throng:
The river which had done them all the wrong,
Whate’er that was, roll’d by, deterr’d no whit.

~ Robert Browning

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152572 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
And then ask a stupid question like that?
So then you freely and openly admit that you can't answer his basic question, about how you would define a person that doesn't swallow childish superstitious bollocks like religious myths and fables?

OK, got it. Actually not surprised. Delusional people can't see their delusion. Hence the purpose of the delusion.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152573 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
No.
I was talking about you.
So you freely and openly admit that you were talking about someone you know nothing about? Right, got it.

Par for course for the religious who believe in made up man made stories eh?

Religion teaches that faith is necessary for salvation. Faith is irrational, in fact it is belief in the absence of or contrary to evidence. Therefore:&#8232;religion teaches that irrationality is rewarded.
Imhotep

United States

#152574 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The Topix atheist pattern of demonizing the more than overwhelming majority of the world's belief systems, their special knowledge and insight coupled with their need to proselytize, while doing that demonizing, along with logical thinking they present not of the caliber they advertise, their almost universal reading the same identical script in their talking points, and propensity to be obnoxious rather than reasoned and rational is downright unsettling. Perhaps it is the concentration of them on forums like this that magnifies the threat they are.
Weird.
I think I may indulge myself and have a nightmare where they take over the world.
Once the acid wears off, and your drug addled brain relaxes, God will bring another boost for you.

Say 1 our father, 29 Hail Marys, genuflect without passing gas, and you will receive a harvest!

Gods only trust atheists. We ignore them so they know we won't lie. In their estimation Lucifer already has us, so having rejected them, they find solace in listening to our advise.

We told the Catholics Galileo was correct.
Sadly, with the Christian diminished capacity to reason, it took a few 100 years for them to understand and agree.

Satan is Gods only 'creation' success, everything else died.

And for a real guffaw...

Near-Record High See Religion Losing Influence in America

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145409/Near-Record...
Imhotep

United States

#152575 Feb 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
A sudden little river cross’d my path
As unexpected as a serpent comes.
No sluggish tide congenial to the glooms;
This, as it froth’d by, might have been a bath
For the fiend’s glowing hoof—to see the wrath
Of its black eddy bespate with flakes and spumes.
So petty yet so spiteful All along,
Low scrubby alders kneel’d down over it;
Drench’d willows flung them headlong in a fit
Of mute despair, a suicidal throng:
The river which had done them all the wrong,
Whate’er that was, roll’d by, deterr’d no whit.
~ Robert Browning
Pretty Good
The Osgood Files | 1986 | Charles Osgood

There once was a pretty good student

Who sat in a pretty good class

And was taught by a pretty good teacher

Who always let pretty good pass.

He wasn’t terrific at reading,

He wasn’t a whiz-bang at math,

But for him, education was leading

Straight down a pretty good path.

He didn’t find school too exciting,

But he wanted to do pretty well,

And he did have some trouble with writing

Since nobody taught him to spell.

When doing arithmetic problems,

Pretty good was regarded as fine.

5+5 needn’t always add up to be 10;

A pretty good answer was 9.

The pretty good class that he sat in

Was part of a pretty good school,

And the student was not an exception:

On the contrary, he was the rule.

The pretty good school that he went to

Was there in a pretty good town,

And nobody there seemed to notice

He could not tell a verb from a noun.

The pretty good student in fact was

Part of a pretty good mob.

And the first time he knew what he lacked was

When he looked for a pretty good job.

It was then, when he sought a position,

He discovered that life could be tough,

And he soon had a sneaking suspicion

Pretty good might not be good enough.

The pretty good town in our story

Was part of a pretty good state

Which had pretty good aspirations

And prayed for a pretty good fate.

There once was a pretty good nation

Pretty proud of the greatness it had,

Which learned much too late,

If you want to be great,

Pretty good is, in fact, pretty bad.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152576 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not much of an education you received I see. Not surprising Daffy after all the idiotic statements you have humiliated yourself with on here.
So next time you wish to discuss science or history you will be reminded Of your lack of education that is so atrocious you can't even state even basic knowledge of what the crusades are.
<quoted text>
Sadism.

I’m asking this to be cruel but trying to understand why you are so malevolent. When you were a child did you torture animals?

Southern Illinois

#152577 Feb 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you avoid the places that prove how bad your cult really is. That makes sense given that you suffer from the mental illness of faith.
I'm an American a**hole. I don’t care for Europe and neither did my ancestors. That’s why they left the damn place and came to America. Europe can deal with their own dismal history.

Southern Illinois

#152578 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I am honored to have this much power and control over you. Tell me Daffy you think the holocaust was the will of your dark Palestinian god because it helped reform the state of Israel yet you want to call others sadist?
You lie about Arabs going into your Dad's hospital room and converting him to believe in Allah. You said he was this brutal tyrant who crammed atheism down everyone's throat but later said he was a wonderful, sweet charming fellow who everyone adored. You think that a serpent and a homo erectus look alike.
Lol! Crazy old Daffy, always good for a laugh.
<quoted text>
If you have the funds to go the Philippines then you have the ability to go to a clinical physiologist and get treatment for sadism. You have mental anti social issues and treatment is available.

Southern Illinois

#152579 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I wonder how many hundreds of times you will repost this without a shred of reason why it is incorrect?
I know you are jealous but hey instead of making yourself look like a jackass go out and do some charity work yourself.
<quoted text>
Sadism.

I’m not asking this to be cruel but trying to understand why you are so malevolent. When you were a child did you torture animals?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#152580 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>And bald is a hair colour. Why do you insist on been stupid?
You referring to this article?

"Posted by derek4

"“Atheism:[is] a religion”

“Atheism is the belief that there is no god. According to the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

“Atheism is the position that affirms the non-existence of God. It proposes positive disbelief rather than mere suspension of belief.”

Buddhism is atheistic in the sense of denying that there is any overarching deity such as the Creator-God of the Bible. Atheism in the western sense excludes Buddhism, and adherents claim that it is not a religion. One Atheist said:

“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”

[Poster's insert: Above quote demonstrates the unoriginality of Hedonist's post which made the same statement, plagiarizing the author, since he linked to no source and dishonestly presented it as his own thought.]

text continues:

However, atheists make such claims so Atheism can avoid legal imperatives placed on religions in many countries, and can avoid some of the ideological hang-ups people have about “religion”. It also creates a false dichotomy between science (which they claim must be naturalistic and secular) and religion.

Atheism will be defined in the contemporary western sense: not just the lack of belief in a god, but the assertion about the non-existence of any gods, spirits, or divine or supernatural beings. Atheists in this sense are metaphysical naturalists, and as will be shown, they DO follow a religion.

Continued; (Conclusion:)

Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.

Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labeled as religions.

The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious worldviews.

Atheism shouldnÂ’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldnÂ’t be favoured by laws which imply a religiously neutral government."

http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion

Location hidden

#152581 Feb 8, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You are purposefully ignorant, to do so is a lie.
Ok so quoting Merriam-Webster is a lie?

LOL. You'll have to do better then that.

Location hidden

#152582 Feb 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have your belief.

If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?

You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.

Sorry but you lose.

Southern Illinois

#152583 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I am honored to have this much power and control over you. <quoted text>
Thank you for your comments. This gives me the opportunity to explain Sadism. And how it blends in with other personality disorders. The following reference is from Wiki:

Sadism is a behavioral disorder characterized by a callous, vicious, manipulative, and degrading behavior expressed towards other people. To date, the exact cause of sadism is not known clearly. However, many theories have been given to explain the possible reasons underlying the development of a sadistic personality in an individual.

Sadism involves gaining pleasure from seeing others undergo pain or discomfort. The Opponent-Process Theory explains the way in which individuals not only display, but also take enjoyment in committing sadistic acts. Individuals possessing sadistic personalities display recurrent cruel behavior and aggression. Sadism can also include the use of physical and emotional cruelty, purposefully manipulating others through the use of fear, and a preoccupation with violence.
While some sadistic individuals do gain pleasure in imposing pain and suffering upon others, sadism does not always involve the use of physical aggression or violence. More often, sadistic individuals express aggressive social behaviors and enjoy publicly humiliating others in order to achieve a sense of power over them.

Sadistic Personality Disorder is often found to occur in unison with other personality disorders. In fact, studies have found that Sadistic Personality Disorder is the personality disorder with the highest level of comorbidity to other types of psychopathologic disorders. However, sadism has also been found in patients who do not display other forms of psychopathic disorders. One personality disorder that is oftentimes found to occur alongside Sadistic Personality disorder are Conduct Disorders. In addition, anti-social and narcissistic personality disorders are sometimes found in individuals diagnosed with Sadistic Personality Disorder. Other disorders that are also oftentimes found to exist with Sadistic Personality Disorder include Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorders, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Histrionic Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Self-Defeating Personality Disorder and Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder. Studies have found other types of illnesses, such as alcoholism, to have a high rate of comorbidity with Sadistic Personality Disorder.

Because of its high level of comorbidity with other disorders, researches have had some level of difficulty distinguishing Sadistic Personality Disorder from other forms of personality disorder. While Sadistic Personality Disorder itself is no longer included in the DSM, partially for this reason, other types of disorders involving sadism, such as sexual sadism, are still found in the DSM.

Most of these theories commonly point out the fact that sadism is mainly dependent on the upbringing of an individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadistic_persona...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152584 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an American a**hole. I don’t care for Europe and neither did my ancestors. That’s why they left the damn place and came to America. Europe can deal with their own dismal history.
Hahahahahahaha

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152585 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?
You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you lose.
No I do not have your belief in god, bring him over so that I can believe it is real. Until then between us , it is your belief alone.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152586 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You referring to this article?
"Posted by derek4
"“Atheism:[is] a religion”
“Atheism is the belief that there is no god. According to the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
“Atheism is the position that affirms the non-existence of God. It proposes positive disbelief rather than mere suspension of belief.”
Buddhism is atheistic in the sense of denying that there is any overarching deity such as the Creator-God of the Bible. Atheism in the western sense excludes Buddhism, and adherents claim that it is not a religion. One Atheist said:
“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”
[Poster's insert: Above quote demonstrates the unoriginality of Hedonist's post which made the same statement, plagiarizing the author, since he linked to no source and dishonestly presented it as his own thought.]
text continues:
However, atheists make such claims so Atheism can avoid legal imperatives placed on religions in many countries, and can avoid some of the ideological hang-ups people have about “religion”. It also creates a false dichotomy between science (which they claim must be naturalistic and secular) and religion.
Atheism will be defined in the contemporary western sense: not just the lack of belief in a god, but the assertion about the non-existence of any gods, spirits, or divine or supernatural beings. Atheists in this sense are metaphysical naturalists, and as will be shown, they DO follow a religion.
Continued; (Conclusion:)
Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.
Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labeled as religions.
The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious worldviews.
Atheism shouldnÂ’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldnÂ’t be favoured by laws which imply a religiously neutral government."
http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion
Hint, creation websites are full of BS. When you grow up you will come to realise this.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152587 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an American a**hole.....
Yes you are.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152588 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your comments. This gives me the opportunity to explain Sadism. And how it blends in with other personality disorders. The following reference is from Wiki:
Sadism is a behavioral disorder characterized by a callous, vicious, manipulative, and degrading behavior expressed towards other people. To date, the exact cause of sadism is not known clearly. However, many theories have been given to explain the possible reasons underlying the development of a sadistic personality in an individual.
Sadism involves gaining pleasure from seeing others undergo pain or discomfort. The Opponent-Process Theory explains the way in which individuals not only display, but also take enjoyment in committing sadistic acts. Individuals possessing sadistic personalities display recurrent cruel behavior and aggression. Sadism can also include the use of physical and emotional cruelty, purposefully manipulating others through the use of fear, and a preoccupation with violence.
While some sadistic individuals do gain pleasure in imposing pain and suffering upon others, sadism does not always involve the use of physical aggression or violence. More often, sadistic individuals express aggressive social behaviors and enjoy publicly humiliating others in order to achieve a sense of power over them.
Sadistic Personality Disorder is often found to occur in unison with other personality disorders. In fact, studies have found that Sadistic Personality Disorder is the personality disorder with the highest level of comorbidity to other types of psychopathologic disorders. However, sadism has also been found in patients who do not display other forms of psychopathic disorders. One personality disorder that is oftentimes found to occur alongside Sadistic Personality disorder are Conduct Disorders. In addition, anti-social and narcissistic personality disorders are sometimes found in individuals diagnosed with Sadistic Personality Disorder. Other disorders that are also oftentimes found to exist with Sadistic Personality Disorder include Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorders, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Histrionic Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Self-Defeating Personality Disorder and Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder. Studies have found other types of illnesses, such as alcoholism, to have a high rate of comorbidity with Sadistic Personality Disorder.
Because of its high level of comorbidity with other disorders, researches have had some level of difficulty distinguishing Sadistic Personality Disorder from other forms of personality disorder. While Sadistic Personality Disorder itself is no longer included in the DSM, partially for this reason, other types of disorders involving sadism, such as sexual sadism, are still found in the DSM.
Most of these theories commonly point out the fact that sadism is mainly dependent on the upbringing of an individual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadistic_persona...
Sadism is the new word for the week and weak. Let's see how many time sadism can be used in the one sentence.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152589 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are.
Hey, where you been?

Eagle is lamer than ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 13 min AN NFL FAN 121,335
Save on another hosting account: Only $1/month ... 22 min top4hosting 2
Whatsapp group Hot n Sexy for guys and girls 23 min mahendra7788 46
How to Lose Weight - Don't Lose Your Sleep and ... 33 min maifran 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 55 min Wyle E Coyote 809,734
call this babe for a good time 01926492201 1 hr ttt 1
Koi gay sex ke liye hai Lucknow mien (Feb '14) 1 hr Raja 12
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 1 hr coco 204
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 574,078
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr mike 608,198