Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
146,481 - 146,500 of 226,039 Comments Last updated 41 min ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>There is plenty of empirical evidence, recorded in history.

Also the evidence is within you and around you, in all the laws that govern mind and matter.

The problem is not evidence, the problem is tha you do not want to be led down the path the evidence provides.

So you suppress the truth, so that you can continue in sin.
What evidence?

What sin?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Still avoiding the question, as to how you account for the absolute morality that you appeal to constantly and deny exist on the other hand I see.

Avoiding the question, does not mean you have presented an argument.

It just shows you do not have the courage to put your own worldview out there for examination.

But rather hide behind attacking others...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humani...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>What is humanism?

What is humanist, and what is not?

What did it arise from? How did it come into being?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humani...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the understanding.
The biggest issue is draining the tub, then stooping down and disassembling the control unit, after which I may get lucky and have a portion left to resurrect it, which I actually have little desire to do, as that sucker inhales HUGE quantities of my income.
I am considering becoming an atheist again, of the Topix science based type, and invoke Polymath's virtual particles to effect repairs in situ, which my decrepit old body would greatly appreciate, and if such did occur, will then apply such scientific principles to the repair and rehabilitation of said decrepit old body.
I feel your pain. Big hit on the gas bill.

I have a hot tub too. My problem is that the walls have 2" x 2" tiles attached, and the little tiles are starting to come unglued from the walls....

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

The very underpinnings of evolution is struggle and death. With the attendant varieties of application. Starvation, disease, and killing are vital and inescapable mechanisms of the process. Human cultures killing other human cultures is even part of that process. The culture is the basis of organization and survival of that group. Resistance to change is built into the evolutionary method as a way to maintain what was gained.

So man has been killing and mistreating man for a very long time. Evolutionary pressure caused such to happen.

But what do our brilliant Topix atheist purveyors of morality do?

They get on here and shriek "Goddidit".

Amazing, the intellectual heights they have achieved. I am sure they went to school for a very long time to get so smart.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Turkey wrote:
<quoted text>There is no decent discourse with an atheist. It will always end up with insults. Atheists are dishonest faithless and dogmatic to name a few. Pigeon chess masters. No believer should cast their pearls before all you atheist swine. You're only good for entertainment. All atheists have a grevious destiny. Topix Hatheists are a particularly absurd lot. Now get back to flailing and entertain me.
Project much?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I know what Humanism is. I'm a Humanist.

And I have iterated and reiterated the ideals and philosophies of Humanistic thought throughout these Atheism threads. More than once to you directly.

So obviously you don't really want to learn, you just want to play the troll game.

Look it up for yourself. Learn something for a change. Then try, oh please try, to actually come back with a question that shows you can learn something new and comprehend what Humanism is about, at least at a cursory level.
I heard that humanist were going to change there name to Apeshit.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

"What was that?" I inquired, without knowing what his answer would be.

"It was not true."

"But I still believe in Apollo," I exclaimed; "he is not dead, I know he is alive."

"Prove it," he said to me; then, pausing for a moment, "if you produce him," he said, "we shall all fall down and worship him. Produce Apollo and he shall be our god."

"Produce him!" I whispered to myself. "What blasphemy!" Then, taking heart, I told my guide how more than once I had felt Apollo's radiant presence in my heart, and told him of the immortal lines of Homer concerning the divine Apollo. "Do you doubt Homer?" I said to him;
"Homer, the inspired bard? Homer, whose inkwell was as big as the sea; whose imperishable page was Time? Homer, whose every word was a drop of light?" Then I proceeded to quote from Homer's _Iliad_, the Greek
Bible, worshipped by all the Hellenes as the rarest Manuscript between heaven and earth. I quoted his description of Apollo, than whose lyre nothing is more musical, than whose speech even honey is not sweeter.
I recited how his mother went from town to town to select a worthy place to give birth to the young god, son of Zeus, the Supreme Being, and how he was born and cradled amid the ministrations of all the goddesses, who bathed him in the running stream and fed him with
nectar and ambrosia from Olympus. Then I recited the lines which picture Apollo bursting his bands, leaping forth from his cradle, and spreading his wings like a swan, soaring sunward, declaring that he had come to announce to mortals the will of God. "Is it possible," I
asked, "that all this is pure fabrication, a fantasy of the brain, as unsubstantial as the air? No, no, Apollo is not an idol. He is a god, and the son of a god. The whole Greek world will bear me witness that I am telling the truth." Then I looked at my guide to see what impression this outburst of sincere enthusiasm had produced upon him, and I saw a cold smile upon his lips that cut me to the heart. It seemed as if he wished to say to me, "You poor deluded pagan! You are not intelligent enough to know that Homer was only a mortal after all, and that he was writing a play in which he manufactured the gods of whom he sang--that these gods existed only in his imagination, and that today they are as dead as is their inventor--the poet."

By this time we stood at the entrance of a large edifice which my guide said was "the House of God." As we walked in I saw innumerable little lights blinking and winking all over the spacious interior. There were, besides, pictures, altars and images all around me. The
air was heavy with incense; a number of men in gorgeous vestments were passing to and fro, bowing and kneeling before the various lights and images. The audience was upon its knees enveloped in silence--a silence so solemn that it awed me. Observing my anxiety to understand the meaning of all this, my guide took me aside and in a whisper told me that the people were celebrating the anniversary of the birthday of their beautiful Savior--Jesus, the Son of God.

"So was Apollo the son of God," I replied, thinking perhaps that after all we might find ourselves in agreement with one another.

"Forget Apollo," he said, with a suggestion of severity in his voice. "There is no such person. He was only an idol. If you were to search for Apollo in all the universe you would never find any one answering to his name or description. Jesus," he resumed, "is the Son of God. He came to our earth and was born of a virgin."

Again I was tempted to tell my guide that that was how Apollo became
incarnate; but I restrained myself.

"Then Jesus grew up to be a man," continued my guide, "performing unheard-of wonders, such as treading the seas, giving sight, hearing and speech to the blind, the deaf and the dumb, converting water into wine, feeding the multitudes miraculously, predicting coming events and resurrecting the dead."

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm sorry.
I thought you were iterating and reiterating the effects of mental disease.
I understand better, now. Thanks for the heads up.
Ad hominem is a sure sign that you have nothing on point and you're reduced to trying to get an emotional response.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a hot tub too. My problem is that the walls have 2" x 2" tiles attached, and the little tiles are starting to come unglued from the walls....
A bigger hit on electricity. 240v and 37 amp on this electric heater. The meter dial literally turns 70 plus times faster when it kicks in. Once it is up to temp it usually only runs for 30-60 seconds every half hour or so, but 24/7 that adds up.

Sounds like you have moisture getting under the tiles. In lieu of having it all redone, let it dry out, clean as good as you can, and use some silicone glue behind the loose ones. If you get it dried out try putting some wax or something over the tile to help keep the moisture out.

You ought to see the custom cover I made. The original was shot. This tub is in an eight foot square enclosure. Big tub. I made a frame of PVC, used plastic sheets and cheap tarps from WalMart wrapped around to enclose wall and heater duct insulation scraps I had. Works better than the original, and lots lighter. The frame is just outside the rim of the tub, so it seals real good. I use a couple of ropes and pulleys to raise and lower. No strain.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave can commiserate. It appears he's coming unglued as well.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
The Truth About Jesus Is He a Myth?
by Mangasar Magurditch Mangasarian
_By education most have been misled,
So they believe because they were so bred;
The priest continues what the nurse began,
And thus the child imposes on the man_.
DRYDEN.
PART I.
A PARABLE
I am today twenty-five hundred years old. I have been dead heard him? Have you touched him?"
"No," I said, in a low voice.
"Do you know of any one who has?"
I had to admit that I did not.
"
The ramblings of a incoherent mind by which interpreted means, blah, blah, blah, blah,…………

I found the garbled words to be meaningless and uninteresting. Stick to gun rats, you’re better at that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ad hominem is a sure sign that you have nothing on point and you're reduced to trying to get an emotional response.
Can humanism exist without humans?

When did humanism first appear?

Now, what is humanism, again?
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Treating others in the way you want to be treated is at humanism's core. No magic woo required.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What is humanism?
What is humanist, and what is not?
What did it arise from? How did it come into being?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave can commiserate. It appears he's coming unglued as well.
:-)

Perhaps you would be a nice girl and lick me and stick me together again?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
The very underpinnings of evolution is struggle and death. With the attendant varieties of application. Starvation, disease, and killing are vital and inescapable mechanisms of the process. Human cultures killing other human cultures is even part of that process. The culture is the basis of organization and survival of that group. Resistance to change is built into the evolutionary method as a way to maintain what was gained.
So man has been killing and mistreating man for a very long time. Evolutionary pressure caused such to happen.
But what do our brilliant Topix atheist purveyors of morality do?
They get on here and shriek "Goddidit".
Amazing, the intellectual heights they have achieved. I am sure they went to school for a very long time to get so smart.
I see you're serving up red herring today. Is that what the straw man is having, too?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Treating others in the way you want to be treated is at humanism's core. No magic woo required.
<quoted text>
Sure would be if you were fighting over the only meal available.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

"Of course, of your gods, too," he added, "it is claimed that they performed miracles, and of your oracles that they foretold the future, but there is this difference--the things related of your gods are a
fiction, the things told of Jesus are a fact, and the difference between Paganism and Christianity is the difference between fiction and fact."

Just then I heard a wave of murmur, like the rustling of leaves in a forest, sweep over the bowed audience. I turned about and unconsciously, my Greek curiosity impelling me, I pushed forward toward where the greater candle lights were blazing. I felt that perhaps the commotion in the house was the announcement that the God
Jesus was about to make his appearance, and I wanted to see him. I wanted to touch him, or, if the crowd were too large to allow me that privilege, I wanted, at least, to hear his voice. I, who had never seen a god, never touched one, never heard one speak, I who had
believed in Apollo without ever having known anything provable about him, I wanted to see the real God, Jesus.

But my guide placed his hand quickly upon my shoulder, and held me back.

"I want to see Jesus," I hastened, turning toward him. I said this reverently and in good faith. "Will he not be here this morning? Will he not speak to his worshippers?" I asked again. "Will he not permit them to touch him, to caress his hand, to clasp his divine feet, to inhale the ambrosial fragrance of his breath, to bask in the golden light of his eyes, to hear the music of his immaculate accents? Let me, too, see Jesus," I pleaded.

"You cannot see him," answered my guide, with a trace of embarrassment in his voice. "He does not show himself any more."

I was too much surprised at this to make any immediate reply.

"For the last two thousand years," my guide continued, "it has not pleased Jesus to show himself to any one; neither has he been heard from for the same number of years."

"For two thousand years no one has either seen or heard Jesus?" I asked, my eyes filled with wonder and my voice quivering with excitement.

"No," he answered.

"Would not that, then," I ventured to ask, impatiently, "make Jesus as much of an idol as Apollo? And are not these people on their knees before a god of whose existence they are as much in the dark as were
the Greeks of fair Apollo, and of whose past they have only rumors such as Homer reports of our Olympian gods--as idolatrous as the Athenians? What would you say," I asked my guide, "if I were to demand that you should produce Jesus and prove him to my eyes and ears as you have asked me to produce and prove Apollo? What is the difference between a ceremony performed in honor of Apollo and one performed in honor of Jesus, since it is as impossible to give oracular demonstration of the existence of the one as of the other? If Jesus is
alive and a god, and Apollo is an idol and dead, what is the evidence, since the one is as invisible, as inaccessible, and as unproducible as the other? And, if faith that Jesus is a god proves him a god, why will not faith in Apollo make him a god? But if worshipping Jesus, whom for the best part of the last two thousand years no man has seen, heard or touched; if building temples to him, burning incense upon his altars, bowing at his shrine and calling him "God," is not idolatry,
neither is it idolatry to kindle fire upon the luminous altars of the Greek Apollo,--God of the dawn, master of the enchanted lyre--he with the bow and arrow tipped with fire! I am not denying," I said, "that Jesus ever lived. He may have been alive two thousand years ago, but if he has not been heard from since, if the same thing that happened to the people living at the time he lived has happened to him, namely--if he is dead, then you are worshipping the dead, which fact stamps your religion as idolatrous."

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

And, then, remembering what he had said to me about the Greek mythology being beautiful but not true, I said to him: "Your temples are indeed gorgeous and costly; your music is grand; your altars are superb; your litany is exquisite; your chants are melting; your incense, and bells and flowers, your gold and silver vessels are all
in rare taste, and I dare say your dogmas are subtle and your preachers eloquent, but your religion has one fault--_it is not true_."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you're serving up red herring today. Is that what the straw man is having, too?
You are trying to deflect from the truth of my observation.

Your "humanism" is an invitation to predators and parasites without very strict and definitive controls. Until you have one culture, which will only be accomplished by force in this world, then you will have conflict.

Make sure your enemies are disarmed before letting them in for dinner.

Fuzzy thinking liberal Topix atheists. Dreamers without portfolio.

Show me some examples where peace and love and total trust occurred in the merging of large cultures without some violence happening.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min Senecus 599,703
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Joyful8118 732,207
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 25 min HipGnosis 173,227
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 29 min Pegasus 259,630
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 43 min yon 2,379
Gay Pakistani snapchat 46 min INDIAN LAD 30 LON... 3
Animal Crossing New Leaf Friend codes (Jun '13) 53 min Pixel love 156
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr seriously the ori... 538,356

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••