Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239524 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#151569 Feb 3, 2013

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

#151570 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
World War I - Religious?yes.
World War II- Religious?yes.
Korean War- Religious? yes.
Iraq War- Religious? yes.
American Revolution- Religious? yes.
War of 1812- Religious? yes.
War for Texas Independence- Religious? yes.
It looks like you have made some pretty exaggerated claims about nearly all wars are religious by nature.
Every war you mention did have a religious base. it may not have been your religion but it was some religion. dont believe me that's fine but the fact of the matter is that religion dose more harm then good and just reading the bible can show you that....

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#151571 Feb 3, 2013
trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
Every war you mention did have a religious base. it may not have been your religion but it was some religion. dont believe me that's fine but the fact of the matter is that religion dose more harm then good and just reading the bible can show you that....
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.

One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasn’t a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.

Riverside , CA

#151573 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.
One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasn’t a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.
From my history book ...

Serbians who were mistreated by the Austrian Government who enforced higher taxes to pay for churches. So Austria invaded Serbia angering other countries which turned into everyone picking sides and fighting each other. So technically religion was a root cause of World War 1. And World War 2 was also mainly caused by religion. Primarily Catholicism cause these wars.
Just like most wars, World War 1 was started by religion.
Plus there are many other country's that have wars that dont involve America that are mostly religious ....

Riverside , CA

#151574 Feb 3, 2013
And lets not forget that Adolf Hitler was a Roman Catholic and responsible for the holocaust. So one religion trying to take out another ....

Riverside , CA

#151576 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

And come on Iraq War not religious?
Although most americans see it as a fight for oil (witch we all know how that goes) Islams see it as an attack on their religion. 9/11 was a religish attack and it lead to the war. tarriest are radical Muslims that want to kill all Americans because we dont share there religious views...

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151577 Feb 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool.
I've seen that.
What's the climate there?
http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Nord-Tr%C3%B8nd...

:)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151578 Feb 4, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Eagle12 wrote:
My observations tell me that Atheism brings to a large portion bitterness, anger, mood swings, hostilities, sadness, spitefulness, oppression, depression, belligerency, atrociousness, close mindedness, hatefulness, twisting of facts, mendacious, bigotry and unhappiness to name a few.
Actually, as my post indicated, atheism is quite liberating:

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell." - Joseph Lewis
Eagle12 wrote:
There seems to be this raging inferno that burns so hot in some Atheist that the only peace they get on earth is to condemn people of faith.
I mostly condemn ideas like faith and dogma, and institutions like the church - not people. I have no issue with individual Christians as Christians. I consider you to be a victim of the church as well, even more so than unbelievers.
Eagle12 wrote:
Where is all this freedom your talking about? They don’t seem to have any peace. Why be so miserable?
I am very happy, and very grateful.
Eagle12 wrote:
Who in the hell wants to live like some of you Atheist? You are freaking miserable. Like a horse with a broken leg. It would be different if Atheist were happy and peaceful people but we see something different.
Ask us how we feel, don't tell us. Miserable people seek the solace of religion, which is why evangelists do so much better on Skid Row and Death Row than on Restaurant Row.

Fennario

#151579 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Condell
Good one.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151580 Feb 4, 2013
trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
And come on Iraq War not religious?
Although most americans see it as a fight for oil (witch we all know how that goes) Islams see it as an attack on their religion. 9/11 was a religish attack and it lead to the war. tarriest are radical Muslims that want to kill all Americans because we dont share there religious views...
George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq

Location hidden

#151581 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
Lol

Location hidden

#151582 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq
George Bush is an idiot, and an embarrassment to white people everywhere.

Fennario

#151583 Feb 4, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
let me name a moral action towards another human being that can only be done by person with out faith. I can't

Now let's both of us name a evil action towards another human being that can only be done by person of faith. The suicide bombers

If Atheism really brings a large portion of evil our answers would not be the same as the above.
Good argument.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion." – Nobelist Steven Weinberg
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151584 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
George Bush is an idiot, and an embarrassment to white people everywhere.
lol. No argument there. Same could be said for a lot of the political elite.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#151585 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts.
LOL

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151586 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.

One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasnÂ’t a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.
Pot, meet kettle.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151587 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
That's a cold day in Hell.

Fennario

#151588 Feb 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
The RCC has superb costumes, rituals and buildings that put the other cults to $hame..
Fabulous: http://bimshwel.com/yeep/pope-red.jpg [image]
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#151589 Feb 4, 2013
I've driven through Hell and onto the North Cape, hundreds of miles North of the Arctic Circle. Lovely part of the world.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a cold day in Hell.

Location hidden

#151590 Feb 4, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>lol. No argument there. Same could be said for a lot of the political elite.
LMAO! You ain't even lying. Billy Connolly once said of Ole W that the thing he found most disturbing about his inability to pronounce the word "nuclear" was the fact that he was sitting next to the button.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min River Tam 840,037
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min KayMarie 590,855
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 22 min RiccardoFire 470
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 271,408
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Jac 100,088
News Teacher back in class after Bush-Hitler comparison (Mar '06) 2 hr Swedenforever 137
Made as He!! ????? 2 hr Protester 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Truths 612,220
More from around the web