Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#151044 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I count 16 "I"'s
A "I'll" & several "me's"
Gotcha!
In Eagle's post? And I counted twice, just in case.

I included the I'll, but not the me's.

Only two in mine. Unless you count the mine.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#151045 Jan 30, 2013
American Dynasty: Fmr. Top Republican Strategist Discusses The Bush Family’s Rise To Power Since WWI
http://www.democracynow.org/2004/1/12/america ...

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#151046 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>I know you made this up KJV because Wikipedia doesn't sound so dyslexic like you do. Again agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms.

As usual you lied.
"Wikipedia doesn't sound so dyslexic like you do"

Wikipedia

Agnosticism

"HideDefining agnosticism"

Thomas Henry Huxley said:

Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle...Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable.[8]
Agnosticism often overlaps with other belief systems. Agnostic theists identify themselves both as agnostics and as followers of particular religions, viewing agnosticism as a framework for thinking about the nature of belief and their relation to revealed truths. Some nonreligious people, such as author Philip Pullman, identify as both agnostic and atheist.[9] In contrast, the philosopher William L. Rowe said that in the popular sense,

----------

an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively,

----------

and that in the strict sense agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of rationally justifying the belief that deities do, or do not, exist."

Proved you wrong yet again. This is getting old you're not much of challenge. All mouth and no brains.
Your BORING!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151047 Jan 30, 2013
ThePlayfulDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist.
Really? When, exactly did it do that? There has certainly been a lot of *speculation* about other dimensions, but (other than time being another dimension) no proof.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151048 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Of course it is. It isn't *conclusive* evidence of absence. The more you actually *look* for evidence don't see any, the stronger the evidence of absence.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#151049 Jan 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In Eagle's post? And I counted twice, just in case.
I included the I'll, but not the me's.
Only two in mine. Unless you count the mine.
No, in the other dudes post, the Liberty douche.
Imhotep

United States

#151050 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not argue a reason for your own morality.
You have just argued you do not like biblical morality, which was irrelevant to the point.
So I will ask you the same question again:
What is your absolute standard of morality upon which you base this claim?
I point to the eternal pre-existing all knowing absolutely moral God.
What do you point to, as an atheist, to support your claim?
I make no claim. You declare your diety as fact without a shred of evidence. I think 'true believers' are mentally unstable, filled wih fear of their own mortality and willing to abandon reason for fantasy.

There is NOTHING moral in slaughtering infants.
Read your Bible... Unfit for even children to read.

Your fabricated diety is rife with all 'too human' faults. You should find this rather odd... For a God!

Preaching creation science as an alternative to evolution is like parroting the stork theory as an alternative to human reproduction.

Then there is the problem of EVIL.
Tough one that!

Any diety worth it's salt should be able to prevent this... except ALL gods that have been conjured up have utterly failed in this endeavor.

it also indicates that you have accepted as 'truth'
that this God of yours will punish people for the "sin" of disbelief(Mark 16:16, John 16:9, John 3:18, John 3:36, Heb 3:12, 1 John 2:22), it means that you worship this God who will provide infinite punishment for finite sins, and it requires that you accept this God with the behavior of a manipulative, power hungry, tyrant, with a fetish for foreskins.

You have abandoned your mind to save your soul.

BTW
What does a soul smell like? What color is it?
Is there one in a Petrie dish somewhere? If so you could have a point.

Long Beach, CA

#151052 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, in the other dudes post, the Liberty douche.
Do you work near the Mission Inn?

It would be a great place for a splurgy lunch once in a while.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#151053 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.
Please excuse my dumbing down the argument with some of the posters here.
The morality that you use, cannot be accounted for with your professed worldview.
Now absolute morality, which we all appeal to instinctively, has to have a source.
God is that source.
I can admit that although I don't believe that to be true, it is possible that if there is a god... he could have given me this without my knowledge.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet atheists, whilst appealing to absolute moral positions, deny that absolute morality exists.
The tension then is a strange one.
Indicating contradictory beliefs.
The outward denial of absolute morality.
With the internal appeal to absolute morality.
This tension, which all atheists exhibit, clearly reveals an enmity between the two issues.
That friction, that enmity reveals something deeper, the internal war in the atheist on the issue of accepting Gods claims on them, especially moral claims.
It is these inconsistencies that reveal the larger battle is in fact taking place.
Now, not many atheists have the courage to actual admit that tension, let alone try to account for it.
Why?
I understand in a sense. We could say that killing is wrong, period! That seems absolute. To myself that does seem absolute... pretty clear and solid. God has this in his top 10 list.

I see a few possible problems... Are we obeying god? Or is it like you mentioned, instinctive?

Is it really this simple? What about in a hostage situation? I would imagine that if we are obeying god, there is no question here. Try hard to negotiate then clean up all of the bodies.

I admit I have purposely tried to leave morality alone because of how sticky the subject is but I was bothered when you tried telling me what I believe and called me a liar..... Congrats you got me to join the morality conversation! Lol.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they suppress that truth in unrighteousness.
How do I know that?
God, who is self attesting, and also the absolute standard of morality, has revealed it in the scripture.
The evidence for this however, is plain to see, when the atheists buttons are pressed on this issue...
All I can give you here is the possibility that although I do not believe in god, if he exists he could have given me moral instincts and either Satan or my limited intelligence has blocked the source.

I guarantee, however, that I am following a set of rules in a book i believe in.... and conveniently lie and pretend that i don't believe for the purpose of breaking those rules when i want to. This is as I mentioned before, nonsensical. If i believed... I would know that i would not be able to fool god.

I would hope you don't think we are all that stupid. ;-)

Location hidden

#151054 Jan 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is. It isn't *conclusive* evidence of absence. The more you actually *look* for evidence don't see any, the stronger the evidence of absence.
True. If you were actually looking for evidence of God, you would've found it by now like the rest of us.

But since you're not looking, you'll never find it.

Location hidden

#151055 Jan 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you work near the Mission Inn?
It would be a great place for a splurgy lunch once in a while.
No but my mom used to. It used robe a real dump but they fixed it up good.

It's a nice place now. Ever been there?

Location hidden

#151056 Jan 30, 2013
"used robe" should be "used to be"

DYAC!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#151057 Jan 30, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I guarantee, however, that I am following a set of rules in a book i believe in....
OK... lol... I have a typo that was not inspired by god. lol...*I am NOT following a set of rules...
Go ahead christians... poke fun. haha

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#151058 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I am especially proud of my volunteer work and donations to the humanist cause. Every year I go to the Philippines and spend thousands on food,water, clothing and medicine for the needy there. After a horrific typhoon and flooding there I was there amongst others 14 hours a day handing out supplies, giving life saving injections and treatments to those who lost their home. I stood and watched as homeless children lined up easily 3 miles deep for a package of crackers sandwich fruit and bottle of water. Unwanted children who were born because the Christian ran theocracy light government makes it nearly impossible for a woman to obtain birth control. My wife is in pre-med classes and wants to practice medicine there free to help those poor children. Here in the states I collect donations for running in marathons with the money going to children's charities and cancer or HIV awareness programs.
I have seen first hand time and time again the damage and heart breaking situations brought on by theists. The same theists who come crawling to us to help fix their mess! Oh but while we are fixing it are we thanked? Nope. We barely get the figurative broom in hand and they are shrieking at us for not believing in their imaginary friend.
Honor? I guess it is a relative term. The dozen of urban low income students I assist for free with their biology and pharmaceutical homework at two different colleges locally would probably say good ole KJ is an alright dude.
Now if coming on topix and giving the theists a little taste of backbone, the theists who try to intimidate and silence non believers because they think we should all be meek and humble and tolerate their abuse and repeated logical fallacies makes me vile, Without reason, Disrespectful, In someone's opinion? So be it, hmmm I will chuckle about how vile And disrespectful I am Friday at U of L for the 6 hours I am assisting the students there as a volunteer. Or perhaps this summer as I am passing out thousands of dollars worth of free medicine and other essentials trying to save some more homeless from dying. Yes I was walking by a group of people there and they were huddled together praying loudly and crying. I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water and rushing her to the hospital they stood there holding hands and praying! I grabbed my cell phone and called for an ambulance and started trying to get her to drink. Slowly she sipped the water as the praying continued. The ambulance came after almost an hour and reluctantly took her to the hospital, the paramedic said she was good as dead and best leave it in the hands of Jesus same thing the crowd thought. She died 18 hours later. They didn't even know her name and couldn't figure it out.
I guess I'll somehow deal with being called disrespectful.
<quoted text>
When I read this my first thought was, you gotta be sh*ting me.

I have heard one or two wild tales in my life but I’ll be damn if this one doesn’t beat all I have ever heard.

The problem I see with this post?

A benevolent person who would go across the globe to help people in dire need would act benevolent. The Philippines is made up by a majority Christians. No hate filled belligerent atheist is going to do that for Christians.

Of course like many post we can take it or leave it. No one says we’re forced to believe it. Going to keep this one in my achieves. And repost it from time to time so people can judge for themselves the credibility of “Givemeliberty.”

Point being no one and I do mean no one with that much hate and snarling criticism is that benevolent. Only an naïve mindless idiot would believe it.

“Givemeliberty,” who in fu** do you think your kidding?
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#151059 Jan 30, 2013
ThePlayfulDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist. Is it entirely un plausible that another group of entities perhaps live in these other dimensions? Perhaps our dimensions sometimes phase together very briefly and we see the remnants of another time and reality. We could see ourselves 10 years from now and then they could disappear in an instant. Paranormal things can be easily explained through science. Science is theory, I just gave you a theory, therefore it is Science. Don't believe in anything, always try to be open minded about everything. Belief is simply a tool used by those that can't think for themselves. Atheism, Christianity, Catholicism, They all rely on belief. Even Science is a belief system because it relies on it's one fundamental rule. "Everything can be understood and explained", unfortunately, everything cannot be explained and understood because new things are created every single second through evolution and environmental/geographical changes. There isn't enough time to study, understand and explain everything. Therefore Science is just the belief that everything can be, Atheism is the belief that there are no Gods, Christianity is the belief that Jesus died for their sins, whilst thousands of people stood by and let him get killed.. Yeah God sure wants to forget your sins when you let a Saint die! The fact is, If Gods do infact exist. They are not what people say they are, they are infact Aliens. From another world, time, place, existence. Belief is a flawed concept that all Humans embrace from a very young age. It is not "Human nature" it is taught to you by moronic parents, religious fanatics, schools. To be truly open minded you have to reject all of your preconceptions and embrace everything that there is to "know". After embracing everything around you, you have to then purge yourself of all the useless bullshit. Someone elses "opinion" for example, unless it uses correct logic and isn't based on their emotional disposition. None of you that are going to reply to this post will understand what true open mindedness is, None of you will ever achieve it and I frankly don't care. You're doomed by your own self righteous upbringing that you'll never change. It is not impossible to change this, you're just raised this way and then are too confident that it is "you". The people that understand the Truth beyond Truth, wont bother replying to this, they'll simply nod and then continue to lurk and laugh at the inane religious debates. Religion is made by man, it is a belief system. God has nothing to do with what Man makes, or what man claim. How can we win, when fools can be Kings.(8)~
whatever drugs they gave you

just say NO next time LOL

Long Beach, CA

#151060 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No but my mom used to. It used robe a real dump but they fixed it up good.
It's a nice place now. Ever been there?
Stayed at the Mission Inn, during Xmas season with all the beautiful lights. I had an incredible room, it's on the rooftop level, freestanding with a cupola roof. I ate in the bar-lounge area. You'd never know you were in Riverside, it could be New York or San Francisco or Europe.(No offense.) Hated to leave the next day....

Since: Mar 11

United States

#151061 Jan 30, 2013
Grampa Simpson seniles again.

Ever figure out what a deist is?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like you want to be a missionary when you grow up.

United States

#151062 Jan 30, 2013
If it makes you feel better have at it. My photo albums and friend lists on Facebook have a lot of great memories.

:)
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Add legend in own mind.

United States

#151063 Jan 30, 2013
No.

As usual you are wrong.

First you must demonstrate there is a god.
Then you demonstrate he is a moral god.
Then you must demonstrate he gave said morals to us.

You can't even accomplish step one and you refuse to speak about your god's morality when it is brought up thus you must not even believe it yourself.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case, how do you account for absolute morality?
God has supplied that, as can be evidenced in the fact that all mankind recognises it.
But how do you account for it, when you deny God?
Where does it come from?
bohart

Newport, TN

#151064 Jan 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless of course your looking for evidence of abiogenesis, then ,well we've only been looking for several decades, and though we have zero evidence, we're making progress ,right?

Hypocrite

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min It aint necessari... 740,079
gimmie shelter 14 min dirty white boy- 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min truth 543,045
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 24 min Edthirty 3,144
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 38 min KiMare 95,534
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 40 min Epiphany2 601,159
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min onemale 259,657
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 5 hr gangsxofxroses_andii 157
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr HipGnosis 173,812

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••