Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
145,081 - 145,100 of 224,163 Comments Last updated 11 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
She should be banned.
Many of them should be. They are quite guilty of practicing hate speech based solely upon religion.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, religion is religion. Superstition is superstition.
Religion is full of superstition: beliefs based on the supernatural or magic.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Good for you!
Ever try minding your own business?
I do mind my own business. Is participating in public forums an invasion of your, or anyone else's, privacy?

Frankly, in the instance of religion (or alternative medicine or psychic/medium conmen), it need to be confronted because it so often ends up in other people's business causing harm.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Dogma is principle set down as incontrovertibly true.
You're opinion that religion is the same thing as superstition IS dogma...
It's simply the definition of superstition.

Wikipedia's definition
a belief in supernatural causality

Merriam-Webster's definition
1a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

*a belief or practice resulting from trust in magic*

That doesn't describe religion?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
I am especially proud of my volunteer work and donations to the humanist cause. Every year I go to the Philippines and spend thousands on food,water, clothing and medicine for the needy there. After a horrific typhoon and flooding there I was there amongst others 14 hours a day handing out supplies, giving life saving injections and treatments to those who lost their home. I stood and watched as homeless children lined up easily 3 miles deep for a package of crackers sandwich fruit and bottle of water. Unwanted children who were born because the Christian ran theocracy light government makes it nearly impossible for a woman to obtain birth control. My wife is in pre-med classes and wants to practice medicine there free to help those poor children. Here in the states I collect donations for running in marathons with the money going to children's charities and cancer or HIV awareness programs.
I have seen first hand time and time again the damage and heart breaking situations brought on by theists. The same theists who come crawling to us to help fix their mess! Oh but while we are fixing it are we thanked? Nope. We barely get the figurative broom in hand and they are shrieking at us for not believing in their imaginary friend.
Honor? I guess it is a relative term. The dozen of urban low income students I assist for free with their biology and pharmaceutical homework at two different colleges locally would probably say good ole KJ is an alright dude.
Now if coming on topix and giving the theists a little taste of backbone, the theists who try to intimidate and silence non believers because they think we should all be meek and humble and tolerate their abuse and repeated logical fallacies makes me vile, Without reason, Disrespectful, In someone's opinion? So be it, hmmm I will chuckle about how vile And disrespectful I am Friday at U of L for the 6 hours I am assisting the students there as a volunteer. Or perhaps this summer as I am passing out thousands of dollars worth of free medicine and other essentials trying to save some more homeless from dying. Yes I was walking by a group of people there and they were huddled together praying loudly and crying. I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water and rushing her to the hospital they stood there holding hands and praying! I grabbed my cell phone and called for an ambulance and started trying to get her to drink. Slowly she sipped the water as the praying continued. The ambulance came after almost an hour and reluctantly took her to the hospital, the paramedic said she was good as dead and best leave it in the hands of Jesus same thing the crowd thought. She died 18 hours later. They didn't even know her name and couldn't figure it out.
I guess I'll somehow deal with being called disrespectful.
<quoted text>
Congratulations you have no less than 15 Is in your post. One would expect someone that is egotistical as your self to have twice that number.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then supply said evidence.
The absence of evidence for anything supernatural is the evidence it's superstition you doink and your silly humanoid sky fairy will remain a superstition until the day evidence presents itself.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
I am especially proud of my volunteer work and donations to the humanist cause. Every year I go to the Philippines and spend thousands on food,water, clothing and medicine for the needy there. After a horrific typhoon and flooding there I was there amongst others 14 hours a day handing out supplies, giving life saving injections and treatments to those who lost their home. I stood and watched as homeless children lined up easily 3 miles deep for a package of crackers sandwich fruit and bottle of water. Unwanted children who were born because the Christian ran theocracy light government makes it nearly impossible for a woman to obtain birth control. My wife is in pre-med classes and wants to practice medicine there free to help those poor children. Here in the states I collect donations for running in marathons with the money going to children's charities and cancer or HIV awareness programs.
I have seen first hand time and time again the damage and heart breaking situations brought on by theists. The same theists who come crawling to us to help fix their mess! Oh but while we are fixing it are we thanked? Nope. We barely get the figurative broom in hand and they are shrieking at us for not believing in their imaginary friend.
Honor? I guess it is a relative term. The dozen of urban low income students I assist for free with their biology and pharmaceutical homework at two different colleges locally would probably say good ole KJ is an alright dude.
Now if coming on topix and giving the theists a little taste of backbone, the theists who try to intimidate and silence non believers because they think we should all be meek and humble and tolerate their abuse and repeated logical fallacies makes me vile, Without reason, Disrespectful, In someone's opinion? So be it, hmmm I will chuckle about how vile And disrespectful I am Friday at U of L for the 6 hours I am assisting the students there as a volunteer. Or perhaps this summer as I am passing out thousands of dollars worth of free medicine and other essentials trying to save some more homeless from dying. Yes I was walking by a group of people there and they were huddled together praying loudly and crying. I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water and rushing her to the hospital they stood there holding hands and praying! I grabbed my cell phone and called for an ambulance and started trying to get her to drink. Slowly she sipped the water as the praying continued. The ambulance came after almost an hour and reluctantly took her to the hospital, the paramedic said she was good as dead and best leave it in the hands of Jesus same thing the crowd thought. She died 18 hours later. They didn't even know her name and couldn't figure it out.
I guess I'll somehow deal with being called disrespectful.
<quoted text>
Im an astronaut and spent three weeks living on mars. No one knows about it because it was a secret mission. I helped feed the Martians after a terrible storm. Working 18 hours a day none stop feeding the little Martian children. Im proud of the work I did there.

We had to take shovels and pick axes and carve out new living space for the Martians. It was tireless and exhausting work. The day I left the Martians said Eagle 12 is an alright dude. Of course I knew that already. I am one fine unselfish human being.

Every year I go back to Mars to help the Martian children with the school work. They named a school after me. It was the least they could do for all that I did for them.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-oh.
On Tuesdays, never get married nor take a trip (or begin something)?
[I'm putting it into Google]
"On Tuesday, neither get married nor you embark."
Hello! I am getting this.
Thanks.
Very good.

The superstition is that one should not get married, or commence a journey, on a Tuesday. So you shouldn't embark, on a trip.

And I have known people who would not take the chance. You don't have to be a Christian to believe silly things....

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, huh?
And here I thought you were a nice guy.
I can understand it if somebody doesn't like me.

Or agree with me.

But man, now I'm a threat to humanity. Everybody. Do you realize how many people that is? If I just had a dime for each one, I'd be richer than God.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
People representing faith that are continuously abusive come and go. Theyre never long term residences on this channel.
Residents, Eagle, not residences.

Residences are like addresses, your house, your city, your state. A resident is the person, the residence is the place.

Are you starting to get it?

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
She should be banned.
OK, here's a multiple choice test.

If she were to be banned, would she no longer be:

a) A residence

b) A resident

Take your time, Eagle.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of them should be. They are quite guilty of practicing hate speech based solely upon religion.
Dude, I'd sooner ban a poster who accused another poster of being a threat to humanity.

But I'm against censorship, so you're off the hook.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Im an astronaut and spent three weeks living on mars. No one knows about it because it was a secret mission. I helped feed the Martians after a terrible storm. Working 18 hours a day none stop feeding the little Martian children. Im proud of the work I did there.
We had to take shovels and pick axes and carve out new living space for the Martians. It was tireless and exhausting work. The day I left the Martians said Eagle 12 is an alright dude. Of course I knew that already. I am one fine unselfish human being.
Every year I go back to Mars to help the Martian children with the school work. They named a school after me. It was the least they could do for all that I did for them.
Nine I's, Eagle, and your post was much shorter than Givemeliberty's post.

Since: Jan 13

Gateshead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The absence of evidence for anything supernatural is the evidence it's superstition you doink and your silly humanoid sky fairy will remain a superstition until the day evidence presents itself.
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist. Is it entirely un plausible that another group of entities perhaps live in these other dimensions? Perhaps our dimensions sometimes phase together very briefly and we see the remnants of another time and reality. We could see ourselves 10 years from now and then they could disappear in an instant. Paranormal things can be easily explained through science. Science is theory, I just gave you a theory, therefore it is Science. Don't believe in anything, always try to be open minded about everything. Belief is simply a tool used by those that can't think for themselves. Atheism, Christianity, Catholicism, They all rely on belief. Even Science is a belief system because it relies on it's one fundamental rule. "Everything can be understood and explained", unfortunately, everything cannot be explained and understood because new things are created every single second through evolution and environmental/geographical changes. There isn't enough time to study, understand and explain everything. Therefore Science is just the belief that everything can be, Atheism is the belief that there are no Gods, Christianity is the belief that Jesus died for their sins, whilst thousands of people stood by and let him get killed.. Yeah God sure wants to forget your sins when you let a Saint die! The fact is, If Gods do infact exist. They are not what people say they are, they are infact Aliens. From another world, time, place, existence. Belief is a flawed concept that all Humans embrace from a very young age. It is not "Human nature" it is taught to you by moronic parents, religious fanatics, schools. To be truly open minded you have to reject all of your preconceptions and embrace everything that there is to "know". After embracing everything around you, you have to then purge yourself of all the useless bullshit. Someone elses "opinion" for example, unless it uses correct logic and isn't based on their emotional disposition. None of you that are going to reply to this post will understand what true open mindedness is, None of you will ever achieve it and I frankly don't care. You're doomed by your own self righteous upbringing that you'll never change. It is not impossible to change this, you're just raised this way and then are too confident that it is "you". The people that understand the Truth beyond Truth, wont bother replying to this, they'll simply nod and then continue to lurk and laugh at the inane religious debates. Religion is made by man, it is a belief system. God has nothing to do with what Man makes, or what man claim. How can we win, when fools can be Kings.(8)~
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

ThePlayfulDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist. Is it entirely un plausible that another group of entities perhaps live in these other dimensions? Perhaps our dimensions sometimes phase together very briefly and we see the remnants of another time and reality. We could see ourselves 10 years from now and then they could disappear in an instant. Paranormal things can be easily explained through science. Science is theory, I just gave you a theory, therefore it is Science. Don't believe in anything, always try to be open minded about everything. Belief is simply a tool used by those that can't think for themselves. Atheism, Christianity, Catholicism, They all rely on belief. Even Science is a belief system because it relies on it's one fundamental rule. "Everything can be understood and explained", unfortunately, everything cannot be explained and understood because new things are created every single second through evolution and environmental/geographical changes. There isn't enough time to study, understand and explain everything. Therefore Science is just the belief that everything can be, Atheism is the belief that there are no Gods, Christianity is the belief that Jesus died for their sins, whilst thousands of people stood by and let him get killed.. Yeah God sure wants to forget your sins when you let a Saint die! The fact is, If Gods do infact exist. They are not what people say they are, they are infact Aliens. From another world, time, place, existence. Belief is a flawed concept that all Humans embrace from a very young age. It is not "Human nature" it is taught to you by moronic parents, religious fanatics, schools. To be truly open minded you have to reject all of your preconceptions and embrace everything that there is to "know". After embracing everything around you, you have to then purge yourself of all the useless bullshit. Someone elses "opinion" for example, unless it uses correct logic and isn't based on their emotional disposition. None of you that are going to reply to this post will understand what true open mindedness is, None of you will ever achieve it and I frankly don't care. You're doomed by your own self righteous upbringing that you'll never change. It is not impossible to change this, you're just raised this way and then are too confident that it is "you". The people that understand the Truth beyond Truth, wont bother replying to this, they'll simply nod and then continue to lurk and laugh at the inane religious debates. Religion is made by man, it is a belief system. God has nothing to do with what Man makes, or what man claim. How can we win, when fools can be Kings.(8)~
Not evidence of absence, just evidence that the god idea is at this point in time nothing more than a silly unsupported superstition clung to by death deniers.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
The internal war here is between you and your straw men.
He doesn't even defeat the straw men most of the time.

I think "arockdidit" VS "goddidit" ends up in a draw.

<mtimber signs a no hostilities pact with straw men, meanwhile, the hay fighters move in attacking mtimber from their wagons>

Since: Jan 13

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Not to be rude, but the very question is ridiculous. It's like saying, "It takes a lot of faith to have no faith at all." It just doesn't make sense.

I would dare go so far as to say modern Atheism is the very antithesis of faith, requiring evidence before believing anything. This is where religion is left unarmed; there is no real evidence for any of them. Faith is required despite it's lack of reliability and substance.

I've heard it argued that faith itself is substance, that one's faith is evidence. This seems to me like nothing more than a way of perpetuating an idea, regardless of whether that idea is true.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The_Box wrote:
Religion is full of superstition: beliefs based on the supernatural or magic.
Christianity is based on historical records of Jesus Christ, not superstition.
I do mind my own business. Is participating in public forums an invasion of your, or anyone else's, privacy?
Frankly, in the instance of religion (or alternative medicine or psychic/medium conmen), it need to be confronted because it so often ends up in other people's business causing harm.
How do you know? I don't believe in psychics at all, but it makes some people feel good, feel positive. What's so bad about that?
It's simply the definition of superstition.
Wikipedia's definition
a belief in supernatural causality
Merriam-Webster's definition
1a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation
*a belief or practice resulting from trust in magic*
That doesn't describe religion?
Not Christianity, no.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you consider God to be a "silly humanoid sky fairy", you'll never understand Him.

Christians know that depiction is what atheists want to believe God is like.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>God predates humanity...

You seem to assumed that is not the case.
They are entertaining.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nine I's, Eagle, and your post was much shorter than Givemeliberty's post.
I count 16 "I"'s

A "I'll" & several "me's"

Gotcha!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Because agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms so a person can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist for example.

You Christholes sure do need this explained again and again and again.
Atheist is a Religion.

Religion

Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion

faith\ˈfāth\
noun

b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Atheism

Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.

Hence - Atheism = Religion

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

805 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min New Age Spiritual Leader 532,707
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min New Age Spiritual Leader 720,459
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 min blind man n the bleachers 599,078
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 23 min MASS 115,061
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Commander Bunny 256,481
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 29 min Lost In Transition 172,364
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 37 min Al Capone 3,952
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 1 hr bRB 74
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••