Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#150948 Jan 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Professing that we are just glorified circuitry being put to use by a higher form of life is based upon a 2000 year old National Enquirer?
Yeah, I can see a Topix atheist believing such. They all know we just got poofed here.w.
do they ?LOL

I see your stil DELUDED Dave!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#150949 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Because agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms so a person can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist for example.
You Christholes sure do need this explained again and again and again.
<quoted text>
Still sticking to the same argument in every post you make I see:

"Christians smell and I don't like them!"

You need to learn to think logically and argue your position.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150950 Jan 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Zeus is a god , it applies to him too.
It doesn't say prove there's a Jesus or YWHW .
Those are just your flavors.
No one is on there arguing about the existence of Zeus....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#150951 Jan 30, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Because the best way to fight superstition is to challenge it.
Are you challenging superstition or religion?

The latter seems more likely.

Unless of course you're out there arguing about the existence of ghosts....
It's not hard to see the difference here. Zeus-worship has no influence on our society whatsoever, while Christianity has a ton.
Those of us who believe its influence is negative are going to oppose it. Why would I spend any time opposing Zeus-worship when it's irrelevant?
Ah. So it's non-religious dogma you're after...

Good luck!

Location hidden

#150952 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Leaving aside your inability to answer questions...
My claim is factually based, welcome to reality. Unlike your so called bible absolute moral god, we modern secular humanists realize it is wrong to have slaves, instead of commanding it as your god did. We know it's wrong to storm a city kill all the men and boys, take a sword to every infant, rob every house and lastly round up and rape every woman before putting her to death saving only the young begin girls to be sex slaves as commanded by your absolute lol moral god. Even Paul and Jesus condoned and approved of slavery.
Now I know Hovind has taught you when people bring up the hideous morality of your so called absolute moral god that you are to say... No no that has no bearing on the conversation or we'll discuss that later right? Right?
Except it does. You can't in one minute say your god is this creator of absolute morality and then refuse to discuss his morals! Lmfao!
I can make my factual claim because it is reality and observably correct. You being a delusional victim of the church have been programmed to disagree and think the world is going to hell in a hand basket.
I enjoy reality and think the future is bright as more people leave your deluded way of thinking.
Secular humanist morality is by far superior to the so called godly morality of the bible.
Indisputable fact.
<quoted text>
You still have not grasped the point and I suspect you will not be able to, as you have been one of the least coherent atheists on here.

How do you ACCOUNT for the absolute moral standards you keep appealing to?

Where do you get that from?

Location hidden

#150953 Jan 30, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
there are no absolute moral standards! all moral is relative
So if your neighbour decides to steal your car, you are ok with that?
Pat

Granby, CT

#150954 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case, how do you account for absolute morality?
God has supplied that, as can be evidenced in the fact that all mankind recognises it.
But how do you account for it, when you deny God?
Where does it come from?
"In that case, how do you account for absolute morality?
God has supplied that.."

Proof of gods absolute morality - a bind retarded little girl with deformed limbs.

So was Mr. Morality unwilling or unable to prevent such terrible and unjust suffering? How do you account for being so stupid? Me thinks Mr. Morality loves stupid.

Confucius say you have very small noodle and no like to use it!

Location hidden

#150955 Jan 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a proven creationist with no proof of god, who lies about science. Why do you think your opinion even matters in this forum?
What do you hope to achieve here with such outright stupidity. I mean you deny fossil evidence for f*cks sake.
Do you know what the fossil evidence tells you?

Everything drowned...
Pat

Granby, CT

#150956 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Still sticking to the same argument in every post you make I see:
"Christians smell and I don't like them!"
You need to learn to think logically and argue your position.
I find it absolutely bizarre that theists can not grasp the difference between an agnostic and an atheist. Just more proof that god loves stupid.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#150957 Jan 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's because "[you] believe in God [and] don't believe that Zeus is real." If you all convert to Zeustianity and start interfering with our lives as Zeustians, we'll refocus our attention there.
Whatever.

I think you're lying.

You seem to have a personal vendetta against Christianity and ONLY Christianity.

Location hidden

#150958 Jan 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I do not deny possibility of god, but have found no better candidate than myself.
Does this mean you will worship me?
Or will I have to make you?
I refuse to to make you so...Here we are.
My will against yours..and.
I will win.
Are you omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and eternal?

Because you would need to be that, just to be equal with God.

How you will improve on that I don't know...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#150959 Jan 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-W0q4lZ2rloXX
The way to heaven
I'll build a stairway to heaven
I'll climb to the highest star
I'll build a stairway to heaven
Cause heaven is where you are.

Well a, well a, well a, over the rainbow
That's where I'm gonna climb
Way up high where the bluebirds fly
I'm gonna love you all the time

I'll build a stairway to heaven....
Pat

Granby, CT

#150960 Jan 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Professing that we are just glorified circuitry being put to use by a higher form of life is based upon a 2000 year old National Enquirer?
Yeah, I can see a Topix atheist believing such. They all know we just got poofed here. They are "real" thingies that arose from maybe a fog. Or maybe a particle. Maybe even a different dimension. Maybe a bunch of numbers had a party and created us. Maybe even we emerged out of total nothingness. But those atheist, they be real. And in the know.
NO, whe're just honest and will admit not knowing things that we don't know. You insecure theists can never do that. You need to cling to your fairytales because you are all a bunch of terrified death deniers.

Location hidden

#150961 Jan 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lack of understanding does not make a criticism. Yes, space is without a boundary. So the only boundaries to spacetime are at the beginning, and possibly at the end.
How do you know that space lacks a boundary?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#150962 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
When one reads Bibles, one is less surprised at what the Deity knows than at what He doesn't know.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
No one says he's an atheist, unless they don't know that he was a deist.
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain
I couldn't find that quote, it's likely a lie.

"In God We Trust." It is the choicest compliment that has ever been paid us, and the most gratifying to our feelings. It is simple, direct, gracefully phrased: it always sounds well In God We Trust. I don't believe it would sound any better if it were true. And in a measure it is true half the nation trusts in Him. That half has decided it."

On page 394.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150963 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The latter seems more likely.
Unless of course you're out there arguing about the existence of ghosts....
Religion is superstition.
I have also argued about ghosts, psychics, mediums, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, and other things that people support irrationally.
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ah. So it's non-religious dogma you're after...
Good luck!
We don't need more of any dogma. Ideas should be supported based on their soundness and the evidence that supports them.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#150964 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
You deny causality is required for the start of the universe, but then mention induction. Induction relies on causality...
Nope.

Causality is an induction - a conclusion drawn through induction by observing a constant correlation between prior events or conditions called causes, and subsequent ones call their effects.

Causality refers to relationships in the material world: This billiard ball caused that one to move.

Inductions are abstractions derived from observing collections of events and identifying their common or recurring qualities: billiard balls can cause inelastic collisions.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#150965 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, religion is merely a form of superstition.

Supernatural is supernatural.

You worship a god, some other guy doesn't travel on a Tuesday.

Hey IANS, this reminds me of another saying. Don't cheat:

El martes, ni te cases ni te embarques.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150966 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
God has supplied that, as can be evidenced in the fact that all mankind recognises it.
All mankind does not recognize a universal morality, so your argument fails from the start.

Location hidden

#150967 Jan 30, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that atheists live a life of killing, rape, lies, etc...?
Do I understand what you are asserting?
We really do believe in god because we are moral... but we pretend we don't believe so we can sin..........
I would love if you show me what i missed here because this sounds ridiculous.
I feel like a real world example of this would be like i am in a room with a police officer... and i want to steal a woman's purse... so although i see the cop staring at me. I pretend he is not there so i can steal the purse. I am also pretending jail doesn't exist because i don't want to go there?
Pardon the strange example. I hope i misunderstood.
I myself haven't made any claims of where i get my morals. That is your debate with others on here.
Your 'presupposition' that i am a liar is what bothers me.
How does the Bible 'clearly' show that i am lying?
I hope the answer doesn't express bigotry.
Ok.

Please excuse my dumbing down the argument with some of the posters here.

The morality that you use, cannot be accounted for with your professed worldview.

Now absolute morality, which we all appeal to instinctively, has to have a source.

God is that source.

Yet atheists, whilst appealing to absolute moral positions, deny that absolute morality exists.

The tension then is a strange one.

Indicating contradictory beliefs.

The outward denial of absolute morality.

With the internal appeal to absolute morality.

This tension, which all atheists exhibit, clearly reveals an enmity between the two issues.

That friction, that enmity reveals something deeper, the internal war in the atheist on the issue of accepting Gods claims on them, especially moral claims.

It is these inconsistencies that reveal the larger battle is in fact taking place.

Now, not many atheists have the courage to actual admit that tension, let alone try to account for it.

Why?

Because they suppress that truth in unrighteousness.

How do I know that?

God, who is self attesting, and also the absolute standard of morality, has revealed it in the scripture.

The evidence for this however, is plain to see, when the atheists buttons are pressed on this issue...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Rick in Kansas 265,009
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Aura Mytha 773,825
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Ink 558,968
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 15 min Concerned_American 2,421
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 33 min uMAkeWOrldPeaceUI... 175,536
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 33 min Peace_Warrior 604,786
Moses never existed 37 min paint happy 724
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Michael the Archa... 441,753
More from around the web