Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
144,261 - 144,280 of 224,078 Comments Last updated 9 min ago

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction
Now try real hard to think. You can do it.
Where does that interaction occur?
Within the atom?
Not necessarily.
What is the outermost force of the atom?
Not even a question that makes sense.
EM?
That and that force are related?
I think it says so.
That outermost force contains that innermost force? More or less?
Where are you getting 'outermost' and 'innermost' forces????
Or something like that.
or not. Wait, definitely not.
You are looking from the perspective of the atom working outwards instead of the other way around, which is the way modern physics says it works. Outside in.
What *are* you babbling about? Let's face it. You have NO idea how modern physics actually works. You have read a couple of popular articles and perhaps a wikipedia article that you didn't understand.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't.
Yes, actually, the idea of God is man-made.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think that migraines cannot be proved? They are physical processes *in the head* that can be verified by a number of different techniques. They also produce verifiable changes in the brain.
Do you really want to claim that your experience of a deity is similar in type to that of the experience of an emotion or a migraine? I thought you want to claim that a deity is something *outside* of yourself, not something internal.

He just proved to himself what we have been saying all along.
That god is a condition of the mind, just like a migraine or emotion.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think that migraines cannot be proved? They are physical processes *in the head* that can be verified by a number of different techniques. They also produce verifiable changes in the brain.
Do you really want to claim that your experience of a deity is similar in type to that of the experience of an emotion or a migraine? I thought you want to claim that a deity is something *outside* of yourself, not something internal.
“Things that are not proven but can be experienced are called delusions.”

Migraines can’t be proven but they can be experienced.

Back pain also can’t be proven but experienced.

Dreams can’t be proven but they’re experienced.

Your statement in itself is a delusion.

I don’t mean to sound offensive but your statement is not reality.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s truth in what you are saying. Many faiths that include idol worship is indeed man made. Throughout history mankind has reached out to a higher order but often created their own God and religion.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus said, or more accurately, was alleged to have said that he would return before all of his immediate associates had died. Jesus declared:
Matt 16:27-28
For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Obviously, all of his immediate associates "tasted death" and died long ago. Jesus did not return within the time frame that he promised he would.
The prophecy failed.
Christians will attempt to rationalize this problem away in all sorts of ways. They will claim that the Transfiguration was Jesus coming in his kingdom. They will also claim that the "spirit" of Jesus came at Pentecost to his apostles.
They will always claim that a skeptic can't read correctly. They will claim anything to avoid the problem that the prophecy failed.
There’s a inaccuracy in your statement. First you claim “all” the disciples then you give the scripture reference that says “some.” You contradicted yourself immensely.

There among the disciples that day when Jesus spoke was John. He is also known as John the revelator. It was on the island of Patmos when saw into the future of things to come. The prophecy did not fail but was fulfilled through John’s revelations.

I do thank you for pointing this out.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be correct if God was just an idea.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Things that are not proven but can be experienced are called delusions.”
Migraines can’t be proven but they can be experienced.
Back pain also can’t be proven but experienced.
Dreams can’t be proven but they’re experienced.
Your statement in itself is a delusion.
I don’t mean to sound offensive but your statement is not reality.
yes, each and every one of those things can, in fact, be proven.
We can look at neural activity and brain scans and prove that they exist. they are also *internal* states, not externally caused phenomena. Are you claiming that God is an internal state and not external to you?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s truth in what you are saying. Many faiths that include idol worship is indeed man made. Throughout history mankind has reached out to a higher order but often created their own God and religion.
Not often. Always.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I guess I am correct. There is no evidence that God is anything other than an idea inside the heads of believers.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't.
Correct!

God 2.0
Todays problems, yesterday's prayers.

Yes my slaves, prayers are delayed.

I am busy, Mohammad was having a emotional affair with Jesus. He is jealous of the recently discovered hidden wife.

And there are rumors circulating Joey Greco's 'Cheaters' is featuring this woman. Slaves have no shame.

Satan is my only 'creation' success..

Really, what is a god to do?

My slaves are rioting, my dilithium crystals have been depleted,

I desperately want another flood but can only afford Global warming.

Is it any mystery my name spelled backwards is Dog?

Mom could have done better!
'Sue' would be good.

Omg (dad) this one really makes me mad.

Which one of us do they mean?

I am the youngest, maybe Mohammad but he smells funny and I've repeatedly warned him about the odor of BBQ on his robes.

My problems are many my faithful slaves

Virtually everything I create... Dies!

Zeus is always teasing me, says I need 'The Force' and a more robust training schedule.
Other gods also torment me daily about this.

What do they think, I'm made of savoiurs?

You should see the road apples Pegasus drops <omg>

My Martyrs are busy with their virgins, the virgins have petitioned Aphrodite for a union.

It is chaos here my slaves :(

Toilets are backed up, waiting on Joe the Plummer.

Due to finances planned raptures must be suspended indefinitely.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't really remember.
Do you have anything that would jog my memory? It's getting fuzzy!
It's getting really really fuzzy. I think it's disappearing!
The secrets of the universe....just floating away!!!
NOOOOOOOO!! NO NO NO!! WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!!!!!

Should i get my belly dancing hip scarf on? It might just work, u know, help u focus!!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Until someone proves otherwise, your god (like all the other gods) IS just an idea....

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessarily.
<quoted text>
Not even a question that makes sense.
<quoted text>
Where are you getting 'outermost' and 'innermost' forces????
<quoted text>
or not. Wait, definitely not.
<quoted text>
What *are* you babbling about? Let's face it. You have NO idea how modern physics actually works. You have read a couple of popular articles and perhaps a wikipedia article that you didn't understand.
You do the babbling. You don't even understand the basic setup.

What is this "modern physics" you refer to? A glorified math game?

Youngblood, I have considerable experience in applied physics. I am the Jesus of the junkpile due to my ability to resurrect dead machines and objects. I have constructed structures over large distances with high degrees of accuracy, moved heavy objects in tight spaces where one misstep could do irreparable damage to my existence all by myself. I have played with fire since being a young boy, stripped engines, repaired and tuned electrical, electronic, and and mechanical devices by the hundreds, have considerable experience in ballistics, and just flat out have a high aptitude for understanding how things work. With some formal training thrown in.

Do you really, really think you have a better grasp of physics than I do?

Your experience seems to be reading and speculating on the micro, that which is beyond our vision. You are subscribing to a belief system. You are doing nothing more than any other religion.

That religion of yours started out observing the macro, the stuff I am quite familiar with, and deducing by effects what the micro is assumed to be, and how it is constructed. But it took a wrong turn some time back and became a religion of math, not of reality.

A neutral atom is supposed to exist all by itself. If it is charged it interacts with others. They are discrete energy transfer devices. By the proclamation of modern physics, they are all contained within a larger system of energy transfers. Their individual configuration is determined by the configuration of the whole.

You are spouting nonsense, small portions of the entire picture. You evidently don't know how to tie them all together. Like learning verses in Sunday School.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s a inaccuracy in your statement. First you claim “all” the disciples then you give the scripture reference that says “some.” You contradicted yourself immensely.
There among the disciples that day when Jesus spoke was John. He is also known as John the revelator. It was on the island of Patmos when saw into the future of things to come. The prophecy did not fail but was fulfilled through John’s revelations.
I do thank you for pointing this out.
Let's look at the facts. Jesus said absolutely nothing about the death he described in Matt 16:27-28 as being only a "spiritual death".

Jesus flatly declared, or more precisely, the unknown author of the Gospel of Matthew portrays Jesus as saying that some of his associates would not taste death before he came in his kingdom WITH angels and rewards.

The verses mean exactly what they say, and they say that some of the associates of Jesus would still be alive when he returned in his kingdom with angels and rewards.

The prophecy failed.

Prov 30:5-6
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Take heed Christian. Do not add to the words of God or manipulate his holy word to suit your needs.

Jesus has never come back to earth with angels and rewards and set up his kingdom within the time frame he said he would.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
Then I guess I am correct. There is no evidence that God is anything other than an idea inside the heads of believers.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, my friend.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's supposed to sound like I'm sick n tired of writing the same shit over & over for you people.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Just Think wrote:
Until someone proves otherwise, your god (like all the other gods) IS just an idea....
Well, at least you're acknowledging that someone might be able to scientifically prove the non-scientific realm...

That's a good start!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
Let's look at the facts. Jesus said absolutely nothing about the death he described in Matt 16:27-28 as being only a "spiritual death".
Jesus flatly declared, or more precisely, the unknown author of the Gospel of Matthew portrays Jesus as saying that some of his associates would not taste death before he came in his kingdom WITH angels and rewards.
The verses mean exactly what they say, and they say that some of the associates of Jesus would still be alive when he returned in his kingdom with angels and rewards.
The prophecy failed.
Silly.... Jesus still has about 2.2 billion "associates".....

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

NeuroRev wrote:
We could have millions of people screaming and chanting that the moon is made of cheese. This would be a mass spectacle, and it would be tempting to assume that because so many people believe it, it must be true... Even if 500 million or 2 billion people are simultaneously chanting and strongly believing this, it does not have any impact on reality. It simply distorts perception of reality, which most people get easily taken in by. All you would need to disprove this massive 2 billion strong delusion is a small moon rock that will fit on the palm of your hand. That's it. It is a sample from the moon. It is chemically and structurally compared to cheese and has no resemblance to it. Therefore the moon is not made of cheese. 2 billion people chanting and screaming "the moon is made of cheese! The moon is made of cheese! I believe the moon is made of cheese! We believe the moon is made of cheese! We believe it!!! We believe it!!!" means nothing and fails in any way to change reality. It is just a mass (2 billion strong) mega-delusion. The tiny moon rock is still closer to truth than 2 billion deluded screaming people...
I like cheese.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

585 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Joyful8118 720,428
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Holy dr Shrink 532,517
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 18 min An NFL Fan 115,024
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min WasteWater 256,431
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 23 min Holy dr Shrink 599,055
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 24 min WildWeirdWillie 172,292
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 51 min ChromiuMan 5,225
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 3 hr Helga 72
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••