Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,821 - 143,840 of 224,054 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
Is someone here asserting that humans have free will or that omniscience exists?
We can define omniscience in such a way that it would be compatible with free will, but they are both fictional concepts.
Whether or not the concepts are logically compatible depends on the definition of each concept. I could argue from either side as long as the concepts are well defined.
I think it would be more interesting to argue if either could exist, or do exist, and explain how.
Agreed. I don't know how it started but i saw the atheist side of the argument to be flawed from what i understand omniscience and free will to be. I believe in neither depending on how free will is defined

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be arguing that the concept is an impossibility?
No. You asked how the concept came about. I described the process. I also pointed out that whether it applies to the real world is another question.
Mind you, I am finding it difficult trying to get any sense of your own worldview as you seem to be contradicting yourself quite a lot.
If you think so, then you don't understand my world view.
Which displays that you do not have a rational worldview to argue from and have to keep jumping around to defend something that you cannot justify...
You haven't replied to any of my questions regarding *your* world view.

For example, you have used the concept of causality in your argument for the existence of a deity. Please define, precisely, what you mean by 'causality'. In particular, show why you think everything has a cause.

Second, we had a discussion about the 'law of non-contradiction'. I gave a precise statement of that law. Do you agree with my statement and the qualifications I made? If so, please feel free to use it to show the existence of your deity.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that was a factually correct remark. All arguments for god are arguments from ignorance for they are based not upon what you know (knowledge) but rather upon what you don't know (your ignorance).
Life is too complex, there must be a god = argument from ignorance.
Life must have a purpose therefore there must be a god = argument from ignorance.
Life could not have created itself = argument from ignorance.
All arguments for god are arguments from ignorance. God = your ignorance, nothing more.
All arguments against God are arguments from ignorance, for they are based on what you do not know...

I hope you can begin to see the nature of arbitrary claims and there total uselessness in discussion...

But let us deal with one of your premises here:

Life comes from non-life, if you don't accept this you are ignorant.

Isn't that an ignorant argument on your part to make?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Thinking wrote:
7 posts in a row gets you a "Cuntard of the Day" award.
Way to go cuntard!
<quoted text>
I see you are still arguing your own infallible arbitrary opinions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no evidence for god. You are a liar. God is still linked to the word faith and you know it so you can stop lying now.
Atheists and theists do not argue over the merits of believing in aliens on Pluto, or leprechauns. We rarely dispute what is or is not valid evidence for something outside the scope of religion (death denial). Theists prove every day that they can and do use normal reasoning. They can even serve on juries! It is ONLY in matters that conflict with the theists cherished death denial mythology that these disagreements arise. This clearly proves the hypocrisy and dishonesty of the theist, attempting to protect their cherished beliefs.
I understand your argument.

I disagree with you, therefore I am wrong.

But like I keep asking you:

Do you have a rational argument to present?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were not so insecure about your blind faith you would have no desire to project your stupid onto the atheist like this. All you can honestly say about every atheist is that they lack belief in god, that's it. Deep down you know you are living a lie and the atheist reminds you of that and you don't like it one bit.
Arbitrary appeal to your own authority.

Do you have a rational argument to present?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam and Eve? Give me a break! So what was the original sin, eating from the tree of knowledge or the planting of the tree there in the first place? Creating morally challenged imperfect humans only to deliberately tempt them so you can then punish the imperfect objects of your own creation is both evil, and sadistic.
Is there an intelligent man or woman now in the world who believes in the Garden of Eden story? If you find any man who believes it, strike his forehead and you will hear an echo. Something is for rent. Robert Green Ingersoll, "Orthodoxy" (1884)
The inspiration of the Bible depends upon the ignorance of the gentleman who reads it. Robert Green Ingersoll, speech (1881),
Really?

Upon what basis as an atheist, do you account for absolute moral laws like good and evil?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You can comprehend the process of abiogenesis or the idea of abiogenesis?
What, exactly, do you mean by this question? It is ambiguous.

Two possible interpretations:

1. Do you know the precise way that non-living things became living?
The answer to this is no. The evidence is not in and we have to wait for that evidence before forming a conclusion.

2. Is there anything self-contradictory about non-life producing life?
The answer to this is also no. Life is a complex collection of chemical reactions. NONE of the chemicals in a living thing are, themselves, alive. So non-life does, in fact, produce life.

3. Is there a reasonable path from non-life to life that can be outlined (even if the details are not known)?
The answer here is yes. And *this* is the subject of the study of abiogenesis. All that needs to happen is that the basic chemicals (which are known to have existed on the early earth) polymerize (a common process) and form a cyclic, stable, reproducing system.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
And what caused them?
A fish?
A blob?
A rock?
Their parents? Do you really need some instruction on basic biology? Or are you again attempting the 'first cause' argument?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>\
I'm confused here. Are you writing this down as it happens? Not sure if you're predicting or observing what's taking place a week in the future.
I don't think it matters. Being "god" is supposed to be "outside" of time... this gets sticky. I guess it is both. I'm not using my own beliefs here. I just find this argument to be problematic for atheists and think that showing the incompatibility of omniscient and omnipotent to hold more weight

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do have a rational basis.
That which was caused needs a cause...
Do you deny that obvious truth?
By definition, if something is caused, it has a cause. Now, make an argument that everything is caused. You might want to define exactly what it means to be 'caused'.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry Christine, it is a paradox and will always remain one. It could never be recreated and while we can surmise a thousand different way it could have happened. We will never really know. Because you stated it yourself.
10^-34th of a second following the start of the event. Prior to that time the very laws that enable us to understand this universe did not exist
The seed makes the root, the root makes the stalk, the stalk makes the branch, the branch makes the bud, the bud makes the fruit, the fruit makes the seed. All following the same laws. In a garden, or in the wild.

But none of them grow unless they get nourishment. Garden varieties are tended to, wild ones have to reach out for it.

There is a message in there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
“We don’t know exactly how it happened but it is certain that no god did it”
You have to admire the perverse adherence to illogical rationale...

Is it an incapability of most atheists to be able to spot the most basic logical fallacies?

Or is it when God is mentioned that logic is abandoned faster than a piranha infested swimming pool?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
Prior to that time the very laws that enable us to understand this universe did not exist
Really?

How do you know that?

You are very good at making unsupported truth claims...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
All arguments against God are arguments from ignorance, for they are based on what you do not know...
I hope you can begin to see the nature of arbitrary claims and there total uselessness in discussion...
But let us deal with one of your premises here:
Life comes from non-life, if you don't accept this you are ignorant.
Isn't that an ignorant argument on your part to make?
Either life has always existed, or there was a time when there was no life. Assuming that life was caused (a natural assumption because it isn't a quantum process), then the second case requires it to be caused by non-life. Next, the first case (that life has always existed) is untenable given the conditions of the early universe (very hot and dense, no atoms, etc) which did not allow the complex structures to form that are required by life.

Hence, at some point, non-life caused life.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do have a rational basis.
That which was caused needs a cause...
Do you deny that obvious truth?
That is an assumption not an explanation.
It is the same paradox , without a cause there could be no cause.
You exempt a causer as the cause.
That's called "special pleading", what makes your cause exempt from a cause? Special pleading does, and it's not an answer. It's a paradox. You call it eternal , which is just another way of saying infinite, but infinite is not rational , because infinite cannot exist in making a rational explanation.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Upon what basis as an atheist, do you account for absolute moral laws like good and evil?
I do not believe that moral 'laws' are absolute. I think they are specific to human beings (perhaps more generally, intelligent beings) and how they relate to each other.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to admire the perverse adherence to illogical rationale...
Is it an incapability of most atheists to be able to spot the most basic logical fallacies?
Or is it when God is mentioned that logic is abandoned faster than a piranha infested swimming pool?
Well, God believers certainly abandon logic at every opportunity to demonstrate their beliefs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it my free will to be born?
Was it my free will to be born in the 1960's?
Was it my free will to be born in Pittsburgh, PA?
Was it my free will to be born into the family that I was?
As a child, was it my free will to attend the church that I did?
As a child, was it my free will to attend the schools that I did?
Was it my free will to have the teachers that I had?
All these things greatly influenced my decisions; yet according to believers, your god arranged all that for me. That is not free will, that is programming.
I like this.

I am in a meetup atheist group in Pittsburgh. I've only been to one meetup though. I live a little less than 2 hours north of Pittsburgh

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You asked how the concept came about. I described the process. I also pointed out that whether it applies to the real world is another question.
<quoted text>
If you think so, then you don't understand my world view.
<quoted text>
You haven't replied to any of my questions regarding *your* world view.
For example, you have used the concept of causality in your argument for the existence of a deity. Please define, precisely, what you mean by 'causality'. In particular, show why you think everything has a cause.
Second, we had a discussion about the 'law of non-contradiction'. I gave a precise statement of that law. Do you agree with my statement and the qualifications I made? If so, please feel free to use it to show the existence of your deity.
1. Everything we observe in the universe has a cause, therefore everything has a cause.

It really is not that hard, basic empirical observation and science itself rests on this most basic of processes.

2. I am admittedly quite confused by your argument and not at all clear on where you stand.

Do you think the law of non-contradiction applies universally?

I am talking of the 1st law of logic here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

551 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 min Neelakaran 4,569
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min It aint necessarily so 720,329
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min RiccardoFire 93,664
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min June VanDerMark 532,479
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 14 min Hate troublemaking arabs 114,987
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 min Dr_Zorderz 256,405
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 20 min ChromiuMan 5,222
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 36 min Lyndi 172,284
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••