Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#149479 Jan 23, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means.
Linc, what happened to turn the other cheek ;)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#149480 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Real entities. But no definite positions or other properties. Instead probabilistic.
:-)
Sounds like the atheist reason for denying a deity. Something intangible that you can't possibly prove in this physical world.
What a hoot.
The difference is, of course, that this is part of one of the best predictive theories we have ever had. So, yes, you *can* prove this in the real world via observation and testing.
Lincoln

United States

#149481 Jan 23, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
quoting the poster...

Turning the other cheek is Christian ?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#149482 Jan 23, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
quoting the poster...
Turning the other cheek is Christian ?
Supposed to be, I thought.

GoMatt and GoLuke both mention it.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149483 Jan 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrisy does bother me, yes, and I agree with you, MLK was the real deal.
MLK was right, we should all be judged by our individual merits, not by our skin color and I am sure he would be ashamed of racist affirmative laws that judge people by race for it is this very behavior that he fought to abolish from our system. I believe he was the real deal in that sense, he felt that not only was racial discrimination against blacks was wrong but that racial discrimination itself was wrong. Aside from that, he was a god hustler selling false hope like any other god hustler does. He was also a plagiarizer and adulterer as well. His arguments for civil rights were valid but as an individual he was morally challenged.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#149484 Jan 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. has never used torture.
I wish we did.
As poster of the year would you tell me which atheists you would enjoy beating?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149485 Jan 23, 2013
There's a priest in it- occupying his Wall Street.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#149486 Jan 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is, of course, that this is part of one of the best predictive theories we have ever had. So, yes, you *can* prove this in the real world via observation and testing.
Under carefully contrived and controlled experiments?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149487 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. In experiments that easily *could* give results contrary to what QM predicts, the actual results agree with QM. That often involves very elaborate devices to detect the results. Sorry if that offends you.

But, the results of QM also work even in the 'wild'. It is at the heart of our understanding of solids, for example: why do metals conduct electricity bu elements like sulfur do not? How to atomic bonds form? Why do materials react to light the way they do?

Once again, quantum mechanics is part of the best predictive theory of physics we have ever had.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#149488 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Experiments carefully contrived and controlled so as to falsify, yes.

They don't.

Location hidden

#149489 Jan 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. In experiments that easily *could* give results contrary to what QM predicts, the actual results agree with QM. That often involves very elaborate devices to detect the results. Sorry if that offends you.
But, the results of QM also work even in the 'wild'. It is at the heart of our understanding of solids, for example: why do metals conduct electricity bu elements like sulfur do not? How to atomic bonds form? Why do materials react to light the way they do?
Once again, quantum mechanics is part of the best predictive theory of physics we have ever had.
How does QM disprove a deity or higher intelligence creating this existence we have?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#149490 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How does QM disprove a deity or higher intelligence creating this existence we have?
Cause the Bible or the Quran is really written by or inspired by a God, would have stuff brainy like QM, electricity, atoms, germs, bacteria, cures for cancer, etc.

Instead it is written exactly as you would expect by goat herders and fishermen of the 1st century ;)

Location hidden

#149491 Jan 23, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause the Bible or the Quran is really written by or inspired by a God, would have stuff brainy like QM, electricity, atoms, germs, bacteria, cures for cancer, etc.
Instead it is written exactly as you would expect by goat herders and fishermen of the 1st century ;)
Are your mental issues caused by God or QM?
Lincoln

United States

#149492 Jan 23, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Entertaining, if illogical...you move from one generalization to another.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#149493 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Are your mental issues caused by God or QM?
I dont have any mental issues. Thanks for the concern ;)

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149494 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't make any claim one way or the other about this. But it *does* show the faults of many of the arguments claiming to prove the existence of deities. For example, the 'first cause' argument assumes some things about causality that are known to be wrong. But that only shows the argument is fallacious, not that the conclusion is wrong.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#149495 Jan 23, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with omnipotence. It has to do with omniscience. If God know's what you're going to do before you do it you have no choice but to do it. If you have freewill, then God doesn't/can't know what you will do before you do it.
You're wrong. God knows all that you will, might or could do. That does not in any way mean He controls what you will, might or could do. He's the passenger, you're the driver.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149496 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So you're dishonest?
<quoted text>
No. I don't break the law. Simple.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149497 Jan 23, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Control through fear.
That is what religion is all about.
Sucker.
Then I'm doing it wrong. I don't fear God.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149499 Jan 23, 2013
You're simple and wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I don't break the law. Simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 554,906
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Stilgar Fifrawi 764,595
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 17 min mike 603,613
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 51 min Rick in Kansas 263,451
Moses never existed 51 min jjustice0981 558
Barack Obama's birth certificate: Where is trut... 1 hr Caesar 20
Blacks so Stupid to Burn they're own houses 2 hr yon 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 hr Catcher1 175,040

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE