Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#149458 Jan 22, 2013
Hey look! It's the retard who loved the TV miniseries the langoliers! He thinks because the same actor who played Balkie the Russian cousin on perfect strangers also plays Craig the character who mentions the langoliers that langoliers therefore must be a Russian word!

It's not.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!

Good logic there retard! Thanks for making us laugh at you!
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What bore you?
An ape? A chimp? A monkey? A tree?
Maybe a monkey in a tree?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149459 Jan 23, 2013
I don't need to do any of that batshit stuff you do to avoid hell.
I'm exercising my free will.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool.
Figure how to control your soul & you're good to go.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149460 Jan 23, 2013
So you're dishonest?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, that's right.
You said it's ok to break the law, so long as you turn yourself in afterward......
Ugh
UidotRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#149461 Jan 23, 2013
Poster Widereride is right as war mongeering US does torture! You smell like a Grunt... hypocrite much?
WHY YOU xTAIN fUNDIE , our AmeriKKKa sOLDIER BOYs LIED SO MUCH?

Amnesty International for World Human Right!

describing the torture suffered by Brazilians at the hands of the military and the US-run Office of Public Safety (OPS) in the 1960s

Tortures range from simple but brutal blows from a truncheon to electric shocks. Often the torture is more refined: the end of a reed is placed in the anus of a naked man hanging suspended downwards on the pau de arara [parrot's perch] and a piece of cotton soaked in petrol is lit at the other end of the reed. Pregnant women have been forced to watch their husbands being tortured. Other wives have been hung naked beside their husbands and given electric shocks on the sexual parts of their body, while subjected to the worst kind of obscenities. Children have been tortured before their parents and vice versa. The length of sessions depends upon the resistance capacity of the victims and have sometimes continued for days at a time.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. has never used torture.
I wish we did.
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Torture doesn't save lives. Torture just makes the person being tortured say or do anything to save themselves. It's well known within the intelligence community that torture is not an effective way to get valid information.
Moreover, torture just turns us as a society into something as bad as those we call our enemies. It's a perfect example of the ends not justifying the means. When our society condones things like torture, then it is no longer worthy of defending.
UidotRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#149462 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So you're dishonest?
<quoted text>
AmeriKKKA xtain fundie Grunts are mostly dishonest , lied for Corrupted Fascist AmeriKKKa.
UidotRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#149463 Jan 23, 2013
James Becket, American attorney, in Greece for Amnesty International

describing the torture suffered by Greeks under US-supported dictator Papdopoulos in the 1960s

"
People had been mercilessly tortured simply for being in possession of a leaflet criticizing the regime. Brutality and cruelty on one side, frustration and helplessness on the other. They were being tortured and there was nothing to be done. It was like listening to a friend who has cancer. What comfort, what wise reflection can someone who is comfortable give. Torture might last a short time, but the person will never be the same.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#149464 Jan 23, 2013
Looks like Buck is dreaming about men in silk underwear again. If you are missing your prison buddies just go visit them for more conjugal visits.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you like this, Silk Panty Boy?
In his inaugural speech, t.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Sweden

#149465 Jan 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. has never used torture.
I wish we did.
oh yes they use torture

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#149466 Jan 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>The U.S. has never used torture.

I wish we did.
Your naiveté is just too cute for words.

I think I'll start calling you Binky.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149467 Jan 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong and wrong.

Something that is all-powerful is not necessarily in control of everything. Something all-powerful has the power to decline control of anything or everything.

Free will and foreknowledge are compatible. Your mistake is the fallacy of misplaced causation.

You pretend to be fluent in philosophy, but you do it poorly.
At least he does it honestly.

You should try it sometime, binky.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149468 Jan 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>How do you like this, Silk Panty Boy?

In his inaugural speech, B. Hussein Obama characterized the struggle for freedom as moving from slavery with Lincoln, civil rights through Dr. King, to now the rights of gays to marry.

In 2008 he ran for president saying that "marriage is between one man and one woman", and opposed gay marriage.

But now portrays himself as a champion of that continual struggle for freedom, as if he's a link in the chain from Lincoln to King to now.

Does hypocrisy bother you? Did Dr. King oppose civil rights for blacks 4 years before the march in Selma Alabama?

No, Dr. King was an actual champion. Obama is an empty suit that happened to be black and articulate. The Chicago boy-hacks poured the rest into the empty vessel. The country bought it, and now we have it.

The first post-American president.
You confuse hypocrisy with growth, binky.

You should try it sometime.

Grow up, binky boy.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149469 Jan 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Read it again.

He said something all-powerful, "by definition", is in control of everything.

Your view of free-will and foreknowledge is simply wrong. It is the choice that determines the foreknowledge, not vice-versa. Time would not be linear to an all-knowing entity. If the choice were different, the foreknowledge would be different.
Got taps on those dancing shoes, binky?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149470 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. The Iain Banks thought experiment is only there to answer the "But what if a bomb was about to go off and you could stop it by torturing somebody." question. I'd do it but take the consequences because torture is always a crime.
Drugs work better.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149471 Jan 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I think the word you're looking for is "winning"...
He would be if you were.

But you're not.

Except in your own mind.

What little of it there is.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149472 Jan 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I believe (not "know", "believe") that the flood story is an allegorical narrative representing the power of God and the potential wrath of God. I believe it was used as a primitive means to get people to listen, understand & fear God.

That is my opinion.
Control through fear.

That is what religion is all about.

Sucker.
uidiotracemakeWo rldpeace

United States

#149473 Jan 23, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Control through fear.
That is what religion is all about.
Sucker.
US military as Xtain fundies is base religion!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#149475 Jan 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That humanism is an offshoot of Christianity.
You wouldn't have it without Christianity, or a belief in a higher authority. Now you want to kill Christianity and higher authorities....
Would you happen to have any proof of you assertion, or are you just making stuff up?

Buddhism is an atheistic worldview which basically follows these same tenets, yet it cannot be said to be based on Christianity by any stretch of the imagination.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
...higher authority concept is what keeps men kind of honest. Makes them less prone to discard what they consider less productive or capable. You should thank God religion exists.
So you are saying that without your belief in a god you would be a raving sociopath? Then by all means, please keep your religion.

I and a number of others do not need a belief in a Santa Claus figure to by "good for goodness sake".
Lincoln

United States

#149476 Jan 23, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means. It means slow or to impede which is exactly what belief in god does to you.
For example remember how big of a retard you made out of yourself first saying your dad was this miserable brutal atheist who forced his atheism down your throat then later saying he was this wonderful sweet man who everyone adored. And not to mention your strange story about an Arab walked into his room and thy made him a Christian for some reason.
You're just too damn retarded daffy :)
<quoted text>
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means.

remember how big of a retard you made out of yourself first

Atheism seems to come down to name calling?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#149477 Jan 23, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course a retard like you ... Atheism seems to come down to name calling?
You broke my irony meter.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#149478 Jan 23, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you happen to have any proof of you assertion, or are you just making stuff up?
Buddhism is an atheistic worldview which basically follows these same tenets, yet it cannot be said to be based on Christianity by any stretch of the imagination.
<quoted text>
So you are saying that without your belief in a god you would be a raving sociopath? Then by all means, please keep your religion.
I and a number of others do not need a belief in a Santa Claus figure to by "good for goodness sake".
What I said was belief in a higher authority is a limit on absolute power corrupting absolutely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moses never existed 13 min KiMare 843
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 24 min pusherman_ 778,850
Bull and Boar - an 18th century Welsh tavern. 55 min Ed Teach 100
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 59 min Ed Teach 53,259
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr cheer the f up 119,695
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Michael 560,589
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr truth 605,363
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 265,483
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) Sat risque 137
More from around the web