Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#149296 Jan 22, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither of you are lying, you are simply choosing to believe different sources. Personally, I think Lincoln did use the phrase "under God" when he delivered the address because, as the Wiki article noted, three different reporters telegraphed the text of the speech on the same day from their stenographic notes. But Lincoln may have improvised the phrase on the spot or have been mulling it over in his mind without having written it down. But adding the phrase to the pledge was not necessarily inspired by the speech--does anyone know for sure?
"Under God" was first used on February 12, 1948, Lincoln's Birthday, in honor of his Gettysburg Address.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Alle...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149297 Jan 22, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not when I was born.
Will when you die.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#149298 Jan 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The way it is explained to me is like the pixels on your monitor.
To continually produce different images it doesn't require more pixels , but borrows the pixels from the whole.
That way for a pixel to appear here, one goes dark over there.
Except for the universe has infinitely more pixels than your monitor. It's not violating conservation, its shifting particles around through the higgs field and virtual particles. They are not in another universe, they just exist in imperceptibly short bursts spread out over a imperceptibly large area.
Those virtual particles are effects of the motion of space producing matter.

You can't collect pixels in a bucket. They aren't really "solid". "Pixels" are just swirls of energy impacted by a stream of energy, which "lights" them up giving an appearance of solidity.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149299 Jan 22, 2013
EVERY argument for god is an argument from ignorance based not upon knowledge but rather the absence of it.God = human ignorance.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149300 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry, as an atheist, do you have a basis for arguing that there is something wrong with killing witches?
After all, doesn't survival of the fittest demand that the strongest and most ruthless survive?
I am not sure, why, if you were to really live as an atheist (or secular humanist as you referred to yourself before, I believe), you would object to that?
I have asked you that numerous times and you have never been able to give an answer to it.
Now, if you were a christian and had a basis for appealing to an absolute moral standard, then your question would make sense.
But as you are an atheist, then, your question is nonsensical.
It boggles my mind just how morally challenged theists can be. Ethics are the rules of group cooperation, nothing more. They have nothing at all to do with your sky fairy beliefs. The golden rule is pretty simple. We do not kill witches for the same reason we do not kill theists. We should treat each other as we want to be treated. This is the basic principle that allows civilization to exist. Morals evolved in us because they are a benefit to our survival.

By the way, faith is immoral for it is dishonest. Honest people admit to not knowing things that are not known, theists just fill in all the blanks to all the tough questions with the word god and considered the matter solved. Theists are both mentally lazy and dishonest.

Location hidden

#149301 Jan 22, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have evidence of their effects, yes.
<quoted text>
Why would you think that? Virtual particles are simply off-shell counterparts for ordinary ones. They do not 'come from another dimension'. They are part of this physical reality.
<quoted text>
Only to people who don't understand what a virtual particle actually is.
<quoted text>
No, the Higg's mechanism has nothing whatsoever to do with the Big Bang (which was not a condensation).
<quoted text>
Nonsense questions.
You are under mistake. The BB is portrayed as a rapid expansion that then shrank after giving off heat, and the condensation produced the particles, including the Higg's, which then gave mass to them.

Get past the magical and mystical of it to see what "physically" occurred.

Nonsense questions? Your belief system says everything emerged from a center expanding out. Even your gravity is derived from this mysterious force in the nucleus of atoms. You refuse to believe that this compartment of a greater universe, and its workings, could be constructed. You are like a building sitting there thinking it just magically appeared. Not very scientific.

Think outside the box you are in.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149302 Jan 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Will when you die.
Maybe down along hillbilly highway but not up here where I live. Religion is now being viewed more for what it is up here, a carnival side show hustle.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149303 Jan 22, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It was always morally wrong, but an evil society allowed it to happen! Moral people have been fighting against evil since the beginning.
Yes, and it was the Hebrews & Levites that started to change society's outlook on slaves.

I know these atheists want to make the bible look evil because it condoned slavery, but it was a far better form of slavery, especially compared to other cultures in that era that owned slaves.

Location hidden

#149304 Jan 22, 2013
http://sciencesetfree.tumblr.com/post/4059415...

BTW, this "constant" shows the limitations of math based physics.

The "measurements" are done in one locale of this universe, and math heads run wild with imagination.

The Earth's gravity is "stronger" because it is within a larger gravity well, the sun's, which in turn is within even larger wells. Gravity is additive.

The constant shifting of celestial bodies works on the gravity of your body.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149305 Jan 22, 2013
Clementia wrote:
In india, punjab. I told u, i came here when i was like 2yrs.
There's a restaurant about a mile from me called Punjab Palace.

Good people, bad food.

Maybe I didn't order right.

Can you recommend a good Punjab food?

Location hidden

#149306 Jan 22, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
It boggles my mind just how morally challenged theists can be. Ethics are the rules of group cooperation, nothing more. They have nothing at all to do with your sky fairy beliefs. The golden rule is pretty simple. We do not kill witches for the same reason we do not kill theists. We should treat each other as we want to be treated. This is the basic principle that allows civilization to exist. Morals evolved in us because they are a benefit to our survival.
By the way, faith is immoral for it is dishonest. Honest people admit to not knowing things that are not known, theists just fill in all the blanks to all the tough questions with the word god and considered the matter solved. Theists are both mentally lazy and dishonest.
Your group cooperation requires the elimination of threats to said group and its survival as a group. Meaning you kill your enemies, or render them no longer a threat. You may even gain an economic advantage in enslaving them. It also means silencing dissidents within the group.

Strictly a secularist thing.

Any sense of "group" beyond your immediate one is based upon some ideal beyond the physical.

You are a confused person.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#149307 Jan 22, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
They tried this same crap in the sixties; doesn't work. Idealists are so goofy.
The fact that we forget there are different kinds of realities and that our experience of them is entirely dependent upon our perception has nothing to do with hippies. It has everything to do with relinquishing preconceived notions about the self in relation to an infinite universe; not to denigrate the significance of social changes brought about by the 60's. While much of the hippie style and values has been mainstreamed into America,(green movement, eradication of nuclear weapons, an awareness of the destructive nature of a materialistic social status quo etc.), hippies adopted many of the spiritual concepts of eastern philosophy.

I prefer to consider rather than ignore the concept of the "inviolate" nature of the individual spirit before, during, and after physical existence whether or not any theory of reincarnation is involved. I understand the Buddhist teaching that perfect joy can be found in the eventual surrender of self to a supreme force although I have yet to determine how the self who surrenders knows it has done so if it has been so thoroughly absorbed in nirvanic bliss.

With all its distortions, one thing can be said of Christianity, it is not as limiting as Eastern teachings. Though the goal be enlightenment, the path to enlightenment as taught by gurus is not merely self-denial and acceptance of suffering as good, it requires the eradication of your individuality by killing all desire and intent.

For a host of reasons, our religions have emphasized repression, restriction, and pennance rather than benediction, expression, celebration, or love. Nearly all religions, western and eastern alike, have shown a suspicious willingness to surrender the conscious self, either to a bland heaven or nirvanic blessed non-being. If, as I believe, God is individualized in all of us, in all things, then it is precisely that God-given identity, that God-knowing-Itself-as-us that we want to understand.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#149308 Jan 22, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
I must say, your atheistic reasoning is really top class in terms of atheistic reasoning.

Some of the others here, should save their time and just post like you, as their arguments basically boil down to the same arbitrarty dismissal of logic and reasoning.

:-)

Location hidden

#149309 Jan 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I cannot say because I wasn't there, but can only say I don't think I would have thought it to be. But In defense of the ignorance of slaveholders, they really thought the slaves were more like animals than humans then. that frame of mind changed, I think when everyone actually discovered that the slaves were just as human and feeling as anyone else. This probably didn't take as long as it did to end the practice, because their was profit involved.
As long as profit is involved there will be greedy men who don't care what feelings get in their way.
Thank you.

Point proved.

Slavery was not wrong then, but is now.

And if tomorrow society decides that slavery of a few will benefit the majority, with your reasoning, you are duty bound to follow that decision.

If you have lived in Germany during the 1930's, with your reasoning here, you would have been a nazi...

Have you really thought this through thoroughly?

Location hidden

#149310 Jan 22, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Yes it does. Moreover, morality predates any modern religion.
<quoted text>
You are correct.

Absolute Morality predates the universe, as it is an expression of Gods own Character.

And as Christianity was the first "religion" known to man, then you have just confirmed what I have been saying all along...

Location hidden

#149311 Jan 22, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It was always morally wrong, but an evil society allowed it to happen! Moral people have been fighting against evil since the beginning.
No, because Aura moves with society, he's influenced by society, so if he was in the olden days, he would have kept slaves, too.
LOL, i'm gonna get a telling off from Aura! I love u really, buddy!! I'm just sayin'. Forgive me!!
Exactly...

Location hidden

#149312 Jan 22, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I think you are finally getting it! Just think a little bit harder and I think we may have a break through!
Let me know when the light bulb shines!
I understand you perfectly.

The problem is you don't understand your own argument.

You cannot define any morality if you do not have an absolute standard to define it with.

In that case, you cannot argue that anything is "right" or "wrong", all you can argue for is expediency.

And if it is expedient for someone to rape someone, then you have no right to condemn that.

You need to follow your own reasoning to its logical conclusion.

Location hidden

#149313 Jan 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

I'm not duty bound to shit. That must be where you're having trouble understanding me. I make my own rules.
Exactly.

And this is what the Bible explains.

Man thinks that through his own finite reasoning, he can reason greater than God, who gave him that reasoning, which has now become perverted.

The problem is that you soon are reduced to absurdity, when you reject the God whos nature is logical.

If you are the arbiter of morality, what happens if someone disagrees with you?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149314 Jan 22, 2013
Cycle wasting cu*ts like you deserve no better.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say, your atheistic reasoning is really top class in terms of atheistic reasoning.
Some of the others here, should save their time and just post like you, as their arguments basically boil down to the same arbitrarty dismissal of logic and reasoning.
:-)

Location hidden

#149315 Jan 22, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that we forget there are different kinds of realities and that our experience of them is entirely dependent upon our perception has nothing to do with hippies. It has everything to do with relinquishing preconceived notions about the self in relation to an infinite universe; not to denigrate the significance of social changes brought about by the 60's. While much of the hippie style and values has been mainstreamed into America,(green movement, eradication of nuclear weapons, an awareness of the destructive nature of a materialistic social status quo etc.), hippies adopted many of the spiritual concepts of eastern philosophy.
I prefer to consider rather than ignore the concept of the "inviolate" nature of the individual spirit before, during, and after physical existence whether or not any theory of reincarnation is involved. I understand the Buddhist teaching that perfect joy can be found in the eventual surrender of self to a supreme force although I have yet to determine how the self who surrenders knows it has done so if it has been so thoroughly absorbed in nirvanic bliss.
With all its distortions, one thing can be said of Christianity, it is not as limiting as Eastern teachings. Though the goal be enlightenment, the path to enlightenment as taught by gurus is not merely self-denial and acceptance of suffering as good, it requires the eradication of your individuality by killing all desire and intent.
For a host of reasons, our religions have emphasized repression, restriction, and pennance rather than benediction, expression, celebration, or love. Nearly all religions, western and eastern alike, have shown a suspicious willingness to surrender the conscious self, either to a bland heaven or nirvanic blessed non-being. If, as I believe, God is individualized in all of us, in all things, then it is precisely that God-given identity, that God-knowing-Itself-as-us that we want to understand.
You are too intellectual for them to grok.

Christianity does allow for more individual expression than the others. Which is sort of an evolutionary advantage. Much more adaptive to change and new things than the others. Can charge ahead instead of just maintaining the status quo. But these pseudo-atheists don't understand that. They just follow other leaders.

Purely and simply, humankind are just facets of a higher being. You can still accept that and be individual. This existence is a construct you spend some time in. Much like being in the Army. You follow the rules to get a job done, but you can think for yourself and use your individual talents to the advantage of the group when needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min lil whispers 605,081
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Hukt on Fonix 775,902
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 559,722
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Aura Mytha 265,221
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 11 min WasteWater 5,116
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 19 min EdmondWA 96,751
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 41 min scirocco 37,828
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 51 min lisw 175,685
More from around the web