Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148702 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
mtimber, now, again I ask, name one thing that is an absolute, anything that is not in a book of myths and legends.
I do not have any fairy tales that I would argue from.

But if you are arguing that only one book is excluded from use as a basis of knowledge, I would ask you why you have excluded that particular book?

As to your question:

You exist...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148703 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact you are arguing against God, proves His existence...
What if I substitute "the flying spaghetti monster" for "God"?

Location hidden

#148704 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
That was factual, not emotional.
<quoted text>
No sir, it was emotional.

Whenever you are reduced to using expletives to affirm your own authority, you are relying on emotional stimuli.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148705 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, ok.
Sorry if you think I come off as mean. I'm just honest & blunt. That's my character. I don't put much thought into people's feelings.
I'm by no means racist. To be racist implies that you think your race is superior, I don't think that at all. So I tell racist jokes here & there. I see that as BIG DEAL. Was it the "towel-head" thing that pusses you off? I'm sure it wasn't any if the redneck jokes I've posted...
What do you think I'm ignorant of? One cannot be flat out ignorant of everything.
Of course God is capable of defending Himself, I'm here as a
Christian voice to defend Christians, not God.
Oh my dear, my eyes are wide open. I see the world in a way you don't.
Don't be so quick to judge. It's suits you wrong.
No, it was the racist black joke u made, which wasn't funny at all!! U r a redneck if u wanna take the piss outta yourself go for it, but don't be horrible to others.

U call yourself a christian but yet u "don't put much thought into people's feelings"? O for crying out loud, Jesus died for the sins of people, he cared so much that he gave his life and u don't even care about feelings?

u r ignorant of God's righteousness!!

All people belong to him, i'm not going to defend 1 religious group over another.

I don't want to ever see the world through your eyes, my God never let me see that day!!

And i'm not pissed or angry, i'm being honest!!

Location hidden

#148706 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What if I substitute "the flying spaghetti monster" for "God"?
Dawkins false analogy, whilst trumpted by many atheists as the final word on the matter is, is very poor as an argument against God...

Is the flying spaghetti monster:

Omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, absolutely moral and eternal?

If he is then he would have manifested himself to man as such, because it would have been his nature to do so.

So no, you cannot substitute that poor analogy for God and expect your argument to be treated as sincere...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148707 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you did have me worried though.
I couldn't imagine how somebody as cultivated, sophisticated and erudite as you could be so misinformed.
Aw, I knew you'd come around, Catcher.

BTW - erudite, new word for Redneck.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148709 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
No, it was the racist black joke u made, which wasn't funny at all!! U r a redneck if u wanna take the piss outta yourself go for it, but don't be horrible to others.
How does one "take the piss outta yourself"?
U call yourself a christian but yet u "don't put much thought into people's feelings"? O for crying out loud, Jesus died for the sins of people, he cared so much that he gave his life and u don't even care about feelings?

No, I don't. People nowadays are a bunch of sissy la-la's. Every other day it's offend this & those are offensive that. It's ridiculous. You can't fart sideways in the wind without somebody complaining about how offensive it is.
u r ignorant of God's righteousness!!
No I'm not.
All people belong to him, i'm not going to defend 1 religious group over another.

Good for you. I for one, will.
I don't want to ever see the world through your eyes, my God never let me see that day!!

What's wrong? You can't understand that seeing the world through other people's eyes as beneficial? If that's so, you're sheltered.
And i'm not pissed or angry, i'm being honest!!
Naaaah! You're not angry......

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148710 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No, I don't. People nowadays are a bunch of sissy la-la's. Every other day it's offend this & those are offensive that. It's ridiculous. You can't fart sideways in the wind without somebody complaining about how offensive it is.
<quoted text>
No I'm not.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What's wrong? You can't understand that seeing the world through other people's eyes as beneficial? If that's so, you're sheltered.
<quoted text>
Clementine is not angry, RR.

She is frustrated and disappointed, though, at your lack of sensitivity, empathy and compassion.

Jesus is rolling over in his...wherever he is.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148711 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it telling that evidence is yet to be discovered. Those millions had only clothes, carts, food, etc & had nothing that would withstand 3,500 years.
Jesus confirmed the story of exodus Himself.
Correction: copies of documents several generations old purported to be by people who in turn purported to speak for Jesus confirmed the story of Exodus.

If you think about it, you'd probably otherwise never believe anything that had a provenance like that.
Absence if evidence is not evidence of absence.
Remember that the world was flat until proven otherwise.
Yeah, not so much.
"where is the evidence for the mass migration of every animal on Earth from a single point?"
See? Your idea of the stories of the bible are wrong. Never did "every animal migrate"...
Do you need a new lesson on the great flood? I can help you.
OK then, so when the ark came to rest and they all disembarked, all the animals stuck around that spot? Did animals outside of that immediate area spontaneously pop out of the ground? How did that work?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#148712 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Denying God is an irrational position.
Why?
mtimber wrote:
By doing so, you remove the basis for comprehending transcendental absolutes.
What? Why? Who cares?
mtimber wrote:
And yes secular humanists are usually atheists by self identification and by practice if they deny the label.
They are also usually adults. That doesn't make Secular Humanism an adult organization.
mtimber wrote:
But as you have denied moral absolutes, do you agree nothing is essentially evil or good of itself?
Indeed. Morality is subjective.

Embrace the grey.

#148713 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
I am saying that you also know the God you deny and it can be proven because you will appeal to His absolute moral standards and concepts when it pleases you and you will deny they exist when it pleases you also.
The fact you are arguing against God, proves His existence...
Without Him you have no basis for rational logical absolutes upon which to base your reasoning.
Without Him we are just two chemical accidents fizzing near each other...
And if we are just two chemical accidents fizzing away, how do you know your fizzing is superior to mine...
Try ripping off a compelling argument next time.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148714 Jan 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence as what?
Empty pizza boxes?
Empty beer bottles?
Footprints in the sand? Old tires?
Wal-Mart plastic bags?
McDonalds wrappers?
Tire tracks?
Chicken bones?
40 years is not even thin skin of a onion compared to thousands of years. These people were camping out and living in tents. They didn抰 produce the trash that a modern society produces.
I take it you have never done any remote camping. You walk in with what you have and walk out taking everything with you including any trash.
No one ever died along the way? They never came across anyone who mentioned these millions of wandering people? They also carried around 40 years of accumulated trash with them? Seriously?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148715 Jan 17, 2013
That's not how logic works. I can call you a cu*t and still be right. Besides, only morons are scared of swear words.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No sir, it was emotional.
Whenever you are reduced to using expletives to affirm your own authority, you are relying on emotional stimuli.

Embrace the grey.

#148716 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Then you will have no difficulty dealing with my arguments then...:-)
Keep smiling.

Location hidden

#148717 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No I'm not.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
hmmm...like i do!

so why the hell r u here defending Christians then? why the hell u offended, u sissy la-la, lol that's a new term for me.

what's with the farting, first mylan was at it and now u, did u eat too much potato salad or grilled cheese? I told u to drink warm water, didn't i? Go on, fart away, i'll just hold my breath!! Don't ever tell me that i don't do enough for u!

When did u look at the world through my eyes?

I'm not angry! Why, u wanna see me angry? I could do that for u, too!!!

Location hidden

#148718 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clementine is not angry, RR.
She is frustrated and disappointed, though, at your lack of sensitivity, empathy and compassion.
Jesus is rolling over in his...wherever he is.
u talking about me, but not to me. Oh I see, u playing hard to get. Well, 2 can play that game!

First, Tide could read my mind and now u, r u angels or demons?

Embrace the grey.

#148719 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Dawkins false analogy, whilst trumpted by many atheists as the final word on the matter is, is very poor as an argument against God...
Is the flying spaghetti monster:
Omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, absolutely moral and eternal?
If he is then he would have manifested himself to man as such, because it would have been his nature to do so.
So no, you cannot substitute that poor analogy for God and expect your argument to be treated as sincere...
It's an argument to demonstrate the absurdity of taking extraordinary claims seriously that are presented without any objectively verifiable evidence.

What separates the quality of evidence for your god from that of any number of other gods?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#148720 Jan 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is not a religion . It is as disbelief in any gods .
An atheist religion has no supreme deity or god they worship like... Jainism, Buddhism, Raelism, Neopagan movements such as Wicca and Modern Gaia.
" It is as disbelief in any gods ."
Wrong!

Merriam-Webster.
athe路ist\藞膩-th膿-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

Not a disbelieve but a believe.

This is why every survey list Atheist ( a person that BELIEVES there is no God or gods) and non-believers separate.

ag路nos路tic\ag-藞n盲s-tik,蓹g -\
noun
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

It's so sad you can't get the difference in these two words.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#148721 Jan 17, 2013
jeffthecheeseman wrote:
Agreed, Aerobatty. I am neither "atheist" nor "religious" If someone could produce for me one iota of proof, not faith, that a God exists, I would convert.I keep on hearing that I lack "faith". Sorry, but I need evidence if I am going to change my life and bet my "soul" on the existence of a God.
"If someone could produce for me one iota of proof"

You an many others!

There is no proof and I doubt there will ever be proof found in your life time that there is a God.

"Sorry, but I need evidence if I am going to change my life"

So what is it proof or evidence that you need? Not that I would want to try and convert you, I couldn't care less what your believes are.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148722 Jan 17, 2013
Sock off.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
" It is as disbelief in any gods ."
Wrong!
Merriam-Webster.
athe路ist\藞膩-th膿-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
Not a disbelieve but a believe.
This is why every survey list Atheist ( a person that BELIEVES there is no God or gods) and non-believers separate.
ag路nos路tic\ag-藞n盲s-tik,蓹g -\
noun
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
It's so sad you can't get the difference in these two words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min June VanDerMark 542,731
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Dr_Zorderz 259,578
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min mike 601,118
chat with demi lovato 112 (the real official de... (Jan '09) 12 min DEMI Lovato 1,852
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 19 min Lyndi 173,702
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min Stilgar Fifrawi 739,551
The Anti-Christ 56 min Bev Jamison 8

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••