Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
142,801 - 142,820 of 226,286 Comments Last updated 38 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148662 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that isn't what I said. Let's try again, shall we?
If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, irregardless of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit). Just saying "I believe" isn't enough.
That's what the Bible says. If you don't like it, feel free to edit it. Many other before you certainly have.
First of all, irregardless isn't a real word, except maybe to the urban dictionary.

Second, I've already shown you how your thoughts & ideas of what salvation is are flawed. I don't care to do it again.

This is what I mean by I tire of repeating myself over and over again to you people.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148663 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.
Err ~ I just posted the link LOL... perhaps you might want to teach the scientists as they have stated they are having problems working it out, but you nutted it out in a few lines!! Well done, Kitty, you are a genius!!

#148664 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.
Just a little extract from the link (hahaha I love laughing in the mornings, just purely makes my day)

***But how do emotions trigger physical sensations? Scientists do not know, but recently pain researchers uncovered a possible pathway from mind to body.***

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#148665 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
If the process of evolution is merely a function of life, a "perversion" is neither wrong or right.
All forms of life known to man evolve. That fact is independent of the nature of human morality.
mtimber wrote:
And if atheists are free to develope their own moral standard, then nothing is absolutely wrong, just a matter of personal choice.
Again, these are independent concepts. Morality is always a matter of personal choice, for atheists and theists.
mtimber wrote:
Very few atheists are willing to be honest about the implications of their worldview, and most are ignorant of them, throwing stones at others houses, not realising they are throwing them through their own glass windows when they do...
How do you have a worldview of which you are ignorant?

How many is "Very few atheists"?

Have you done a survey?

Location hidden

#148666 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
*sigh* RR, I know you'd like to think that I don't know what I'm talking about Bible-wise, but in fact I do. The fact that I used the word "Jew" instead of "Hebrew" is indicative of the fact that I was writing quickly, not that I don't know that the term "Jew" didn't come into effect until Israel was established. Chill, OK?
So, instead of nickpicking over that, how about addressing what I said about the Hebrews not actually being enslaved in Egypt, and the lack of evidence for the Exodus?
Limits of Archaeology

(1) little of what was made or written in antiquity survives to this day;

(2) few of the ancient sites have been surveyed and a number have not even been found;

(3) probably fewer than 2 percent of the known sites have been meaningfully excavated;

(4) few of these have been more than scratched; and

(5) only a fraction of the fraction that have been excavated have been published and data made available to the scholarly world.

Why would the Egyptians keep a record of their greatest humiliation? They most likely wouldn't. Even today, historians are still debating what happens in our 2 works wars. If we were writing everything on paper & stone, do you think it'd still be around in 3500 years?

Here, read all about it, if you can with an open mind:

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2009/08/...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148667 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is sexual intercourse with children wrong to an atheist?
What is wrong with one chemical accident interacting with another chemical accident?
As a Christian, I know that is wrong, because of Gods absolute moral standards..
But as an atheist, one animal copulating with another animal is wrong why?
You present a perfect illustration of how religion is successful in capturing those who are unable to think for themselves.

Your skydaddy has you on his leash.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#148668 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of belief in God is a moral position as that belief dictates human moral reactions to the idea of God...
Why would atheistic secular humanism claim an absolute moral standard as you stated about genocide?
Lack of belief in god is a rational position. There is no evidence to support the existence of any god.

Secular humanism is not atheistic. It just rejects religious dogma. You can believe in any number of gods and still be a secular humanist. And it doesn't claim any moral absolutes. I don't think such a thing exists.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148669 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, irregardless isn't a real word, except maybe to the urban dictionary.
Second, I've already shown you how your thoughts & ideas of what salvation is are flawed. I don't care to do it again.
This is what I mean by I tire of repeating myself over and over again to you people.
So again, you got nuthin. You still haven't refuted what I said:

If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, regardless (thanks!) of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit).

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#148670 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course belief dictates morals...
Your presuppositions define your morality.
Arguing there is no God, argues there is no ultimate standard for morality...
How?

And what would be an example of an ultimate standard for morality?

You're basically saying that if it were proven to you that god didn't exist, your morals would vanish.

That's pretty scary.

You'd better stick with god.

#148671 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You can be equal if you dump the misogynist bible.
<quoted text>
In your opinion.....

San Francisco

#148672 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Limits of Archaeology
(1) little of what was made or written in antiquity survives to this day;
(2) few of the ancient sites have been surveyed and a number have not even been found;
(3) probably fewer than 2 percent of the known sites have been meaningfully excavated;
(4) few of these have been more than scratched; and
(5) only a fraction of the fraction that have been excavated have been published and data made available to the scholarly world.
Why would the Egyptians keep a record of their greatest humiliation? They most likely wouldn't. Even today, historians are still debating what happens in our 2 works wars. If we were writing everything on paper & stone, do you think it'd still be around in 3500 years?
Here, read all about it, if you can with an open mind:
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2009/08/...
How did 2-3 million people travel out of Egypt and leave almost no trace? Did they float and have no possessions? I mean, this is a major story of the Bible, lots and lots of people have searched for evidence, which would confirm what the Bible said. They all have come up with nada. I find that telling.

It's akin to the flood story: where is the evidence for the mass migration of every animal on Earth from a single point? Didn't any of them breed or die on their way to wherever they were supposed to go? How did the land animals on Australia get there? Did God provide a special unmentioned ferry for them? Give me a break.

Embrace the grey.

#148673 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Lack of belief in God is a moral position as that belief dictates human moral reactions to the idea of God...
Lack of belief is not a belief, and does not dictate moral reactions to the idea of God or gods.
mtimber wrote:
Why would atheistic secular humanism claim an absolute moral standard as you stated about genocide?
I don't think secular humanism claims absolute moral standards of any kind, as there is no mechanism at this time to make those kinds of claims. Secular Humanism is a voluntary ethical guide that promotes subjective values. You either agree to the values or you don't. There is no authority involved, that I'm aware of.

San Francisco

#148674 Jan 17, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>In your opinion.....
The fact that the Bible is misogynistic is not an opinion. Nor is the fact that it is also racist, homophobic, supports slavery, genocide, incest, and ethnic cleansing. It's all in there.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148675 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So....
You're saying I'm wrong that my words show I'm an atheist?
Call it whatever u want. You can't be the follower of the Jesus I know. Either there is more than 1 Jesus or we have a totally different understanding of Jesus. Jesus tried to spread peace but all u people do is spread hate, u just can't be the follower of Jesus who said, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Even Jesus, the son of God, didn't pick up the stone, even he considered himself below God, but u people think u r above God.

Embrace the grey.

#148676 Jan 17, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
How?
And what would be an example of an ultimate standard for morality?
You're basically saying that if it were proven to you that god didn't exist, your morals would vanish.
That's pretty scary.
You'd better stick with god.
He's making the same kind of arguments as William Lane Craig. Maybe he's a fan.

This kind of troll is good for a few days fun.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148677 Jan 17, 2013
Aura... I watched that documentary, it was bullsh*t!!!:-)

Location hidden

#148678 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
How did 2-3 million people travel out of Egypt and leave almost no trace? Did they float and have no possessions? I mean, this is a major story of the Bible, lots and lots of people have searched for evidence, which would confirm what the Bible said. They all have come up with nada. I find that telling.
I find it telling that evidence is yet to be discovered. Those millions had only clothes, carts, food, etc & had nothing that would withstand 3,500 years.

Jesus confirmed the story of exodus Himself.

Absence if evidence is not evidence of absence.

Remember that the world was flat until proven otherwise.
It's akin to the flood story: where is the evidence for the mass migration of every animal on Earth from a single point? Didn't any of them breed or die on their way to wherever they were supposed to go? How did the land animals on Australia get there? Did God provide a special unmentioned ferry for them? Give me a break.
"where is the evidence for the mass migration of every animal on Earth from a single point?"

See? Your idea of the stories of the bible are wrong. Never did "every animal migrate"...

Do you need a new lesson on the great flood? I can help you.

Location hidden

#148679 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Call it whatever u want. You can't be the follower of the Jesus I know. Either there is more than 1 Jesus or we have a totally different understanding of Jesus. Jesus tried to spread peace but all u people do is spread hate, u just can't be the follower of Jesus who said, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Even Jesus, the son of God, didn't pick up the stone, even he considered himself below God, but u people think u r above God.
In what way have I demonstrated that I think I'm above God?

In what way have I demonstrated that I spread hate?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#148680 Jan 17, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of belief in god is a rational position. There is no evidence to support the existence of any god.
Secular humanism is not atheistic. It just rejects religious dogma. You can believe in any number of gods and still be a secular humanist. And it doesn't claim any moral absolutes. I don't think such a thing exists.
Secularist, yes ... Humanist, no. "Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."

Secularism however, is well supported by theists of numerous religions.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148681 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Remember that the world was flat until proven otherwise.

Do you need a new lesson on the great flood? I can help you.
The world used to be flat?

If that's what you think, then no thanks, I'd rather not have a lesson from you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 4 min Jim Khan 739
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Buck Crick 732,796
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min June VanDerMark 538,808
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min Porkpie Hat 257,861
Last Word + 2 18 min Hannah V 494
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 40 min Senecus 599,840
Difference between white masons and black masons (Apr '08) 48 min Dave 310
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr KiMare 94,646
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••