Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148651 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the illiterate people are not atheists, but the ones that are trolls do tend to be illiterate. You should check out some more of the threads/topics, they would embarrass you.
Of what I've seen, it's about a 50/50 ratio of illiterate theists/atheists...

The arrogant atheist notion of "We're the smart ones" is noticeably an opinion.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148652 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you probably mean semi-literate. An illiterate would not be able to read the posts or to compose responses at all, so by definition, there are no illiterates in this forum. I could also point out that there are different standards by which writing skills can be evaluated. Most people are limited to seeing flaws in grammar, spelling, or punctuation, and not well at that. But good writing is so much more than correctness.

Good writing tends to be easy to read because the words chosen correlate well to the ideas being expressed. Sentences are well constructed, and ideas are presented in a natural sequence. The flow of words, of sentences, and of paragraphs is smooth and natural and reflects an intuitive understanding of poetic technique. I find it ironic that the writers who harp the most about writing focus on such trivial aspects as spelling and punctuation while there own writing tends to be jumbled, stilted, and awkward, while some of the posts they criticize are smooth and seem less when I look past the typos and other minor flaws.

It's easy to recognize those who take pleasure in the writing process as opposed to those who regard it as a necessary but secondary task. The former are a pleasure to read even if there are errors, the latter a chore even when the grammar is perfect.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148653 Jan 17, 2013
As is usual with my post, there are errors in the one above that I've spotted only after posting. Oh, well. It's a good thing I've never claimed to be perfect.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148655 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
And why are you a cu*t?
<quoted text>
You need to learn to control your emotional outbursts.

No one will ever be able to take you seriously if you are constantly reduced to spewing out abuse and vile rhetoric.

The question is, why are you so bitter and angry?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148656 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Wilde. If you say so
After all, you're the one who thinks that all one has to do is say "I believe in Jesus" before they die & all is forgiven...
If you wanna learn something, I can help.
If you wanna criticize, I can do that to.
But don't act like you wanna know and definitely don't act like you know Christianity because you don't.
Except that isn't what I said. Let's try again, shall we?

If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, irregardless of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit). Just saying "I believe" isn't enough.

That's what the Bible says. If you don't like it, feel free to edit it. Many other before you certainly have.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#148658 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A well-informed opinion. Supported by much evidence.

San Francisco

#148657 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I was just pointing out your ignorance regarding the subject.
(You thought there were Jews in Egypt until just a few minutes ago. Didn't know there were no Jews yet.)
*sigh* RR, I know you'd like to think that I don't know what I'm talking about Bible-wise, but in fact I do. The fact that I used the word "Jew" instead of "Hebrew" is indicative of the fact that I was writing quickly, not that I don't know that the term "Jew" didn't come into effect until Israel was established. Chill, OK?

So, instead of nickpicking over that, how about addressing what I said about the Hebrews not actually being enslaved in Egypt, and the lack of evidence for the Exodus?

San Francisco

#148659 Jan 17, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF? If a slave has a child and decides to leave after 7 years; his child remains in slaved for life.
Is that correct? I didn't know that. Well, if it's in Exodus, it must be OK.

San Francisco

#148660 Jan 17, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I meant tell me why we can't be equals LOL
Well, if you are being told that you must be submissive and subjugated, that pretty much excludes the possibility of being equal, wouldn't you say? And the Bible does say that women are to be submissive to and subjugated by men, their male relatives and then their husbands specifically. So you will never be equal to your husband, or indeed any man, if you live according to what the Bible says.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148661 Jan 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you probably mean semi-literate. An illiterate would not be able to read the posts or to compose responses at all, so by definition, there are no illiterates in this forum. I could also point out that there are different standards by which writing skills can be evaluated. Most people are limited to seeing flaws in grammar, spelling, or punctuation, and not well at that. But good writing is so much more than correctness.
Good writing tends to be easy to read because the words chosen correlate well to the ideas being expressed. Sentences are well constructed, and ideas are presented in a natural sequence. The flow of words, of sentences, and of paragraphs is smooth and natural and reflects an intuitive understanding of poetic technique. I find it ironic that the writers who harp the most about writing focus on such trivial aspects as spelling and punctuation while there own writing tends to be jumbled, stilted, and awkward, while some of the posts they criticize are smooth and seem less when I look past the typos and other minor flaws.
It's easy to recognize those who take pleasure in the writing process as opposed to those who regard it as a necessary but secondary task. The former are a pleasure to read even if there are errors, the latter a chore even when the grammar is perfect.
Yes of course, sem-literate, literally.

It seems to be the norm of the Internet, that people have a hard time with the simple task of typing thoughts into words.

I find myself with that struggle sometimes. I wish I could speak to my computer like they do on Star Trek. But then the posts would be far too long.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148662 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that isn't what I said. Let's try again, shall we?
If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, irregardless of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit). Just saying "I believe" isn't enough.
That's what the Bible says. If you don't like it, feel free to edit it. Many other before you certainly have.
First of all, irregardless isn't a real word, except maybe to the urban dictionary.

Second, I've already shown you how your thoughts & ideas of what salvation is are flawed. I don't care to do it again.

This is what I mean by I tire of repeating myself over and over again to you people.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148663 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.
Err ~ I just posted the link LOL... perhaps you might want to teach the scientists as they have stated they are having problems working it out, but you nutted it out in a few lines!! Well done, Kitty, you are a genius!!

#148664 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.
Just a little extract from the link (hahaha I love laughing in the mornings, just purely makes my day)

***But how do emotions trigger physical sensations? Scientists do not know, but recently pain researchers uncovered a possible pathway from mind to body.***

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148665 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
If the process of evolution is merely a function of life, a "perversion" is neither wrong or right.
All forms of life known to man evolve. That fact is independent of the nature of human morality.
mtimber wrote:
And if atheists are free to develope their own moral standard, then nothing is absolutely wrong, just a matter of personal choice.
Again, these are independent concepts. Morality is always a matter of personal choice, for atheists and theists.
mtimber wrote:
Very few atheists are willing to be honest about the implications of their worldview, and most are ignorant of them, throwing stones at others houses, not realising they are throwing them through their own glass windows when they do...
How do you have a worldview of which you are ignorant?

How many is "Very few atheists"?

Have you done a survey?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148666 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
*sigh* RR, I know you'd like to think that I don't know what I'm talking about Bible-wise, but in fact I do. The fact that I used the word "Jew" instead of "Hebrew" is indicative of the fact that I was writing quickly, not that I don't know that the term "Jew" didn't come into effect until Israel was established. Chill, OK?
So, instead of nickpicking over that, how about addressing what I said about the Hebrews not actually being enslaved in Egypt, and the lack of evidence for the Exodus?
Limits of Archaeology

(1) little of what was made or written in antiquity survives to this day;

(2) few of the ancient sites have been surveyed and a number have not even been found;

(3) probably fewer than 2 percent of the known sites have been meaningfully excavated;

(4) few of these have been more than scratched; and

(5) only a fraction of the fraction that have been excavated have been published and data made available to the scholarly world.

Why would the Egyptians keep a record of their greatest humiliation? They most likely wouldn't. Even today, historians are still debating what happens in our 2 works wars. If we were writing everything on paper & stone, do you think it'd still be around in 3500 years?

Here, read all about it, if you can with an open mind:

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2009/08/...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148667 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is sexual intercourse with children wrong to an atheist?
What is wrong with one chemical accident interacting with another chemical accident?
As a Christian, I know that is wrong, because of Gods absolute moral standards..
But as an atheist, one animal copulating with another animal is wrong why?
You present a perfect illustration of how religion is successful in capturing those who are unable to think for themselves.

Your skydaddy has you on his leash.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#148668 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of belief in God is a moral position as that belief dictates human moral reactions to the idea of God...
Why would atheistic secular humanism claim an absolute moral standard as you stated about genocide?
Lack of belief in god is a rational position. There is no evidence to support the existence of any god.

Secular humanism is not atheistic. It just rejects religious dogma. You can believe in any number of gods and still be a secular humanist. And it doesn't claim any moral absolutes. I don't think such a thing exists.

San Francisco

#148669 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, irregardless isn't a real word, except maybe to the urban dictionary.
Second, I've already shown you how your thoughts & ideas of what salvation is are flawed. I don't care to do it again.
This is what I mean by I tire of repeating myself over and over again to you people.
So again, you got nuthin. You still haven't refuted what I said:

If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, regardless (thanks!) of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit).

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#148670 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course belief dictates morals...
Your presuppositions define your morality.
Arguing there is no God, argues there is no ultimate standard for morality...
How?

And what would be an example of an ultimate standard for morality?

You're basically saying that if it were proven to you that god didn't exist, your morals would vanish.

That's pretty scary.

You'd better stick with god.

#148671 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You can be equal if you dump the misogynist bible.
<quoted text>
In your opinion.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Pokay 269,095
sexy body massage 97005..74796 for ladies in baddi (Apr '12) 10 min Gurdev singh 3
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 10 min JesusIsResurrection 997
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min TheNorthRemembers 97,933
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 19 min Seentheotherside 574,539
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min Next Victim Please 810,627
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 38 min Seentheotherside 608,293
More from around the web