Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148643 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Correct, but most of us have decided that priests f**king kids is wrong, the church covering up for that is wrong and people lying in support of religion is wrong.
<quoted text>
Why is sexual intercourse with children wrong to an atheist?

What is wrong with one chemical accident interacting with another chemical accident?

As a Christian, I know that is wrong, because of Gods absolute moral standards..

But as an atheist, one animal copulating with another animal is wrong why?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148644 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone operates on presuppositions.
Those presuppositions drive beliefs.
Would you say that it would be primitive to worship rocks as the source of life, logic and reason?
As you have stated that you have faith that a rock did it, how does the above quotation from you fit your own worldview?
After all it is an unsupported assertion that would seem to lack much intelligent use of empirical evidence...
You are projecting again.

I make no presuppositions, I have no need to.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148645 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, you cannot know everything, so how is it that atheists are so big on knowledge claims, like nothing is absolute?
Which is an absollute by the way, therefore self refuting.
Provide evidence of something that is absolute, anything that is actually evidence and not from a bunch of unsupported assertions in a book of myths and legends.

Location hidden

#148647 Jan 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no universal atheist world view, rather a huge range of possible ones. But atheism seems to encourage thought about personal ethics. Most atheists that I've talked to have developed comprehensive ethical standards, none of which have included any rationale for harming others except in the defense of oneself and others.
In evolution, "survival of the best adapted" is a better description of natural selection than "survival of the fittest." Natural selection applies to populations, not individuals. Natural selection is not about what should happen, but what is observed to occur. Human interference in the process can only distort if, favoring less adapted populations by artificially altering the criteria for adaptation. Genocide is the ultimate perversion in that respect.
If the process of evolution is merely a function of life, a "perversion" is neither wrong or right.

And if atheists are free to develope their own moral standard, then nothing is absolutely wrong, just a matter of personal choice.

Very few atheists are willing to be honest about the implications of their worldview, and most are ignorant of them, throwing stones at others houses, not realising they are throwing them through their own glass windows when they do...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148648 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yh, that's what Hitler would've said too!
I wish Jesus was here right now in the flesh, to tell u how wrong u people are.
So....

You're saying I'm wrong that my words show I'm an atheist?

Location hidden

#148649 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are projecting again.
I make no presuppositions, I have no need to.
Yes you do.

Everyone has an ultimate standard of truth that is circular in nature.

Here is one of yours;

A rock did it.

Location hidden

#148650 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide evidence of something that is absolute, anything that is actually evidence and not from a bunch of unsupported assertions in a book of myths and legends.
The fact you are asking for evidence, means that you inherently strive to ascertain absolutes...

You only deny them because deep down you know where they come from, you are just denying the obvious because the truth is not something you can face up to.

Location hidden

#148651 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the illiterate people are not atheists, but the ones that are trolls do tend to be illiterate. You should check out some more of the threads/topics, they would embarrass you.
Of what I've seen, it's about a 50/50 ratio of illiterate theists/atheists...

The arrogant atheist notion of "We're the smart ones" is noticeably an opinion.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148652 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you probably mean semi-literate. An illiterate would not be able to read the posts or to compose responses at all, so by definition, there are no illiterates in this forum. I could also point out that there are different standards by which writing skills can be evaluated. Most people are limited to seeing flaws in grammar, spelling, or punctuation, and not well at that. But good writing is so much more than correctness.

Good writing tends to be easy to read because the words chosen correlate well to the ideas being expressed. Sentences are well constructed, and ideas are presented in a natural sequence. The flow of words, of sentences, and of paragraphs is smooth and natural and reflects an intuitive understanding of poetic technique. I find it ironic that the writers who harp the most about writing focus on such trivial aspects as spelling and punctuation while there own writing tends to be jumbled, stilted, and awkward, while some of the posts they criticize are smooth and seem less when I look past the typos and other minor flaws.

It's easy to recognize those who take pleasure in the writing process as opposed to those who regard it as a necessary but secondary task. The former are a pleasure to read even if there are errors, the latter a chore even when the grammar is perfect.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148653 Jan 17, 2013
As is usual with my post, there are errors in the one above that I've spotted only after posting. Oh, well. It's a good thing I've never claimed to be perfect.

Location hidden

#148655 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
And why are you a cu*t?
<quoted text>
You need to learn to control your emotional outbursts.

No one will ever be able to take you seriously if you are constantly reduced to spewing out abuse and vile rhetoric.

The question is, why are you so bitter and angry?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148656 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Wilde. If you say so
After all, you're the one who thinks that all one has to do is say "I believe in Jesus" before they die & all is forgiven...
If you wanna learn something, I can help.
If you wanna criticize, I can do that to.
But don't act like you wanna know and definitely don't act like you know Christianity because you don't.
Except that isn't what I said. Let's try again, shall we?

If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, irregardless of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit). Just saying "I believe" isn't enough.

That's what the Bible says. If you don't like it, feel free to edit it. Many other before you certainly have.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#148658 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A well-informed opinion. Supported by much evidence.

San Francisco

#148657 Jan 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I was just pointing out your ignorance regarding the subject.
(You thought there were Jews in Egypt until just a few minutes ago. Didn't know there were no Jews yet.)
*sigh* RR, I know you'd like to think that I don't know what I'm talking about Bible-wise, but in fact I do. The fact that I used the word "Jew" instead of "Hebrew" is indicative of the fact that I was writing quickly, not that I don't know that the term "Jew" didn't come into effect until Israel was established. Chill, OK?

So, instead of nickpicking over that, how about addressing what I said about the Hebrews not actually being enslaved in Egypt, and the lack of evidence for the Exodus?

San Francisco

#148659 Jan 17, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF? If a slave has a child and decides to leave after 7 years; his child remains in slaved for life.
Is that correct? I didn't know that. Well, if it's in Exodus, it must be OK.

San Francisco

#148660 Jan 17, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I meant tell me why we can't be equals LOL
Well, if you are being told that you must be submissive and subjugated, that pretty much excludes the possibility of being equal, wouldn't you say? And the Bible does say that women are to be submissive to and subjugated by men, their male relatives and then their husbands specifically. So you will never be equal to your husband, or indeed any man, if you live according to what the Bible says.

Location hidden

#148661 Jan 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you probably mean semi-literate. An illiterate would not be able to read the posts or to compose responses at all, so by definition, there are no illiterates in this forum. I could also point out that there are different standards by which writing skills can be evaluated. Most people are limited to seeing flaws in grammar, spelling, or punctuation, and not well at that. But good writing is so much more than correctness.
Good writing tends to be easy to read because the words chosen correlate well to the ideas being expressed. Sentences are well constructed, and ideas are presented in a natural sequence. The flow of words, of sentences, and of paragraphs is smooth and natural and reflects an intuitive understanding of poetic technique. I find it ironic that the writers who harp the most about writing focus on such trivial aspects as spelling and punctuation while there own writing tends to be jumbled, stilted, and awkward, while some of the posts they criticize are smooth and seem less when I look past the typos and other minor flaws.
It's easy to recognize those who take pleasure in the writing process as opposed to those who regard it as a necessary but secondary task. The former are a pleasure to read even if there are errors, the latter a chore even when the grammar is perfect.
Yes of course, sem-literate, literally.

It seems to be the norm of the Internet, that people have a hard time with the simple task of typing thoughts into words.

I find myself with that struggle sometimes. I wish I could speak to my computer like they do on Star Trek. But then the posts would be far too long.

Location hidden

#148662 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that isn't what I said. Let's try again, shall we?
If one truly repents and accepts Jesus as their savior before they die, they are saved, irregardless of what they may have done in their life (unless they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit). Just saying "I believe" isn't enough.
That's what the Bible says. If you don't like it, feel free to edit it. Many other before you certainly have.
First of all, irregardless isn't a real word, except maybe to the urban dictionary.

Second, I've already shown you how your thoughts & ideas of what salvation is are flawed. I don't care to do it again.

This is what I mean by I tire of repeating myself over and over again to you people.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148663 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.
Err ~ I just posted the link LOL... perhaps you might want to teach the scientists as they have stated they are having problems working it out, but you nutted it out in a few lines!! Well done, Kitty, you are a genius!!

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148664 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.
Just a little extract from the link (hahaha I love laughing in the mornings, just purely makes my day)

***But how do emotions trigger physical sensations? Scientists do not know, but recently pain researchers uncovered a possible pathway from mind to body.***

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min Dr_Zorderz 261,622
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Seraphima 548,461
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 22 min Ghost Writer 2 U 750,281
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 24 min Molly the jewess 118,650
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 46 min Senecus 602,159
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 46 min An NFL Fan 37,256
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 59 min Remnant of 144000 38,863
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 10 hr girls united states 125

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE