Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
142,441 - 142,460 of 224,352 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148292
Jan 15, 2013
 
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ww2.valdosta.edu/~cbarn bau/astro_demos/distance/dist_ from_sun.html
Check how long it takes for sunlight to hit the various planets and portions of the universe. Don't forget to figure in the inverse square law and it's loss of strength.
It takes 8 minutes to reach Earth, 45 for Jupiter, and 75 for Saturn.
15,000 W/CM^2 is the intensity of sunlight at Saturn.
But if you were in it's atmosphere it would probably always be near dark.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148293
Jan 15, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The intensity is the same, the area is smaller.
Looking at the sun from Saturn will make you just as blind as looking at it from here. The only difference is the amount of area damaged in the area it hits. Here it is about the size of an pencil erasure , there it would be the size of a ball point pin.
Both would make you blind in no time.
Bullshit. You would have to stare at it for a long time. By your logic you would go blind looking at stars.

http://www.geofflawrence.com/inverse_square_l...

Saturn is what, 9 times further away?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148294
Jan 15, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> 15,000 W/CM^2 is the intensity of sunlight at Saturn.
But if you were in it's atmosphere it would probably always be near dark.
If you were on a planet in its orbit it would be like looking at a dimmer scene in a movie theater.

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148295
Jan 15, 2013
 
Because you bi polar screaming freak nobody knows what he really looked like and that's because we have no historical proof he even existed.

The current Jesus image was stolen from Apollo.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know that they have portrayed the image of JESUS wrong?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148296
Jan 15, 2013
 
There is no way the planets could be regarded as gods viewed from the perspective of today. They are just too small and insignificant. However, if this planet, and man, originated further out and closer to them, they would take on much more significance. Plus the difference in orbital speeds would add much to how they were viewed and regarded.

The lighting would not be near as harsh as it is now.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148297
Jan 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Have anymore table saw finger severing accidents Grampa Simpson?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. You would have to stare at it for a long time. By your logic you would go blind looking at stars.
http://www.geofflawrence.com/inverse_square_l...
Saturn is what, 9 times further away?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148298
Jan 15, 2013
 
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. You would have to stare at it for a long time. By your logic you would go blind looking at stars.
http://www.geofflawrence.com/inverse_square_l...
Saturn is what, 9 times further away?
That's funny Dave there is no comparison of distance
between the circumference of our solar system, and the distance to the closet star.

9AU to Saturn

271,000 AU to Proxima Centauri

There is much inverse square difference between those.

You are forgetting something too. The Earth atmosphere and magnetic field is shielding us from the most intense radiation .

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148299
Jan 15, 2013
 
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Show up in a university class devoted to World War II and tell the class that your have discovered the Nazis were Christians :-)
Should be fun
Are you talking about middle America babble belt home school universities or accredited real universities

Because I have done some history at UCL, Manchester and Sterling Uni’s (only as electives but that’s beside the point) so perhaps you are asking the wrong person to believe the lies you make for your god
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats interesting, Hitler .... gassing priests and nuns.
World War II, Sept 1 1939 Invasion of Poland;ended in 1945.
Several books on this, not difficult to read....
Yes I have read some books by US christian authors trying to distance themselves from the facts, not very convincing in the face of facts which tell a different story.

Yes he gassed Jews, Gypsies and Blacks too, as well as anyone else who opposed his what he thought was right for his country, You are attributing politics to religion here, why is that?

Lets look at some of those facts that you seem adamant did not exist

Hitler was baptised as Roman Catholic
Hitler attended a catholic monastery school
Hitler was a communicant and an altar boy in the Catholic Church.
Hitler was confirmed as a “soldier of Christ.”
Hitler was NEVER excommunicated nor condemned by his church
Hitler worked CLOSELY with Pope Pius
The catholic church posted an envoy in the Nazi party advising what the catholic church would and would not accept. Facts of Hitler’s own writing
And of course there are many accounts (including his own) of his life, words and speeches – That’s not stores make up in the 60 by the American need to distance there church from the artistes of that church.

However I would like to know where you get off denying another person his religion just because you don’t like what that person did in the name of his church

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148300
Jan 15, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> That's funny Dave there is no comparison of distance
between the circumference of our solar system, and the distance to the closet star.
9AU to Saturn
271,000 AU to Proxima Centauri
There is much inverse square difference between those.
You are forgetting something too. The Earth atmosphere and magnetic field is shielding us from the most intense radiation .
I believe Jupiter and Saturn have magnetic fields, too. Plus some shade to pass through.

Tell me, Saturn is 9 times further out than Earth. What fraction of the noon sun intensity on earth would fall on it's surface? How would that relate to changes here in the day?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148301
Jan 15, 2013
 
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe Jupiter and Saturn have magnetic fields, too. Plus some shade to pass through.
Tell me, Saturn is 9 times further out than Earth. What fraction of the noon sun intensity on earth would fall on it's surface? How would that relate to changes here in the day?
Actually, Saturn ranges in distance from the sun from a bit over 9 AU to a bit over 10 AU. That means the energy intensity there varies from about 1/80 to about 1/100 that on the Earth. Now, direct sunlight has an intensity rating of about 32,000 lux, while daylight (not direct sun) has an intensity of 10-25,000 lux.

If we consider the intensity at Saturn when it is furthest from the sun, we take 1/100 of the intensities here to find about 320 lux for 'direct' sunlight on Saturn and around 100-250 lux for 'daytime' on Saturn.

Now, typical office lighting is about 320-500 lux and 'dark, overcast day' is about 100 lux. Family living room lights are about 50 lux.

The conclusion: the light on Saturn in direct sunlight is about what is found in a typical office (on the dark side of these) and is more than a dark, overcast day on Earth. It is much more than the intensity produced from a typical living room light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148302
Jan 15, 2013
 
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Saturn ranges in distance from the sun from a bit over 9 AU to a bit over 10 AU. That means the energy intensity there varies from about 1/80 to about 1/100 that on the Earth. Now, direct sunlight has an intensity rating of about 32,000 lux, while daylight (not direct sun) has an intensity of 10-25,000 lux.
If we consider the intensity at Saturn when it is furthest from the sun, we take 1/100 of the intensities here to find about 320 lux for 'direct' sunlight on Saturn and around 100-250 lux for 'daytime' on Saturn.
Now, typical office lighting is about 320-500 lux and 'dark, overcast day' is about 100 lux. Family living room lights are about 50 lux.
The conclusion: the light on Saturn in direct sunlight is about what is found in a typical office (on the dark side of these) and is more than a dark, overcast day on Earth. It is much more than the intensity produced from a typical living room light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux
In our physical comfort zone.

It should be a little brighter adding the luminescence and tiny bit of incandescent light produced by Saturn. If you were a planet orbiting it.

Kind of like a greenhouse.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148303
Jan 15, 2013
 
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Saturn ranges in distance from the sun from a bit over 9 AU to a bit over 10 AU. That means the energy intensity there varies from about 1/80 to about 1/100 that on the Earth. Now, direct sunlight has an intensity rating of about 32,000 lux, while daylight (not direct sun) has an intensity of 10-25,000 lux.
If we consider the intensity at Saturn when it is furthest from the sun, we take 1/100 of the intensities here to find about 320 lux for 'direct' sunlight on Saturn and around 100-250 lux for 'daytime' on Saturn.
Now, typical office lighting is about 320-500 lux and 'dark, overcast day' is about 100 lux. Family living room lights are about 50 lux.
The conclusion: the light on Saturn in direct sunlight is about what is found in a typical office (on the dark side of these) and is more than a dark, overcast day on Earth. It is much more than the intensity produced from a typical living room light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux
120,000 lux for direct sunlight.
The figures are different in your link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148305
Jan 15, 2013
 
Thinking wrote:
christians also opposed abolishing slavery, racial segregation and the emancipation of women.
<quoted text>
16Jan13.....

.....Christians also went in numbers and fought the muslimes in Jerusalem who were lopping off heads of those who were adverse to forced conversion.

Ps:....It was 'mostly' Christians....
who took on 'ol Hitler and ILK hAtheists in WWII along with the Red commies and da Japs....with hundreds of 'em from da UK.

....was yer daddy there!!!

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148306
Jan 15, 2013
 
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, talking about yourself in the third person is a generally a sign of excessive self love, megalomania and self-importance.
I consider you to be a crazy person. However by rejecting the old testament and its insane laws there may be a glimmer of hope for you. And btw I am not an Atheist but an exC and Agnostic.
And your talk of love of Jesus is rubbish, because what this really means in love your fellow Jews. Because the christian cult was originally just a sect with Judaism, which your priests all know but will never admit!
Jesus according to them is the same God that gave Moses those insane laws. And in the NT Jesus he does not do away with the OT. Its all very confusing because he also prays to and worships Yahweh the god of the OT. Its nonsense of course, anyone with a brain can see that ;)
16Jan13.....

Its most obvious dat you have some ency and jealousy towards BobLoblah. Most of the eeejits hereIN do as they are ALL tarred vit da same brush.

......BobLoblah dinks dat you are fulla schidt to da eyeballs.

Things about the Old Testament and New Testament are only confusing to schidt-for-brains like you. However, its better that you be an agnostic than one of those hateful, hypocritical, hAtheists that permeate this topic hereIN.

Ps:.....Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Full stop.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148307
Jan 15, 2013
 
DeckardFootKiss wrote:
<quoted text>
Still using that same ol' atheist tactic of being condescending to others? You see, there is a rational case for God and Christianity and indeed, there is a rational case for atheism. To me, evidence really does make more sense that there is a God.
I can never convince you to listen to Kent Hovid or Bob Dubko or to go on an internet search for biblical artifacts. Because if you are not willing to even listen, then why waste your time in an atheist forum when you really don't care? There is not going to be 100% proof of God to you unless you see Christ come down from the sky. And even then, you will say it was a hologram. I have strong faith because I do research and am always amazed at the new discoveries I find. I watch that Atheist Experience on YouTube sometimes and get irritated when so much of the atheist culture is about being condescending to others in hopes of winning them over to your way of thinking. I am not afraid of the thought of macro evolution, if I truly thought it were fact, I would believe it. Here's 100 Reasons Why Evolution Is Stupid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I thought for a moment this was really a joke, but I can see you are serious. Do you know anything about Kent Hovind? Anything at all besides his insane rants against the facts of evolution? I'm wondering why anyone would consider his position? He is completely uneducated and certainly has no science background. Of course you do realize he is serving a 10 years in a federal prison for a number of tax offensives and money scams. He attended Mid-Western Baptist college and received his degree in RELIGIOUS EDUCATION. The college is a NON_ACCREDITED COLLEGE. The degree is worthless. He went on to receive his maters and doctorate from Patriot University. This is yet another NON-ACCEDITED College. He did this through a correspondence course. The program is no longer valid. Patriot University is a degree mill. You can get a degree in religious education for $25.00 in about a month. Want a real laugh, google Patriot University and look at the picture. It looks like a house trailer that has been converted into a garage, LOL.

This moonbat calles himself a "DOCTOR" He has no science background, is obviously a charlatan, a snake oil salesmen , yet people like you actually think he has valid points about evolution. Why isn't gullibility one of the 10 commandments? When you grow up try reading some big boy books on what 99% of all scientists consider to be factual, EVOLUTION.

All you have to do is realize that there have been 135,000 articles published in reputable scientific journals and periodical in support of the facts concerning evolution, and not ONE....ZERO articles to refute evolution, why is that? Please don't site articles written by creationists or articles from creation science, that alone is the worlds biggest oxymoron. See if you can find some articles in reputable peer review publications that refute the fact of evolution. Good luck, there aren't any!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148308
Jan 15, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
120,000 lux for direct sunlight.
The figures are different in your link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight
The light strength is about 1/81 of that falling on a square inch of Earth as he said. That is a lot of f stops for a given shutter speed. But if you are an orbiting planet you can add what hits you to what is also reflected, and a tiny bit emitted, by Saturn. Let's not forget geothermal infrared emitted by said planet and Saturn.

Which is more comfortable for a human being, standing in the shade, or an office, or out in the hot sun?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148309
Jan 15, 2013
 
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The light strength is about 1/81 of that falling on a square inch of Earth as he said. That is a lot of f stops for a given shutter speed. But if you are an orbiting planet you can add what hits you to what is also reflected, and a tiny bit emitted, by Saturn. Let's not forget geothermal infrared emitted by said planet and Saturn.
Which is more comfortable for a human being, standing in the shade, or an office, or out in the hot sun?
Stellar magnitude Illuminance
Lux

Sun overhead -26.7 130000
Full daylight (not direct sun)-24 to -25 10000-25000
Overcast day -21 1000
Very dark overcast day -19 100
Twilight -16 10
Deep twilight -14 1
1 Candela at 1 meter distance -13.9 1.00
Full Moon overhead -12.5 0.267
Total starlight + airglow -6 2E-3
Total starlight only -5 2E-4
Venus at brightest -4.3 1.4E-4
Total starlight at overcast night -4 1E-4
Sirius -1.4 1E-5
0th-mag star 0 2.7E-6
1st-mag star +1 1.0E-6
6th-mag star +6 1.0E-8

1/100th 130,000 lux

1300 lux

Overcast day 1000

30% Brighter than overcast day, but still you couldn't look directly at the sun I don't think. Pretty sure it would permanently blind you.

http://stjarnhimlen.se/comp/radfaq.html

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148310
Jan 15, 2013
 
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php...

Let's talk evolution.

Organic life requires water. It requires water to even form to begin the process of evolution. It requires a fairly stable temperature for it to sustain itself enough to even evolve. This is true down to the lowest level.

Watch the dew evaporate. It does it on cold days. It isn't radiant heat evaporating it, it is energy absorption causing the molecules to separate. Diamagnetism.

Look at the Big Bang theory. Got hot and "exploded".

Earth in its present location is just not conducive for life to spring out of nowhere. Too much variation. However, life that started someplace else could adapt.

EM. THE energetic force that creates everything you can see or touch. It started somewhere.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148311
Jan 15, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Stellar magnitude Illuminance
Lux
Sun overhead -26.7 130000
Full daylight (not direct sun)-24 to -25 10000-25000
Overcast day -21 1000
Very dark overcast day -19 100
Twilight -16 10
Deep twilight -14 1
1 Candela at 1 meter distance -13.9 1.00
Full Moon overhead -12.5 0.267
Total starlight + airglow -6 2E-3
Total starlight only -5 2E-4
Venus at brightest -4.3 1.4E-4
Total starlight at overcast night -4 1E-4
Sirius -1.4 1E-5
0th-mag star 0 2.7E-6
1st-mag star +1 1.0E-6
6th-mag star +6 1.0E-8
1/100th 130,000 lux
1300 lux
Overcast day 1000
30% Brighter than overcast day, but still you couldn't look directly at the sun I don't think. Pretty sure it would permanently blind you.
http://stjarnhimlen.se/comp/radfaq.html
How bright is your computer monitor in comparison?

Would you go blind staring at the center of the galaxy? Lots of light coming from that direction.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148312
Jan 15, 2013
 
The Big Bang was hot so duh duh life could not have come from that!

That's our duh duh Dave the garage magnet man.
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.ph p?record_id=11919&page=69
Let's talk evolution.
Organic life requires water. It requires water to even form to begin the process of evolution. It requires a fairly stable temperature for it to sustain itself enough to even evolve. This is true down to the lowest level.
Watch the dew evaporate. It does it on cold days. It isn't radiant heat evaporating it, it is energy absorption causing the molecules to separate. Diamagnetism.
Look at the Big Bang theory. Got hot and "exploded".
Earth in its present location is just not conducive for life to spring out of nowhere. Too much variation. However, life that started someplace else could adapt.
EM. THE energetic force that creates everything you can see or touch. It started somewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

428 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WE THE PEOPLE Are Not Laughing Anymore 4 min Patriot 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min It aint necessarily so 721,086
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 32 min Chess 532,917
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 37 min AussieBobby 256,645
Aiding the hearing impaired 51 min Michael Mason 9
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 55 min Johnny 1,543
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr shyam 501
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr godChild 115,281
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 12 hr kalei 79
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 16 hr Drom Jagter 54
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••