Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148074 Jan 13, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't "believe in atheism." For me, atheism is the result of applying my natural skepticism to the various ideas to which I've been exposed over a lifetime. Some hold up to scrutiny, others do not. Those that don't include most if not all conspiracy theories, most "New Age" ideas about medicine, and the notion that supernatural forces or agencies control the physical universe or the destinies of intelligent beings, or that such entities exist at all. Atheism isn't a belief system for me, just the rejection of a specific set of commonly held beliefs that fail to hold up to intense scrutiny.
There are no links because I came to atheism independently--it was, in fact, part of a process of reestablishing my intellectual independence after a long period of conformity. In the process, I did augment my grasp of formal logic, which was a big help in recognizing ideas that stand on shaky ground or have no real foundation at all.
Having settled most religious questions to my own satisfaction,they interfere with the clarity of vision that most skeptics seek.
I hope that you will learn to do that as well.
I was exposed to Atheism through my father. His father and my grandfather was a religious man at times. On Saturday nights he would go out behind the barn and break all his whisky bottles. Of course he was half drunk by then.

Then on Sunday he would be all cleaned up and ready to teach Sunday School. Come Monday he would be back behind the barn looking for any bottles that he may have missed. Not to finish breaking them but finish them off if you know what I mean.

Many years of watching this hypocrisy seared my Dads heart and mind toward religion. He came to the conclusion which many of you did that religion is all fake. There was no God and never was in his mind. He went on to embrace evolution to its fullest.

He had a brilliant mind. Capable of remembering great details in history. He became an astute genealogist for the area he lived in. We had lots of discussions on God and religion.

I on the other hand began to experiment with the thought of God despite my sweet Dad’s belief. I began to pray alone in absolute secrecy to see if I could contact this unseen being we call God. To see if he was real or if it was all part of a imagination.

What I found out for myself that indeed God was real. Beyond any shadow of doubt. Beyond one’s imagination, I know without any doubt God is real. God can’t be proven but he can be experienced. I can’t tell you the amazing absolutely unbelievable things I have seen God do. You simply would not believe them.

I love everyone of you Atheist. I see my fathers skepticism in all of you. Many of you are good down to earth folks. This is why I’m here. I have used your skepticism to learn more about the bible and God. You have helped me become even more sincere about what I believe.

I thank you for all that you have done. God Bless…….

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148075 Jan 13, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mental Illness? You are confusing one’s rights under the Constitution as a mental illness?
We Sir, have unalienable rights given to us by our country. You nor anyone else can prohibit the free exercise thereof of. The right of freedom of religion.
It’s not mental illness but freedom. Freedom that you can’t take away because we have,“Certain Unalienable Rights.”
You have it half right, Eagle.

You do have a right, under the Constitution, to be mentally ill.

You have freedom to exercise mental illness.

Just so long as you don't interfere with others' Constitutional rights.

I'm not saying you're mentally ill by the way.

Nor am I saying you're not.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148076 Jan 13, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. described bigotry in the following quotation:
"The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract."[2]
Pithy, but not very insightful. The human eye adapts to a wide variety of lighting conditions, but as the pupil contracts, it also delivers better resolution as the cones are more fully engaged and as the image projected onto them becomes sharper and clearer.

In very low light, people can see shapes, but not colors, and the shapes are poorly defined. The image projected onto the macular region is less sharp, and only the rods are activated, which populate the macular region much more sparsely than cones, also recharging and retransmitting at a slower rate.

The main problem with disparaging the mind of a bigot lies in its assumption of superiority that comes from the assumption that the speaker has no areas of bigotry in his own makeup. That assumption of superiority is itself the foundation of bigotry and ridding ourselves of it is a lifelong task for all of us.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148077 Jan 13, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't "believe in atheism." For me, atheism is the result of applying my natural skepticism to the various ideas to which I've been exposed over a lifetime. Some hold up to scrutiny, others do not. Those that don't include most if not all conspiracy theories, most "New Age" ideas about medicine, and the notion that supernatural forces or agencies control the physical universe or the destinies of intelligent beings, or that such entities exist at all. Atheism isn't a belief system for me, just the rejection of a specific set of commonly held beliefs that fail to hold up to intense scrutiny.
There are no links because I came to atheism independently--it was, in fact, part of a process of reestablishing my intellectual independence after a long period of conformity. In the process, I did augment my grasp of formal logic, which was a big help in recognizing ideas that stand on shaky ground or have no real foundation at all.
Having settled most religious questions to my own satisfaction, I am now more interested in discussing a wider range of ideas with fellow atheists than in contending with the believers who insists on turning every discussion into debates on religion vs atheism. But every once in a while, one who seems to be ernest and honest attracts my attention. I have no interest in changing what you believe, but I would like to see you become more intellectually rigorous. The brand of mild paranoia, for instance, that lies at the heart of every conspiracy theory I've encountered (including some that I once believed in) is heavily present in your posts about the "evils" of modern medicine and food production. At the heart of that paranoia, along with fear, is a desire to be among a better informed elite. These emotional quirks are quite common even among folks who are rigorously skeptical in most ways, but they interfere with the clarity of vision that most skeptics seek.
Why this emphasis on skepticism, you may wonder? Rational skepticism, along with solid logic and an ability to research topics of interest, is the quality that keeps us from falling for every new and exciting idea that comes along without looking to see whether it has any merit. At the same time, we should beware of irrational skepticism, which is rejecting ideas out of hand without looking to see whether they have merit. When encountering a new idea or taking a new look at an old one, the rational skeptic's initial reaction is usually, "That's interesting. I wonder if it's true." It is rarely, if ever, "Okay, that makes sense. I can believe that." Rational skeptics learn to reserve judgment until enough is known to form a reasonable and defensible opinion.
I hope that you will learn to do that as well.
I have followed my pathway and have many reasons for my Faith. I don't wonder if it is true; I know it is :)

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148078 Jan 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
And what's the deal with whales?
I guess some of the fishies decided to grow some legs and skin and lungs and walk on land, but then some of them decided "man, it's better in the water", so they went back into the water but they kept their lungs but lost our legs.
Strange...
LOL...... the logic of science allows them to change their minds when they realise they were wrong :)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148079 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>LOL...... the logic of science allows them to change their minds when they realise they were wrong :)
Well Serah , do you not change your mind when you

_realize_ you are wrong?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#148080 Jan 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-life.
Non-life? You mean like a Hydrogen atom? Or a Carbon atom? Or are you talking about molecules or compounds?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#148081 Jan 13, 2013
All it takes to be an atheist is a little understanding of science, no understanding of religion and a whole lot of faith that the God they fear isn't real.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#148082 Jan 13, 2013
Wrathbone wrote:
All it takes to be an atheist is a little understanding of science, no understanding of religion and a whole lot of faith that the God they fear isn't real.
Atheists don't fear gods. You do understand what the word atheist means, right?
sarafina

Denver, CO

#148083 Jan 13, 2013
When you understand why atheists dismiss all possible gods, you will understand why they are in denial.

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#148084 Jan 13, 2013
sarafina wrote:
When you understand why atheists dismiss all possible gods, you will understand why they are in denial.
I'm in denial?

Please, do elaborate.
Lincoln

United States

#148085 Jan 13, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

..........First Amendment
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
Congress can not establish religion.
Question is regarding the 50 States.
With six Roman Catholics and Three Members of the Jewish Faith on the Supreme Court watch for answers.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148086 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-life? You mean like a Hydrogen atom? Or a Carbon atom? Or are you talking about molecules or compounds?
I wasn't talking about anything, just answered an obvious question.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#148087 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I lost all respect for most of the Atheists on here. They slam the fundie for not looking at the facts, basing their beliefs on feelings and indoctrination; and then they do the same damn thing.
Have a good one, KK!
hello again...I see you are gaining Wisdom and Insight.... You are a wise man. "Seek and ye shall find" SL
Have a Godly Day!:)

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148088 Jan 13, 2013
sarafina wrote:
We dismiss impossible gods too.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148089 Jan 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't talking about anything, just answered an obvious question.
It is obvious that you people have no clue what you are talking about and it is obvious that you do not care.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148090 Jan 13, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
hello again...I see you are gaining Wisdom and Insight.... You are a wise man. "Seek and ye shall find" SL
Have a Godly Day!:)
What is a "godly day"? Shall I wipe out a village because one among them did not believe? Shall I stone my daughter for not being a virgin? Stone my son for talking back to me?

What do you mean by, "godly day"?
Lincoln

United States

#148091 Jan 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
We dismiss impossible gods too.
You then embrace the Possible Gods?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#148092 Jan 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
You then embrace the Possible Gods?
Only the proven ones.
Serah

Australia

#148093 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What is 'dead matter'?
The result of a big bang

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min It aint necessari... 775,656
Last Word + 2 9 min andet1987 980
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min WasteWater 265,193
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 13 min andet1987 4,459
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 16 min andet1987 1,282
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 18 min Blk Thndr 605,052
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min June VanDerMark 559,649
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Chris Clearwater 175,684
More from around the web