Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
142,021 - 142,040 of 226,389 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147851 Jan 10, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
... and a G instead if an M... Sorry, it won't wash. You obviously had the two words confused. Why not just admit it? Folks will overlook mistakes more easily than they will dishonesty.
Hey, when I make mistakes I admit it.

I know the difference.

I misspelled.

Toguh shit.

Location hidden

#147852 Jan 10, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
No, independent verification means that other scientists are able to duplicate the original results each and every time that they undertake the same process. It's not just others saying, "Oh, yeah, that's right." Maybe you're thinking of peer review, where a group of scientists in the same field look over one scientist's work for errors in the process before publication or its results. Peer review is usually rigorous--scientists are notoriously competitive with others in their specialties--but not perfect.
I'm not suggesting it happens a lot - or even often, but I'm sure it does happen.

Think about it.

There's a book called Merchants of Doubt, which spells out ways that scientists work together to achieve a goal for their own interests and the interests of politicians. That interest is money.

"small numbers of people can have large, negative impacts, especially if they are organised, determined and have access to power".

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#147853 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good. Then anyone that thinks ToE is fact is ignorant.
"Life on Earth originated and then evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
There are no facts to support that claim.....
False. There are a great many facts to support that claim, ranging from paleontology, to genetics, to comparative anatomy ,geology, and mineralogy.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147854 Jan 10, 2013
Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species representing changes through time. Taxonomy and DNA shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together.

Creationism is the practice of squeezing one’s eyes shut and wailing “Does not!"

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147855 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not suggesting it happens a lot - or even often, but I'm sure it does happen.
Think about it.
There's a book called Merchants of Doubt, which spells out ways that scientists work together to achieve a goal for their own interests and the interests of politicians. That interest is money.
"small numbers of people can have large, negative impacts, especially if they are organised, determined and have access to power".
And exactly what would 150 years of cover ups and hush money falsified evidence etc. to advance the ToE hope to attain from such a conspiracy??

Location hidden

#147856 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. There are a great many facts to support that claim, ranging from paleontology, to genetics, to comparative anatomy ,geology, and mineralogy.
Suppositions. That's all you have.

Location hidden

#147857 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
And exactly what would 150 years of cover ups and hush money falsified evidence etc. to advance the ToE hope to attain from such a conspiracy??
Accumulation if wealth.

But it's not only limited to aspects of ToE, but all aspects of science.

Science can be perfect, it's the humans that f_ck it up.

Location hidden

#147858 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species representing changes through time. Taxonomy and DNA shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together.
Creationism is the practice of squeezing one’s eyes shut and wailing “Does not!"
"Skeptics" & "humanists" are in the practice of covering their eyes and screaming "DOES TO! I READ THAT ONE TIME, SOMEWHERE IN A SCIENCE MAGAZINE. IT HAS TO BE TRUE!!"

Location hidden

#147859 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Suppositions. That's all you have.
No we have a timeline from the most primitive beginnings of life till now. Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since , to what you see now. This is not guess work , it is evidence
collected by studying the Earth geological history.
KJV

United States

#147860 Jan 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I don't find miscarriage funny, so why are you laughing?
You are a twisted retard with no values.
LOL
KJV

United States

#147861 Jan 10, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Or the irony is just too great.
Well I would not call a meter that breaks every time it's used great. Maybe you're wiring it up wrong?
KJV

United States

#147862 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, it's an ongoing process of development. The advancements are slow and incremental. For most forums, the ones we have now do quite well, but when fundamentalist Christians are around, they tend to blow fuses because the irony level is just so high.
So the newer models have fuses to prevent breakage? One should not use a 16 penny nail as a fuse replacement!
Unless you want to see where the smoke is coming from.
KJV

United States

#147863 Jan 10, 2013
madscot wrote:
I see, well I just copied that from the urban dictionary. They will have up date there definition.

Location hidden

#147864 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No we have a timeline from the most primitive beginnings of life till now. Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since , to what you see now. This is not guess work , it is evidence
collected by studying the Earth geological history.
"Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since"

As I said, suppositions.....
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#147865 Jan 10, 2013
I don't find miscarriage funny, so why are you laughing?
You are a twisted retard with no values.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL

Location hidden

#147867 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since"
As I said, suppositions.....

Not supposed it is clear and can be shown definitively in series from the first bacteria to microbes then proto- prokaryotes evolved into prokaryotes then the split between bacteria and archaea life happened, next Photosynthesizing cyanobacteria formed stromatolites and produced enough oxygen that the atmosphere like today developed.

In what is called The Great Oxidation Event gave rise to Eukaryotic cells which made the stromatolites increase in diversity and Sexual reproduction in organisms now appear. Next Simple multicellular organisms evolve creating protozoa then a period of ice called "Snowball Earth" happened but as the Earth warmed the The Ediacaran biota appears then extinction recovers to
form the Cambrian explosion. where the first fungus and sea sponges
and corals develop, next chordates, arthropods ,echinoderms, mollusks, brachiopods, foraminifers and radiolarians, appear with the first foot prints on land. 550 mya today.

There is a steady stream in the evolution of organisms from this point on which is highly documented.
Lincoln

United States

#147868 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
There are different interpretations of evolution.

Intelligent Design is a Christian belief not based on science.

The US is basically a Christian nation economically and politically.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#147869 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Skeptics" & "humanists" are in the practice of covering their eyes and screaming "DOES TO! I READ THAT ONE TIME, SOMEWHERE IN A SCIENCE MAGAZINE. IT HAS TO BE TRUE!!"
Have you seen even one skeptic that does that?

Because if you have, I'd argue that they weren't skeptics.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147870 Jan 10, 2013
Oh I understand and agree it is fun making them squirm about how they all see god a bit differently than other believers. Sadly it is this that leads to so much death war and violence. The basic notion or concept of deities we all know. The so called invisible sky wizard for the majority of theists today.
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Christians believe in a God that created a Hell for unbelievers to suffer for eternity, while other Christians believe in a God that did not create a Hell. These are not the same god, yet each type of Christian get their beliefs from the Bible. There are so many ways of interpreting the Bible, that there is no Christian definition for God. There are only similarities between all the different definitions. The similarities often apply to gods with other names from other religions.
When I tell you to think about cars, you probably visualize cars that you've actually seen before. If you've never seen a car, and only had a description, visualizing a car relies a lot on interpretation and imagination. If I gave a description of a car to a thousand people who have never seen one, the interpretations and visualization in all those people would be different. If I contradicted myself in describing the car, used metaphor without letting you know, translated the description several times, let Ford and Chevy fight out what was truly Carlike, and made claims about the car that seemed impossible, what would you expect?
Now I never said that cars had leather seats, but I didn't say they didn't have leather seats. If you like leather jackets, you might suppose the Car has leather seats, because you like leather.
A lot of theists rely heavily on the appeal to popularity. When you separate one from the herd, they don't like that. The question of which god to believe in becomes more interesting when it's demonstrated that a different interpretation of a god in one religion is just as different from other interpretations as they are from gods of different origins. The difference between a God that didn't create a Hell and one that did is so vast that it is disingenuous to call them by the same name.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147871 Jan 10, 2013
God didn't change? In that case why did he have to go on a suicide mission to forgive us? Why couldn't he just say I forgive you for your sins.

Sorry but the deity of the Old Testament to the New Testament are night and day different.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Check what?
I didn't say God changed or learned something new. He didn't.
WE changed. OUR rules changed. WE learned something new - something God taught us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm SO GLAD the St. Louis Rams cut Michelle Sam... 3 min Doctor REALITY 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 539,171
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min feces for jesus 94,689
Good bye Michael Sam 3 min yon 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Rosa_Winkel 733,206
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 min Student 38,628
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 11 min Rosa_Winkel 441,192
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 18 min TIM958 600,008
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 23 min Johnny 2,454
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 31 min Dr_Zorderz 258,070
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••